Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th October 2007, 12:59   #196
Team-BHP Support

Congratz ADC awaiting the report.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:20   #197
BHPian

hey adc,

congrats on the car, look forward to yuor 1st hand report now...

saw a black lx version of the 2.2 as i was turning in towards home today... didn't have time to see the insides.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:35   #198
BHPian

Default Congrats ADC!

Thats the first 2.2L at TEAM-BHP great news and way to go. Have fun and let us know the performance in detail. Also, give us your frank opinion on the ownership front - the complete experience. Best of Luck and enjoy your drive.

Cheers!
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 14:05   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
I am not sure of this statement. Even when I test drove in Bangalore, the dealer was reluctant to allow me to take the vehicle on roads where I could touch 100 or more. I am skeptical about their intentions and the performance of the car.

I think driving safari upto 80 km/hr is not a real good test. You have all the right if you are buying to take a longer test drive and take it beyond 100 and check the perforamance and if the gasket issue is true.

My advise is please be more careful as you are putting your hard earned money.
Thanks for the advise.
I will be going to another dealer (Autolink) in Delhi and take another TD.
Will try to take it to more than 100 and see the response of the vehicle. But I was just talking to one of the dealers and asked him the same ques and he said that as these are new vehicles they are a little vary of allowing the probable customers driving the vehicles at high speeds.

Anyways will most likely book the car today evening. The wait time, I have been told for 'Artic White" is about 10-12 days and other colors are 4-5 days (black, grey, silver, gold).
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 14:46   #200
BHPian

So guys. Now i have the information on whats going wrong with the 2.2 and why so many people are getting information on blown head gasket and other things.

So till now the summary(100% definite) is that TATA Motors has not yet accepted a problem with head gasket (blown) and at least Concorde Hyderabad has no such notification to fix any car or so.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM. And its with the "POWER STEERING". Especially all 4*4s are suffering with this and TATA Motors has sent a new power steering pipe assembly to be retrofitted in all Safaris and that is the reason so many 2.2s are seen in the service centre.

This is a free of cost retrofit (in case any delivery has been made) of the power steering pipe assembly for 100% of the 4*4s and many of the 4*2s

I guess this gives us some comfort that till now there is nothing wrong with the engine....Lets keep our fingers crossed guys till the time other retrofit comes. However one thing is sure that TATA will continue giving free retrofits

Last edited by rajismine : 18th October 2007 at 14:49.
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:05   #201
BHPian

[quote=power ranger;599027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys
I believe that by buying the safari I would be getting full worth every rupee spent.

I am not sure of this statement. Even when I test drove in Bangalore, the dealer was reluctant to allow me to take the vehicle on roads where I could touch 100 or more. I am skeptical about their intentions and the performance of the car.

I think driving safari upto 80 km/hr is not a real good test. You have all the right if you are buying to take a longer test drive and take it beyond 100 and check the perforamance and if the gasket issue is true.

My advise is please be more careful as you are putting your hard earned money.
Power,

I am not sure about this, can you mention which Dealer is that from Bangalore? If this is happened to you, then the Rep is either novice or a bad apple in the lot :-)

I did TD 2.2L 2 days before the official launch in Bangalore i.e. 6th Oct 07 and I did took the truck to Nice corridor and ripped it at 140+ and no issues or objections what so ever from the rep (you can see more details in this thread)

However, I have opted for 3.0 which would be coming tomorrow.

Last edited by reachmash : 18th October 2007 at 15:13.
reachmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:46   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
So guys. Now i have the information on whats going wrong with the 2.2 and why so many people are getting information on blown head gasket and other things.

So till now the summary(100% definite) is that TATA Motors has not yet accepted a problem with head gasket (blown) and at least Concorde Hyderabad has no such notification to fix any car or so.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM. And its with the "POWER STEERING". Especially all 4*4s are suffering with this and TATA Motors has sent a new power steering pipe assembly to be retrofitted in all Safaris and that is the reason so many 2.2s are seen in the service centre.

This is a free of cost retrofit (in case any delivery has been made) of the power steering pipe assembly for 100% of the 4*4s and many of the 4*2s

I guess this gives us some comfort that till now there is nothing wrong with the engine....Lets keep our fingers crossed guys till the time other retrofit comes. However one thing is sure that TATA will continue giving free retrofits
what about the starter motor? Is that fine? AFAIK starter assembly and Power steering hose were the two problem areas.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:57   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks for the advise.
The wait time, I have been told for 'Artic White" is about 10-12 days and other colors are 4-5 days (black, grey, silver, gold).
Which dealer is this? I want to book a Mountain Green LX. Each dealer says they want a minimum of 15 days. Sanya says 22-25 days.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 16:11   #204
BHPian

[quote=reachmash;599228]
Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

Power,

I am not sure about this, can you mention which Dealer is that from Bangalore? If this is happened to you, then the Rep is either novice or a bad apple in the lot :-)

I did TD 2.2L 2 days before the official launch in Bangalore i.e. 6th Oct 07 and I did took the truck to Nice corridor and ripped it at 140+ and no issues or objections what so ever from the rep (you can see more details in this thread)

However, I have opted for 3.0 which would be coming tomorrow.
Good choice reachmash. The dealer is concorde motors. I do not remember the guys name though
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 17:12   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
what about the starter motor? Is that fine? AFAIK starter assembly and Power steering hose were the two problem areas.
No Clue of the starter motor. But anyways it should not be a big issue. I was more bothered about the head gasket and power steering...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 17:24   #206
BHPian

Quote:
No Clue of the starter motor. But anyways it should not be a big issue. I was more bothered about the head gasket and power steering...
I hope these are the only issues, cause Vehicles are lined up at the company, are these call backs or what, don't know. Then they are also producing 60 vehicles a day! This is really confusing cause after you make all the arrangements-finances for the dream SUV after TD they hit you with such news! Damn. I hope they get this rectified soon.
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 18:36   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobo View Post
Which dealer is this? I want to book a Mountain Green LX. Each dealer says they want a minimum of 15 days. Sanya says 22-25 days.
The Dealer is A-One Motors in South Delhi.

but all the trucks that are arriving are Ex's and not LX's. But still you could call them up and try
ADDED LATER
now I believe there are 4 members interested in buying this beast in the NCR
djbobo
abbey4u
bruty &
myself
We can carry on this discussing in the other thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...cor-3-0-a.html (a TATA dealer in the NCR or around for buying the safari dicor 3.0)
and leave this thread for purely TD reports so that the direction of discussion does not change

Quote:

So as far as it is covered under warranty its no major problem as even those trucks that have not been shipped from the factory will undergo the same modifications. So in the long run does it really matter?

Secondly, I do not know whether this is connected or not but I was at a party last night and happened to meet an acquaintance of a friend who has a TATA dealership somewhere in Haryana or Punjab I do not remember now, Anyways I told him that I was going for the new 2.2. He specifically told me to go in for the 4X2 and not the 4X4 but did not give any further details.
Thought that I might share

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd October 2007 at 16:06. Reason: Contiguous posts merged
Old 19th October 2007, 21:01   #208
adc
Senior - BHPian

Default 2.2 @850 km

Well so here it goes.

Started as planned around 630 on Thursday morning and took the NH34 Durgapur expressway and then via the diversion to Moregram.

At Moregram we get on to the NH34. This NH34 will definitely count as one of the worst highways, it is somewhat tolerable till Dalkhola after which it becomes a national hellway till Siliguri. The roads this times are particularly also bad because of the unusual heavy rainfall this monsoon.
I stayed at Malda the Thursday night and I am at Siliguri this Friday night, before I head on to the forests.

Till now the 2.2 has covered 853 km - and this has been through all kind of road surfaces [The smooth Kolkata Durgapur expressway till Panagarh, the intermidiate quality Panagarh-Moregram highway and the worst NH34 with craters wherein a whole maruti car can fit into.]

As expected there are some issues regarding the fit and finish of interiors in the LX but then that is expected though one just can't accept these at a 8 lakh range vehicle.

Now let me come into the most important part - the engine and drive experience.

This is a terrific engine. No issues whatsoever. Engine noise is much reduced and on the 4th and 5th gear one hardly hears it. And till now I do not have any audio player as I did not get time to set that up - I just got the 2.2 the night before the date of leaving, whatever noise I hear are not that above any music. It revs quite nicely and pulls easily - as one gains experience with the gears. The gears slot in easily, no problem with the first gear.

Steering feedback is good and I did not have any problem at high speeds or avoiding potholes at high speeds. Some body roll is inevitable but everything under control - this at speeds of around 80+ and avoiding a series of potholes and driving in a zig zag way.

Braking - I am okay with the stock tubed tyres [that I dont have any money left to go for tubeless is the real reason]. Tyre noise is under control but under heavy or sudden to semi - sudden braking tyre squeal is there. Definitely for an upgrade, one should go for the tyre upgrade first and foremost.

Tubeless tyres and for this vehicle mass ABS should have been there for all models or at least for the EX. EX, not having ABS, for me just becomes a cosmetic upgrade of LX.

The first service is at 1000 km to 1500 km or 1 month and then the next at 15000-15500 or 12 months. Now it looks like I have to service the 2.2 here at Siliguri as otherwise I will be crossing the 1500 km mark by the time I reach Kolkata. This means 1 day I have to take time out from my holiday schedule, I did not expect the 1500 first service mark.

My experience with the 3.0 is just for the 20 km test drive and all I can say is that those who have the 3.0 also have a great vehicle and should not have any regrets if any but those buying new must go in for the 2.2.

http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cusgreyyy1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 22cycusgrey2rl4.jpg
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 23:25   #209
Senior - BHPian

congrats adc on ur new set of wheels. Man i am feeling a little jealous & very happy for you as i have just booked mine today and am not able to wait another 10 days for the delivery.
It sure is an excellent peice of machinery and urs comments make me confident of my decision. Do keep all of us posted and also let us know the FE that u are achiving. I hope that it should be good. How is the airconditioning?
Cant agree more that atleast ABS & EBD should have been standard across all the models but its not a perfect world.
Enjoy you beast and keep us posted whenever u get the time on ur trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well so here it goes.
Now let me come into the most important part - the engine and drive experience.

This is a terrific engine. No issues whatsoever. Engine noise is much reduced and on the 4th and 5th gear one hardly hears it. And till now I do not have any audio player as I did not get time to set that up - I just got the 2.2 the night before the date of leaving, whatever noise I hear are not that above any music. It revs quite nicely and pulls easily - as one gains experience with the gears. The gears slot in easily, no problem with the first gear.
Old 20th October 2007, 02:48   #210
BHPian

Congrats ADC. Great to read your post. We will keep tracking your journey with your Safari and please, keep updating.
As far as comparison between LX & EX goes, lack of ABS though is not justified at all and I agree with you that they should have at least provided it as an option, however, I compiled a list of goodies for the extra money on EX - I found that its worth the price and found it vest value for money.
1. Tubeless tyres,
2. Driver seat height adjustment
3. keyless entry
4. electrically operated fuel lid opener.
5. Rear demister.
6. rear -roof mounted ac
7. fog lamps.
8. electrically adjustable ORVMs.
9. Beiege interiors and cubic printed centre console,n body coloured claddings - I agree may be more cosmetic but all the others given above are surely functional and very handy conveniences and make it good VFM.
Alloys available in 4*4( EX).

Anyway, since, you have already got delivery and nothing can be better than a cusotmer who is happy with his machine - wishing you a very happy, enjoyable n safe journey.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote