Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th September 2007, 14:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have been driving on the Chennai - Bangalore highway for around 3 years now, but never the NHC or the NHC VTec could stand with the Ikon.

But i also understand how good is the OHC VTec (Had a nice run on the highway sometime back with the old VTec of my friend's...).
IT WAS IMPRESSIVE.

You are not getting the same as it was a few years back. I still love the OHC VTec. The NHC VTec is overpriced and it simply doesnt make sense!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:00   #32
BANNED

Hey man, OHC VTEC was selling at 11 lakhs but the NHC VTEC sells at 9.3 lakhs. Then why do you say its overpriced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The NHC VTec is overpriced and it simply doesnt make sense!

Last edited by diabloo : 4th September 2007 at 15:01.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:08   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hey man, OHC VTEC was selling at 11 lakhs but the NHC VTEC sells at 9.3 lakhs. Then why do you say its overpriced?
the ohc vtec was a completely different ballgame altogether. it was like the RS of that time.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
0-100 figures for

fiesta 1.6 - 11.43 sec
city iDSI - 13.11 sec
city Vtec - 10.66

And more surprize:---------

40 - 100 kmph (in 4th gear)
fiesta 1.6 - 17.21 sec
city iDSI - 17.76 sec
city Vtec - 17.29

So if I am driving at 50kmph and suddenly need to accelrate and overtake someone, iDSI is just as fast as anybody else, that too with only 77 bhp and 15kmpl FE.
Completely lame argument... If one needs to accelerate suddenly to overtake, he/she will downshift not floor the throttle in 4th gear and wait. Once you do that, the other cars will completely eat the iDSI City.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey man, if its underpowered why does it whip every other car (in its category) on the highway?
@diabloo - can you please give a list of the cars it can whip in its category on higways?
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:29   #36
BANNED

I agree. OHC VTEC was fun to drive and the adrenaline rush was worth the money (11 lakhs in this case). But comparing from price point:
  • EPS comes in for HPS
  • Fabulous interiors comes in for normal interiors
  • L series engine in for B series engine
But still NHC VTEC is cheaper than OHC VTEC !
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the ohc vtec was a completely different ballgame altogether. it was like the RS of that time.

Last edited by diabloo : 4th September 2007 at 15:30.
Old 4th September 2007, 15:42   #37
BANNED

hey, its under 1.5L (stock) category. Stock Esteem comes close but it doesn't have the top whack. This is for iDSI. If its VTEC, then none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@diabloo - can you please give a list of the cars it can whip in its category on higways?
Old 4th September 2007, 15:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hey, its under 1.5L (stock) category. Stock Esteem comes close but it doesn't have the top whack. This is for iDSI. If its VTEC, then none.
oh ok, so it is wrt engine size. I thought you were speaking about C segment cars in general. But IMO NHC seems very unstable after 140-150 Kmph.
Old 4th September 2007, 15:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
well no. id say the city comes close to the esteem.

the OHC vtec was more powerful than the NHC vtec.
the looks were better(IMO).
the interiors of the NHC arent much better than that of the OHC.
i agree, the vtec was high priced and it was selling at that since there were no other performance oriented sedans at that time. had the OHC been there now id wouldnt have sold at 11.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 16:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering. Since you said earlier that the NHC is not overpriced.
Now that you are comparing it with 1.5L or less engine capacity cars, don't you think it is overpriced ??

In Kolkata the GXi costs around 2.5L more than the Esteem, Accent and easily 1.5L more than the Aveo/Fiesta 1.4L variants.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 16:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He probably had Santro, WagonR, Maruti800 and Alto in his list---can't think of any other car that is slower, unless we go for dated models like Premier Padmini and Ambassador.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 16:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Completely lame argument... If one needs to accelerate suddenly to overtake, he/she will downshift not floor the throttle in 4th gear and wait. Once you do that, the other cars will completely eat the iDSI City.
He he he....

This is no argument. These are figures.

If the three cars are in 4th gear at 50 kmph and the drivers step on gas, they will reach 100kmph at the same time!

This does not mean the drivers can not downshift....

If one does not understand the significance of this test, and thinks the test is about racing, then I am sorry for him.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 16:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Last month Razor4077 (in a brand new VTEC) and I (in my 2.5 year old Balneo) had gone out some 50 Kms out of Kolkata at night. During that journey he told me that the VTEC was not handling properly and it was very difficult to slow it down from 140 Kmph. IMO braking should not be an issue with discs all around and maybe this particular car had some problem. But I think NHC is better suited for 77 bhp and should not be given 100 bhp if it cannot handle that power. Very good drivers may be able drive the vtec to its limit but for general drivers I think the dynamics are not suited for that powerful engine. Maybe Razor can post what problems he was facing that night.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:32   #44
BANNED

Hey, the idea of segments is rubbish. Does it bother anybody that they own A,B,C,D or A1,A2,A3,A4 segment cars? No !! What matters to them is that they own 6 lakh car, 8 lakh car, 14 lakh car. I won't go to the market to buy a A3 segment car or a C segment car. I go to market to buy a 8 lakh car.
Quote:
oh ok, so it is wrt engine size. I thought you were speaking about C segment cars in general. But IMO NHC seems very unstable after 140-150 Kmph.
Every car has its price. M800 costs 2 lakh & Esteem costs 5 lakhs. Can anybody account for extra 3 lakhs worth of materials in Esteem?
A pair of Nike costs 2000 rupees. Stitching a pair of Nike & getting it to the selling place would not cost more than 200 bucks. What happens to the other 1800 bucks? Isn't it overpriced also? Then why do you buy a pair of Nike? NHC costs 8 lakhs. SRV costs 8 lakhs. But people buy NHC because they feel its worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I was wondering. Since you said earlier that the NHC is not overpriced.
Now that you are comparing it with 1.5L or less engine capacity cars, don't you think it is overpriced ??

In Kolkata the GXi costs around 2.5L more than the Esteem, Accent and easily 1.5L more than the Aveo/Fiesta 1.4L variants.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, the idea of segments is rubbish. Does it bother anybody that they own A,B,C,D or A1,A2,A3,A4 segment cars? No !! What matters to them is that they own 6 lakh car, 8 lakh car, 14 lakh car. I won't go to the market to buy a A3 segment car or a C segment car. I go to market to buy a 8 lakh car.
Then why does not Honda put a 1 litre 50 bhp engine in the city - it would give even better mileage without compromising other things??