Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th February 2008, 23:57   #316

i won a Palio Stile 1.6 which i bought in manipal motors.
mileage is said that it is 10 in city, but for me without A/C it gives 9-10 only. but in highways i achieve a mileage of 14-15.
Excellent car for long trips, within 4 months, i have done around 13k kilometres, mostly in highways.
Go for it if mileage doesnt bother.
umapathy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 00:15   #317

I own a Palio Stile 1.6 for the past 6 months.

Everyone had talked about the plus points of the Palio.
ya, i do agree, it is an excellent car. but here are few things i would like to share in this forum.

Mileage as said by most of the users, is not right, or i have some problem in my car. it gives me 9-10 without AC. I mostly dont use AC since i am in bangalore. but still this is the reality. in highways i have achieved a mileage of 14 - 15 kms per liter, and with AC it is around 12-13kms which is fine.

Excellent clutch. after driving this Palio, i cant drive any alto or santros.
but i had changed the clutch assembly within the first 6 months of purchase, which costed me around 6k. i was told that i had driven my car, using half clutch very often, which i dont agree, and that too in just 6 months, so users, be careful bout it.

Tyres, all the four tyres failed on my trip from Bangalore to Tanjore. within a stretch of around 500 kms, i got 2 of my tyres blown, and way back i lost one more. when i checked with the local guys in Tamil nadu, i was told that they were old stocks, and now i have changed the complete set of stock tyres. manipal motors replaced one tyre at half the price after hearing the complaint from me. after that the tyres are fine, any way if there is any existing user who can suggest the best tyre for my car, i will be more than thankful.

these are the 3 issues i faced so far. 1) Tyres: never relay on the stock tyres. 2) Clutch: handle it carefully and avoid half clutch as much as possible. 3) Mileage.

I am not bothered or worried by saying this, i love my Palio, in fact i am planning to buy the diesel version as my second car, which is a different issue. but instead of just appreciating the car, lets us also get to these ground realities.

Happy Driving - Subbu.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:14   #318
BHPian

You blew up 2 stock tubeless tyres?? How fast were you driving or how bad was the road??

I've taken my stile 1.6 to 180 kmh on the mumbai-pune expressway a couple of times and thankfully my tyres are still alive (and so am i). There could be some foul play with the dealer...
uttamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 15:12   #319
BHPian

Hi Uttam...

I've been reading ur reviews for Palio 1.6 n impressed with it.....

Just to let you and other Palio lovers know....Yesterday had been to the main Dealer here in Navi Mumbai - Fortune Cars to check the Palio Stile 1.6

I found that now the Leather grip for Steering wheel and Leather Gear knob cover is still missing as before. I had confirmed from Ricky Walters from the Sales dept of Fiat this month itself, who said they have now reintroduced it.

The Dealer ppl said they dont provide it. Surprisingly the production manager also denied it even when I told that i've the mail from Rickey Walters. I'm thinkin to reply to him now abt this experience.

What action do you think we shd take...to get this feature back on!

Thanks...
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 16:19   #320
Senior - BHPian

The models here in tvm are getting leather geat knob and steetring. Check if those are old stocks.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 17:31   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umapathy1972 View Post
I own a Palio Stile 1.6 for the past 6 months.

Mileage as said by most of the users, is not right, or i have some problem in my car. it gives me 9-10 without AC. I mostly dont use AC since i am in bangalore. but still this is the reality. in highways i have achieved a mileage of 14 - 15 kms per liter, and with AC it is around 12-13kms which is fine.
The FE looks pretty bad. The last fuel refill I got 9.7ish with 75% AC.
On highway it is 16 to 17.

The lowser FE i have got in city with AC and with bumper to bumper movement is 8.25 and spirited driving. Highway lowest is 14 to 15 with 100% AC.

The half clutch can be a major contributor in reducing FE.

About the tyre blown ups...I used the OEM tyres (The tube tyre since its retro model) for 10500 km with out any problem....now replaced them with Yoko tubeless.

Has the FE improved after clutch assly replacement?
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 20:56   #322

hi uttam, the road was bad, but then, i could see all maruthi 800, and omni zipping in the same road with out any problem. any way, now i had replaced all four and then i had done 10000 kms, no problem so far.
Old 25th February 2008, 20:58   #323

FE sounds to be considerably better now, though i dont have exact numbers.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:27   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The models here in tvm are getting leather geat knob and steetring. Check if those are old stocks.
Hi Thomas...

The Fortune Dealer in Navi Mumbai said they are not part of the car now. They then called up the production manager (Balaji) and surprisingly he also denied it being available now.

What now? :(

Should I write abt this to Rickey Walters again?
Old 26th February 2008, 12:57   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Hi Thomas...

The Fortune Dealer in Navi Mumbai said they are not part of the car now. They then called up the production manager (Balaji) and surprisingly he also denied it being available now.

What now? :(

Should I write abt this to Rickey Walters again?
I think you should. My friend has booked a 1.6 here in trivandrum and they have promised to get us the one with the leather. Even the car that we test drove had leather on it. I was told that the new batches are coming with leather. But with FIAT will have to wait tll the car really arives here. Will keep you guys posted.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 18:47   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umapathy1972 View Post
FE sounds to be considerably better now, though i dont have exact numbers.
Make sure you fill up tank from half tank to avoid evaporation losses. If you keep your vehicle under sun, you will see your mileage get reduced compared to earlier.

I am still using my stock tyres for 3 years covering 42.5 KM.

-BSR
rao_battula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 10:26   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think you should. My friend has booked a 1.6 here in trivandrum and they have promised to get us the one with the leather. Even the car that we test drove had leather on it. I was told that the new batches are coming with leather. But with FIAT will have to wait tll the car really arives here. Will keep you guys posted.
Wow thts cool at ur end....here at Fotune Cars, Navi Mumbai had pathetic experience overall. First of all they gave a dusty old Palio Stile 1.1 SLE to TD. the Acceleration Pedal was damn too hard to press. Guess who came along with us for TD...the sales executive who knew nothin technical of Palio Stile. Darn!!

Anyways I've written to Fiat Service and Sales team abt the inefficient service here..awaiting their reply!

Another query...How is the child lock feature in Palio Stile? My frd said tht from the rear seat also...anybody can open the door while in motion! Is that true??

How does it work?

Thanks...
Old 28th February 2008, 11:15   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Another query...How is the child lock feature in Palio Stile? My frd said tht from the rear seat also...anybody can open the door while in motion! Is that true??

How does it work?

Thanks...
The child lock in the Palio / Petra is activated by turning a small plastic screw on the door, on the section which has the locking mechanism that fits into the door frame. When you shut this door now, it can only be opened from outside. So, a child sitting inside is perfectly safe. Also deactivate the window control at the back, and it becomes even safer at the back.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 12:46   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
The child lock in the Palio / Petra is activated by turning a small plastic screw on the door, on the section which has the locking mechanism that fits into the door frame. When you shut this door now, it can only be opened from outside. So, a child sitting inside is perfectly safe. Also deactivate the window control at the back, and it becomes even safer at the back.
hmmmm...thanks prabuddhadg! I might have to personally have a check as you mentioned! I wonder if this is the same mechanism in all the small cars including Xeta?
Old 4th March 2008, 12:57   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes almost all of the current generation cars have Child locks at rear, even an Alto has them so i think it can be safely assumed that even Xeta would be sporting them.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote