Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 18:34   #46
BHPian
 
overdose14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brampton,Canada
Posts: 159
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
Hello Safariphiles!

Here is a feel of what I have experienced so far:
3.0 v/s 2.2

Looks (exteriors and interiors):
Both look equally handsome,macho and strong.
The 2.2 biege interiors looks brighter than the grey interiors of the 3.0
Biege however does threaten to get dirty sooner than grey.
Personally I prefer the instrument panel of the 3.0,seems more classy especially when illuminated.
The old grill of the 3.0 also I feel was better.But the new one does break the monotony a bit.
The spare wheel cover of the 3.0 is way better looking than the new one on the 2.2 (looks like an M&M candy gem).
The new one however has a more convenient zipper and velcro system rather than a plastic clip on buckle as seen on the 3.0
No changes in aircon vents (but the chilling and air throw is much better on the 2.2).Aircon fan is as noisy.
No changes in the jump seats etc.
Plastic quality and all is unchanged.
From the rear the 2.2's bottom view looks a little odd because of the protrusions designed to protect the differential.
On the road:
I have driven a 3.0 EX 4x4 for nearly 8000km in 3 and a half months and a 2.2 EX 4x2 for 254km in a day and a half (excluding a 10km drive on the 29th of
Sep).
The 2.2 engine is definitely more silent than the very harsh 3.0
In cabin engine NVH is hardly felt.
The first gear shift has been a problem in 2 of 3 vehicles that I have driven.
Gear throw distance on the 2.2 is less pronounced than the 3.0
Clutch as soft as the 3.0 but still inadequate for the engine power.I think they have retained the 280 dia on the Luk clutch/pressure plate assembly.(?Needs
confirmation)
Both the 3.0 and the 2.2 are very good and smooth cruisers.
Without a doubt the 3.0 pulls much better on the highway than the 2.2
No change in high speed overtaking.
Wind shear noise on the 2.2 after 100 kmph is unbearable.I noticed this on all three 2.2's driven.I'm at a loss to figure why.Maybe window beadings?
The power steering on the 2.2 seems smoother and more responsive, though both have Rane power steering systems.This makes the car move a bit at high speeds
at a slight movement of the steering.Feels a little dicey.
At a speed of 150kmph the 2.2 feels shaky and dangerous to drive.The engine however, at that speed is smooth as silk.
Surpisingly the 3.0 feels more torquey than the 2.2
I dont know if these TD vehicles have been deliberately detuned a bit to slow down wear and tear because of abuse
The first and second gear pull on the 3.0 is better than the 2.2
Braking quality is the same on both.(driven both without ABS/EBD)
The last 2.2 I drove had no rattles at all on the tail gate and less noise from the door trims.
The suspension on the 2.2 seems softer and more silent over pot holes and bumps than the 3.0, maybe because these were brand new vehicles.
as I've written earlier after asking more than 10 persons who took test drive and 4 were 3L owners complained about 4th and 5th gear performance all took test drive for at least half and hour. i think gear box ratio have been changed.
and 2.2L now matched innova smoothness and is definitely a very good buy.

Doc i our case vehicle was rock solid even at 150+ (speedo) and i think bhp figures are at crank.
overdose14 is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 18:36   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 315
Thanked: Once
Default

2.2 instrument cluster;loud?


plastic (ahem!) quality




tampered odometer or detuned?


new rubber dampeners on the 2.2 to cut out door rattles

no dampeners on the 3.0

new scuff boards



brighter biege cabin
no change in jump seats

after burning serious rubber



p.s: sorry the pics didn't post well at all.either i suck at it or imageshack sucks

Last edited by doctorkats : 6th October 2007 at 18:39.
doctorkats is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 18:43   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 315
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey doc, which one would u suggest?

