Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd October 2007, 14:58   #256
BHPian

The only discount is the free mats and mudflaps

Suggestion: Do not go for 4*4. There are issues with that version as per Concorde here. Wait till 2008 for a proper 4*4 from them
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:06   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
The only discount is the free mats and mudflaps
Yes I wasnt able to get a discount either, booked my LX last week.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:07   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion: Do not go for 4*4. There are issues with that version as per Concorde here. Wait till 2008 for a proper 4*4 from them
Rajeev, please elaborate - what issues with the 4x4?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:28   #259
BHPian

No Harjeev,

I have had no problems with dealership yet. What I said about being close to the workshop was light hearted banter as you see many people complain about TATA's quality and other "mysterious" problems. Mostly IMHO most of it is humbug.

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi
I am regularly following your blog and find it to be really a novel idea.
You have said that you chose the dealer as it is near to your house. Is their normal service quality really that bad as i dont have an authorised workshop of my dealer near my house. The workshop that is near where i live, i had an unpleasent experience with the dealer. Though this dealers workshop and the showroom are quite far from each other but the ownership is the same
What should i do...
turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:02   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Rajeev, please elaborate - what issues with the 4x4?
Hey Suman. I did mention it earlier on some page. There is a problem with the power steering. Though all 4*4s are getting a retrofit of the steering pipe assembly, it still did not feel good when I drove it (After Retrofit) it was like moving a stick in thick cement paste. Even the Concorde guy was not happy with that. Mostly because the assembly retrofitments are done locally and thus you cant expect the same quality as you get in factory fitted thing. And I am sure we dont wanna take a chance with the steering right, you never know what may go wrong.

Another issue though very small i guess is with the Self starter. Donno why is it only with the 4*4s.

Even the Service centre manager who is just back from 2*2 training in Pune is more sure and confident of the 4*2 then the 4*4s. He says "Sir thoda ruk jao for 4*4, magar 4*2 bilkul mast hai! no problems"

I think by the time TATA streamline the things for 4*4s, it will take a month or so atleast. More so because they sell a very few 4*4s and it will take some time to get feedback and fix them.

4*2s however will sell in larger numbers and will get more feedback and quick fix...
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:06   #261
Team-BHP Support

As per my info the Starter motor and Power steering issue is there for most cars irrespective of 2.2 or 4x4
All deliveries are being made after retrofits
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:08   #262
Senior - BHPian

Rajeev, all this doesn't make any sense to me. The only areas where the 4x4 would be different would be the transfer case & the differential.

I'm not sure why the power steering or starter would be different. Sometimes I think the dealers are too busy pushing the high volume items & don't want to devote any time to the lower volume ones. From our side, I think we should be logical & rational & not spread general panic.

First of all, the so-called "blown" gaskets on the VX, now an "apparent" problem with the 4x4 - come on mate . The steering could have been a problem in the vehicle you drove that's all - why single out the 4x4 factor?

Just my opinion - I could be wrong. But I don't see any logic

Last edited by suman : 23rd October 2007 at 16:09.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:21   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Sometimes I think the dealers are too busy pushing the high volume items & don't want to devote any time to the lower volume ones. From our side, I think we should be logical & rational & not spread general panic.
May be slightly OT:

I completely agree. When I purchased my Safari, I indicated very clearly that I wanted a Pearl White EX 4x4. The dealer goes: "Sir, you will have to wait 25 days for delivery. If you want a silver LX 4x2, I can deliver this evening. Why do you want to wait so long?"
dicorex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:25   #264
BHPian

Hi rajismine,

Have just clocked 200 kms on my VX 4X4. 20km of that in 4X4 mode over dirt track (no roads). No issues so far.

Just thought I would let you know. Please filter a lot of stuff dealers say. They have vested interests.

It is the actual cars in the "Real World" that matter.

t

Quote:
Hey Suman. I did mention it earlier on some page. There is a problem with the power steering. Though all 4*4s are getting a retrofit of the steering pipe assembly, it still did not feel good when I drove it (After Retrofit) it was like moving a stick in thick cement paste. Even the Concorde guy was not happy with that. Mostly because the assembly retrofitments are done locally and thus you cant expect the same quality as you get in factory fitted thing. And I am sure we dont wanna take a chance with the steering right, you never know what may go wrong.

Another issue though very small i guess is with the Self starter. Donno why is it only with the 4*4s.

Even the Service centre manager who is just back from 2*2 training in Pune is more sure and confident of the 4*2 then the 4*4s. He says "Sir thoda ruk jao for 4*4, magar 4*2 bilkul mast hai! no problems"

I think by the time TATA streamline the things for 4*4s, it will take a month or so atleast. More so because they sell a very few 4*4s and it will take some time to get feedback and fix them.

4*2s however will sell in larger numbers and will get more feedback and quick fix...
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:27   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its different from the normal diesel and the pricing is also different. Here's the Hi-speed link from bpcl.
dadu, actually both you and djbobo are partly right. Actually BPCL has created a confusion here unwittingly (I think).

djbobo is right when he says that Normal Diesel is known as High Speed Diesel. They categorize it as HSD.

Now, about BPCL, they have branded their premium petrol as Speed and the premium diesel as Hi Speed. Notice that it is Hi and not High.

The Hi Speed is just branding for the BPCL premium diesel just as Power is for HP and Xtra Premium is for IOL. On the other hand any diesel is High Speed Diesel.

adc, I think you are probably a little confused here. Check the manual once again. I think Tatas would have mentioned High Speed Diesel (ie. any diesel) and NOT Hi Speed premium diesel from BPCL.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:38   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Rajeev, all this doesn't make any sense to me. The only areas where the 4x4 would be different would be the transfer case & the differential.

I'm not sure why the power steering or starter would be different. Sometimes I think the dealers are too busy pushing the high volume items & don't want to devote any time to the lower volume ones. From our side, I think we should be logical & rational & not spread general panic.

First of all, the so-called "blown" gaskets on the VX, now an "apparent" problem with the 4x4 - come on mate . The steering could have been a problem in the vehicle you drove that's all - why single out the 4x4 factor?

Just my opinion - I could be wrong. But I don't see any logic
So if you have some contacts, why dont you check this out and confirm for us. As far as I know, you can ask the dealers what will they put their bet on and lets see if they say 4*2 and 4*4 are same. I know the problem could be with the car i drove, but not sure why did it happen with both the two that I drove. Moreover if it can happen with one, it can happen with other as well. The idea is not to spread panic but to caution somebody so that he/she may take a more informed decision, may be do his own check on this and then take something when he is 100% sure..and this is what the forum is about. We cannot call any bad news as spreading panic unless we are a little biased. I am also taking a 2.2 in next 10-15 days and was just telling the things that i am considering before buying this thing as even i am as well a little biased on the positive side towards TATAs..

My idea is not to offend somebody but to stand by my thought process, information and opinion ...And What I told was what the Concorde guys told me...

Last edited by rajismine : 23rd October 2007 at 16:43.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:49   #267
BHPian

Same story here.

When I first went to the dealer he asked why I wanted to buy 4X4 as 4X2 had enough torque. When he realized that my mind was made up he started saying how important it was to have 4x4 in a big and heavy vehicle like the Safari. This change in sales talk took place in a matter of a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
May be slightly OT:

I completely agree. When I purchased my Safari, I indicated very clearly that I wanted a Pearl White EX 4x4. The dealer goes: "Sir, you will have to wait 25 days for delivery. If you want a silver LX 4x2, I can deliver this evening. Why do you want to wait so long?"
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:54   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if you have some contacts, why dont you check this out and confirm for us.
What purpose will it serve?

Quote:
As far as I know, you can ask the dealers what will they put their bet on and lets see if they say 4*2 and 4*4 are same.
That's what I've pointed out - they push the higher selling product always
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:34   #269
BHPian

Default Safari 2.2

Hi,

Just bought a new Safari EX 2.2 and i am loving it as of now....one of the biggest issues is the plastic parts flying off at high speeds....so tata really needs to improve quality...will post a detailed TD soon.....However THe improve in the in cabin noise and the pick up is tremendous........overall a good experience at 700 Kms done..

Last edited by moodswings : 23rd October 2007 at 21:36. Reason: spelling
moodswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings View Post
Just bought a new Safari EX 2.2 and i am loving it as of now....one of the biggest issues is the plastic parts flying off at high speeds....so tata really needs to improve quality...will post a detailed TD soon.....However THe improve in the in cabin noise and the pick up is tremendous........overall a good experience at 700 Kms done..
Very nice. Short and sweet.
Somehow your handle does not inspire confidence; who knows what your mood might swing to tomorrow! LOL.

And congrats on your new acquisition! Envy you.
BTW, to prevent parts from flying off, do look. On another thread Sam is giving away (FREE, mail order) a thingy that will ostensibly prevent other thingys from flying off!
No this is not your 'Uncle Sam', the one pointing his finger at you. This is the real thing - Sam, the one, of Kapasi fame.

Last edited by anupmathur : 23rd October 2007 at 21:45.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote