Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 6th October 2007, 13:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
That's Tata for you dear. If you know well, the earliest of the 3L DICORs were restricted to 150kmph speedo read. The engine would keep pulling well untill 150kmph and BANG! Brick Wall!
Those who have driven those earlier versions and then the later ones back to back will know what I mean when they see the Speedo easily fly past the 150 mark towards 180kmph speedo read.
The Dicors are restricted to 140, not 150. If you see 150 its speedo error.

Which ones fly towards 180?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The 3.0l will not be available in safari, once the stocks get over. 3.0l safari is discontinued so no point beating around the bush. You can wait for its service in the Sumo though.
Any 2.2 owner that wants a 3.0 motor is welcome to contact me. I'll be happy to switch.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th October 2007 at 13:55.
Old 6th October 2007, 14:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Dicors are restricted to 140, not 150. If you see 150 its speedo error.

Which ones fly towards 180?
Yes that is correct on stock tyres. The 3L that I drive has aftermarket tyres and rims. There is a slight drop in overall circumference and hence the optimistic reading.
Same goes for the 180 figure. On stock tyres, the later batches of the unrestricted DICORs should be EASILY seeing ATLEAST 160kmph top speed.

ahoy Overdose. What does your Safari show at the top?
Old 6th October 2007, 15:11   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's Tata for you dear. If you know well, the earliest of the 3L DICORs were restricted to 150kmph speedo read. The engine would keep pulling well untill 150kmph and BANG! Brick Wall!
Those who have driven those earlier versions and then the later ones back to back will know what I mean when they see the Speedo easily fly past the 150 mark towards 180kmph speedo read.

180kmph is only possible(speedo indicated not real) with 14"alloys(or even smaller) otherwise the real top speed is restricted to 140 something,and which version you talking about ive driven almost all versions and have them in my friend circle.If meter is the thing to go by get the meter tampered to show 200kmph any local mechanic can do it with ease.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th October 2007 at 15:14.
Old 6th October 2007, 15:16   #34
BHPian

Nope. That's with the 15" only dear. And I'm positive that later Dicors were unrestricted.
Seen a new Dicor outpull the old one on the highway. The old one hits the brick wall at 150speedo (140 on 16" tyres). New one (again with 15") pulls ahead from that point on.
Old 6th October 2007, 15:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope. That's with the 15" only dear. And I'm positive that later Dicors were unrestricted.
Seen a new Dicor outpull the old one on the highway. The old one hits the brick wall at 150speedo (140 on 16" tyres). New one (again with 15") pulls ahead from that point on.
But safari comes with 16" wheels???
Old 6th October 2007, 15:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Terrific that - I cant wait for Dr. K's inter-city test drive now!!!
I thought Honeywell made the Turbo.
Garrett used to be a separate company some decades ago, it came to Honeywell along with its transportation business. Honeywell retained the Garrett name on the turbochargers because its following and currently owns a brand.

Honeywell has also started its Pune operations few years back, as major of its Indian customers are located there.
Old 6th October 2007, 16:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

I agree guys about comfort level between Innova and Safari. For Indian roads Safari is best vehicle to travel, next comes Innova.

Safari seats are like Sofa to sit!

your point is valid anshuman

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 6th October 2007 at 16:26.
Old 6th October 2007, 16:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I agree guys about comfort level between Innova and Safari. For Indian roads Safari is best vehicle to travel, next comes Innova.

Safari seats are like Sofa to sit!

Ravi.
I agree and i swear upon safari seats but i miss the adjustablity of the innova seats in safari,in innova limited travel of suspension is more of concern on bad roads rather than the seats.
Old 6th October 2007, 16:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
One thing I noticed now a days many politicians are using Innova rather than Safari.

in ap, it's still safaris mostly followed by scorpios
Old 6th October 2007, 16:52   #40
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Like I expected, the "there is no replacement for displacement" phenomenon has played its part and proved that numbers don't matter much in the real world.

Why did U post a picture of the fuse box?
i wanted to show the quality of fuses and relay used. very good i must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
And I notice an ABS module in the pics. How did the brakes feel?
bake felt very good and linear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What do you mean? not torquey enough?
3L drives by torque but 2.2l is mixture of bhp and torque.
pull of 3l can't be compared

Quote:
you mean 3L is like a STD Bullet 350 and 2.2L like Thunderbird?
i'm atypo here
Quote:
what do you mean by 3L rules above 100? Is it the way she pulls?
yes above 100 was the area where 3L ruled and it will, 2.2L addresses drivability issues below 100, now you don't need to change gears that often.

Last edited by overdose14 : 6th October 2007 at 16:55.
Old 6th October 2007, 17:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Why would a manufacturer deliberately make its NEW product feel worse? If anything they would go out of their way to make it feel better - they're in the business of SELLING cars.

Those that have driven the 2.2 before have maintained that the engine is a totally different animal altogether. I also dont see how the narrow-band 3.0 can be more fun to drive than a revvy 2.2. IMHO these observations are probably a result of:

1. 3.0 owner's subconscious justification of his own purchase.

2. Exceedingly high expectations.

yes, very right but only on 2nd one.

138 horses don't show up that well.
if i was to choose between 3L and 2.2L and with no changes at all.
even i would have chosen 2.2L but problem is 3 years of development and tata managed to come up with a little upgrade is really disappointing.
they should have worked upon 3L itself. thats how i feel.

in normal drive there was hardly any difference other than extra gear shifts and after hour of test drive ,arguments and feedback from 10 people we've come up with this conclusion.

i wanted 2.2L should have done what 3L had done to safari after 6 or 7 years.
i don't want to justify my purchase, new thing come and go.
i'm happy with my safari. no regrets
Old 6th October 2007, 17:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
ahoy Overdose. What does your Safari show at the top?
i was trying to max out and at 140+ in typical indian style, one chap gave me side and then again came in front of me when i was about to overtake him because he did'nt wanted to slow down because of a motor cycle. result Tokyo drift and my safari sliding straight with car turned horizontally and then bamn boom. i've ripped my front bumper and broke front grill.
thank god no one was hurt.

and 3L will be available on order( this is what sales guy told me).

oh i almost forgot a nice mod for 3L, get your cat clean ( i mean empty) and then no more smoke problems and you'll have a little better acceleration.

and v1p3r could you please tell me about performance box availability and pricing.

Last edited by overdose14 : 6th October 2007 at 17:27.
Old 6th October 2007, 17:30   #43
BHPian

Hello Safariphiles!

Here is a feel of what I have experienced so far:
3.0 v/s 2.2

Looks (exteriors and interiors):
Both look equally handsome,macho and strong.
The 2.2 biege interiors looks brighter than the grey interiors of the 3.0
Biege however does threaten to get dirty sooner than grey.
Personally I prefer the instrument panel of the 3.0,seems more classy especially when illuminated.
The old grill of the 3.0 also I feel was better.But the new one does break the monotony a bit.
The spare wheel cover of the 3.0 is way better looking than the new one on the 2.2 (looks like an M&M candy gem).
The new one however has a more convenient zipper and velcro system rather than a plastic clip on buckle as seen on the 3.0
No changes in aircon vents (but the chilling and air throw is much better on the 2.2).Aircon fan is as noisy.
No changes in the jump seats etc.
Plastic quality and all is unchanged.
From the rear the 2.2's bottom view looks a little odd because of the protrusions designed to protect the differential.
On the road:
I have driven a 3.0 EX 4x4 for nearly 8000km in 3 and a half months and a 2.2 EX 4x2 for 254km in a day and a half (excluding a 10km drive on the 29th of
Sep).
The 2.2 engine is definitely more silent than the very harsh 3.0
In cabin engine NVH is hardly felt.
The first gear shift has been a problem in 2 of 3 vehicles that I have driven.
Gear throw distance on the 2.2 is less pronounced than the 3.0
Clutch as soft as the 3.0 but still inadequate for the engine power.I think they have retained the 280 dia on the Luk clutch/pressure plate assembly.(?Needs
confirmation)
Both the 3.0 and the 2.2 are very good and smooth cruisers.
Without a doubt the 3.0 pulls much better on the highway than the 2.2
No change in high speed overtaking.
Wind shear noise on the 2.2 after 100 kmph is unbearable.I noticed this on all three 2.2's driven.I'm at a loss to figure why.Maybe window beadings?
The power steering on the 2.2 seems smoother and more responsive, though both have Rane power steering systems.This makes the car move a bit at high speeds
at a slight movement of the steering.Feels a little dicey.
At a speed of 150kmph the 2.2 feels shaky and dangerous to drive.The engine however, at that speed is smooth as silk.
Surpisingly the 3.0 feels more torquey than the 2.2
I dont know if these TD vehicles have been deliberately detuned a bit to slow down wear and tear because of abuse
The first and second gear pull on the 3.0 is better than the 2.2
Braking quality is the same on both.(driven both without ABS/EBD)
The last 2.2 I drove had no rattles at all on the tail gate and less noise from the door trims.
The suspension on the 2.2 seems softer and more silent over pot holes and bumps than the 3.0, maybe because these were brand new vehicles.
Old 6th October 2007, 17:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
I have driven a 3.0 EX 4x4 for nearly 8000km in 3 and a half months and a 2.2 EX 4x2 for 254km in a day and a half (excluding a 10km drive on the 29th of
Sep).
How come you have had such a long drive on the 2.2 doc?
Old 6th October 2007, 18:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

hey doc, which one would u suggest?

mean to say,if u had a option to pick up either the 3.0 or the 2.2, which one would u pick up?

Last edited by aadix : 6th October 2007 at 18:25.
Closed Thread