Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th October 2007, 08:27   #301

I bought it from Concorde Motors, Bangalore. There is a corporate discount (my company purchase), which may not be applicable to you (OTR around 4.85L).

You can also try at Manipal Motors - (what i heard) freebies include 4K discount + sunfilm garware + autocop basic version + usual dealer (junk) ones (mats, perfume, gods idol et al) + extended warranty (4.8K) waiver.

I too had similar dilemma as you, and evaluated spark, palio 1.1 slx, getx prime 1.3, UVA. I bought 1.6 for its VFM (100 bhp engine, alloy wheels, rear seating comfort) and excellent ownership opinion shared by different palio owners (having palios for 4-5 years) in my area. I am happy with Stile 1.6 and is my first car. I decided to go for 1.6 after reading team-bhp forum posts (many thanks to this forum). Car is superb. Cant narrate it in words but you will start loving your car once u buy. Steering control is splendid.

Simple advice is - everybody will suggest different cars; each car has its own pros and cons; u cant get a car which is ideal; so close your eyes and make the decision trusting your own conscience. And importantly make it fast else you will stay confused forever.

The car has excellent pickup in all gears (one of my friends from USA who has driven automatic cars in US for 10 years and is learning manual here, has simply commented that he can keep palio 1.6 in 3rd gear and work as automatic 0-80kmph :-) (instead of putting it in 1st gear, he accidently put it in 3rd and started from it and the car obeyed its master). This is just to highlight its ability to pickup.

I havent measured FE as i filled it full tank (autocut) once and yet to go for the next fill. However my feel is that it shd be 9.5+ in city traffic.
kraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 08:38   #302

You can choose between Concorde and Manipal. I didnt hear any good opinion about prerana but do your study if needed.

Concorde is a TATA motors subsidiary and hence everything goes by rule book (quality process). (bcos of this, they dont fit my car with autocop :-(

Irrespective of whichever dealer you choose to buy (u negotiate with both and go to a dealer who is cheaper), you can always get your car serviced with the other dealer who is better. Service is FIAT's (or Tata Motors) offer and has to be respected by any FIAT dealership in India.

Heard that Concorde's FIAT technicians are excellent compared to anywhereelse in bangalore (for normal service, any dealer is ok but only for abnormal situations). Concorde FIAT service center is (only) in Hosur Road (near Kudlu Gate - Novell) and Manipals is in Airport Road.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:06   #303

Default Gosh you've penned our thoughts to the hilt!

Hey maan,

What luck to find all you car lovers here!!! Uttam, your review was great! And seeing that you've bought a Black 1.6, we congratulate you on a great buy!

We are a Fiat family in making, for our parents own a Fiat 1.2, my bro-in-law owns a 1.1 and we are planning to round up the things by buying a 1.6. A few hours ago, my husband and I were discussing the nuances of Stile 1.6 with the BU Bhandari Sales Manager (Pune). In fact we too are keen on buying the Black Beauty (as I have rechristened her). The red one just does not match its black cousin. :( That's unfair, for the red color is awesome. A little like Ferrarish color!

Our question for all you guys (and gals too) is: Is there any thing apart from the mileage that we should be concerned about? Anything specific we should check out??

For I believe there's no car in its segment that can beat its safety, convenience and price. So what's stopping us from out right buying is the mileage thing.

So, send us your expert opinions asap. We are planning to empty our pockets by this weekend.

P.S: One more question:
1. How come Fiat can afford to give so many safety features at such a price range in all its versions?

Care to answer guys?
StileBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 09:04   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraj View Post
Palio Stile 1.6 Sports is now available in Magnesium Grey too. I bought mag grey last month (sep end).
Yep. The dealer here was telling me that its available only in Red and Black. I had to book "Furnace Red" last weekend and then e-mailed Fiat India. Monday evening the sales person called me up telling that 1.6 Sport is available in "Magnesium Grey" too but it will take 10-12 days.

If it was the effect of sending email to Fiat, then the results were lightening fast. I sent the mail at 11am and dealer called up at 5pm same day
codemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 11:04   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by StileBen View Post
Our question for all you guys (and gals too) is: Is there any thing apart from the mileage that we should be concerned about? Anything specific we should check out??

For I believe there's no car in its segment that can beat its safety, convenience and price. So what's stopping us from out right buying is the mileage thing.
mileage is also comparable to Getz and UVA in its segment (1 kmpl difference cd be there). However you get all other features (except ABS and Airbag - not even option exists in palio). It was becuase of the service enigma that i feel, FIAT has priced palio so low. With TATAs in, feel it will improve.

Also email to FIAT (service@fiat.com & mangesh.kodalkar@fiat.com) always gets a fast response (whether u like the answer or not is a different thing) and helps speed up things at the dealership and A.S.S.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:41   #306
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I got a chance to TD Palio Stile in the last two days.

I first tried the Palio Stile 1.1L from Manipal Motors (KR Road). The guy was not very prompt in coming to my place (JP Nagar). Repeated calls and finally he came with a brand new 1.1L (Furnace Red). He wanted me to drive it in the near-by areas itself. I took it to his showroom - to checkout the showroom, get the car brochure and discount details. He gave us a photo-copy of the original brochure saying they were out of the originals. While discussing the details, he mentioned that the car comes with Teflon coating and Anti-rust coating. When queried further, he said we can check these out on Fiat website. I next mentioned to him about the leather steering grip and gear knob for 1.6 Sports version which has been mentioned on the website. He said that he was expecting me to bring it up (when I mentioned that I was doing some research on buying new car). He admitted that it was incorrect information on the Fiat website and that the car does not come with these leather goods. We told him to provide the customer feedback to Fiat - he said he's already done that but things don't seem to improve much.
After gathering the final deal details, we took the car back to my place. On the way back, I wanted to try out a few things. So drove a little aggressively.
1. The car struggled to over-take a Honda City (in 2nd gear).
2. The suspension seems very good - very few shocks were felt inside the car. My friend was sitting in the rear seat and he also didn't feel any shocks.
3. Looks - Stunning - both front and rear view.
4. Tons of space - Very spacious. Very good rear seat, good boot space.
5. Ride and Handling - Car felt very nice. Steering was very good, tubeless tires do make some difference.
Here is the actual deal -
OTR - 4.57L
Discount - Free insurance (13K) + Corporate Discount (4K)
Final OTR - Around 4.4L
Freebies - Basic accessories, Sunfilm, Remote Locking, Body Cover
Delivery lead time - 1 week
Color Availability - All colors

Next up was Palio 1.6 Sports. This time it was Prerana Motors guy who came with the car all the way to Electronics City. I suggested him we take the NICE road, he can drop me off to my place and leave.
Driving this baby on the NICE road was a fantastic experience - touched 100-110 kmph (speedo/odometer was disabled just like in the first car) - - Very smooth (min. cabin noise)
- Very responsive steering
- Braking was good

2nd and 3rd gears are too good in this car. It revs up very nicely. We can accelerate even in the 4th gear also. 5th is kinna cruise control

Well, the NICE road isn't all the way nice. I mean, there is a stretch of about 2 kms which is pot-holled - worst road in Blore, according to me. I told him this is becoming like a review by one of those mags - Autocar/Overdirve. He said don't worry, now-a-days ppl want to take test drives on such roads itself.
The car handled the rough road amazingly well. Not a single noise (no thak/dhak nothing). I drove this stretch in 2nd gear with almost no clutch usage. I was able to appreciate the independent suspensions while driving thru this stretch.
Other than that - I found this guy more cooperative, patient and honest. He agreed that spares/service was pathetic earlier but now after tie-up with TATA, it has improved a lot. He explained all the features, answered questions. According to him, mileage in city will be around 10 kmpl and on highways 12-13 (with A/C on).
Here's the deal with 1.6 (Prerana Motors) -
OTR - 5.07L
Discount - Free insurance (16.5K) + Corporate Discount (5K)
Final OTR - Around 4.85L
Freebies - Basic accessories, Sunfilm, Remote Locking, Body Cover
Delivery lead time - 1 week
Color Availability - All colors

So, this was my experience of Palio TD. I'm yet to finalize the model.

Choosing between 1.1 & 1.6 -
I plan to keep the car for min. 5 years. I understand/experienced the 1.1 to be a little under-powered. I am not at all an aggressive driver, will drive the car sanely. So, do you guys think I should go for 1.1 or 1.6 ?
According to me, here are the differences -
1. Pick-up: 1.6 is incomparable to 1.1 (its kinna difference between Yamaha RX100 & Hero Honda CD100).
2. Wheels - 1.6 has alloy wheels
3. Tires - 1.6 tires are larger (by 1 inch) and wider
4. Initial Investment: Difference of approx. 50K
5. Mileage - Difference of about 5 kms (in city & highway). I believe 1.1 gives about 14-15 in city - owners please confirm.
6. Safety - I guess both are equally safe/same build quality though larger tires might make some difference.

This will be first car in the family. I plan to go on outings (AT LEAST, once a month - 5 ppl). Coming to think about it - difference in milage of about 4-5 kms does cause significant difference in the running costs - and I guess it matters to me.

So, guys which one do you suggest? Apart from the pick-up, will there be any issues in keeping a 1.1 for 5-6 years?

Sorry for the long mail, but I guess I'm too excited after driving the ravishing red car yesterday

Cheers !
prashkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 13:49   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Choosing between 1.1 & 1.6 -
I plan to keep the car for min. 5 years. I understand/experienced the 1.1 to be a little under-powered. I am not at all an aggressive driver, will drive the car sanely. So, do you guys think I should go for 1.1 or 1.6 ?
According to me, here are the differences -
1. Pick-up: 1.6 is incomparable to 1.1 (its kinna difference between Yamaha RX100 & Hero Honda CD100).
2. Wheels - 1.6 has alloy wheels
3. Tires - 1.6 tires are larger (by 1 inch) and wider
4. Initial Investment: Difference of approx. 50K
5. Mileage - Difference of about 5 kms (in city & highway). I believe 1.1 gives about 14-15 in city - owners please confirm.
6. Safety - I guess both are equally safe/same build quality though larger tires might make some difference.
I believe the 1.1 does not have a stabilizing bar in the front suspension,
but the 1.6 has it (as does any Palio retro); the ride in the 1.6 should be better (but I found the ride good enough when I test-drove the 1.1).

Quote:
I am not at all an aggressive driver, will drive the car sanely. So, do you guys think I should go for 1.1 or 1.6 ?
Quote:
This will be first car in the family. I plan to go on outings (AT LEAST, once a month - 5 ppl). Coming to think about it - difference in milage of about 4-5 kms does cause significant difference in the running costs - and I guess it matters to me.
If you are not a speed freak but also cover decent distances, the 1.1
should be fine. I have tried it on the NICE road, and it does take a while
to get to speed, but it was easy to cruise at 80-100kmph in 5th gear.

Overall, choosing a Palio (any Fiat?) is a matter of heart over head.
Neither the 1.1 nor the 1.6 looks like holding good value over the years,
if you want to sell it. But if Tata-Fiat half live up to expectations, it could
turn out to be a good car to keep.

If you don't let the heart rule over the head, the 1.1 Getz Prime might
have enough feel-good factor for you to consider.
Also, you could wait a month and see if the Hyundai Pa (i10) comes out
in time, and fits your requirements.
But Hyundai always seems over-priced.
GM/Chevrolet seem even more over-priced.

P.S#1:
Mine has been a case of the heart (Stile 1.6) wanting to prevail over the
next preferable option (Stile 1.1), but the head suggesting otherwise
(Getz 1.1, UV-A); the net result is : I still have not bought anything!

P.S#2:
BTW, your pre-sales experience was exactly opposite mine.
Prerana Motors (Lal Bagh road) made me wait half an hour, and then
said they had no vehicle for a test drive. Did you take an appointment?
Manipal Motors (K R Road) was very accomodating and arranged 2 test
drives over 2 days with no fuss.
yatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 15:37   #308
BHPian

Quote:

1. How come Fiat can afford to give so many safety features at such a price range in all its versions?

Care to answer guys?
I'm sorry - but what safety features are you talking about? I almost bought the Swift ZXI, because there weren't any safety features on offer with the Palio 1.6. I ended up buying the 1.6, but to date feel that i compromised on safety for the driving pleasure, looks and power.
Thingummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 17:19   #309
BHPian

Actually, the Prerana guy was supposed to come on Sat itself. Since the TD vehicle was not available, he called me in the evening and rescheduled it for Monday. I found the Manipal Motors guy a little aggressive and was trying to mislead - he later said lets drop the anti-rust coating discussion (which he initially said that the car would already have it - according to Fiat guys).

As for alternatives, I'm thinking about Swift Vxi - yet to test drive it. But I read another thread on this site where there were some concerns about narrower tires on Swift. I understand we have the option to go for wider tires, ABS and Airbags in Swift but for my budget, I've to choose between:

Palio 1.1L v/s Wagon-R Vxi
Palio 1.6L v/s Swift Vxi

I liked Palio car as such. But I'm yet to convince myself about the dealer/spare/service aspect. Planning to TD Swift and then decide.
prashkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 16:35   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by guessme View Post
Second problem which I am facing is that when the doors are shut the cabin lights are not getting off automatically. It was working perfectly before getting remote locking (autocop) installed. I suspect that either it's due to faulty connection of autocop
Hi Guessme and JishD,

How did you solve this problem? Yesterday i installed autop and noticed after stopping the car that my car got infected with the same problem as yours.

Thanks,
Raj
Old 12th October 2007, 16:33   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Hey maan,

So, send us your expert opinions asap. We are planning to empty our pockets by this weekend.

Care to answer guys?
Other (other than mileage, i.e.) things to worry about:
- Cost of spares
- Resale value

Safety features
The Palio Stile doesn't have ABS or Airbags as optionals even; as for the others (Immobilizer, Collapsible steering column etc.) it is simply an issue of scale economy.

So there.

~Strider
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 20:08   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Other (other than mileage, i.e.) things to worry about:
- Cost of spares
- Resale value
Palio spares are priced reasonably, infact cheaper that Swift! (as per the AutoCar Spares Survey done in Oct/Nov'2006)

Yes, Resale value is not that good!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 20:53   #313
BHPian

I didnt now the Stile 1.6 came only in red or black, just getting the idea that TATA is being smart here, they know they wont sell much of the 1.6 stile's, so its marketed it as a limited version for the really insane and RED and BLACK looks insane.
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:32   #314

If it is in Bangalore, i would suggest Manipal Motors, Excellent After service.
umapathy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 12:06   #315
BHPian

Wink Tips for Palio 1.6 New Owners

Guys,

Congrats to all those who have purchased 1.6, probabaly the safest, most enjoyable and comfortable hatch available.

I own a GTX for 4 years, just posting some tips which will be useful for new owners.

1) One of the problems I have been getting from fellow owners , even i did experience is radiator related issues, TVS guys told me its due to the design problem as the bumper is very much integrated with the radiator, which means your radiator gets hit when bumper gets ( not really a b2b hot on the bumper but a lower stone or a near radiator hit), so always ensure you are careful on bad roads, if there is at all a problem with the radiator, pl get it replaced rather than repaired.

2) Always keep an eye on the heat sensor ,at non ac it should not go over half and on ac it should abe less than 1/4 of total gauge, there can be many problems which could generate a devaition here , malfunctioning thermostat, low coolant ,fan not working etc which I feelis a common problem faced in palios , possibly always carry a can of water in your car if you goon long trips.

3) once in a month fill tyres and align properly,Once I ran for 2 weeks with about 20psi which runied my shocks and ever since i started doing monthly alignement and pressure check its been good ,my michlein certis has clocked 35 k plus and stillgoes well.

4) Fan damage after 5 year period. I have heard this from many other palio owners which causes a break down as over heating will come up which will demand for a local amature coil rewinding ->costs around 3k.

Having said this, apart from these, there will not be any problems, its so strongly build with quality,nothing else can really happen, my car is 2001 model and i never had any problems other than heating issues which is actually a TVS repairing issue rather than problem with the car( first lot of palios were not really madefor our roads) . No other maintenence done apart from oil changes.

New guys pl take sometime to get used to the mid range power of the car, it took me 3months time to start enjoying the second punch from 3000 to 5000 rpm which is the most enjoyable part in palio, somthing i couldnt find any where elseunder 9-10l cars. The kind of safety ,comfortablity and driving pleasure you getin this car isreally amazing. Other cars have powerwhich are not really used always ,in palio u end up in using as its naturally driven. if you go for a 5-6 hr long drive you can notice other cars trying to catch and eventually loosening up , as this car really drives naturally in comfort ,even u can race with ur family on board...

I dont suggest going over 110 though as Indian roads are not buit for and people are not consious , I nearly escaped once while raising with a laura on Kochi trivandrum high way. Use the power, stay atleast 2000 rpm in any gear it powers,stops , handles well and what not...
I do own a swift as well, its great vfm car , Fiat is a fiat,wish tata could give a good service for palio which is yet to
happen.
On Fual efficiency , I used a 800 for 3 years , then a santro for another 3 ,mileage i used to get was 14 and 13 respectively , if you look at a 1.1 tonne car with 100 horses which you really end up using , I think palio is one of the best fule efficient cars , 1.6 owners can never thinking of driving at 50kmp in 5 th gear....

Wish you guys an enjoyable ownership, do letme know if I can help you in any service related issues .
Always wear ur seat belts!!!!
Thanks
rageshbhaskar is offline   Reply With Quote