Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th July 2007, 14:01   #331
Senior - BHPian

well said mac. for starters, arving at mul doesnt bother to get you your car ever. i ve tried umpteen times he doesnt have answers. is there some authority where we can use something like RTI to get the details of what really is happening with maruti? i wish there was something like that.

my point is not that the moment you book you must have the car, atleast the company can be considerate enough to allot you a booking number which can be tracked on the net to save themselves lots of headache. that ways we can nail dealers who use priority bookings to other avenues like siphoning off cars to others.

wish maruti read this post instead of seeing scoop pictures of sx4 and complaining. i dare maruti to now respond to this email.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 14:47   #332
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
wish maruti read this post
Done. Will see if some people I know can actually bring up this issue.

Oh btw guys, this coming 15th we are having a single day trip. I have posted the details in the TBHP meet section. It would be lovely to have you all join us.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th July 2007 at 14:49.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 15:00   #333
Team-BHP Support

OT: i seriously dont understand this issue, when Honda or some other manufacturer has waiting period no cries?? and when maruti has big issue, its not manufacturer but the dealers who are to be blamed.

i still remember the difficulty in getting my iKON, my bros Crv and a friends NHC when it was launched.

Any new car launched will have a waiting period if buyers run after it, and all these dealers (3 different ones) were absolutely rude and was not responding (after the payment was made) and until some serious contacts were found within the dealer.

see its simple demand vs supply issue and nobody thought that these new models will have so many takers.

yeah dealer manipulating delivery is an issue and all the above mentioned cars were delivered early using influence

FYI there is a tracking number for maruti right from the time when you make the booking and to some extend maruti can help you follow up.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 20:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

jaggu, its not the waiting period that disturbs, its the dealer and company attitude in keeping customers informed that sucks big time and disappoints many.

when maruti launches a car that outperforms competition w.r.t features and performance, IT MUST correctly estimate the demand vs supply and not underestimate by 2/3 rds almost! it only shows they have no trust on their own prowess in the market!

hopefully for grand vitara they have the calculations right atleast one last time, unlike swift diesel and sx4. and maruti has to either keep delivery details completely under wraps, or rap dealers who try siphoning off cars meant for others, to their own buddies and known people. maruti has to enforce some sort of protocol for the same.
Old 5th July 2007, 20:43   #335
Team-BHP Support

geek, MUL has a good product so simple logic and no MBA stuff here.

Either they can price it exhorbitantly high, loose customers and finally land up cutting price (they kinda of perfected it with Baleno) OR Price it aggressively and loose out on some customers who might not want to wait, and rather bank on whole set of other customers who really dont mind the wait and more looking at VFM (which majority of the indian buyers are).

You and me are just one small group of better educated consumers as far as maruti is concerned.

as far as i know, maruti is a company with too many model portfolio and 2 plants to manufacture all these, and trust me they really have done their ground work and might not be really able to help even if they want to. and i still feel that the way MUL (not dealer) followed up with me during and after purchase was AMAZING.

Regarding dealers no comments cos each and every one of them have a story or the other. again siphoning off happens with all dealers, from your local hamara bajaj to mercedes and none of the manufacturer has a tight control on this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th July 2007 at 20:46.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 21:17   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
geek, MUL has a good product so simple logic and no MBA stuff here.
A company may not always be able to meet demand. Honda had waiting periods for Civic and city a one point of time. Spark is only available to display in some cities, and they are not able to deliver cars. Logan is not yet available in our part of the world.

And this happens in bike companies also. There are huge waiting periods for P220 DTSFi, P200 DTSi, certain colours of ZMA. I had to wait more than a month to get my P180 DTSi (And complain to Rajiv Bajaj about indefferent attitude of the dealer)

Maruti has two good products and they are bound to have good demand. And it happened that the demand is beyond their capacity. Its not that Maruti is sitting simply. They are in the process in expanding production, right?

All said, I perfectly understand the mindset of the people who have booked the car. Its a period of anxiety and eagerness. have gone through that. But no use in blaming the company for producing a good car that has demand.

One more thing, dealers are not above costumers. if they are indifferent, write to the companies. OR write to the magazines (trust me- this works. OVERDRIVE called up Rajiv Bajaj to put forward my case)

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 12:32   #337
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And this happens in bike companies also. There are huge waiting periods for P220 DTSFi, P200 DTSi, certain colours of ZMA. I had to wait more than a month to get my P180 DTSi (And complain to Rajiv Bajaj about indefferent attitude of the dealer)
Oh yeah, Honda Activa still has a waiting list even after the long time it has been in market. And Honda is cash rich enough to invest more. So its definitely not Maruti alone.

And btw March was a bad month, interest rates have gone up, overcapacity due to a new launch will be difficult to justify in the longer run.
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 15:24   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not that Maruti is sitting simply. They are in the process in expanding production, right?
Hmm, look at Khattar's interview India Earnings >> Maruti Udyog >> News & Company Overview.

Quote:
The SX4 and Swift are being produced at our new plant, which has a capacity of 100,000. We are producing above 7,000 and 2,500 units of Swift and SX4 respectively. We are already working at over 100% capacity. There is no possibility of increasing volumes at present. This is only possible when our expansion comes into being and that is some time away.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 21:40   #339
Senior - BHPian

hmmm..... i guess i just got a first hand experience of a wait for a car and i somehow felt low waiting waiting all the while. whether the wait was worth it is another thing, but hopefully all these companies could invest more in plants to keep up with supply
Old 6th July 2007, 22:25   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
but hopefully all these companies could invest more in plants to keep up with supply
That is something they wouldn't look forward to actually. Once the initial hype dies down sales will get steady and there might be a large difference in the sales. Point in case, it will anyday take them more investment to build a larger manufacturing plant to keep up with the initial supply and then idle some of the sections for the lack/drop in sales unless they have a steady order for exporting. They would prefer having longer waiting periods and a smaller manufacturing plant. The advantage with this is, customers will still be willing to pay large amounts to book the car. So its a win win situation for them either ways. It goes without saying that almost all manufacturers will adopt to this. They are here to make money aren't they? Whether it comes in the way of cost cutting or putting down a lower initial investment or selling more cars doesn't matter businesswise. Its the annual figures that do the talking.
Old 6th July 2007, 22:29   #341
Senior - BHPian

Strangely, I don't see many SX4 either. Maybe it is taking that much longer to come to chennai ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 22:30   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Strangely, I don't see many SX4 either. Maybe it is taking that much longer to come to chennai ?
Given the SUV GC that it has most owners must be enjoying out in the country sides. No wonder you don't see them in the city.
Old 7th July 2007, 15:51   #343
BHPian

BTW, this time my mileage in city drive was 12 ! Guess this is maximum I could get.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 18:50   #344
Senior - BHPian

12Kmpl in the city[I am assuming this time too its with the AC on],is fabulous very much in line with maruti's expectation.

On a different note,Think beige seems to be the preferred colour for sx4,just seen the order books of a dealer and beige seems to be the colour in favor with white being the next choice.I never expected these two colours to be doing better than the others atleast.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 7th July 2007 at 18:55.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 13:54   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well said mac. for starters, arving at mul doesnt bother to get you your car ever. i ve tried umpteen times he doesnt have answers. is there some authority where we can use something like RTI to get the details of what really is happening with maruti? i wish there was something like that.

my point is not that the moment you book you must have the car, atleast the company can be considerate enough to allot you a booking number which can be tracked on the net to save themselves lots of headache. that ways we can nail dealers who use priority bookings to other avenues like siphoning off cars to others.

wish maruti read this post instead of seeing scoop pictures of sx4 and complaining. i dare maruti to now respond to this email.
Deja-vu ,just going through all this myself now.Let me start from the salesperson ,at that time the particular person promised my parents priority delivery at the earliest which was supposed to be in 15 days flat.And my parents fell for it,sad part is they booked it so I would get it on my birthday seems like that might just come true I will get the car on my birthday alright but next year.

Then comes the arrogance part of the dealers,they ask you to pay full amount so they can expedite the process.Fine we do that also but once you pay the money these people behave as though they don't know you.My parents make an inquiry and these people hardly bother to even give any sort of details.Finally it takes a stern voice from me to hear that car is in transit and would arrive in 10 days time.10days pass and I am given a reason that floods have delayed shipment.Now its nearly a month since my car is in transit ,where is maruti's factory in the north pole,even then it would have reached faster.

Maruti plays the helpless card so no help from that side either.Its one thing being able to attract the premium segment customer but in this segment there is much more than that,when a person pays 8 lakhs he expects much much more from the service end not the same maruti 800 treatment.

Now where maruti went wrong,they obviously did not train their dealers to offer that extra special treatment for the 8 lakh segment car customers.I don't mind waiting but please treat the customers well.The next mistake is 2500 cars per month,what was maruti thinking.Look at the benchmark in the segment the honda city it sells more than 2500,so does the verna and the fiesta.

If a miracle takes place I would own a sx4 by tomorrow but that is the end of that,never again a maruti.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 8th July 2007 at 14:08. Reason: grammatical mistake,guess temper got the better of me
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote