Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th October 2007, 15:08   #286

Default Another first hand user experience

Hi everyone,

I had someone comment on the New Safari Dicor on my blog. Here are the comments:

"An exemplary good article for a bad car indeed.Lest you might think me destined to be a Safari foe, i must give you my reasons.
I will begin by admitting that I was a die-hard fan and crazily head over heels with the Safari at one point of time. But Tata Motors has not done much to keep my love, except some cosmetic changes and shoe-horning the 407's engine into the beautifully designed car.Even the two-chamber headlamps are gone :(

Today the Safari is a very badly put vehicle with the most tacky plastics and the worst possible fit and finish levels.Just get behind the wheel of a 40000 km old Safari Dicor and it'll feel as if its gone to Iraq during the war and has just come back. Since you have tested all kinds of automobiles from a tractor to a Porsche, i think even a tractor is more sturdy than a Safari's door handles.

For once you are right about the leg room of the Safari but only leg room does not justify its immense shortcomings. The Scorpio, since you have mentioned it is a huge success in comparison.Yes both the Scorpio and the Safari are top- heavy but compared to the Safari's body roll you feel safer in the Mahindra.Drive the Safari around in a busy city and then hop into a Scorpio. You will feel the same as you would while driving say a F-22 compared to the Boeing 747 dimensions of the Safari.

Mahindra had definitely seen the Safari for a long time before making the Scorpio and the results are evident.

And then comes the most important two aspects of a car in India, fuel efficiency and resale value. The Safari fails miserably at both and the sales figures bear strong testimony to the fact. While the Scorpio sells around 3000 units a month, the Safari sells just over 500. Now thats a steep difference when you compare two so-identical cars in the same price range and the same segment.

But i must congratulate you both for the article since its one of the best blogs i have seen. Kudos to you !!
mayankjkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 15:28   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings View Post
Hi,

Just bought a new Safari EX 2.2 and i am loving it as of now....one of the biggest issues is the plastic parts flying off at high speeds....so tata really needs to improve quality...will post a detailed TD soon.....However THe improve in the in cabin noise and the pick up is tremendous........overall a good experience at 700 Kms done..
Hi Moodswings
Congrats for your new beast. What color did you buy please post some pics soon
I did not understand the plastic part flying off at high speeds thing. you mean something inside the car comes off or some of the outside accessories fall at high speeds?
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 16:01   #288
BHPian

Hey Moodswings congrats man on your preciuos posession. take nice care of her and enjoy her rides

Now News Guys i got a call from Streling motors 5 minutes back and the lady was asking about my TD experience. she asked when am i gong to buy it. i am troubling them fro last 4 months . I told I am waiting for the feedback from my friends, then she told next monthe festival season is there so but it, i asked are they offerning discounts, she told may be.
So my guess is there will be discounts on Safari during Diwali season.
Bhpians in other cities please keep us updated on this.
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 16:14   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A regular safari owner earns around 10L-12L a year atleast?
that translates to around 1L/month.
Lets assume 40 hours week it comes to around 625rs/hour.
Lets say everything is under warranty but every year you need to be at the workshop 50 extra hours.
Thats like 31250rs extra every year.
I would not call that low maintenance.
Tanvir

You will start family disputes if you start working out costs for everything similarly.

By my calculations you spend more on writing for TBHP than you would for a "high maintenance" Tata Safari. If you consider the cost of time you use to think up such calcs you're very expensive indeed!

PS: You forgot service tax on the 31250!

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th October 2007 at 16:17.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 16:48   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
So my guess is there will be discounts on Safari during Diwali season.
I also got such statement by the sales guy when I went there to checkout for safari. When told that I'm looking for the best deal possible (I can wait for that) then he quoted that it may be during diwali.
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 18:13   #291
BHPian

Was about to book the silver 2.2 EX 4X4, and i have been told that delivery will take a month as only pearl white is available in 4X4 at the plant now.
If this takes me to Nov end, isn't it better to take delivery in Jan so that i get the year benefit??
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 18:35   #292
Senior - BHPian

Your blog is about the 3.0l safari and the comments for it too.

Here the 2.2l safari, launched on 4th Oct is being discussed, perhaps its time for you to go for another TD and update your blog review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjkumar View Post
Hi everyone,

I had someone comment on the New Safari Dicor on my blog. Here are the comments:

But i must congratulate you both for the article since its one of the best blogs i have seen. Kudos to you !!
I would suggest you to wait if you cant get your desired colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Was about to book the silver 2.2 EX 4X4, and i have been told that delivery will take a month as only pearl white is available in 4X4 at the plant now.
If this takes me to Nov end, isn't it better to take delivery in Jan so that i get the year benefit??

cheers: Congrats on your new ride moodswings, keep us posted through the LTO reports.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 18:50   #293
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea about what is the maximum finance I can get for the 2.2 4x4. TMF is willing to do a 75% finance but I want about 90% finance. I will approach HDFC, ICICI and RCF once I know what is the status of the finance market in metros. I do understand that I cannot expect the same schemes for Shillong but I can try. So I would appreciate if anyone can provide some details on the issue. Nationalised banks also in my mind but only as a last resort (don't ask why)

