Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th October 2007, 14:45   #931
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
In adition, the manual also advises against running in higher gears at low speeds, though I've noticed that the car pulls even from around 600 rpm in 5th...
AFAIK, Driving at higher gears in lower speeds/rpms is what is lugging a car.

VBV
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 15:36   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
AFAIK, Driving at higher gears in lower speeds/rpms is what is lugging a car.

VBV
I didnt quite understand what this means..
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 15:43   #933
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I didnt quite understand what this means..
it means if you drive in 5th gear at 40 or so when the rpm is around 1000 or so you are putting excess strain on the engine. that is lugging.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:07   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
So it looks having a speed limit is not just the only way of getting a good run-in.VBV
Agreed. Its about the RPMs. I was coz 100 would take the car about 2500 rpm which is the unofficial upper limit . At the end of the day i guess doing it one off time wont hurt. Its only when we do this repeatedly the engine gets thrashed.
Mating is a, has to be a gentle process anywhichwhere until things settle down ...
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:07   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
  1. Reverse gear sometimes refuses to engage. Gear shift is still notchy specially 1st gear.
Though my car has done only about 250 km till now, I am facing this problem too!
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:36   #936
BHPian

Regarding reverse gear not engaging sometimes, I am not noticing it nowadays. I guess if you keep clutch **fully** pressed you shouldn't notice. I use reverse gear extensively while taking my car out and getting in every day, I hardly notice it nowadays.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:09   #937
BHPian

Reverse gear 'problem' is a design / known issue and its coz its not a synchromesh gear. When facing a problem engaging the reverse just engage 2nd / 3rd and then try engaging the reverse it always works. Its an easier alternative to pumping the clutch
Old 25th October 2007, 19:09   #938
BHPian

Hey I don't know if anyone has noticed this but according to suzuki uk website the ground clearance of the SX4 hatch is 205 mm-Identical to the SX4 sedan sold in india,but the clearance of the SX4 sport sedan in the U.S. has a clearance of 160 mm.
I don't know why Maruti hasn't changed the suspension settings to lower the car a little in India,considering the Hatch has some offroading pretensions because of the 4 wheel drive and the clearance is justified in that application.
IMO,lowering the car by 30 mm or even 20 mm would greatly improve it's stance and handling without affecting it's ability to sail over bad roads too much.
deuce-deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:20   #939

Congrats sathya, thats pretty cool
ravi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:55   #940
BANNED

guys maruti has given all the bells and whistels in this car but maruti will remain maruti, i.e. lack of refinement, poor quality interiors and fit and finish, stiff suspension. SX4 is a good car for its price in terms of features but sill doesnt have that upmarket/ premium feel. the build quality lacks, the gear shift is still notchy.
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:59   #941
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Reverse gear 'problem' is a design / known issue and its coz its not a synchromesh gear. When facing a problem engaging the reverse just engage 2nd / 3rd and then try engaging the reverse it always works. Its an easier alternative to pumping the clutch
i own a swift zxi and civic, swift has the same gear problems but even honda civic has a non-synchromesh reverse gear and not even once i have faced problem engaging any gear. there is a flaw with swift/sx4 gears. i also drive my uncle's alto, no problem in engaging the reverse gear, then why so many problems in SX4/swift gears.
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 22:28   #942
BHPian

I agree that Alto , 800 do not have this problem. But as a fundamental concept Non synchro gears do not engage sometimes. and yes it occurs more frequently than it should in the Swift/SX4.. maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer why..
Let me start a new thread with your views and ask the junta .
Old 26th October 2007, 11:58   #943
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
i own a swift zxi and civic, swift has the same gear problems but even honda civic has a non-synchromesh reverse gear and not even once i have faced problem engaging any gear. there is a flaw with swift/sx4 gears. i also drive my uncle's alto, no problem in engaging the reverse gear, then why so many problems in SX4/swift gears.
Before SX4 i had Honda city and i enjoyed the gearshifts. But in SX4 initially i had some problems, but after maruthi's clutch replacement and running 2000 kms the things are completely changed. Now i am having no issues in shifting gears and feel butter smoothness now.
No reverse gear Problem at all now.
saabasheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 12:44   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabasheer View Post
Before SX4 i had Honda city and i enjoyed the gearshifts. But in SX4 initially i had some problems, but after maruthi's clutch replacement and running 2000 kms the things are completely changed. Now i am having no issues in shifting gears and feel butter smoothness now.
No reverse gear Problem at all now.
Even me.. though my car was not one of the initial lots with the clutch problem..but initially, the gear (especially reverse) was not smooth and found in situtation where the gear didn't engaged properly..That's a different story now with 2600 kms done .. its smooth..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 17:43   #945
BHPian

Default Gear shift! Its very smooth now

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
No that is not the case but it is very tight for first 300 kms. Really hard that I felt pain in left hand but improved with time and now very very smooth. Just push it holding by fingures.
I already mentioned that its very smooth.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote