Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st July 2007, 18:37   #481
Senior - BHPian

the engine noise inside the cabin is something we have to live with. the cabin insulation from all side is not upto mark. MUL could have done better. btw, I have yet to contact my dealer for the clutch issue which some owners had mentioned here..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 19:45   #482
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Folks - this is a great forum & thread !

I have a Silky Silver ZXi that was delivered around 11 days ago.

Sathya - I had got the clutch replaced within 3 days of delivery by pratham. I believe they are doing it out of precaution & prempting any issues - based on feedback on the batch performance. I guess they would have seen a field problem and taken a call to replace it. Though I did not see any problem - it seemed a bit hard earlier & now it feels okay.

There are two other things that I am not very happy about: (a) the very audible engine grunt during idling & other times and (b) you can feel the running vibration in the gear shift lever if you hold it while running in 3rd gear. Pratham Service folks say its normal, though I am not convinced. While the engine is smooth, I would have expected complete silence inside for a car of this calibre.

Do others see this as well ?
I did not see the engine grunt, but then I did not expect complete silence :-)

I was getting the vibration and it was reduced in my 1st service.

VBV
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:31   #483
BHPian

How about an angel eye in SX4
angel eyes
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:23   #484
BHPian

Regarding reverse gear which few folks mentioned - I did not see much of an issue. Yes it is not silky smooth - like say for example the old Zen - but not much of an issue. In general, I found gear shift to be quite okay. Only case I found is that when you want to shift from 5th to 4th - it is not falling into place so easily. It is better to shift from 5th to 3rd and then go to 4th.

By the way I have installed the rear parking sensor and feel it is quite useful. while it may not be the ultimate thing - it does help.
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:27   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
the engine noise inside the cabin is something we have to live with. the cabin insulation from all side is not upto mark. MUL could have done better. btw, I have yet to contact my dealer for the clutch issue which some owners had mentioned here..
Wont it be better to go for after-market insulation work?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:31   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Folks - this is a great forum & thread !

I have a Silky Silver ZXi that was delivered around 11 days ago.
Welcome to TBHP and SX4 club!

Quote:
Sathya - I had got the clutch replaced within 3 days of delivery by pratham. I believe they are doing it out of precaution & prempting any issues - based on feedback on the batch performance. I guess they would have seen a field problem and taken a call to replace it. Though I did not see any problem - it seemed a bit hard earlier & now it feels okay.
Cool, I tried to contact other dealers to see if they also replace, but in vain. I will see if anyone replies in the thread about this.

Evening I got my car delivered with clutch replaced (he mentioned there are 3 parts in clutch, one of them got replaced), also the oil had to be changed he said. I too felt it is smooth now than earlier, let me see for next few days - if it continues to be so, then it adds to driving pleasure of wonderful SX4!!

BTW, since power windows switch gone bad, he claimed to have replaced whole unit - in night I can't see if it looks new, let me confirm tomorrow.

Overall it costed nothing - since all were covered under warrenty. Additionally he water washed the car and cleaned interiors for free. Do they do it normally (if not, I can feel happy about it )?

Quote:
There are two other things that I am not very happy about: (a) the very audible engine grunt during idling & other times and (b) you can feel the running vibration in the gear shift lever if you hold it while running in 3rd gear. Pratham Service folks say its normal, though I am not convinced. While the engine is smooth, I would have expected complete silence inside for a car of this calibre.

Do others see this as well ?
(a) My brother who drives Palio says he can't find if my car's engine is on or off since it is so silent, I too felt the diff clearly between SX4 & Palio (n even many other cars). If it is very much audible for you, then there may be issues. Why not try to capture sound and post?

(b) I never felt it, are you riding in very high speeds in 3rd gear?

However the engine noise at high speeds is definitely noticeable.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:33   #487
BHPian

I also filled 35psi and feel that gives better ride than 33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Earlier I used to fill 34, now I fill 35PS and I am seeing that it gives 12 kmpl - of course PS is not only factor decides FE but it definitely influences. Let me continue with 35 and see if I get constant FE.

Others, what do you fill?
Old 31st July 2007, 21:34   #488
Senior - BHPian

^^The SX4 engine is noisy at idling speeds... Me and my friend drove to the showroom in my cedia. The difference was apparent almost immediately.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 22:41   #489
BHPian

Quote:
(a) My brother who drives Palio says he can't find if my car's engine is on or off since it is so silent, I too felt the diff clearly between SX4 & Palio (n even many other cars). If it is very much audible for you, then there may be issues. Why not try to capture sound and post?

Got to agree with Satya. Engine noise and vibration is noticeable only after 2.5K-3K. I too find it very silent at lower RPMs.
spetnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 23:54   #490
Senior - BHPian

Yes..I agree with Satya too on this..cross 2500 rpm and engine revs is audible..but its pleasing.. kinda of race car revs.. Also, I noticed that the engine noise seems more prominent when the integrated music player is ON with high volume (when in low gears)... and the fact that I had to switch off the music player just to make sure the noise is not from the engine... probably the noise prostrates into the speakers... but I am not TOO sure..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:39   #491
VBV
BHPian

I feel engine noise has to do with expectations. My friend has a civic and another has a skoda petrol, both of them felt the sound and I did not. However even they did feel it was bothering.

If the sound is at bothering levels, as Sathya suggested, please get it checked. My car especially after the 1st service has very low engine noise.

@nssrini:
I had a old Zen and I feel its really at the Zen of design. Some of the things you'll find in that car (like the smoothness of gear shift, that you've mentioned) cannot be found in most others of higher class. Its a beauty.
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 14:46   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to TBHP and SX4 club!

Cool, I tried to contact other dealers to see if they also replace, but in vain. I will see if anyone replies in the thread about this.

Evening I got my car delivered with clutch replaced (he mentioned there are 3 parts in clutch, one of them got replaced), also the oil had to be changed he said. I too felt it is smooth now than earlier, let me see for next few days - if it continues to be so, then it adds to driving pleasure of wonderful SX4!!

BTW, since power windows switch gone bad, he claimed to have replaced whole unit - in night I can't see if it looks new, let me confirm tomorrow.

Overall it costed nothing - since all were covered under warrenty. Additionally he water washed the car and cleaned interiors for free. Do they do it normally (if not, I can feel happy about it )?

After reading ur messages I called up my dealer RNS motors Yeshwanthpur abt the clutch replacement. Even my car had to be replaced with the new clutch. I've left it for the replacement this afternoon.

When I enquired abt the this issue, the service manager said that Maruti had found a defect in the manufacturing of the clutch and they have now rectified it. However, this replacement for the already delivered vehicles is more of a preventive measure. Maruti has sent a circular all over the country to replace with the new part.

Lets c how it feels after the replacement.
sudhir5478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:04   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir5478 View Post
After reading ur messages I called up my dealer RNS motors Yeshwanthpur abt the clutch replacement. Even my car had to be replaced with the new clutch. I've left it for the replacement this afternoon.

When I enquired abt the this issue, the service manager said that Maruti had found a defect in the manufacturing of the clutch and they have now rectified it. However, this replacement for the already delivered vehicles is more of a preventive measure. Maruti has sent a circular all over the country to replace with the new part.

Lets c how it feels after the replacement.
Great to hear that other dealers are also doing it, not just one. Replacement with delivered vehicles is their corrective action not proactive approach !!

Has they been proactive, this issue wouldn't have arisen !!
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 21:55   #494
BHPian

hi VBV

I agree - maybe the noise could be due to expectations - but is something that is bothering me. Like Sathya mentioned about the Palio - typically well tuned high end cars have almost silence in the cabin. The SX4 engine overall is pretty smooth - but atleast I could hear the grunt - something like a water pump running faintly at a distance. I will check out during 1st service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
I feel engine noise has to do with expectations. My friend has a civic and another has a skoda petrol, both of them felt the sound and I did not. However even they did feel it was bothering.

If the sound is at bothering levels, as Sathya suggested, please get it checked. My car especially after the 1st service has very low engine noise.

@nssrini:
I had a old Zen and I feel its really at the Zen of design. Some of the things you'll find in that car (like the smoothness of gear shift, that you've mentioned) cannot be found in most others of higher class. Its a beauty.
Old 1st August 2007, 23:23   #495
BHPian

Ok,

I was going to post an issue regarding a clutch issue last week, but since I was traveling I dint.

I have seen this issue in two SX4s that I drove. Anyone else please confirm?

First start the car with gear in neutral. Then turn the AC on; turn the steering to either left or right (about half turn); then put the car in gear and press the accelerator.
I have felt a judder at pickup when I follow this procedure. I have observed this in two SX4's that I have driven.
I have seen a few posts regarding clutch component being replaced by MSL. I hope this solves the problem. Can SX4 owners confirm (Pre/Post replacement behavior).

And btw, I have a Black SX4 ZXi. I am gonna put up my gallery soon.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote