Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th May 2007, 14:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

I agree with u SB and Himanshu... Not because I own one of the tin-box (according to finneyp)...

In India (or everywhere) everything boils down to the driver and how he drives.... We have seen the super built Skoda breaking in 2 pieces in a highway...

Personally I dont atall agree the term called build quality, if u r a bad driver no car can save u....

I agree Fiat do make good cars but its *** is no way close to Maruti.... Hence, buying a Fiat in India is like calling for trouble.... If u dont face any problem then fine and if u face one, GOD save u...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 16:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Personally I dont atall agree the term called build quality, if u r a bad driver no car can save u....
Agreed, Best example was Princess Diana's death in a car crash in one of the safest car in the world.
And I personally feel that 800, Alto or Zen are not tin boxes, they are light but fulfil there primary purpose. I have driven my M800 for 4 yrs(50K km) mostly on highways between Noida and Agra(Parents Stays there). and have never felt unsafe. Also drove from Noida to Shimla Once and never felt it is underpowered to pull on hills.
I was as satisfied with my 800 as I am with my petra now and Fiat have to go a long way to go to achieve what Mauti 800 have already achieved and there nothing left for this great car to prove anything.

Last edited by greatDrive : 25th May 2007 at 16:39.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 16:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
My baleno is regularly giving me 12 - 13 with AC in bangalore.
My wife's baleno gives around 18kms with AC in Bangalore city..............................

for 2 litres unfortunately.

Thats actually a pretty good figure for Baleno. My alto gives me around 13(with AC all the time). Maximum I have been able to achieve is 13.7.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 17:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Agreed, Best example was Princess Diana's death in a car crash in one of the safest car in the world.
And I personally feel that 800, Alto or Zen are not tin boxes, they are light but fulfil there primary purpose. I have driven my M800 for 4 yrs(50K km) mostly on highways between Noida and Agra(Parents Stays there). and have never felt unsafe. Also drove from Noida to Shimla Once and never felt it is underpowered to pull on hills.
I was as satisfied with my 800 as I am with my petra now and Fiat have to go a long way to go to achieve what Mauti 800 have already achieved and there nothing left for this great car to prove anything.
Ya GD, I was about to give that classic example of Princess Diana ...
Like your M800, my Alto is also a pleasure in the long drives.... You definitely cannot call it a tinbox if it (M800) is still in production since the last 24 years....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 18:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Actually Finney, i will have to disagree here. My baleno is regularly giving me 12 - 13 with AC in bangalore and the build of the Baleno is anything but tinny.

My palio, in similar conditions gives 11-12. having said that, my friends wagon R also gives him 12-12.5 max. Hence I dont agree with the impression that Palio (1.2) is not fuel efficient. However, it is burdened with negative perception from the Mark I Palio days.

On the highway, the Palio gave me 15 while the Baleno has given me 18 on more than one occasion. Still, I have no complaints from the Palio with regard to the driving experience or the FE. My only complaint is with regards to Fiat (TATA) A.S.S. and the (non) availability of spares- bu tthat is a different story.
Baleno is not tinny but it still is lighter than a Palio 1.2. Not to say its a disadvantage but just to put things into perspective.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th May 2007 at 18:54.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 19:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
(once I found myself driving in 3rd gear at 10KMPH but the car didn't complain at all).
i'm sure you love your car alot ... but is that even possible ?? ... 10kmph 3rd gear ... what , 500 rpm ??? no stalling ... no complaints

assuming it was a bit more than 10kmph , seems you have a very positive defenition of 'complain' .

Last edited by Fiero : 25th May 2007 at 19:06.
Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 19:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My wife's baleno gives around 18kms with AC in Bangalore city..............................

for 2 litres unfortunately.

excuse me !!!!
Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 21:11   #53
BHPian

Default Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
fiats dnt give good mileage???

whats under the Swift DDIs?? and what does it give?
Same Engine..but when it is in a FIAT car it is not a fuel efficient one.

How many know this SX4 is a FIAT SEDICI?

Common Maruti..give us a pure breed not a borrowed one. But even strange is that there are intelligent people around to conveniently forget whos the father
Whenasked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 13:48   #54

Hey,
I just finished reading Autocar-June07. On page 15, it says, FIAT planning 16 valve engine instead of 8 valves (Reason being to improve performance and FE). Is that true?

Did I made quick buy
Kanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 14:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

kanni

dont worry too much. just enjoy your car !! there are thousands of palios with 8 valves and i dont see that a big reason to keep thinking about it. moreover the new car might take time to come and it might give lesser FE or more depending on other changes they make!! so chill.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My wife's baleno gives around 18kms with AC in Bangalore city...............................
OT: My Baleno gave 20 kmpl recently, though I think there is some error in my calculation.. it was roughly 800km / 40 litres, 500 odd km of it on highway..
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
OT: My Baleno gave 20 kmpl recently, though I think there is some error in my calculation.. it was roughly 800km / 40 litres, 500 odd km of it on highway..
Was it for 2 liters?

Bcoz Shivasuma's figures was for 2 lits.!
But, why are we discussing Baleno's FE on a Palio Stile thread?
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Was it for 2 liters?

Bcoz Shivasuma's figures was for 2 lits.!
But, why are we discussing Baleno's FE on a Palio Stile thread?
saar.. my post says OT !!
Old 29th May 2007, 10:06   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
No offense, but these kind of mileages can be extracted only if your participating in those FE runs sponsored by the companies. Was this in one of those FE runs? where they do everything including pushing the car except driving it normally
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 10:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
No offense, but these kind of mileages can be extracted only if your participating in those FE runs sponsored by the companies. Was this in one of those FE runs? where they do everything including pushing the car except driving it normally
No offense taken. Even I am not 100% sure about the calculations. I must have gone wrong somewhere. Will have to take another reading at the next top up.