Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd October 2007, 22:21   #271
BHPian

Default Safari and Innova

I think Safari and Innova cannot be compared. Truely the safari is one of the best looking SUV or UV. But other than looks there isnt much in Safari.
The maintenance cost is too high. Build quality is too bad. And relaibility is a big question. At last it has got the worst resale value.

I think scorpio can be compared as Innova falls in a totally diff category
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:35   #272
BHPian

[quote=rajismine;603308]Because the diesel with additives keep the injectors clean and thus the vehicle runs smoother, gives better mileage and smokes lesser. However one may also opt for normal diesel and add 1 ml per liter of System G diesel additive.

If you use additive diesel in city and go for long drives, it may be better to rather keep a bottle of System G in you car as one MAY not get the power/high speed/speed diesel on highways.

quote]
Where do you get this System D ? Is it cheaper to do it this way than go for diesel with additives ?
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 00:23   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Where do you get this System D ? Is it cheaper to do it this way than go for diesel with additives ?
available at BP outlets. the economies might work out to be the same, but as mentioned earlier, it'll help when blended fuel is not available
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 09:40   #274
BHPian

[quote=power ranger;604326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Because the diesel with additives keep the injectors clean and thus the vehicle runs smoother, gives better mileage and smokes lesser. However one may also opt for normal diesel and add 1 ml per liter of System G diesel additive.

If you use additive diesel in city and go for long drives, it may be better to rather keep a bottle of System G in you car as one MAY not get the power/high speed/speed diesel on highways.

quote]
It costs some Rs 150 for 150 ml or so. Its not a bad deal at all. I mean just 1 rupee per litre is fair enough with teh benefits it gives. TATA service centres generally have a spare parts shop in it. Try those or good accessory shops. you will get it...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 09:42   #275
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
I think Safari and Innova cannot be compared. Truely the safari is one of the best looking SUV or UV. But other than looks there isnt much in Safari.
The maintenance cost is too high. Build quality is too bad. And relaibility is a big question. At last it has got the worst resale value.

I think scorpio can be compared as Innova falls in a totally diff category
Actually I never felt that the maintenance cost is high on Safari especially after Dicor. I never spent anything on maintenance as all was under warranty from TATAs and usual maintenance was extremely low. Yes the maintenance is high in terms of the time and attention it asks from you. You really have to take care of it and the more you do it, the more you fall in love with it. So the investment and cost is more on the time factor and not on the money factor.....at least in my case...
Old 24th October 2007, 10:29   #276
Senior - BHPian

Initially I also got confused with the hi/high Speed diesel term although at the back of my mind I knew high = Normal and hi= additive mixed but posted a clarifying post # 249 without the terminologies used by the companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
dadu, actually both you and djbobo are partly right. Actually BPCL has created a confusion here unwittingly (I think).

djbobo is right when he says that Normal Diesel is known as High Speed Diesel. They categorize it as HSD.

Now, about BPCL, they have branded their premium petrol as Speed and the premium diesel as Hi Speed. Notice that it is Hi and not High.

The Hi Speed is just branding for the BPCL premium diesel just as Power is for HP and Xtra Premium is for IOL. On the other hand any diesel is High Speed Diesel.
I think adc might be right, although he can check again but turbanman was also told to use diesel with additive for the 2.2l (so no hi/high confusion here), see post #244.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
adc, I think you are probably a little confused here. Check the manual once again. I think Tatas would have mentioned High Speed Diesel (ie. any diesel) and NOT Hi Speed premium diesel from BPCL.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 11:10   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Actually I never felt that the maintenance cost is high on Safari especially after Dicor. I never spent anything on maintenance as all was under warranty from TATAs and usual maintenance was extremely low. Yes the maintenance is high in terms of the time and attention it asks from you. You really have to take care of it and the more you do it, the more you fall in love with it. So the investment and cost is more on the time factor and not on the money factor.....at least in my case...
As an owner of DICOR, I too agree with Rajeev here. The maintenance is a nuisance in terms of time. We repeatedly need to go to the workshops to get some niggling issues sorted. It is not a buy it and forget it kind of machine probably like the Innova.
BTW, Rajeev how many KMS have you clocked on your Safari. I have clocked about 8,500 so far in about 6 months.
Old 24th October 2007, 12:53   #278
Team-BHP Support

A regular safari owner earns around 10L-12L a year atleast?
that translates to around 1L/month.
Lets assume 40 hours week it comes to around 625rs/hour.
Lets say everything is under warranty but every year you need to be at the workshop 50 extra hours.
Thats like 31250rs extra every year.
I would not call that low maintenance.

Will the workshop waive of labour charges on a paid job??
then why are you guys waiving off your labor charges?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 14:09   #279

Smile New safari Dicor v 2.2

Guys Finally the new Safari LX was delivered to me yesterday.
Did some city driving.

Im planning to go for a south India trip for few days. I have only the temporary registration. The dealer has not given me the permanent number yet. ( guess there is still the issue as someone has mentioned it earlier - RTOs not registering the new safari).

Will inter state trips with a temporary registration be a problem.

I need to badly checkout the performance on highways and off road.
chatter_gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 14:14   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lets say everything is under warranty but every year you need to be at the workshop 50 extra hours.
Unless you send your driver.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 14:14   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
As an owner of DICOR, I too agree with Rajeev here. The maintenance is a nuisance in terms of time. We repeatedly need to go to the workshops to get some niggling issues sorted. It is not a buy it and forget it kind of machine probably like the Innova.
BTW, Rajeev how many KMS have you clocked on your Safari. I have clocked about 8,500 so far in about 6 months.
I have done 13000Kms yaar. I am not getting to drive it more than 22-25 Kms a day these days as my work is keeping me a bit busy..
Old 24th October 2007, 14:15   #282
BHPian

Quote:

Good Analysis tsk !! Yes we agree with you that our labor charges are very high and you can call it maintenance
Old 24th October 2007, 14:16   #283
BHPian

Quote:

If you calculate like this, you wont even feel like having breakfast, lunch, dinner and even sleep. Imagine 20 mins for breakfast + 40 Mins lunch + 40 Mins dinner + 10 Hours of sleep. We waste 12 hours a day. Imagine the opportunity cost/ loss of time and money eventually
Old 24th October 2007, 14:28   #284

Safari 2.2 Lx was delivered to me yesterday.

Did some city driving - here you hardly drive ( bangalore city ).
Got the autocop stereos and LCDs fixed. The mechanic took a long time around 6 hours and said lots of technology difference between the old and new one os he is confused it seems? I could not make out any!!

Badly need to go on a long trip.

Only the temp registration is done ( It looks the problem with RTOs not registering the new model - mentioned earlier is not resolved yet).

Will it be any issue crossing state borders with a temp registration?.
Will post photos of the trip and comments of the car.
chatter_gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 14:35   #285
BHPian

And... How did we arrive at the magic number of 50hrs a year in the first place?

Quote:

turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote