Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th October 2007, 19:05   #331
BHPian

.....finally U did the dirty and got yourself a TD. Phew!!!

t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Okay the time is coming nearer so called for the 2.2 Demo vehicle.

I will not be comparing it with any other vehicle, will just post what I felt.

Safari 2.2 4x4 VX Demo Car came around 45 min late than the given time with a driver and a salesguy.

Asked them to open all doors, so that me and my master can have a look inside.

My master had a look inside, sat on the front seat & back seat, felt good and comfortable while I tried the rear jump seats and bump, my head hits the back. I am not even 6'. No problem, can be used only for luggage and children.

Dont know if to step directly inside or use the step in the bumper for the foot. There should be handle inside somewhere for the pull.

Got out and went on to try the back seats, the same dilemma to use the side footstep or step inside directly. Anyways the back seat is comfortable and ample legspace.

Salesguy asks " Will you take a test drive sir". Ofcourse I will, thats why I called you here and I jump into the driver seat while my master sits besides me. Salesguy asks for my current vehicle and then starts explaining the features of Safari, I listen quietly trying to find the key, okay I could feel something, something very small and seems like a key, yes, its a key, as small as a scooter key or even smaller, atleast it felt so. Crank it and the engine comes alive. Windows are close so very little noise is heard inside, its Quiet.

Salesguy suggests to adjust the steering, try it but couldnt find much difference in the provided settings. Adjust the seat too for a comfortable position. Gear 1....ROAR and no problem, pickup is smooth like a car not very torquey.

I took it in a mix of heavy and light traffic since most of my driving is in the city and needed to see the ease at which it makes me and my master ride. Heavy traffic, constant stop and start, no problem, a bus suddenly tries to stop infront of us and I try to steer away and then back on , yes the steering is light and responsive, a little more turn I could have been kissing the side of the bus while coming back in line. One more thing, incase of sudden braking, I could feel the body rock, the suspension seems supersoft and could still feel the bumps and breakers, perhaps overexpectation took over me.

Okay lets take it to an empty road now want to try a U-turn and slight speeding and braking. Wait a minute whats this rotational thing which I can feel in the clutch while completely pressed, tell the salesguy, no response. Move on, but why I am feeling a lull inbetween gears changing to higher ones, got it, someone posted about it in T-BHP. Ask the salesguy about when the Turbo kicks in.

Try to take sudden acceleration and then stop no problem except that the rock makes you feel that its top heavy. Now try to make a U-Turn, Salesguy: its 6m sir. I know, but hit the footpath, look back, reverse, cant see much at the back, look at the side mirrors, salesman points out: it has a reverse camera sir, try to look, its too bright outside, cant see....no wait, with a bit of concentration, i can see the road at the back.

Moving on, try to speed up again still feel speeds not good, hold on, master points to speedo touching 80km/hr, couldnt feel it inside. I take the vehicle to heavy traffic, check the power windows, check for power difference between A/C ON and OFF, strange no difference.

Drive around in the traffic come back home, fill up the feedback form, exchanged cards, end of Demo.

Wait, most importantly, master is pleased, will buy but might take time, need to work out somethings with my employer.
turbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:09   #332
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, you finally did it , congrats & nice review

Quote:
check for power difference between A/C ON and OFF, strange no difference.
Yes, one of the USPs of the 3.0L as well, very unlike any car I've experienced where there's always a difference when the AC's switched on initially
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:49   #333
BHPian

@dadu great review and congrats,

check for power difference between A/C ON and OFF, strange no difference.

I agree 100% here, never experienced in any other cars especially Petrols, in my Ford, I can feel the surge in power as soon as the A/C is off :-( what more can I say, welcome to Safari Diesel Club
reachmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:25   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
I agree 100% here, never experienced in any other cars especially Petrols, in my Ford, I can feel the surge in power as soon as the A/C is off
bit OT but I found the same in Ford Fusion TDCI, no power loss with AC on
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:24   #335
BHPian

guys i am confused between LX and EX variants. EX additionally has Tubeless tyres, Roof Mounted AC, Body coloured side cladding, MP3 player, Remote entry, beige colour interiors, height adjustable driver's seat, rear defogger and wiper and i think aluminium running footrest.

LX costs 7.98 on road and EX 9.36 on road in pune. i can get body cladding done for 18k on LX version.

additionally i would spend on new upsize tyres (20k), alloys (20k), music system (30k with amp an subwoofers), remote entry and leather seat covers.

one thing i did not like about EX is beige colour interiors and MP3 player (is very basic)

i am not sure how the AC cooling would be on LX version. please guide me
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:52   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
i am not sure how the AC cooling would be on LX version.

this point even i would like to know... makes sense going in for lx if the cooling is adequate..
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:57   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
this point even i would like to know... makes sense going in for lx if the cooling is adequate..
Is not adequate to cool a St. Bernard. Get the EX, or go for the Innova.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:57   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
guys i am confused between LX and EX variants. EX additionally has Tubeless tyres, Roof Mounted AC, Body coloured side cladding, MP3 player, Remote entry, beige colour interiors, height adjustable driver's seat, rear defogger and wiper and i think aluminium running footrest.

LX costs 7.98 on road and EX 9.36 on road in pune. i can get body cladding done for 18k on LX version.

additionally i would spend on new upsize tyres (20k), alloys (20k), music system (30k with amp an subwoofers), remote entry and leather seat covers.

one thing i did not like about EX is beige colour interiors and MP3 player (is very basic)

i am not sure how the AC cooling would be on LX version. please guide me
I was in your shoes some time back I made a decision to go in for the EX as the 1.31L you pay extra is worth it cause -

whatever the Dealer says about getting the bumpers/cladding painted and stuff he is fleecing you cause that can be done in 10K too and also for 8K depends on what color he uses and believe me he doesn't use the same color they use in the company. Second the beige color interiors gives the Truck an Upmarket feel and it looks good too, may not be very high standard of interiors but it works. Lastly the "adjustable Drivers seat" I am willing to pay that premium for this pleasure believe me it is great cause when you are in city you need a more of an alert position on the seat where as when you are on the Highway cruise you need a more relaxed posture which really helps and believe me it does matter when you have to drive this truck day in and day out.

I think these two things really attracted my attention and hence went for the EX else all others is the same, but factory fit is factory fit rest is just retro.

Cheers mate!
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:21   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Innova? i dont want to buy a taxi will for some time and go for EX
Old 29th October 2007, 14:28   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hey Steer,

Hearing Innova from you sounds like blasphemy.
ShaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:35   #341
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Turby and Suman.

Now coming to the Lx Vs Ex, EX also has an Immobilizer apart from the others things listed, which is not present in lx.

IMO Ex is definitely worth the buy.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 15:00   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Ex is definitely worth the buy.
IMHO, EX 4x4 is worth buying not the 4x2 version.

cos whats the real SUV without 4x4 and without 4x4 safari 3.0L clutch plates/pressure plates go kaput on hills a lot.

i dont have idea abt 2.2 whether it also had hydraulic clutch.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 15:14   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
I was in your shoes some time back I made a decision to go in for the EX as the 1.31L you pay extra is worth it cause -

whatever the Dealer says about getting the bumpers/cladding painted and stuff he is fleecing you cause that can be done in 10K too and also for 8K depends on what color he uses and believe me he doesn't use the same color they use in the company. Second the beige color interiors gives the Truck an Upmarket feel and it looks good too, may not be very high standard of interiors but it works. Lastly the "adjustable Drivers seat" I am willing to pay that premium for this pleasure believe me it is great cause when you are in city you need a more of an alert position on the seat where as when you are on the Highway cruise you need a more relaxed posture which really helps and believe me it does matter when you have to drive this truck day in and day out.

I think these two things really attracted my attention and hence went for the EX else all others is the same, but factory fit is factory fit rest is just retro.

Cheers mate!
Mod Note: Kindly do not keep reposting until your post is approved, it doesn't help. During day time we could be busy, and not be able to approve your posts quickly.

Thanks Juda/Steeroid

yes it looks like EX makes lot of sense than LX. Although beige interiors look up market I still like grey interiors. But somehow beige interiors are big hit in India. Its truly a personal choice or sometimes you flow with the market trend. I have always had black color leather seat covers in my car, but looks like I will have to get beige leather for my new truck since black leather doesn’t go well with beige. We are unfortunate that we can not choose interior trim for our car in India yet. Well Juda I agree with you about factory fitment point.

Driver side adjustable seat is really sensible option. I have driven both LX and EX variants in 3.0 dicor. LX was slightly uncomfortable and the clutch position was found to be odd. On EX I had adjusted the seat and with proper recliner setting it was comfortable. Dealer didn’t try convince me for LX LX perhaps he was telling me benifits of EX. He dint talk about VX since I told him about budget at first place Finally it looks like I will have to gather some more funds to get my truck ASAP. Just waiting to get a better deal for my Ford Ikon Diesel. EX is slightly out my budget right now.

I never thought I would buy a Safari until I went to Leh – Ladhak on my Royal Enfield this august and I saw lots of Safaris roaring through uncharted territory and playing musical chair with Army trucks in Ghats. If watching Safari there was so much fun, how about owning one ?

Last edited by Samurai : 29th October 2007 at 15:29. Reason: Added mod note
Old 29th October 2007, 15:37   #344
Team-BHP Support

throttleking, you want to go to Leh/Ladakh on a frequent basis I guess. then get the EX, because 4x4 is only available in EX.
4x2 can also go to Ladakh, but the 4x4 will take you places of which you have only dreamt of so far.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 15:54   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
throttleking, you want to go to Leh/Ladakh on a frequent basis I guess. then get the EX, because 4x4 is only available in EX.
4x2 can also go to Ladakh, but the 4x4 will take you places of which you have only dreamt of so far.

yes you are right, Leh is the ultimate destination for any car/bike enthusiast, i understand the 4x4 advantage, but in that case my budget will shoot up like anything...lets see if i can get EX 4x4