Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th November 2007, 19:37   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Suman, its 2.2 and supposedly better in-gear, so 5th gear at 60 wont be that much of a problem, relatively speaking. The 3.0 would almost be at idle rpm in 5th gear, dead as a dodo
yes 3.0 idles in 5th and if one is driving it for a long time (like 2-3 months) he can keep it at 50KM/h at idel for a long time without any tension.

i am still doing this when i'm on "geri", no problem so far, though vibrations are little more than idle.
overdose14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 20:02   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Do post your FE figures and what brand of diesel you are using.
I have driven almost 400 KM in 1 week since I have owned the beast and will re-fill the beast on Sunday. I would let you know the FE figures but I doubt that they would really be very accurate as the Delhi traffic is horrible in the Diwali week. Driving is mostly on the 1st & 2nd gear in a start stop type of conditions. But also did a couple of trips to Gurgaon that is 60 KM from my house Up & Down.
I filled up the tank used the auto cut-off and set the trip KMs to zero. I have driven about 400 KMs and the fuel gauge is around the 1/2 level mark.
lets wait for the verdict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Its my third day with my Silver 2.2 EX 4X4. Even in such a short span this experience is rendering me incapable of driving any other vehicle.
the same happened to me. Sat in the Toyota Innova today and it felt like I was sitting wayyy below. No offence to anyone. I have not driven my other cars in the past 1 week since I have owned the beast and no regrets.

1) I have filled up only once and on all future top-ups plan to use premium fuel only. the cost difference is negligible so would use only premium fuel. Read it somewhere that it keeps the injectors clean which I believe are expensive for the new generation diesel engines.
2) Havent locked the spare tyre as yet but more concerned about the ORVM. Have seen alot of Safaris recently ( or maybe I have started noticing the safaris since I bought one) with their ORVM's missing.

Anyone has some idea how much do they cost? The automatic ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
60 kmph is way too low in 5th gear for this beast - it wallows happily in 5th post 80-90 kmph; if you use 5th at lower speeds, you will get that vibration.

Till 1500 kms, you can go up to (but shouldn't exceed) 100 kmph. Gear changing at around 2.5-3k is good.

Have fun mate
Took the beast to about 80-90 today in 5th. Very stable no vibrations. But it felt like a window was open though all were closed. Checked all the doors but nothing. Is this normal. As sometimes I could hear it and sometime I couldn't. So don't know whether it was my imagination or really a noise was there. Any ideas/ suggestions?

Started changing the gears now between 2-2.5K RPM and the performance is great!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 11:08   #423
BHPian

Talking Diwali Brings GOOD FORTUNE !!!!!

Yeppii!!!!

just got of the phone with a sales guy from shaman, regarding delivary of my beast.

My constant pestering has worked, they are specially driving down my car from pune today and hopefully should have it deliverd latest by tuesday post registration.

whew!! it was giving me sleepless nights, with less than 21 days to my wedding and tons of work left, being short of a vehicle is like a nightmare.

Finally the wait seems to be over........ Looking forward to deivary ASAP.

Cheers.....
obaidhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 09:14   #424
Senior - BHPian

Just go this mail from Tata Motors:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for showing interest in New Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT

We are sure you must have had a look and possibly a test drive of the New Safari.

We would request you to share your feedbacks on the newly launched Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT and Our Dealerships interaction with you on fulfilling your test drive request

Thank you again for showing intrest in New Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT

Regards,
Santosh Deshmukh
Utility Vehicles Product Group,

Last edited by rkbharat : 13th November 2007 at 09:16.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 10:15   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Took the beast to about 80-90 today in 5th. Very stable no vibrations. But it felt like a window was open though all were closed. Checked all the doors but nothing. Is this normal.
Wind-shear noise - nothing to get worried about; would happen if there was a cross wind - given the height etc of the truck, the resistance to the wind at high speeds as it blows across is what causes this noise.

I remember Doctorkats mentioning that the wind shear noise was very much present in the 2.2 as well
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 10:46   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
By the way while researching I read on Mouthshut that current 2.2 CRDI engine in Safari is sourced from Fiat...how true is that?
Not true, I would say. The 2.2 is done in collaboration with AVL of Austria (guys who did the Enfield-Thunderbird engine).
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 15:36   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisalmagnet View Post
i got test drive 2.2vti today evening.......pics send soon..i want to buy one....which is best color?
Depends on your choice. Everyone loves 'THE BLACK SAFARI'. Have got loads of compliments for my Mountain Green. Its pretty unique and looks good on the Safari.

Cheers
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 17:49   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Not true, I would say. The 2.2 is done in collaboration with AVL of Austria (guys who did the Enfield-Thunderbird engine).
And who is Scorpio 2.2 engine being sourced from ?
ShaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 19:28   #429
Senior - BHPian

Its not sourcing, its the design/development aspect of it and M&M are also with AVL, Austria for their 2.2l engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
And who is Scorpio 2.2 engine being sourced from ?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 11:59   #430
BHPian

Default Mountain Green Color

djbobo, please post the pictures of your truck.
I went twice to the dealer here to see teh color but it was not available :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobo View Post
Depends on your choice. Everyone loves 'THE BLACK SAFARI'. Have got loads of compliments for my Mountain Green. Its pretty unique and looks good on the Safari.

Cheers
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 12:11   #431
Senior - BHPian

Default how is 2.2 doing

we have almost 11-12 owners of 2.2. whats the latest updates/experiences/issues. Have not read from many except abc and hrajeev.

Please share latest experience and pictures. I am sure there will be lot to talk about the beast in first 2000 Km and more as you drive
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 13:24   #432
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Safari 2.2 VTT --- Detailed Review and Videos on Rediff.com

There has been posted a wondeful article on Rediff.com under the section Business

rediff.com: Driving the Tata Safari

this is a wonderful test drive report which consists of

-- Dirt Track Test by a Rallyist
-- OffRoad
-- Highway and City Driving

the wonderful part is that all 3 categories have the videos uploaded too and they are of great viewing quality.

Also,the text of the slideshow has almost all the features of the beast described well and there are some very gud quality photographs too.

wonderful to see "Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor" getting the mention at Rediff.com

nice tactics by TATA
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 14:31   #433
Team-BHP Support

The end of the dirt track part and rock climbing part is great. I guess this will be the most severe off-roading an owner will get to do!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 14:58   #434
BHPian

Awesome video man and what a quality it has.This is what practly any one will want his truck to do
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 15:25   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Awesome video man and what a quality it has.This is what practly any one will want his truck to do

rightly so, and the guy who did this Off Roading is also a Known Rallyist,so quality is expected.

and i loved that Dirt test,the way beast moved OMG it was so cool.

i watched the whole stuff 4 times man.

and the quality of the videos and the text is really commendable.

Best part is the Honesty of the TD report,though we all have already discussed those points already( T-BHPians are always 1st)

the color of the SUV also looks gr8 and very very shiny,i believe its one of the new colors

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 14th November 2007 at 15:28.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote