Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th August 2007, 13:38   #1
BHPian

Default Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia Spirit TD

I had almost decided on a Honda City ZX vtec when I read about the Cedia on TBHP. The reviews and the enthusiasm of BHPians about this car aroused my curiosity about the Cedia, I decided to TD the Cedia. I did it on Cedia Spirit last Saturday. My impressions
  • Exterior : Impressive. The car looks nice and has certain elegance about it. The one I did the TD on was white, and it looked cool. The front grille could have been designed better, but it does blend with the contour. Clear lines, swept back headlamps (the EVO headlamp design was better) and the 3-point star in the center give it a strong and sturdy look. The tail lamp assembly gives it a merc look.
  • Interior: Getting inside wasnít a problem, though taller people will have to crouch a bit. It is quite comfortable inside. Dual tone dashboard in wood and titanium finish looks good, though I prefer a more wooden look. The gearshift and parking brake knobs are leather wrapped, which looks classy. Little thoughtful additions like floor console box where you could keep your coins, knick knacks etc. are good features. Wide leather seats add to the comfort level. Rear seats are quite comfortable, though not as much as Optra. The centre armrest with cup holders is a good feature along with the ability to access the boot from the rear seat.
  • Ride: I allowed the driver to take me around for the first half an hour. I sat behind on the rear seats to get a feel of the drive. The rear seats were comfortable with enough leg space. With the windows up, outside noise almost inaudible. The suspension is a bit stiff as one could feel the jerk when going over potholes, though it wasnít much of a bother. I was told that they modified the suspension for Indian conditions. Maybe since I am used to Opelís suspension, I could feel it more. Overall the ride was comfortable.
  • Drive: Very comfortable driverís seat with all the controls within easy reach. This car can really take off. The pick up is excellent. I could easily overtake a Fiesta in one short burst with the 3rd gear engaged and the car was ready to fly. Initially the 2nd gear took some time to slot, till I got used to it. Otherwise, the stickshift responded well. Even in a start-stop traffic situation the performance was very responsive with very good torque. Cedia handled hard turns very efficiently, and I liked the maneuverability of the car despite its size. The steering wheel is quite comfortable though a little light but still with quite good feedback. Electronically adjusted OVRM is a good feature, but I somehow feel that the level of adjustment is always better when it is done manually with the lever. I missed the rear wash and wipe that I am used to. I feel it is necessary to have that on the Indian roads which are so dusty,. The sales guy of course reminded me that that is a normal feature of hatchbacks and not sedans. Still I would have liked a rear windshield cleansing system.
  • The A/C is more than efficient and here the climate control feature is missed because it really gets very chilly inside. One problem is that the vent on the right side directly blows on the driverís right hand. My fingers were numb with cold so I had to switch it off.
  • The stock ICE is very basic and it actually is an eyesore as the balck color HU was not blending with the rest of the cockpit in terms of looks.
Overall it is a great car to drive and it is really VFM with all the goodies like ABS/EBD, Airbags, collapsible steering etc loaded. If Mitsubishi/HM can aggressively market the Cedia, it will give the Honda City, Civic, Corollas a run for their money.
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:08   #2
BANNED

WoW, Cedia fans are growing. Just one question, how does it compare with competition in city & highways driving? Thanks.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:29   #3
BHPian

Nice review dude. Well HM does seem to be doing something right. I wonder if all this growing fan base translates into higher sales for the car. Seems to me that though everyone is impressed, they still go by the head and buy a Honda or whatever. What about you??

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 10th August 2007 at 01:33.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 02:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

the story is incomplete , so is it the VTEC or the Cedia?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 02:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

That was a very objective review, but can you on also test drive the NHC VTEC, so that you have a first hand experience of what the other thread talks about.

Moreover, it will also give us an idea about your Cedia test drive report as well!!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 07:37   #6
BHPian

What price? What discounts on offer? Do all the models have the safety features?
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 12:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

So how much nowadays for a cedia - after discounts ? And as jkdas said - which one is it - vtec or cedia ?
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Non octroi registration in Maharashtra 9.63 OTR before discounts. You can take around 30K atleast for discounts which can go up if you negotiate well. Better discounts if your car is financed.
As for me, if I get the right price it will be Cedia for me. Still negotiating
Old 25th October 2007, 15:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Me just joined the Cedia club and extremely happy to have taken the right decision. I am in full agreement with every observation you have made.
This car is NO COMPARISON to any other car likes of City/fiesta/Elantra/SX4.
This car gives all that have Civic / Corolla for much less price and size enough to drive around Indian Cities.
Happy Driving...
RajaTaurus
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Nice write up on your test drive. Do tell us what you got finally. I am also waiting for my cedia sports (Black) to be delivered some time soon.
1000Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 20:55   #11
BHPian

Default Its NHC finally

Hmmm...I finally decided on City. Primary reason being - budget. HM wasn't willing to come down to 9.2L that I budgeted for. Office was paying 9L and I decided to extend it by another 20K. They stuck at 9.5L. Didn't make sense to spend 50K on a car that would not be mine anyway. The car would have be registered in my company's name and I'd get a new car in 3 years' time anyway. The other reason was the intransigence of Metro motors. The sales guys made a mistake since they thought I was desperate for a Cedia. They could have made inroads in the organisation which is currently Honda territory.

Got my City 2 weeks back. I am quite happy with it. It is a Gxi which I modified with alloys, front fogs, wooden finish and leather seats. Currently breaking in the car. First service is due in 1000kms which is another 46 kms away. FE is around 11 in mixed traffic conditions (75% city/25% highway) currently. Infact the first time I calculated I got 11.8 kmpl and the next time it was around 10.5. Maybe due to hill driving. Went to Jawhar this weekend with family, and felt good driving on the WE Highway and hills, though wished it had more punch.

Last edited by wheelsNsqueals : 29th October 2007 at 21:00. Reason: re-phrasing
Old 29th October 2007, 21:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ouch I thought the USP of the iDSI City was fuel efficiency. Thats not terribly higher than what I get in my Cedia (10 or so in city, 13-14 on highway).
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 21:28   #13
BHPian

The FE should improve considerably after the first service. Hoping it would . Any feedback from iDSI owners?
Old 30th October 2007, 10:30   #14
BANNED

Thumbs up

Congragulations Mr wheelsNsqueals !!!

How about starting the NHC thread? Then all the NHC owners will pitch in.
Note: Since the title read Cedia, not many would be interested to read this thread anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Any feedback from iDSI owners?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Congratulations wheels.

One question: What made you made you choose the GXi against the Vtec +? If I am not mistaken you could have got the Vtec + in the same range with ABS and all too...
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote