Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th October 2007, 23:46   #946
BHPian

Hey Guys - Just got word that our SX4 should be in transit on Monday! The car was ordered 3 weeks ago - Zxi with Leather in Clear Metallic Beige - I have requested the dealer to give us delivery on November 7th. I had asked for a few additions on the car prior to taking delivery and the delaer has said that some of the fitments would come directly from the factory. I was surprised to hear this - anyone else experience this? So basically these are some add ons we are getting and some points I have noted after reading this exhaustive thread full of great suggestions.

1) MGA SX-4 Floor Mats and Boot mats - Beige.
2) ORVMS with built in blinkers - Dealer said that this will come installed from the factory.
3) MGA Park sensors - I know, I know - After market ones are better value but I am in Delhi and I do not want family running around in Jamshedpur trying to locate park sensors!
4) Have Tyres at 35psi
5) Make sure clutch and AC problems are not present during PDI (Hopefully this latest batch of cars come with these fixed)
6) Check with dealer and manual but regular petrol is what is recommended, right?

Things I am unsure about:
1) Get Tints - MGA offers something called Silver Frost - I fear this shade of tint might make the car look like a glass of beer with the beige color we have selected. I was thinking maybe smoke grey or clear or a very light blue. Any thoughts on this?
2) Spoiler - All show and no dough? Body kit has been ruled out because it will bring down GC and defeats the purpose of this car.
3) Front arm rest - I love having this feature on cars - Has anyone seen a good quality oem retro fit one in Delhi that I could pick up?
4) Rear Parcel shelf cover - as far as I remember - the rear parcel shelf in the test car was totally naked and quite an eye sore - does this hold true with the cars that are being delivered?
5) Something to cover up that hedious expanse of black plastic in the center console!! That was a major turn off for me - Anyone seen top quality oem trim? Brushed Aluminum? A dark wood - walnut or birdseye?

Alright - thats all I can think of for now unless you have additional recommendations.

P.S. I wish Maruti offered factory delivery like MB and BMW do european delivery!!! I am in Delhi now and going to Jamshedpur on the 7th. Would have loved to tour the factory, pick up the car and drive down! (But I guess driving through Gaya, Bihar is not the same as the Austrian Alps!)

Last edited by vcash : 26th October 2007 at 23:48.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 04:04   #947

2) ORVMS with built in blinkers
3) MGA Park sensors
4) Have Tyres at 35psi
5) Make sure clutch and AC problems are not present during PDI (Hopefully this latest batch of cars come with these fixed)

Are the new Sx4's coming with all these goodies?

I waited to buy a car for quiet some time. After waiting for 2 yrs, finally tomorrow, I am planning to book the SX4. Thats the reason why went thru all the reviews via Google and got this link of Team-BHP.
Got a lot of mixed reviews from different websites. Some say it is the best deal and some say it has issues with gear shift and the interior when compared to Honday city is not that impressive. Some say its got problems with the AC. I took the test drive of the car. Scince it was a Demo Car it was used very roughly and wasn't properly serviced,thats what the sales guy said when i told him that the AC was making some kinda noise and on the first gear there was a slight vibration.
I will be booking the car tomorrow. The Car looks gr8 to me, but what mostly pinches is the fuel efficiency.Again hear a lot of mixed reviews on that too like 8,9,10,11.
I would like to ask everyone if someone has a propper final verdict on this car.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 11:59   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
2) ORVMS with built in blinkers
3) MGA Park sensors
4) Have Tyres at 35psi

Are the new Sx4's coming with all these goodies?

I waited to buy a car for quiet some time. After waiting for 2 yrs, finally tomorrow, I am planning to book the SX4. Thats the reason why went thru all the reviews via Google and got this link of Team-BHP.
Got a lot of mixed reviews from different websites. Some say it is the best deal and some say it has issues with gear shift and the interior when compared to Honday city is not that impressive. Some say its got problems with the AC. I took the test drive of the car. Scince it was a Demo Car it was used very roughly and wasn't properly serviced,thats what the sales guy said when i told him that the AC was making some kinda noise and on the first gear there was a slight vibration.
I will be booking the car tomorrow. The Car looks gr8 to me, but what mostly pinches is the fuel efficiency.Again hear a lot of mixed reviews on that too like 8,9,10,11.
I would like to ask everyone if someone has a propper final verdict on this car.
well, for me at least, it had been a good, wise buy... If you are ready to live with a slightly lower interior quaility and 2-3 kms less average mileage (when compared to NHC), then I can think of no other car in this segment that gives your value for money than SX4 (zxi trim) with all those new gizmos and looks and practicality.. Resale wise, NHC and SX4 will equally hold their grounds, but with new City to be debut next year, resale of current NHC will be hit for sure... what NHC scores compared to SX4 is the NVH refinement (havin been updated 3-4 times in its life-cycle)..

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th October 2007 at 12:00.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 12:03   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hey Guys - Just got word that our SX4 should be in transit on Monday! The car was ordered 3 weeks ago - Zxi with Leather in Clear Metallic Beige - I have requested the dealer to give us delivery on November 7th. I had asked for a few additions on the car prior to taking delivery and the delaer has said that some of the fitments would come directly from the factory. I was surprised to hear this - anyone else experience this? So basically these are some add ons we are getting and some points I have noted after reading this exhaustive thread full of great suggestions.

2) ORVMS with built in blinkers - Dealer said that this will come installed from the factory.
3) MGA Park sensors - I know, I know - After market ones are better value but I am in Delhi and I do not want family running around in Jamshedpur trying to locate park sensors!
4) Have Tyres at 35psi
6) Check with dealer and manual but regular petrol is what is recommended, right?

1) Get Tints - MGA offers something called Silver Frost - I fear this shade of tint might make the car look like a glass of beer with the beige color we have selected. I was thinking maybe smoke grey or clear or a very light blue. Any thoughts on this?
2) Spoiler - All show and no dough? Body kit has been ruled out because it will bring down GC and defeats the purpose of this car.
3) Front arm rest - I love having this feature on cars - Has anyone seen a good quality oem retro fit one in Delhi that I could pick up?
4) Rear Parcel shelf cover - as far as I remember - the rear parcel shelf in the test car was totally naked and quite an eye sore - does this hold true with the cars that are being delivered?
5) Something to cover up that hedious expanse of black plastic in the center console!! That was a major turn off for me - Anyone seen top quality oem trim? Brushed Aluminum? A dark wood - walnut or birdseye?

Alright - thats all I can think of for now unless you have additional recommendations.

P.S. I wish Maruti offered factory delivery like MB and BMW do european delivery!!! I am in Delhi now and going to Jamshedpur on the 7th. Would have loved to tour the factory, pick up the car and drive down! (But I guess driving through Gaya, Bihar is not the same as the Austrian Alps!)
congrats for the car! I doubt the extra accessories will be fitted from the factory itself.. Perhaps, the dealer meant, from their depot.. But if indeed they are, then expect the work done and cost to be on a premium side..

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th October 2007 at 12:05.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 16:00   #950
BHPian

[quote=vcash;608190]

- forget MGA - would recommend going in for V-Kool or LLumar & including the front windshield. Steel 35 on the sides & Air 75 for front from Llumar would be good & economical
- feel given the raised rear setting of the car, spoilers may not look good
- buddy, driver's arms are supposed to be on the steering...armrests ? are you worried about the front passenger ?
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 16:04   #951
BHPian

well you should have the final verdict - cars are highly personalized preference stuff - but SX4 should serve you well. FE will vary based on your driving - but you should get over 10 at the minimum. That should do good for a car of this size..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
1)
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 03:45   #952
BHPian

Quote:
- Now way this is going to com e from the factory. Its an aftermarket thingummy. Check out gopinath's car. He has modded his car to add these.
Quote:
Better buy the kit and ship it to JSR then.

Quote:
ACs per se do not have problems it is just that proper usage of climate control is yet to catch on.

Quote:
you can use speed or premium. Just that it may not add much value. Speed just has lubricants on regular petrol to combat the effects of premature combustion(knocking). Premium thought high octane and more expensive, will not cause issues as it is only going to behave like regular in a non-high compression engine.

Quote:
- well personally i hate Sun films coz they really mess up night visibility. All my cars have so far been without them.
Quote:
well most guys put it only for the looks. unless you plan to zoom around at 175- 190 speeds all the time for it to matter.
Quote:
I'll wait or your answer to Srini's question
Quote:
yep its naked plastic eyesore. Cant do much about it unless you can find an aftermarket replacement here. I have'nt read about anyone doing it albeit.
Quote:
both models have the same center console barring the nice looking Climate control dials in the zxi variant. It has brushed alumininium runners on either sides of the center console

Bottom line: Lovely car. I dont miss the mileage (my santro and alto both give only 10 and my SX4 gives 9 in chennai wtih AC all the time). The ride is good pal.
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 04:31   #953
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think Maruti will start giving features like these.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 17:36   #954
BHPian

Finally I managed to get a chance to drive the SX4 on my last visit to India and though over all the car is all right but for me the biggest draw back was the quality of switches. Also I was almost shocked to see that the switches ( Power windows, Side view mirror, and the ones on stering) are not illuminated. What good are those switches on stearing if you can not operate them during night... Is it that SX4 is not supposed to be driven in the night?? ( well looking at the quality of the head lights, that surely seems to be the case)
no_limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 22:44   #955
BHPian

Well @no_limit. Did you notice how Only the Driver's 'Auto' power window switch alone is backlit. I wonder why the left out the other switches.It sucks man. Even Bajaj gives backlit switches.
The only logical answer is to see where the switches come from. The Swift. The swift is down market (relatively speaking) and they cut costs there to beat competition. They passed it on up market and are reusing parts and lo we end up with cheap stuff in an upmarket car.
Sometimes I wonder why maruti appears el-cheapo at the same time offering VAF like EBD and ABS as standard.
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 10:24   #956
BHPian

Has anyone done 2nd service and can throw some tips on how much it costs, etc? I should give mine in another few days when I complete remaining 150 kms to 5k.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 10:51   #957
BHPian

hi - took delivery of SX4 zxi (silky silver) during last week. The waiting period was about 3 weeks. The car was available in about 2 weeks, but i delayed delivery by few more days for auspicious day.

Overall, i am satisfied with dealer (Kalyani motors) as i did not have to do much follow-up. Dealer kept me updated regularly and also provided door-step service to collect documents, etc...

The delivery checklist on this forum was very useful.

Accessories:
- Dealer only gave std accessories + mats free. However, i got Llumar Neutral 20 for windows and Air75 for windscreen from the dealer for about 10k total. Dealer said it came to 11k, but gave me 1k off. Neutral20 goes well with silver.

- I have decided to go for Art leather seat covers from gSport, after visiting their showroom.

- not yet decided on reverse parking sensor

Driving - is a pleasure, moving up from Santro. Initial impression is that gear shift is slightly hard. Also, another problem is that i am not able to engage reverse gear immediately after starting the car (when the temp gauge is still below C). However, i am able to engage reverse gear either after engaging fwd gear or after couple of mins.

I am not sure if these are genuine problems, but will bring this up at first service. Do let me know your suggestions.
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:38   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post

buddy, driver's arms are supposed to be on the steering...armrests ? are you worried about the front passenger ?
Actually the front arm rests serve as a place to rest your elbows and provide suppot while gripping the wheel with both hands and also shifting gears - It is a standard feature on almost all premium cars. It reduces driver fatigue and is convient for the passenger as well.

Check out this Lexus 470 with the armrests popped up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Better buy the kit and ship it to JSR then.

yep its naked plastic eyesore. Cant do much about it unless you can find an aftermarket replacement here. I have'nt read about anyone doing it albeit.
This is going to be a hassle - running around getting installation. How bad can the MGA one's be? As long as it makes an audible beep - thats all I care about.

I see that MGA offers a parcel shelf cover - I'll get this as well.

Last edited by vcash : 29th October 2007 at 11:44.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:01   #959
BHPian

Hi Venkatesh,
Giving safety features like ABS, Airbags is a welcome step but by not giving backlit switches they are making sure that there is every possibility that these safety features are tested on road.
Well I wonder when some manufacturer will come up with an ingenious idea of removing brakes from the car on the pretext of cost cutting.

Note from mod: Please do not use font and size tags
no_limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:48   #960
BHPian

I heard from a friend that the rear suspension is also due to replacement in the new batches, because of bumpy ride reports coming in from the field (Read the initial buyers), wanted to know if any of you have heard of it and are aware of any details ? Will they include the initial batches too when the rear suspension is tuned/modified for a better ride ? I doubt.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote