Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2007, 18:47   #241
adc
Senior - BHPian

Default 2.2@1200 km

Had to come back to Siliguri, as the 1000 km mark has crossed - now servicing here at Siliguri. The service people did not seem to know any major changes to that 3.0 - in fact quite suprised that a different grade of engine oil is to used from that of 2.2.

There is no engine oil replacement, the service book had mark in that coloumn which was blanked out by pen [that was a printing mistake in some brochures that was rectified by the pen mark] by and that made me believe that there is engine oil replacement. Just a kind of inspection, nothing more, they just attend to the specific niggles if any.

The last 300 km journey has been high hills - 2, 3rd and rarely 4th. Performance, as till now, flawless, but found that the power delivery in initial couple of seconds had a kind of flat spot in the 2nd gear before the dicor 2.2 pulls up smoothly up the incline.

Tomorrow I get back the 2.2 from the service centre at around 10 am, and back to the hills again. Will update again when back, around Friday night.

Fuel mark low now, have to find a BPCL or Reliance pump for high speed diesel over here before going forward, last filled up at Malda. Looks like for any travel and not being sure of fuel, one has to keep a 20 ltr can as reserve separately either wise will have to gingerly fill up from any outstation pump.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

Dadu,

AFAIK, High Speed Diesel (HSD) is the technical term for normal diesel. Hi Speed Diesel is BPCL's brand name for their additive-included diesel.
So does the 2.2 need the better diesel or (like the 3.0) is it happy with the normal stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its different from the normal diesel and the pricing is also different. Here's the Hi-speed link from bpcl.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:37   #243
BHPian

I was told to use the Diesel with additives when I took delivery.

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dadu,

AFAIK, High Speed Diesel (HSD) is the technical term for normal diesel. Hi Speed Diesel is BPCL's brand name for their additive-included diesel.
So does the 2.2 need the better diesel or (like the 3.0) is it happy with the normal stuff?
turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:57   #244
BHPian

Great going from ADC. This would be a great help for many prospective buyers who were initially afraid of going to the all new engine beast.

Also let us know how is the breaking and do post some more pics, (Back side and interiors)
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:13   #245
BHPian

please put up with this off-topic query of mine . do any of the safari owners here in this forum park your priced possessions outside, on the streets (for reasons of unavailability of parking space)?
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:34   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Had to come back to Siliguri, as the 1000 km mark has crossed
Good going adc. Do you observe any rattling noises in the body or squeaking noises from the seats etc ?
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:04   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post

t
Because the diesel with additives keep the injectors clean and thus the vehicle runs smoother, gives better mileage and smokes lesser. However one may also opt for normal diesel and add 1 ml per liter of System G diesel additive.

If you use additive diesel in city and go for long drives, it may be better to rather keep a bottle of System G in you car as one MAY not get the power/high speed/speed diesel on highways.

I would rather advise to run first 5000 Kms with normal diesel and then start using normal diesel + System G. this will make more sense as initially the injectors are clean and do not need any additive. After some time, a little clogging happens on the injectors and the diesel additives then may help there...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:16   #248
Senior - BHPian

To clear the doubts

Speed Diesel (bpcl branding) = Diesel with additives

Normal Diesel = Diesel without additives

Safari 2.2l needs Diesel with additives as mentioned by turbanman also. You can also use System D with normal diesel for the same benefits.

OT: I used to add Elf petrol additives in my car even before this additive petrol/diesel became popular , since during that time the impurity of petrol used to clog the injectors and causing hiccups to the cars pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dadu,

Last edited by dadu : 23rd October 2007 at 10:22.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:18   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Because the diesel with additives keep the injectors clean and thus the vehicle runs smoother, gives better mileage and smokes lesser. However one may also opt for normal diesel and add 1 ml per liter of System G diesel additive.
Rajeev, just a correction, its System-D and not System-G. G is used for petrol cars. IFTEX- fuel additives

Just to point out here, never ever use System-D in combination with "Diesel with Additives" like Turbojet or HiSpeed, to get more effect :-). It will screw the Fuel Injection Pump

Last edited by rkbharat : 23rd October 2007 at 10:32.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:47   #250
BHPian

Quote:

t
Hey Turby, you took delivery finally huh where are the pics and first hand info? Would like to hear your experience as well and also help me decide B.U. Bhandari or Pandit Auto.

CONGRATS MAN !
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:06   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post

I would rather advise to run first 5000 Kms with normal diesel and then start using normal diesel + System G. this will make more sense as initially the injectors are clean and do not need any additive. After some time, a little clogging happens on the injectors and the diesel additives then may help there...

Hi rajismine
Is there any reason with using normal diesel for the 1st 5K km and then switching to diesel with additives. I would like to know whether there is any harm to the injectors if we use diesel with systemD since the beginning and not wait, as even if there is a slight issue with the quality of the diesel then it might screw up the injectors.
I am asking as I have never kept a diesel car (the new common rail technology) and I read in a newspaper article once that if there is the slightest problem with the quality of the diesel (if used over a period of time) then it really screws the injectors and it was further mentioned that the injectors are really expensive for the newer technology. Please advise

(the above article appeared in the economic times auto section)
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:12   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Rajeev, just a correction, its System-D and not System-G. G is used for petrol cars. IFTEX- fuel additives

Just to point out here, never ever use System-D in combination with "Diesel with Additives" like Turbojet or HiSpeed, to get more effect :-). It will screw the Fuel Injection Pump
Thanks man. Its definitely System D. I was using System G in my Petrol indica earlier
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:48   #253
BHPian

Hi JUDA,

All the details are in my blog. Pics should be up sometime next week.

As far as choosing between the dealers I cannot say. I went with Pandit Auto as their workshop is closer to where I live.

I guess with a TATA car that is of great importance.

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hey Turby, you took delivery finally huh where are the pics and first hand info? Would like to hear your experience as well and also help me decide B.U. Bhandari or Pandit Auto.

CONGRATS MAN !
turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:41   #254
BHPian

I am thinking of booking the EX 4X4. Can you let me know if they offered you any discount or deal on the listed price.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:57   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi JUDA,

As far as choosing between the dealers I cannot say. I went with Pandit Auto as their workshop is closer to where I live.

I guess with a TATA car that is of great importance.

t
Hi
I am regularly following your blog and find it to be really a novel idea.
You have said that you chose the dealer as it is near to your house. Is their normal service quality really that bad as i dont have an authorised workshop of my dealer near my house. The workshop that is near where i live, i had an unpleasent experience with the dealer. Though this dealers workshop and the showroom are quite far from each other but the ownership is the same
What should i do...
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote