Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th October 2007, 18:36   #871
Senior - BHPian

it's in paste form..comes with a sponge.. didn't get spray wax as it is not easily available.. haven't used before either

Last edited by iTNerd : 8th October 2007 at 18:49.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 14:29   #872

Default SX4 sedan TD in the US

I am about to relocate to Bangalore and am considering buying the SX4 or the Aveo. I was really surprised to see the SX4 sedan at a car dealership near my work-place. So, I went in for a TD to see what the US version (called a SX4 sport) feels like.

Firstly, I noticed that the US version has a 2.0L 143 HP engine and 17"
alloys. The car I drove had an auto transmission. It had 6 airbags and a 6 CD changer with 9 speakers and a subwoofer (standard). Also, it had certain features like traction control, cruise control etc which were missing in the Indian version. The display which show temperature/time also had a section for miles-before-empty. I'm sure you can find a list of the features somewhere online.

What was similar was the layout of the interiors. I've read all over the internet how the interiors of this car uses cheap plastics. I did not feel that way at all, having driven the US version. The car felt extremely upscale and luxurious from inside. The backseat, however, is completely different from the Indian version. In the US version, the backseat folds up all the way to the front seat in a very unique manner to reveal an extra-ordinary amount of space for the boot. I'd love to see that feature in India. There's no center armrest though. The car felt big and roomy with plenty of leg & head room. One feature I'd really like to see in this car is a center arm-rest.

Coming to how the car drives - well, I wasn't very impressed by the low-end torque at all. It is slow to get off the mark and did not feel like a 143 HP car at all. Disclaimer - I'm currently driving a 200HP V6 and my perception might've been biased due to that. I noticed a slight amount of body roll on turns. However, overall handling was good and the braking was excellent. I found that this car drives like a mini-van more than anything else - especially with the quarter glass at the front, the tall-boy design and the long dash-board.

Lastly, the sticker price for the car was around $17k - which translates pretty close to the ZXi price in India. I'd like to conclude by saying that if the Indian version is as good as the one I test drove today, I'm surely buying it.
ishwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 17:23   #873
BHPian

Don't compare US version and Indian version. If you want to buy a car in India, compare with the same segment of vehilces available in india and decide.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 01:21   #874
BHPian

Ishwar I guess you got most of your points spot on (relatively speaking). I can perhaps assure you that the Indian ride will be much stiffer given the tougher suspensions they'd have put in for desi roads. Also you would perhaps find that she is more than sufficient for our desi traffic especially bangalores stop and go traffic.
Lastly given that you have pitted the Sx4 against the aveo for the domestic options be warned that Aveo is not going to be anywhere near when it comes to ride (she wallows and pitches owing to a super soft suspension), lacks grunt (relatively speaking) owing to a 1.4 liter engine and the interiors are better than the sx4's and you would not get the Legendary Maruti service. If you are the ones to be driven in maybe you'd like the aveo and if you are the types that like to drive (200bhp, v6? i guess you are the self drive types) you'd perhaps like the sx4.
Welcome back home and happy shoppiing.
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 02:27   #875
DNP

Default Problem with SX4 in 3rd gear

I have been experiencing the following problem with my SX4 ZXI since the day I got it(3 weeks back). While driving in 3rd gear if I keep my hand on the gearstick and press the accelerator the gearstick vibrates. When I do not press the accelerator it does not vibrate. Note that I have a habit of keeping my left hand on the gear shaft. I have not experienced this problem in any other gear.

Just wondering is anyone else has faced a similar problem. I am planning to get it rectified during my 1st Service.
DNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 20:58   #876
BHPian

@Ishwar: I suggest, once you come here, drive SX4 and other cars in the category in Bangalore roads and then decide. Believe me, the TD experience will influence your buying decision largely - when you TD in Bangalore traffic. All the best!!

@DNP: I mostly keep my hand in gearstick and never experienced this issue. I remember that someone else too faced similar issue. Get it corrected. However, I observe vibration in clutch in higher speeds. I heard no one faced it.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 14th October 2007 at 21:00.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 21:29   #877
BHPian

@DNP here is something for fact. You can feel vibrations in All cars. I have felt it in 800, alto, wagonR, Santro, Fiesta, Accent(older one), SX4, VW Jetta, Mustang in all cars coz like you i also had the habit of driving with one hand on the stick.
This happens especially when you shift a bit early. Try shifting late you may not experience this
Old 15th October 2007, 10:47   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
@DNP: I mostly keep my hand in gearstick and never experienced this issue. I remember that someone else too faced similar issue. Get it corrected. However, I observe vibration in clutch in higher speeds. I heard no one faced it.
Yes, I faced that issue before first service. It got solved during first service. Now I suspect if that gear shift stick has really anything connected beneath or not? It just falls in the slot thats all (except 1, 2 and reverse gear).

@satya - after clutch replacement I am feeling little judder in 1st gear during stop to movement action. Once car moves nothing. Is that OK, because this was not case prior to clutch replacement. I am waiting for 2nd service. So far done 3500km, and will do another 1200km somewhere around Deewali.

Last edited by omishra : 15th October 2007 at 10:57.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:10   #879
BHPian

@DNP - I had this observation from day 1 & I am told this is perfectly normal. I also see it only in 3rd gear - if you keep the hand on the lever hard. holding it lightly or taking it off the lever - then you do not sense any issue at all. looks to be by design, just an irritant, not a problem through.
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 19:19   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
@satya - after clutch replacement I am feeling little judder in 1st gear during stop to movement action. Once car moves nothing. Is that OK, because this was not case prior to clutch replacement. I am waiting for 2nd service. So far done 3500km, and will do another 1200km somewhere around Deewali.
I feel that such issues may arise if finishing ( ) wasn't properly done during clutch replacement.

I have done 4600 Kms and should complete 5K soon, will get it checked during 2nd service.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:29   #881
Senior - BHPian

This is something weird that happened to me yesterday. It probably also exposed the dealer.

October 15, 2 pm: I call the salesguy and ask him about the delivery of my car. I am told the car has arrived and delivery will be done by Tuesday, Oct 22.

October 15, 6.30 pm: I get a call on my mobile from Maruti Suzuki. The lady says this is a feedback call and asks me how the car I bought on October 13 is faring. I say, " Errr. What car?" So she says she will call me on next Friday, October 25 for the feedback.

Does this mean that Maruti is under the impression that the car was delivered on October 13 while actually it hasn't? But how does Maruti know a car has been delivered unless the dealer informs them of the same?

About the interest @ 24% thing, the salesguy says he will check up and update me if I am included in that scheme (delaying tactics) and the girl said she has no idea about this and I should call Maruti Toll free for this.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 11:47   #882
BANNED

Hi folks,
Got a call from popular automobiles chennai.
My VXI belongs to a batch with defective clutch.M.S is replacing it free of charge.
My current gear change is worse than my bolero.F.E in city is 10.3 with non-aggressive driving.
Hope this change will improve both.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 12:17   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
This is something weird that happened to me yesterday. It probably also exposed the dealer.

October 15, 2 pm: I call the salesguy and ask him about the delivery of my car. I am told the car has arrived and delivery will be done by Tuesday, Oct 22.

October 15, 6.30 pm: I get a call on my mobile from Maruti Suzuki. The lady says this is a feedback call and asks me how the car I bought on October 13 is faring. I say, " Errr. What car?" So she says she will call me on next Friday, October 25 for the feedback.

Does this mean that Maruti is under the impression that the car was delivered on October 13 while actually it hasn't? But how does Maruti know a car has been delivered unless the dealer informs them of the same?

About the interest @ 24% thing, the salesguy says he will check up and update me if I am included in that scheme (delaying tactics) and the girl said she has no idea about this and I should call Maruti Toll free for this.
I am sure dealer has messed up something badly. Why not lodge a complaint with MSIL? Normally MSIL calls to request feedback after car is delivered.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:06   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

You could have tried to get more info from SIL caller and found out what she has on record (not sure if they would have told you).
Can you confront the sales guy with this and ask him whats up. Did he book the car and give it awaay to some one else.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:08   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi folks,
My current gear change is worse than my bolero.F.E in city is 10.3 with non-aggressive driving.
Hope this change will improve both.
Gear change is bad? Thats very unusual. SX4 is one of hte few Maruti vehicles with a good gear shift. Maybe there is a problem. Have it checked out. The only Known issue is with the non-syncro reverse

F.E. is more than 10? Thats good. I get only 9.5 or lesser always with AC and purely city driving