Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th October 2007, 07:31   #211
adc
Senior - BHPian

Default Fe 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Do keep all of us posted and also let us know the FE that u are achiving. I hope that it should be good. How is the airconditioning?
As per the service manual it is only on high speed diesel first from the BPCL pump and then at Malda filled it up with Reliance diesel. Though not quite sure of the exact FE, it is around 13-14 for the whole 853 km, i.e, from the showroom till now.

AC is very much okay as of now with 2 adults and child of 2.5 years.

This is the last post as of now, leaving siliguri and internet connection maybe for another 3 days, have to be back to Siliguri in between for the service after it crosses 1000 km. This time the 2.2 will be tested in some high hills and low gear travel [not crossing the 2.5 rpm mark during the run-in period] and one portion real bad roads where the ground clearance will have a major part. Lets see how it goes.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 12:29   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
As per the service manual it is only on high speed diesel first from the BPCL pump and then at Malda filled it up with Reliance diesel. Though not quite sure of the exact FE, it is around 13-14 for the whole 853 km, i.e, from the showroom till now.

AC is very much okay as of now with 2 adults and child of 2.5 years.

This is the last post as of now, leaving siliguri and internet connection maybe for another 3 days, have to be back to Siliguri in between for the service after it crosses 1000 km. This time the 2.2 will be tested in some high hills and low gear travel [not crossing the 2.5 rpm mark during the run-in period] and one portion real bad roads where the ground clearance will have a major part. Lets see how it goes.
This is good man. Getting 13-14 approx in the first 1000 kms I think that pretty good. What do other have to say about this pl give ur comments

Anyway enjoy ur trip and do let us know after the service
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 16:11   #213
BHPian

Default Thank You ADC!

Wow that is great feedback! Now i am really hitting myself cause as I am still holding my booking [2.2 Artic Silver EX] as news from Tatas is not yet confirmed that the issues with the vehicle are resolved. But your feedback is good to hear and your surely lucky to own the beast on your long trip and thank you so much for taking time out and writing this invaluable review. Cheers man enjoy journey .......!
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 19:47   #214
Senior - BHPian

TATA is quoting that since the vehicle has just been launched its too premature to talk about feedback and complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Wow that is great feedback! Now i am really hitting myself cause as I am still holding my booking [2.2 Artic Silver EX] as news from Tatas is not yet confirmed that the issues with the vehicle are resolved.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 20:58   #215
Senior - BHPian

Amazing FE figures-and finally safari(tata) has answered to one of its core criticization.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 00:47   #216
BHPian

Hey ramzsys. I am not sure if it was ever a critisism. I have a 3L and i get 10.5 in city in mostly 2nd, 3rd and at max 4th gear driving. And get 14 kmpl on highway with A/C on.

What say 3L owners. Does anyone of you get less than 13.5 kmpl on highway???
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 02:11   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Hey ramzsys. I am not sure if it was ever a critisism. I have a 3L and i get 10.5 in city in mostly 2nd, 3rd and at max 4th gear driving. And get 14 kmpl on highway with A/C on.

What say 3L owners. Does anyone of you get less than 13.5 kmpl on highway???
nope with light foot(only some time) more than 14 else 13- 13.5 kmpl
overdose14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 13:21   #218
BHPian

Hi ADC,

good to hear the 2.2l beast is doing good and quite responsive as well without any such issues that are discussed in this thread. Wish you happy driving and please keep us updated on your first server @ 1.5K.

BTW, the FE is an amazing figure, need to check my 3.0 as well :-) may be next weekend. I am going to start the LTR thread sometime today.
reachmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 17:16   #219
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

[quote=power ranger;599027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys
I believe that by buying the safari I would be getting full worth every rupee spent.

I am not sure of this statement. Even when I test drove in Bangalore, the dealer was reluctant to allow me to take the vehicle on roads where I could touch 100 or more. I am skeptical about their intentions and the performance of the car.

I think driving safari upto 80 km/hr is not a real good test. You have all the right if you are buying to take a longer test drive and take it beyond 100 and check the perforamance and if the gasket issue is true.

My advise is please be more careful as you are putting your hard earned money.
Not sure what do you mean by this mate. Does getting a car to 100kmph prove its a good car? That way we should evalutate every performance car by TDing it to 200kmph and ensuring we get the promised performance!!!!. Please do not post comments like driving upto 80kmph is not a good test. If you do know, TD'ng a car is not only about 0-100kmph timing, but understanding how comfortable will u be with the car in ur daily life.
Btw, can u TD fuel efficiency in any test drive? So we should not believe 30kmpl claims by Feista and other desils?
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 21:57   #220
Senior - BHPian

@Rajismine: definitely not..

This 13-14 is in during the running-in period, and i believe it will amaze after the engine setting well.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:09   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
however, I compiled a list of goodies for the extra money on EX - I found that its worth the price and found it vest value for money.
1. Tubeless tyres,
2. Driver seat height adjustment
3. keyless entry
4. electrically operated fuel lid opener.
5. Rear demister.
6. rear -roof mounted ac
7. fog lamps.
8. electrically adjustable ORVMs.
9. Beiege interiors and cubic printed centre console,n body coloured claddings -
The price between the LX and Ex is a little above a lakh right? If one was to fit all these as addons in a LX (assming most of these can be added on to a LX seperately), will it amout to more than a lakh?
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:13   #222
Senior - BHPian

Hi xbox360,

See my comments at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...tml#post590325

May help you answer your query! Personally, I don't think the EX 4X2 makes sense apart from the body coloured cladding and the roof mounted AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
The price between the LX and Ex is a little above a lakh right? If one was to fit all these as addons in a LX (assming most of these can be added on to a LX seperately), will it amout to more than a lakh?
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:34   #223

Default Driving the Safari 2.2

Hi

My 2.2 ( Quartz Black LX ) was delivered on the 16th and we left for Goa the next day.
I have been driving the the sierra ( the old one and then the turbo version ~ which was great ) I then had a 2000 model which I sold a month back.

I have driven the 3.0L dicor also.

This one is a pleasure. The power is tremendous. I read in one of these threads that someone preferred the 3.0 L because of a lack of push. In a way he was right. The actual reason is that the power surge to 60-100 is smooth and a breeze. I actually felt that we were at 60 when the speedo was crossing 100. I had effortlessy cruised at 160 passing a bewildered scorpio who was desperately trying to overtake a few times.

The pleasure was ruined by more that 50 % of the roads in terrible condition ~ We really need to ( as users and citizens ) query and sue the government for this. Where is all the money going ?

Back to the 2.2 ! I think it's a great effort ( apart from the fact that I support an Indian company trying to better their product with every release ) The small tweaks like the "follow me home" lights, etc are good value additions.

For a price range like this there is absolutely no comparison with other SUV's costing at least twice as much.

Best wishes and hope you enjoy the ride.

Rajeev Manikoth
rmanikoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:37   #224
Senior - BHPian

Default variable turbo technology is not simple

In the U.S. there has been much trouble with variable turbo technology. It requires computer chips, correct programming of those chips, sensors, solenoids and finally, a good turbo hardware unit. It is not simple. The standard rule in the U.S. is do not buy a radically new engine with radically new technology. Wait a year or 2 and let others test the product for you and wait for the manufacturer to make the fixes. This is my 2 rupees worth of opinion.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:47   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
@Rajismine: definitely not..

This 13-14 is in during the running-in period, and i believe it will amaze after the engine setting well.
Actually I checked the mileage while going to Goa and the vehicle was done only 2500 kms then.

Now the vehicle is way way smooth and silent and i am sure it will give 14 or more now. Safari 3L does give good mileage.

BTW with Concorde motors, both of their 3L and 2.2L test vehicles give the same 10kmpl so absolutely no change on this ground..
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote