Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2007, 09:52   #226
Senior - BHPian

Safari 3L surely stays between 10--12 kmpl in city traffic
and 13--14 kmpl at highways.

though i was able to get 15 once upon a time

but if the 2.2L is already giving 13-14 in ist 1000 kms then i'm sure as the engine settles and 2 services done,it should return 15--16 depending on what adc has reported

and its cool that safari is becoming more fuel efficient
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:02   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
The price between the LX and Ex is a little above a lakh right? If one was to fit all these as addons in a LX (assming most of these can be added on to a LX seperately), will it amout to more than a lakh?
The electrically adjustable RVM's are available on the LX.
The price difference between the LX and EX is approx 1.4 lakhs.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:14   #228
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, for the 3.0l TATA always suggested normal diesel but as per adc, now they suggest hi-speed diesel for the 2.2l.

I guess this is due to the compliance they needed to meet (Euro IV) and so they developed an engine to work with better quality fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
As per the service manual it is only on high speed diesel first from the BPCL pump.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:23   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
IIRC, for the 3.0l TATA always suggested normal diesel but as per adc, now they suggest hi-speed diesel for the 2.2l.
If I am not wrong normal diesel is called High Speed Diesel.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:42   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well so here it goes.

The first service is at 1000 km to 1500 km or 1 month and then the next at 15000-15500 or 12 months. Now it looks like I have to service the 2.2 here at Siliguri as otherwise I will be crossing the 1500 km mark by the time I reach Kolkata. This means 1 day I have to take time out from my holiday schedule, I did not expect the 1500 first service mark.
The 3.0 had its first service at 5000 KMS. Any idea why so early for 2.2 ?
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:55   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
The 3.0 had its first service at 5000 KMS. Any idea why so early for 2.2 ?
3.0 at least initially had a checkup service (no oil change but they have a checklist to complete) at 1,500 too.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:18   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
3.0 at least initially had a checkup service (no oil change but they have a checklist to complete) at 1,500 too.
Hello Steerroid,

is that true? when I checked with Service Advision that I would like to change the engine oil at 1500 KM, he said its not required and it is upto me If I wish to do so. He also told me that first service is at 5000 and not at 1500. please advice.

P:S: I have a 3.0 L Ex which is just 2 days old.

regards
reachmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:51   #233
Senior - BHPian

Its different from the normal diesel and the pricing is also different. Here's the Hi-speed link from bpcl.

Quote:
Considering the need for a premium quality diesel to complement technology enhancements in diesel vehicles, Bharat Petroleum have introduced hi performance diesel with brand name Hi speed Diesel.

Hi speed Diesel is a blend of Diesel and world-class multi-functional additives sourced from Afton Chemicals (formerly M/s Ethyl Asia Pacific Company). This additive uses the internationally renowned GreenBurn Combustion Technology. Multi-functional additive enables the high performance vehicles to deliver their designed outputs by removing harmful deposits from all fuel metering systems and engine components. This will also reduce particle level, black smoke and provide longer engine life .
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobo View Post
If I am not wrong normal diesel is called High Speed Diesel.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:55   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
Hello Steerroid,

is that true? when I checked with Service Advision that I would like to change the engine oil at 1500 KM, he said its not required and it is upto me If I wish to do so. He also told me that first service is at 5000 and not at 1500. please advice.

P:S: I have a 3.0 L Ex which is just 2 days old.

regards
Hey Reachmash. First of all, congrats for your new beast. I would suggest you to change the oil at some 3-4K. this is because the oil does loose its quality fast during the run in period and changing it would help. Anyways they wont change oil at fist service so there wont be any repeat cost. Also ask them to clean the sedimenter and oil filter when you change this oil. It will clear any initial residue...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:59   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its different from the normal diesel and the pricing is also different. Here's the Hi-speed link from bpcl.
My Advice. If you have a Shell Petrol Pump in your ciy, prefer that for you beast. This is my personal experience:

1.) Indian oil: pathetic to the infinity. All the vehicle does is SMOKE. tried 2 Indian Oild depots and result was same

2.) HP: Car smokes a lot over 1500-1800 rpm

3.) Bharat Petroleum: decent enough. good mileage, clean run, however smokes a lot over 1900-2000 rpm

4.) Shell: rides becomes surprisingly smooth, smoke level down by many notches, sudden acceleration not a problem: good pickup with very less smoke

Infact I had taken this advice from somebody in the 3L owners at Team BHP as he was using Shell + System G additive. And you know what? He was absolutely right. My car is way better then it used to be earlier

Last edited by rajismine : 22nd October 2007 at 12:01.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:01   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
Steeroid's Safari is of August 2005 vintage and one of the first few Safaris sold. At that time (which is why Steeroid says "initially"), there was a first service at 1500 km. When I picked up my Safari in January 2007, this was no longer applicable.

The first service for your Safari is at 5000 km and the first oil change is at 10000 km.

Edit: Mods, just realized this may be considered OT. Please take action if necessary.

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 22nd October 2007 at 12:02.
dicorex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:10   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
Steeroid's Safari is of August 2005 vintage and one of the first few Safaris sold. At that time (which is why Steeroid says "initially"), there was a first service at 1500 km. When I picked up my Safari in January 2007, this was no longer applicable.

The first service for your Safari is at 5000 km and the first oil change is at 10000 km.

Edit: Mods, just realized this may be considered OT. Please take action if necessary.
Hey DICOREX4*4. The 1500 kms one was not a service but was rather inspection.

It is very much applicable even now but most of the dealers avoid doing that to save time and effort. I took my car in Oct 06 and though my friends who took the car in jun-jul 06 were not mentioned any inspection, I was mentioned and asked to get the car inspected. And the only reason was that I was close to the GM and Sales Manager here.

It is still a good idea to take an appointment and take your car for inspection at 1500 kms. All they would do it: clean air filter, fix to computer and check of any initial issues, tighten nuts and bolts (rear suspensions generally) and in some cases clean the CatCon
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:13   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
Yes, but as Rajeev also mentioned, the 1500 kms is a kind of PDI (as in POST delivery inspection lol), not a Service - I was asked to bring my car in at that mileage too (purchased in October 06)
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:47   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
the 1500 kms is a kind of PDI (as in POST delivery inspection lol), not a Service - I was asked to bring my car in at that mileage too (purchased in October 06)
I specifically asked about this 1500 km inspection when I took delivery and was told this was a thing of the past. Maybe this has something to do with ASZ/BSZ ??
dicorex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:49   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
My Advice. If you have a Shell Petrol Pump in your ciy, prefer that for you beast. This is my personal experience:

1.) Indian oil: pathetic to the infinity. All the vehicle does is SMOKE. tried 2 Indian Oild depots and result was same

2.) HP: Car smokes a lot over 1500-1800 rpm

3.) Bharat Petroleum: decent enough. good mileage, clean run, however smokes a lot over 1900-2000 rpm

4.) Shell: rides becomes surprisingly smooth, smoke level down by many notches, sudden acceleration not a problem: good pickup with very less smoke

Infact I had taken this advice from somebody in the 3L owners at Team BHP as he was using Shell + System G additive. And you know what? He was absolutely right. My car is way better then it used to be earlier
Generally heard that Shell is good. But, I do not get any smoke with Indian oil X tra Mile diesel on my safari at Bangalore. But one thing I do is always fill from the same pump.
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote