Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2007, 16:25   #46
BHPian

well i was floored too once i got to read the torque rating of more than 30 kgm ( a little lesser than ferrari 360 modena) at as low as 2250 rpm,,, power was bound to be great... actually cant wait to test drive it...
Old 12th June 2007, 17:58   #47
BHPian

I like the looks of the new Optra Magnum... it's the only Car in the segment with a Diesel engine... isn't it? Camry... Are you Listening? and guys 150PS, 130PS... apun ko kya farak Padegaa Yaar... Do U really think U R practically going to use that 0-100 in 9.8 secs.... Common.. by the way, Fiesta is one of the largest selling car with 63PS. At the end of the day what people go for is the Maintenance and Mileage... Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 12th June 2007, 19:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs View Post
I like the looks of the new Optra Magnum... it's the only Car in the segment with a Diesel engine... isn't it? Camry... Are you Listening? and guys 150PS, 130PS... apun ko kya farak Padegaa Yaar... Do U really think U R practically going to use that 0-100 in 9.8 secs.... Common.. by the way, Fiesta is one of the largest selling car with 63PS. At the end of the day what people go for is the Maintenance and Mileage... Correct me if i am wrong.
Did u forget Skoda octavia and Hyundai Elantra? For people who love to push their car every second matters and even for people who do not push their cars powerful cars are more comfortable to drive compared to their weaker counterparts.
Old 12th June 2007, 20:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Went in for a test drive today but they havent got RTO clearance in Kerala yet so they cant take the car out on the road. Did some clutch-dumping starts in the Chevy dealer's yard - I dont think they particularly liked me doing that.

No it didnt burn any rubber. Its got power, but somehow not as overwhelming as some other Common Rails I've driven. Took quite a bit of revving to get it to jump.

The car isnt really spacious, as its an Optra. However, far better than sitting in an Octavia.

The engine has a bit of valve clatter entering the cabin, but this could've been because it was cold.

Am getting a full test drive tomorrow - 1 hour. RTO permitting, of course!
Old 12th June 2007, 20:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No offence buddy..!
I'm just desperate to know more about its performance after reading the engine spec
No offence taken sir. I was just asking what more could i tell you about the engine any specific points ???
Old 12th June 2007, 22:13   #51
Team-BHP Support

@steer so does that mean another blinged black optra added to team bhp
Old 12th June 2007, 22:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Am getting a full test drive tomorrow - 1 hour. RTO permitting, of course!
Wow we are waiting.
Do check the engine refinement vis-a-vis the Octavia.
Old 13th June 2007, 18:45   #53
Team-BHP Support

Default My testdrive

Called up apex auto today afternoon as the dealer promised me the testdrive of magnum,the dealer asks me to come so i dropped in to the dealership after waiting for some 20-25 minutes the car arrived so here's my impression-

LOOKS-They are subjective and i have already posted pics in day before yesterday's post.To me optra has always been one of the best looking cars in the segment.

INTERIORS- interiors are nice and well designed.most of has have seen the previous optra's interiors so there are minor changes in the interiors like cricular vent etc. car is more spacious than Octavia and interiors are airy compared to octavia though not futuristic as in civic.wood inserts look good.driver's seat is height adjustable in all the models and gets lumbar support adjustment in all models except base.Steering is adjustable and is four spoke leather in top of the line LT.

ENGINE-The engine is refined like all common rail engines but it does not match the refinement of fiesta diesel except that its more refined than verna crdi and octavia tdi.

ON THE ROAD- Start up is shake free unlike accent crdi.cabin noise insulation is superb there is lesser noise intruding compared to verna and ocatavia.i shifted into first did not floor it moved with ease ,hit the highway,took the u turn and i had empty exressway ahead floored it the car waited till around 1900rpm and then the surge is blowing ,the engine gets a bit rough after 3500rpm but the real fun of this car is riding the torque wave,ive driven verna crdi for thousands of kilometers it was the most fun to drive diesel but now magnum takes the crown,floor the car in any gear and the car surges ahead and torque is addictive.AC on the car was tripping the salesman told me that the car didnt had pdi yet,otherwise ac was good.i could not try the ride though as i ripped the car on expressway.diesel mangnum get discs all round and ABS is only available on top of the line LT but on smooth roads brakes are powerful enough to stop on serious speeds.

Equipment- LT-misses sunroof but has airbags ABS,2din alpine HU,15"alloys,leather seats etc
LS-misses chrome garnishes and abs ,airbags but has alloys+1 din kenwood HU+foglamps+3spoke non leather steering
MAX-misses alloys+HU+foglamps+OVRM indicators

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th June 2007 at 19:00.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:27   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs View Post
by the way, Fiesta is one of the largest selling car with 63PS. At the end of the day what people go for is the Maintenance and Mileage... Correct me if i am wrong.
Mileage is ok but maintenance? that too a ford? no where thats true in this world. Ford's are great machines to drive and sucker to maintain. Costly spares and less reliable when comparing with Jap counterparts. This is an universal fact and I dont think of a reason this would have changed in India.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:52   #55
BHPian

How does the engine sound after its reached its optimum temp.? i mean does it have a 'low-tech diesel clatter' or a refined sound? how audible is the turbo?
Old 15th June 2007, 01:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Why is there no interest or advt around Optra Magnum.... Has the car not released yet? Why does there website not reflect pricing and why does team bhp not have a thread on it in Indian car scene. I had thought that a 120 hp car would have got more attention???
Old 15th June 2007, 11:48   #57
BHPian

Hey, thanx for the report.... The magnum seems to be an exciting car, with oodles of torque and power. The base model looks to be quite cheap too. Me thinks its bound to steal away skoda's customers. Come to think of it, they havent upgraded the Octavia in ages!
Old 15th June 2007, 11:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

@ Aseem there was a thread, here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-pg-5-a.html (Pics : Optra CDX (Diesel) spotted..EDIT now Launched. Pg. 5)
Old 15th June 2007, 12:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
ENGINE-The engine is refined like all common rail engines but it does not match the refinement of fiesta diesel except that its more refined than verna crdi and octavia tdi.
I found it less refined than the other three - it was more in line with the old Accent CRDi sort of clatter.
Old 15th June 2007, 12:41   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I found it less refined than the other three - it was more in line with the old Accent CRDi sort of clatter.
Yes i agree it sounds rough but its not loud and roughness doesnot intrude the cabin .Accent CRDi feels very out dated these days,last weekend i had a viva CRDi the whole day and the way it shakes feels very odd,but that due to the three cyl engine.
Closed Thread