Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2007, 09:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

The middle model (ls) Does not come with leather interiors AFAIK
Old 17th June 2007, 10:31   #77
BHPian

Nope! The ls does not come with leather upholstery however it does come with discs all around and alloys.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:19   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
the turbo lag is there but when you accelerate you dont feel the jerk of the turbo kicking in like the verna. It's not switch like at 1800rpm 0 or 1, it's more linear and I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Well I am just a lil sad that they didnt come with VGT which even the Indigo Dicor offers...
Well, Verna is what made VGT common, but if it feels linear compared to Verna, then there is no visible advantage.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:27   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well I am just a lil sad that they didnt come with VGT which even the Indigo Dicor offers... that would have made a superb deal. In addition the 9 Lakh Ex showroom middle model comes with no Airbags and ABS but leather interiors and alloys. Wrong choice GM, its about time you value the life of Indians and follow the footsteps of MUL.
Magnum does the job nicely even it does not have a VGT,its powerful enough without VGT,for those interested in airbags ,abs and leather can go in for LT model priced at 9.99lakhs ex showroom delhi
Old 17th June 2007, 11:33   #80
BHPian

I was called for ECM check for my magnum yesterday. There were some problem with the car and thats why delivery was stopped for 2-3 days. Now that is sorted out. I met a technical manager from GM. He said they were working on to reduce the turbo lag and as soon as they find a solution, they will contact me first.

He was also mentioning that he was part of Aveo diesel mission. Currently 2 engines are meen tested. One was their own and other was Fiat 1.9. They are in feasibilty test and will not roll out before 2008.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:37   #81
BHPian

Also RTO approval has come and my car is now T/R registered.They put the T/R number plate before but only yesterday they gave me RTO papers as they did not get approval before.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:47   #82
BHPian

To talk about my one weeks experience with the car. First let me tell you I am not new to diesel cars and i have Lancer diesel and Palio diesel. I have also driven Skoda quite a bit.

The car is very very smooth once you get it moving. Refinement are at amazing levels. Its a delight to accelerate on a slop. Road inclines or A/C switched on does not matter to the motor at all but that is once we have the car moving.

Only problem is if you need to get the car moving on a slop. Having driven Palio that does not stop or jerks no matter what because of drive-by-wire technology. You really dont need to floor the accelrator to get the car moving on a slop in Palio but with Optra its different. To get into our apartment, i need to stop and then move into apartment which has a steep slop. If i dont floor the accelerator, then the car starts jerking. I need to floor the accelerator till the turbo kicks in.

Also another small issue is not so smooth gear shifts.

In overall, car is fantastic to drive. I am glad i waited for 2 extra weeks to get this car and did not go with Verna.
Old 17th June 2007, 13:24   #83

sold my ikon 50 days back and since then i am in frantic search of a good car.
firstly zeroed on elentra but then saw new elentra on net so cancelled this thought and after going thru honda city vtec, fiesta ,verna and sx4 setteled for verna although controls on curve were dodgy.

then i learnt about optra and after reading all the reviews have made up my mind to buy it but i am still unsure about its mileage can somebody help me out.
Old 17th June 2007, 13:51   #84
Team-BHP Support

The advantage of VGT maybe lesser turbolag but for some reason the Verna has loads of lag even with the VGT. Also remember the VGT would be more expensive. See the Verna's price 9L for a stripped down car. The Optra cost would have been equal to the Skoda's negating the price advantage.
Old 17th June 2007, 14:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

To get into our apartment, i need to stop and then move into apartment which has a steep slop. If i dont floor the accelerator, then the car starts jerking. I need to floor the accelerator till the turbo kicks in.

Also another small issue is not so smooth gear shifts.

Well that is where SKODA OCTAVIA 1.9 TDi scores hands down. I can take my car up from my basement parking up a steep ramp in 1st gear without even touching the accelerator pedal. Also the gear shift is TOP NOTCH.......Having said that.....the OPTRA MAGNUM I feel is still VFM...a little sacrifice but a huge price difference. Both have their pros & cons. I have yet to drive the Magnum though.....can only make an informed comment after the TD.
Old 17th June 2007, 16:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Magnum does the job nicely even it does not have a VGT,its powerful enough without VGT,for those interested in airbags ,abs and leather can go in for LT model priced at 9.99lakhs ex showroom delhi
There is more to a car than just power numbers... how that power is delivered is whats most important. In a power hungry country like India, all we care is about power numbers. Things like driveability, turbo lag, in gear acceleration take back seat... If they had given VGT the car would have been much more driveable. For a 10 lakh rupee car, if manf dont even offer VGT, thats a shame.
For those who have driven this car, how is the clutch, is it light. Can a lady driver drive this... the one who couldnt drive Swift deisel as she found the clutch too hard.
Also their website shows that the middle model comes with leather interiors??? Is that a mistake?
Whats the difference between base model and middle model, just alloys and indicators on OVRM, what about cooled glove box?

Last edited by aseem : 17th June 2007 at 16:15.
Old 17th June 2007, 19:28   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Also their website shows that the middle model comes with leather interiors??? Is that a mistake?
The website doesn't show that the middle variant (LS) comes with leather interiors. Leather upholstery, leather wrapped gear knob and 4 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel with silver accents is only available in the top of the line (LT) variant.

Cooled glove box is available in all three variants.
Old 17th June 2007, 22:17   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For those who have driven this car, how is the clutch, is it light. Can a lady driver drive this... the one who couldnt drive Swift deisel as she found the clutch too hard.

Have seen many ladies (mostly girls) driving around in the Swift DDiS
Old 17th June 2007, 22:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Clutch is very light. I dont this this should be an issue.

Middle variant does not have leather upholstery.

Last edited by Rodeo : 17th June 2007 at 22:36.
Old 18th June 2007, 01:01   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
they didnt come with VGT which even the Indigo Dicor offers...
Uh, a bit OT, but are you sure the Indigo Dicor comes with VGT? Ok, I am not aware of that. If its true then at 5.25lacs it is really too highly spec'd in terms of techno-goodies, I must say.
Closed Thread