Last edited by SumitB : 24th October 2007 at 18:51.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 19:16   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Does anyone have an idea about what is the maximum finance I can get for the 2.2 4x4. TMF is willing to do a 75% finance but I want about 90% finance. I will approach HDFC, ICICI and RCF once I know what is the status of the finance market in metros. I do understand that I cannot expect the same schemes for Shillong but I can try. So I would appreciate if anyone can provide some details on the issue. Nationalised banks also in my mind but only as a last resort (don't ask why)
The max finance that the banks do is 90% of the ex showroom price and that too if your ITR is good. Generally 80-85% is acceptable in the metros. However I may not be very sure about your place but in delhi and maybe in the other metros this is the norm. I have managed to get an offer for a 90% loan on my 4X2 EX the on-road price from a nationalised bank but that must be as we have an account with that branch of the bank for the past 30 years so that is an exception. I opted nationalised banks as they have a slightly lower interest and they do not charge any prepayment charges in case of prepayment.
But I remember TMF offering me 85% in delhi of you should manage to get atleast that and also they are offeringa 4.5% discount on the loan amount (this is incase you decide not to get the disc merged with the loan)
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 20:45   #295
adc
Senior - BHPian

Default LX 2.2 @ 1400 km

1400 km crossed and I am at a forest guest house by a small river called Murti - and lo and behold Tata indicom internet connection is available over here.

Again a big flawless performance, through hills and forests. FE at around 13.5. Engine is smooth, noise minimum and power steering and handling quite stunning. I am suprised.

2.2 manual says to fill up high speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN590. Filled up BPCL high speed diesel and engine is smooth, will stick to that from now.

The rollers at the differential make a "clunck" noise when 2.2 goes over a big pothole or like, also they are for something else i.e. their purpose do not seem to be of saving differential as I found them to be somewhat at the backside of the differential and in fact a little above. Also at the sides - around the middle length, there are also another one set of rollers - these are blue in colour. The service people at Siliguri also could not tell what these are for.

The Siliguri service people also said about starter problems for some, which they are retrofitting - however these against certain chasis number, not all dicors.

Anyway till now so far so good - just that the more I noticed the fit and finish - almost all plastics were misaligned. I have stopped seeing the interiors - just enjoying the smoothness of the engine.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 20:47   #296
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Sbi

SBI gives loans at 11.25 % upto 3 years and 11.5% above three years to seven years.it funds upto 85% of the on road price of the vehicleincluding registration.insurance etc etc. processing fee is 0.5 %
rates are 0.25% less for loans above 7.5 lakh
SBI website
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 21:24   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The rollers at the differential make a "clunck" noise when 2.2 goes over a big pothole or like, also they are for something else i.e. their purpose do not seem to be of saving differential as I found them to be somewhat at the backside of the differential and in fact a little above. Also at the sides - around the middle length, there are also another one set of rollers - these are blue in colour. The service people at Siliguri also could not tell what these are for..
From your description of the rollers, it seems like a mass damper, a device used for tuning the NVH of the vehicle. Post a pic if you can.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 23:14   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatter_gi View Post
Safari 2.2 Lx was delivered to me yesterday.

Did some city driving - here you hardly drive ( bangalore city ).
Got the autocop stereos and LCDs fixed. The mechanic took a long time around 6 hours and said lots of technology difference between the old and new one os he is confused it seems? I could not make out any!!

Badly need to go on a long trip.

Only the temp registration is done ( It looks the problem with RTOs not registering the new model - mentioned earlier is not resolved yet).

Will it be any issue crossing state borders with a temp registration?.
Will post photos of the trip and comments of the car.
hey chatter,

congrats on the ride man... what has it finally cost you with all the mods...?

enjoy the car and keep us posted,

cheers.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 10:33   #299
Senior - BHPian

Adc/ turbanman, this clears up things, you dont need to fill the additive mixed diesel, even normal diesel meets IS 1460.

Quote:
The Indian Standard governing the properties of diesel fuels is IS 1460:2005 (5th Rev). Important characteristics are ignition characteristics, handling at low temperature, flash point.

Diesel fuel often contains higher quantities of sulphur. In India , emission standards (equivalent to Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV) have necessitated oil refineries to dramatically reduce the level of sulphur in diesel in view of the auto fuel policy brought in force by Govt of India.
Quote:
MINISTRY OF PETROLEUM AND NATURAL GAS
ORDER
NEW DELHI, THE 5TH JUNE 2000
G.S.R.518(E) – In exercise of the powers conferred by section 3 of the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (Central Act 10 of 1955), the Central Government hereby makes the following order, namely:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement:- This order may be called the Naptha (Acquisition, Sale, Storage and Prevention of use in Automobile) Order, 2000.
a) It extends to the whole of India.
b) It shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
Definitions: In this order, unless the context otherwise requires.
(a) “Automobile” means any vehicle registered with Road Transport Authority by any person-where fuel certified for the use in such automobile is Motor Spirit, High Speed Diesel, Liquefied Petroleum Gas or Compressed Natural Gas.
(b) “Government Oil Company” means-an Oil refining company or oil marketing company which is also a government company as defined in section 617 of companies Act, 1956.
(c) “High Speed Diesel” means any hydrocarbon oil (Excluding mineral colza oil and turpentine substitute), Which meets the requirements of Bureau of Indian Standards specification No.IS-1460 and is suitable for use as fuel in compression ignition engines.
Sources: A B C

Quote:
2.2 manual says to fill up high speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN590. Filled up BPCL high speed diesel and engine is smooth, will stick to that from now.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 10:48   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again a big flawless performance, through hills and forests. FE at around 13.5.
ADC, good to read your reviews, looks like you are enjoying the ownership experience so far - Happy Motoringcheers:

You sure about the mileage? 13.5 kmpl is stupendous to say the least, that too with hill driving? Looks like you could give the Citys & the Balenos a run for their money
suman is offline   Reply With Quote