mean to say,if u had a option to pick up either the 3.0 or the 2.2, which one would u pick up?
I would go for the 3.0, leave the stereo on to drown out the engine noise and buy the power box and harness Steer is getting tested.
Seriously.
doctorkats is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 18:53   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,710
Thanked: 8,930 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
I would go for the 3.0, leave the stereo on to drown out the engine noise and buy the power box and harness Steer is getting tested.
Seriously.
I dont agree to your point of view.3.0 is too crude and unrefined to me and the boom in the cabin is seriously annoying.3.0 also calls for more gear shifting from the poor gearbox that vibrates and the clutch is not too inviting to play with after moreso if you have other cars in your garage and they are sedans like in my case accent and verna which have light controls.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 19:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Those that have driven the 2.2 before have maintained that the engine is a totally different animal altogether. I also dont see how the narrow-band 3.0 can be more fun to drive than a revvy 2.2. IMHO these observations are probably a result of:.
What I've noticed is that cars with huge lag feel really fast when the turbo hits. So, to an agressive driver, it feels fast but is a pain in the city traffic. My Eclipse turbo was just like that.

Likewise, a car with a flat torque curve will actually feel slow because power delivery is linear. No kick in the pants but just a steady surge. anyway, at the end of the day the numbers dont lie. So...out with the numbers please...somebody.

The light steering may be a result of the reduced weight on the front axle due to the alloy engine.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th October 2007 at 20:04.
Mpower is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:02   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
So...out with the numbers please...somebody.
Safari 3.0 Dicor - 0 - 100 - 19secs
Safari 2.2 Dicor - 0 - 100 - 15secs(claimed by Tata)

4 secs faster, surely 2.2 is the way to go no matter what people say on this forum, i would not want to buy a car with a engine which is being phased out from the car.
BUSA is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:04   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I dont agree to your point of view.3.0 is too crude and unrefined to me and the boom in the cabin is seriously annoying.3.0 also calls for more gear shifting from the poor gearbox that vibrates and the clutch is not too inviting to play with after moreso if you have other cars in your garage and they are sedans like in my case accent and verna which have light controls.
1. 3.0 is a bit crude and there is a boom in the cabin @ §1600~1700.

2. Gearbox is anything but poor and doesnt vibrate. It is a pretty good box by most standards, except for the throw which is longish.

3. I normally drive an automatic car, not even a geared sedan with a clutch. I have no issues with the clutch - every vehicle is different and its a bit unrealistic to expect a 3 litre truck to behave like a tiny sedan.

You will appreciate the clutch travel when you have to go off-road and have to control the torque to get out of sticky situations.

However lets go back to the 2.2. Its 3.something seconds faster to the hundred as the 3.0 does a 100 in 18.something.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th October 2007 at 20:05.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:07   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
new rubber dampeners on the 2.2 to cut out door rattles

no dampeners on the 3.0
Doc

Those rubber dampers are not to cut out door rattles - they WILL however cut down wind noise at higher speeds. I've been looking to do something like this for the wind noise, now its a straight Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V from the 2.2!!!

PS: Wind noise in the 2.2 may be more noticeable because there is less engine noise!

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th October 2007 at 20:13.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:13   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,760
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Doc

Those rubber dampers are not to cut out door rattles - they WILL however cut down wind noise at higher speeds. I've been looking to do something like this for the wind noise, now its a straight Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V from the 2.2!!!
but someone was complaining that there is much more noise above 100 in the 2.2 as compared to the 3.0??
Akshay1234 is online now  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:17   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
And I'm positive that later Dicors were unrestricted.
They werent. The latest Dicor Boy on the forum, Mr. Himanshu Lawyer Goswami should be able to confirm this.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:34   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
i think gear box ratio have been changed.
and 2.2L now matched innova smoothness and is definitely a very good buy.Doc i our case vehicle was rock solid even at 150+ (speedo) and i think bhp figures are at crank.
I guess its time I put in my 2 cents (observed from 3rd Oct)

Here is the few detail straight from the Book apart from what i have posted before
  1. BORE @85*96
  2. 103KW@4000RPM
  3. 320NM@1700-2700RPM
  4. GEAR RATIOS
    1. 4.10 (This is really more than 3.0)
    2. 2.2
    3. 1.37
    4. 1.00
    5. .77 & REVERSE @3.75
  5. CLUTCH SINGLE DRY (same as 3.0ltr)
    1. Let the clutch release bearing oil dry up and it will be lil rough and hard again As long as the clutch rel bearing sleeve is oiled at reg interval,its silky)
  6. ALTERNATOR RATING 125 AMPS (rated down from 135amp 3.0ltr)
Views expressed below is on a vehicle which hasnt properly runin and is brand new.. therefore likely to be biased. They may improve or worsen as the vehicle goes through first service and so on...
  • Steering feel & feedback on the new TD vehicle is better than before
  • Better NVH (only time will tell how long it lasts)
  • I mostly drive with windows down except hot sunny day, My trained ears could easily hear the strain on engine between 2500-3000 rpm. Maybe it will improve after runin period and 1 or 2 services.
  • extremely linear power delivery though engine revs free.
  • I disagree comparing/matched it to innovas smootheness
  • Seems like they have reworked on the synchromesh making it smoother to throw gears around.(tata's cant make superb gearboxes so dont compare it with jap or us or european cars)
  • Worse part.. didnt actually feel the power of 140 horses
  • Makes it better than before to drive in city conditions
To cut the story short, I didnt find it very peppy to drive with, but kinda better. Gossips are going on about wait n watch..seriously.I am thinking of trading in my dicor with the new avtar by next diwali, if all goes well with the 2.2

On a lighter note, I could see lots of existing 3.0 ltr wealthy owner trading in their dicors of the current year for the new one. So in Pune..who so ever has faith in 3.0 can approach dealers for a good deal on 2nd hand dicor....
Cheers....
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:37   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 315
Thanked: Once
Default

Steeroid:
1. 3.0 is a bit crude and there is a boom in the cabin @ 1600~1700.

2. Gearbox is anything but poor and doesnt vibrate. It is a pretty good box by most standards, except for the throw which is longish.

I agree.The gear box on the 3.0 is good and crisp.

3. I normally drive an automatic car, not even a geared sedan with a clutch. I have no issues with the clutch - every vehicle is different and its a bit unrealistic to expect a 3 litre truck to behave like a tiny sedan.

I second that.The clutch is pretty soft for a vehicle that size.

You will appreciate the clutch travel when you have to go off-road and have to control the torque to get out of sticky situations.

Like this....?
[img=http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1669/dsc02299zp0.th.jpg]



However lets go back to the 2.2. Its 3.something seconds faster to the hundred as the 3.0 does a 100 in 18.something.[/quote]

(twenty characters)
doctorkats is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:39   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They werent. The latest Dicor Boy on the forum, Mr. Himanshu Lawyer Goswami should be able to confirm this.
Allegedly.. One of the 3.0 ltr DICORS I have seen in Pune does 160 on Expressway with a/c on effortlessly and well planted on the tarmac @2600rpm.
Anyways..

Has anyone booked new 2.2 on this forum....?

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 6th October 2007 at 20:46.
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:53   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Has anyone booked new 2.2 on this forum....?
Turbanman has booked a 2.2 VX

Dockap - Thats a awesome pic, currently my wallpaper

Last edited by BUSA : 6th October 2007 at 20:59.
BUSA is offline  
Old 6th October 2007, 20:56   #60
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 544
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Have any of you got a chance to take a look at the LX? Is the body cladding and bumpers colour same as that on the grill (i mean, handsome grey, or the earlier dull gray itself)?
dkamath is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT - Black Beast - 8.5 years and 100,000 kms up! v&v Long-Term Ownership Reviews 109 19th June 2017 12:27
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report rrsteer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 87 14th July 2012 20:02
*PLEASE READ* these guidelines before posting an Ownership Report on Team-BHP! .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 0 1st February 2011 22:05
*PLEASE READ* these guidelines before posting an Ownership Report on Team-BHP! .anshuman Long-Term Ownership Reviews 0 1st February 2011 22:05
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model? alexnazim SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 150 1st December 2009 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks