Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th July 2007, 20:27   #31
BHPian

Is fiat taking note of all these developments ? They could re-launch adventure with a 1.3 ltr 90 bhp diesel engine, and price it under 7 lakhs.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:42   #32
BHPian

Having read this thread...I have a few points in mind that I want to put forward:
Ford fusion Diesel is priced 7.5 lacs on road:
How many BIG diesel cars do we have in India priced within 7.5 Lacs ??
Petra, Logan and Fusion....(please add if I am missing something).
Petra: Great car but pathetic service network
Logan: Good car but felt cheap when I drove it...looks not all that great to spend 7.5 Lacs

So we are remained with Fusion which looks good and to be specific pretty macho...has a reliable Peugeot Engine...comes fully loaded (including ICE module)...handles well...is peppy and gives a very comfortable drive...pretty silent inside and gives a premium car feel.

But still you say the Car is not great for the price.
Why ??? Because it doesnt have Airbags and ABS ???
How many people buy a Car because it has ABS ??
Its definitely a safety feature but it affects sales only when the price band is over crowded with many good choices. But thats not the case here. At 7.5 Lacs we dont have many choices of good diesel cars (fully loaded).

Some say, if you add another 90k you get a Fiesta....Sir, you add another 90k and you get a Elantra, yet another 90k will get you a Corolla and so on.

The point is, if your budget starts at 7 Lacs and can extend upto 8.5 Lacs then you have many options. But if your budget starts at 5Lacs and extends upto 6 Lacs then going for a 7.5 Lacs Fusion seems feasible because you save heavily on the fuel costs and the same can go towards the EMI and in turn you own a premium big car instead of premium small car or a entry level big car.
Moreover Fusion has a very contemporary looks and stands out in a crowd compared to regular sedans.
Even I would have been happy if Ford would have priced the fusion 50k lesser but even in the current scenario, I see a winner if Ford can market it well.
Pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

heard this one is noisy unlike in Fiesta!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
The point is, if your budget starts at 7 Lacs and can extend upto 8.5 Lacs then you have many options. But if your budget starts at 5Lacs and extends upto 6 Lacs then going for a 7.5 Lacs Fusion seems feasible because you save heavily on the fuel costs and the same can go towards the EMI and in turn you own a premium big car instead of premium small car or a entry level big car
No matter which hatch you own, Indian market will consider a hatch a hatch (I know its , but Indian market has that mindset). You wont get the premium car status with the Fusion.

IMO, in the Indian market, sedans and SUVs get more respect from the rest of the world.

Have seen many people calling the SRV a 'hatch' and the esteem/ikon (sedans) a big car, even though dimensions prove otherwise.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I havent driven the Fiesta...but Fusion is not noisy (at least cant be called so unless you are comparing it to some ultra silent Petrol engine).
Just to give you a reference its more silent than Ikon (Petrol), Logan Diesel, and Zen Diesel. Ikon and Logan I drove on the same day as the Fusion where as I have Zen Diesel owned by a family member...good car but not as silent.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No matter which hatch you own, Indian market will consider a hatch a hatch (I know its , but Indian market has that mindset). You wont get the premium car status with the Fusion.

IMO, in the Indian market, sedans and SUVs get more respect from the rest of the world.

Have seen many people calling the SRV a 'hatch' and the esteem/ikon (sedans) a big car, even though dimensions prove otherwise.
I know what you are saying and partially agree...
But practically a SRV turns 10 times more heads than a Fiesta or Verna...the reason for its slow market response lies in some of its inherent shortcomings...it is styled as a sexy sports car but is heavily under powered. A car at this level doesnt sell if it cannot impress the buyer during the test drive....many of my friends wanted to buy it but were heavily disappointed when they took the test drive. On the contrary many of my friends who hated Logan due its ugly back and out dated squary looks ended up considering it as a good option in the price band just because it could impress them (and me) in the first test drive itself.

As for Fusion, it has very contemporary looks...macho male looking big vehicle. It definitely looks more like a very modern Gypsy/smaller-SUV than a Getz/UVA category hatchback. It has an attractive road presence and definitely poses luxury and premium feel than a "yet another" small hatchback feel. Some people may still say its just a hatchback but that would be more due to jealousy than anything else.

If one is looking at premium small diesel car then it would be Swift and if one is looking at something bigger and bolder its the Fusion.
I hope Ford markets it well.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:29   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Tell me about it. Some of my teammates after travelling in my Ikon remarked it was a 'BIG' car, and so on. I just didnt have the energy to drive home the point.

The maid who comes home for the cleaning hiked her rates within a couple of months after we bought the 'BIG' car.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 12:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^ The same thing happened to me too after I bought my car :(. Even the guy who cleans cars demanded twice of what others pay him saying its a big car. In India a big car means a 3 box sedan irrespective of how much space is in there. Sad if you ask me. Thats the reason Fusion Diesel won't sell.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st August 2007 at 12:48.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:31   #39
BHPian

I wish they'd changed the quality of the plastics on the dash when the diesel version was launched... the dash top looks like a misfit in a car costing that much. You'd expect a much better deal for the kind of money you put in. Hope Ford is listening and will come up with a car with inspiring interiors. I bet it's a car that can capture the imagination of the young at heart, who don't mind spending money on a car that looks different...provided it's packaged imaginatively. BTW, are the guys at Fiat sleeping? Adventure is a car that is waiting to be marketed rightly. It can change people's perception about Fiat and set the stage for Linea, to be rolled out some time next year.
Vayalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 17:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Thats the reason Fusion Diesel won't sell.
Too early to say that buddy...I can already see quite a few Fusions on road here in BLR and most of them were Diesel.
Thats a good indication.
Lets see how it responds in smaller cities though.
Old 1st August 2007, 20:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayalam View Post
I wish they'd changed the quality of the plastics on the dash when the diesel version was launched... the dash top looks like a misfit in a car costing that much. You'd expect a much better deal for the kind of money you put in.
The point is...compared to its other Diesel competitors (within 7.5 Lacs)...its interiors were the best.
Basically it may not be an absolute best as a package but its definitely the best package within that 7.5 price band.
Anything better commands an extra 1 Lac (Fiesta, Verna etc)...which is not exactly an insignificant difference.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:41   #42
BHPian

I have been following all Fusion threads. I have gone through pros & cons of the vehicle and still I bought Fusion Diesel, took delivery on 25-Jul. I took the car for a long drive over the week end to my in-laws place (~250 KMs) from Chennai. My few comments (tried to be as honest as possible).

I am not very good at comparing vehicle performance with standard terminology. But I tried to provide some details with which experts can judge its performance.

- Mileage: I filled the tank in Pondichery. I had some local trip with in town and also outside town. While coming back to Chennai, I filled the tank again. Tank is again full with 22.4 liters. Trip meter reading was 388 (~240 for long drive and 148 is mix of local & long drive).

- I could reach 100 to 110 KMH with 2000 RPM. Car was loaded with 3 adult, one 4 year kid, 1 one year kid and full luggage at back. My brother in law (who owns Swift) said that engine is very responsive while compared with Swift D.

- I could feel the Engine noise inside the car when I don't play any music. Also, when you honk, I feel like it is honking inside the cabin. I am not sure why is that. As per my in-law, Fusion is not as quite as Swift.

- Interior are superior than normal hatchback. I am very happy about interiors because We will not get a plastic feel anywhere inside the car. Other than front area, other sides are very light in colour. This gives spacious look for the interiors. I am not very comfortable with black shade, but it is not too bad as well. Fusion interiors can't be compared with City GXI.

- High ground clearance helped me to cross many speed breaker with out any panic. In one of the speed breaker, Honda City (which was chasing me) went to side as it got a bad hit on its bottom. High GC gives confidence in rural drive.

Overall I feel that car is very sturdy, spacious, many features with a primum price. This is suitable for people who don't mind spending some extra money for a difference.
vanchi_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:03   #43
BHPian

Good Quick review Vanchi.
Even I knew its not as silent as the Swift..which in itself is a benchmark for any Diesel Vehicle.

I am yet to see a car within 9Lacs which has better or equivalent interiors as the Honda City Gxi...its interiors are terrific.

Good that you like the Fusion....a friend of mine is buying it very soon as well.
Old 8th August 2007, 08:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
There will be no Esteem DDiS (I hope). They might be planning to bring in Swift DDis instead. They will plonk in between Swift DDis and SX4 models or in between SX4 vxi and zxi. Otherwise, it will be vry difficult to MUL to sell this car as it will be competing with others in the same segment. This is my assumption.
Sorry..what are you getting at.. The SWIFT diesel is a DDIS..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 09:49   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanchi_s View Post
- I could feel the Engine noise inside the car when I don't play any music. Also, when you honk, I feel like it is honking inside the cabin. I am not sure why is that. As per my in-law, Fusion is not as quite as Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The noise insulation (under the hood) is not as good as that in the Fiesta.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote