Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th August 2007, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Default From Alto VX 1.1 to getting Torqued

Here goes my journey from an Alto VX1.1 2000 model to Optra Magnum 2.0 LT tCDI.

Had purchased my Alto VX 1.1 (My first car) in 2000 just after my marriage. After almost 5 1/2 years and 90000 on the ODO decided it was time to for a new car. But somehow the decision on buying a new car got extended.

Around Jan/Feb 2006 decided to buy New Honda City VTEC. Had a test drive. Other than the light steering,lack of feedback and low ground clearance, a good car, although the external looks didnít appeal much.

Then came a rider from my wifey, she wants a car for herself or else no new car for me. Although she knew how to drive, she didnít have much experience in Bangalore. That is 2 more months, for teaching her driving, before my new car. 3 months later one day happened to step in to Hyundai showroom and to our surprise we ended up booking a Santro for my wifey, got a good deal from Advaith along with a good exchange offer for our Alto.

There I happened to check the Elantra Crdi and for almost the same price of NHC VTEC , you get Elantra,(both are not going to win any beauty pageants anyway) a much better VFM proposition with the economy and torque of a diesel, good equipment list and above all the possibility of installing Pete's box. Also got a good feeback from Tadu, Hanmust. Decided to go ahead with Elantra around Sept, 2006 timeframe.

Meanwhile tried Volvo Bus for office commute, turned out to be a good experience, see wifey was using the new car. All set for booking the car, here comes great news, there is going to be another addition to the family. Immediately she stopped using the car and back to office transport and me stuck with the Santro. Didnít want to have 2 cars with one not being used at all, so postponed the new car by another year.

April 14th 2007, became proud father of a cute baby girl. With wifey and baby away in Kerala till June, again started the hunt for a new car.

Enter one more contender Mitsubishi Cedia, with all the price cuts it was definitely VFM. Was obviously inluenced by the reports from Fight_Club and ROC on Cedia. NHC VTEC was any way out of picture and with new Elantra expected dropped the current one. So decided on Cedia. The day I was supposed to schedule for a test drive with our Admin dept, see's the full page ad in TOI of Optra Magnum 2.0 diesel and the torque figure of 314 NM had my jaw dropping in amazement.

To cut the long story short, after 4 test drives, booked Magnum LT (didnt want to miss out on the ABS and Airbags - which in my opinion is a requirement.)from Garuda on 9th and took delivery on 25th. Also gave a -ive feedback for not making ABS/Airbags optional on the LS model.

I donít have anything more to add about the car than what is said earlier by other Team-BHPian's. Not been able to experience of the torque due to the running in period. Ownership experience later.

Sorry for the long post.

Best regards
Deepu

PS: Waiting for Pete's box for Magnum.
deepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 01:23   #2
BHPian

Congrats deepug. Do post some pics of the Magnum and also how much you paid for the same with accs.
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 10:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Deepug. Can't wait for an ownership review on the car from you.

Happy Torquing.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 13:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wheeew, Deepug and the old man came over and pulled me out for a test drive,

Giving respect for the newness - the car pulls like a train. Put your foot down and it surges forward. Only the soft suspension stops it from being a future terror!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 14:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Congrats deepug. Any problems registering the car?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 14:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats for the purchase. You could be the first Optra Magnum owner on the forum, i could be wrong. Do post some pics and your initial driving experience.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys. Will post pictures and initial reviews soon.

@TheMag: Absolutely no problem in registering.Got my number already.

@mobike008: Mine is not the first Magnum on the forum.

@Nimz: No acc's as of now. I paid 11.66 OTR

Best regards
Deepu
deepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:51   #8
BHPian

Congrats. Are you keeping the car stock or modding it in any way ?
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote