Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 20th August 2007, 12:36   #271

Hey! am new to this forum and its so cool to see the exhaustive reviews and responses for the optra magnum! went through all the 19 pages!! i took the test drive of O-D twice and the car is really gud! i am doin research for the past 2 months unable to decide to either go for octy elegance or O-D... i ve finally decided on the later!

I plan to go in for an external fitting of sunroof and spoiler! but the showroom guys said it is difficult to say if i can remove the 2 DIN stereo and replace it with my choice!it may not fit in. any idea about this guys?

Mod's Note: Do not break one single post into multiple ones unnecessarily. Reply to everyone in a single post. If you forgot something click the edit button and add text.

All contiguous posts merged.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th August 2007 at 01:52. Reason: Posts merged
Old 21st August 2007, 10:52   #272
BHPian

man sunroof?looks really nice but for me in mangalore i sat in a car with sun roof and its like sitting below a boiler so i dropped the idea and my advice to u is keep away from sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketnagpal View Post
magnum is a wonderful car . i am very aggressive driver and i feel magnum doesnt run out of steam ever . had a race with some one on laura and i pipped him out on my magnum .
ya man i have both laura and magnum and the magnum is way more powerful than the laura and much more comfortable

Mod's Note: Please answer everyone in a single post rather than putting up a new post for each reply. Posts merged.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th August 2007 at 01:55. Reason: Contiguous posts merged.
Old 21st August 2007, 11:32   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal View Post
I plan to go in for an external fitting of sunroof and spoiler! but the showroom guys said it is difficult to say if i can remove the 2 DIN stereo and replace it wid my choice!it may not fit in. any idea about this guys?
2 din is a standard size. you can fit in any other 2 din stereo you want.
Old 22nd August 2007, 22:06   #274

Hey ! booked my magnum today!! sparkling diamond and saw a cool spoiler on the chevy which they were delivering tdy... so i ordered one for me.... will upload da pics once i get ma car!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:25   #275
Senior - BHPian

@ ravimittal - Congrats! I got mine this week (after quite a few hiccups. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-delivery.html (A very bad day: New Optra magnum damaged on delivery)) But, its a fantastic car and as the saying goes "I'm loving it".
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:39   #276
Senior - BHPian

I just got my September Edition of TG. It has a comparison between the Big Diesel Sedans - Elantra CDRi , Magnum , Skoda Rider TDi.

Surprisingly Skoda got the least no. of praises. Magnum got the highest, Elantra CRDi was very close to Magnum.

They said - Magnum is the most comfortable car around. We know that of course, as Petrol has been around for long enough.

Actually it does make sense for someone to buy the mid-variant diesel as it really offers terriffic VFM. ( 9.6 Lacs OTR here in Agra )

BTW - Off Topic - I thought Elantra CRDi is not being made anymore !!!

Last edited by vkochar : 23rd August 2007 at 15:41.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:42   #277
Team-BHP Support

i think they are still being made because i keep seeing new elantras in the hyundai motor plaza showroom in mumbai.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:58   #278

shuvd- ur story is sad and I can imagine the anticipation and anger one faces seing such stuff happen!! probably its there in the Indian blood!.. sry for ya!! Hav a gr8 timw wid ur magnum!( psst- why addressing it as 'force'!)
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimittal View Post
\Hav a gr8 timw wid ur magnum!( psst- why addressing it as 'force'!)
I like to name my cars. Hence Magnum Force.
There was a Clint Eastwood movie by this name from the Dirty Harry series.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:41   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
There was a Clint Eastwood movie by this name from the Dirty Harry series.
Yup, nice movies, have all of them!! Clint is fantastic!!
Old 24th August 2007, 01:03   #281
BHPian

Guys,
heres answering all your questions.

Engine: Its an advanced 2.0 Common rail engine. the Octavia is a DI, Much more noisy and face it, its old now

Handling: Suspension on the optra is tuned by Lotus. Need i say more?

Safety: 4 star rating in the NHSTA and Euro NCAP. Need i say more?

FE: A km down on the Octy, but does a diff of 2.5 lacs tip the scales in favour of the Optra? Yeah!!. 13-14 in Mumbai city and 17 on the highway.

Maintenance: The servicing is once every 5K Km, Oil changes ever 10 K. Plus the benefit of the Chevy promise(They say you wont spend over 26999 over a 3 year/45k kM period. if you do they will refund your money!..the FIRST time ever i've heard of such a scheme..its awesome). The Octy costs an arm and a leg to repair and if you have a shunt god help you.

Torque is 314 NM @2150 RPM. The car is a ROCKET when you take it to 2000+ Rpm. Any more doubts?!

the milk moustache is part of the chrome kit. It was to be fit by all dealers on the display cars. Fortunately you have a choice not to purchase it! haha

there is some engine sound but it is creamy smooth and you hit the limiter in 1st before you know it. try that in a verna or a fiesta! Also the fiesta is a very economy tuned engine. No contest with the smokin optra

driven both bro. The octy is OLD school. Its a fine car no doubt but they cant dish out a 10 year old car in india and we like fools continue to buy it. Their service and spares are over priced and the customer service is going to the dogs. On the other hand GM is doubling its network, has really good cars now like the magnum 2.0 , spark U-va etc...they are on a roll man

Mod's Note: Do not break one post into multiple ones unnecessarily. Quote each person you are replying one by one and write the replies in one post. All contiguous posts merged.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th August 2007 at 01:48. Reason: Posts merged
Old 26th August 2007, 22:15   #282
Team-BHP Support

After getting a sms from Deepug on Thursday, I called one of my friend. He drives a Skoda 1.9 TDI. Told him that I want to drive his car on Saturday. Not on any open road but in thick city traffic. He came to my office on Saturday (yesterday) and we headed out for my home.

I was driving his Skoda. He was behind me, driving my Optra. 6km road took 40 minutes to cover (thanks to metro rail work in MG Road). Only less than a km stretch I could cover in 80kmph speed, was on airport road near command hospital.

It was the first time I drove a regular Octy.
Other one was not really a regular but a Pete box fitted one.
After one whiskey filled evening in Bombay, Robin very generously offered me to drive his car. Must say, it was fun.

Today sharp at 11am, Deepug arrived in his less than 24 hours-old Magnum. He wanted me to drive but I wanted to feel the car as a passenger. Odometer was at 134km. Car felt good and tight. No surprise as it was a new car. Engine noise was almost negligible. Ups and downs, road humps felt just like my petrol Optra.
After covering few km, we changed seats. We changed seats again at 156km on Odometer.

22km of Bangalore traffic. Amidst trucks (ring road) heading for various destinations and short open stretches… here is my opinion:

1. Steering felt much heavier than my petrol one. But sure -footed.
2. Clutch is stiffer than mine. I’d like to give a benefit of doubt due to diesel engine/different clutch configuration.
3. Brakes are fabulous. This is what I miss in my car.
4. Pulled the car down to 30km on overdrive. It didn’t make any fuss.
5. Slight pressure on right pedal (3rd gear @ 1500rpm) will push you back to your seat.
6. Didn’t find any issue with so-called turbo lag. Torque is great but I’m not overjoyed. My 1.8 is pretty similar in this area.
7. Gearshift is slightly better due to new setup. Again, I have no issue with my car here.
8. GM should have retained those goodies from old LT version.
9. I still like my old Optra’s face than this one (totally individual view).
10. Deepug should go for a wider tyre.

I don’t want to compare this car with other players. To each, his own. But someone who’s looking for a terrific mile muncher with utmost comfort, this should be the machine. He or she can trust GM’s new thrust in customer satisfaction.

I do fall into this category. I don’t really care for brands for brands sake.

Deepug, congrats. I would like to drive this car again once you finish its running in. And once again whenever/if ever you get a Pete’s box fitted.
Old 27th August 2007, 01:15   #283
Senior - BHPian

That was a very nice review Rudra Sir, i would want to ask you one question as a D segment prospective buyer & driving both which would you pick up?
Old 27th August 2007, 06:07   #284
BHPian

Rudraji

Nice drive with you, enjoyed it. Will be checking on making the tyre upgrade soon.

Best Regards
Deepu
Old 30th August 2007, 22:28   #285
BHPian

Sweet deal man!. Buying mine soon. I am waiting for SBI to process my loan! The car has a never ending pull!

Is anyone switching to 16" rims on the Magnum? I was thinking of replacing them with spoked alloys and wider rubber. How much do you think it will impact FE?

Hi dude,
the Alpine head unit is awesome. The speakers are **** though. Spend 5K and go for JBL's or something. However if you want to replace the Alpine unit it will come off easily and a new head unit will fit in like a glove. make sure no one cuts wires(like they did in Accent 7 years ago). Also i strictly suggest you DONT get a sunroof from outside. It will void your warranty, cause rust (as you are slicing off sheet metal from the car), impact safety in case of a frontal crash or a roll over and will eventually leak after 2-3 years. It is an unwritten code and my sisters BMW in the US has started leaking already!. I would advise against it. Are you buying from Orange?

Speaking of maintenance. When i bought an accent in 1999 i was scoffed at for buying a hyundai. Everyone was going gaga over the IKON. Today my friends who have a 2nd hand IKON are not getting over 1.3 lacs for it in the used car market, they have spent over 60 grand getting their cars repaired over the last 8 months. I on the other hand have not spent over 40 K over the last 7.5 years on my Accent. I have an offer of 1.95 on my accent now and will be selling it off and will buy a magnum LT soon. Ford is very very heavy on the pocket and not as reliable. Japs are the best, koreans are next. The Magnum has korean reliability and the diesel is one of the best around

Dude,
be reassured. The ECM replacement was done to prevent some battery drainage issues. Thats been sorted out. The new ecm has also been reprogrammed to reduce the effects of lag a little. The lag will be taken care of soon as the intercooler capacity is not enough, hence they will be increasing the size of this shortly. Whether in retrospect or not will have to be seen.

not a question of confidence. Just that they are going to bring out a optional warranty package to make money off it!. Jerks

Thats a shame dude,
did you try and lower the seat height? Of course a safari has more headroom!
The key to liking this car is to drive it. Are you saying you prefer a slow *** safari that needs people to push it above 100 v/s a stonking optra magnum?

Last edited by ajmat : 1st September 2007 at 05:31.
Closed Thread