Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th December 2007, 08:57   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
- Max done 175kmph in NICE roads. Till 160kmph its fast after that it takes some time to reach 175kmph.

i dont think this is true,please confirm the stats quoted by you.

a stock TD safari and doing 175 is something never heard.

i would love to hear from other 2.2 owners regarding this.

if this is true,then its commendable.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 09:52   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
i dont think this is true,please confirm the stats quoted by you.
I should have taken my camera to prove it ...Actually my plan was to leave my blaze for servicing, while coming back saw the safari 2.2 and took a test drive.

I think those who own safari 2.2 140bhp can throw some light to simply_sunny001.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 13:25   #483
Senior - BHPian

My Safari 2.2 Test Drive

Long overdue, but I finally managed to find half a day to test drive this thing during my recent visit home. I had a longish stint with the vehicle over different road surfaces.

A lot has been written about it, so let me quickly sum up my experience as a 3.0 owner:

1. Refinement is way ahead of the 3.0, no two ways about it. This is on another level altogether. Yes there is engine noise when pushed, but this is not accompanied by vibrations so it doesnt feel so harsh.

2. Clutch feel is much better (read lighter) than my 3.0. The Brake pedals feel much better too - it feels more progressive.

3. Pickup is excellent. It looks like they've gone overboard trying to sort out the 3.0's initial laziness, because this thing whips your head back if you take off like in the 3.0 - I did it the first few times because I arrived for the test in my 3.0. First gear is very notchy and doesnt engage easily.

4. This (3 above) however has its downside - the vehicle seems to run out of breath after that initial flourish - when compared to the 3.0. Compared to other vehicles the drop seems to be normal. However this one seems to be in a hurry until the point when the 3.0 comes into its business end, hence for a 3.0 owner that part is really disappointing. The older truck begins life at 80 kmph, from where it really takes off.

They really shouldnt be loading all the torque so low down - it should be better distributed.

5. Steering is more direct and doesnt have the vagueness of the early 3.0s. The vehicle also feels slightly easier to handle and throw around.

6. This thing deserves better tyres. It cries out for better rubber.

7. The engine is very revv-happy, even if slightly noisy towards the top end. Petrol car owners will feel happier in it than in the 3.0.

Verdict:

1. If you own a 3.0, it doesnt make sense to sell the truck and buy this one. The major differences are the refinement and the terrific pickup, but this is not worth the loss one will incur on the 3.0.

2. For a person that is new to the Safari, the fact that it seems to run out of breath after the initial hustle will not be noticed because this seems to be the case only for 3.0 owners. This vehicle is very easy to drive in city and yes you can participate in traffic light GPs as long as you dont pick on the really fast cars (unless you have some distance to run, because it will still catch up with the faster cars!).

Overall a very good effort, terrific engine and a very nice vehicle and I would've bought it if I didnt have the 3.0.

Pity about the fact that they've persisted with the crappy plastics - the beige makes it look better, but those looks are deceptive as the quality is as bad and the beige will look worse after a bit of wear.

And no I DO NOT like the "radically designed spare wheel cover" with its oddball looks.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th December 2007 at 13:26.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 04:47   #484
BHPian

About time Steer, a test drive by the grand daddy of safari's himself.
hehehe...
My layman comments are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My Safari 2.2 Test Drive

Long overdue, but I finally managed to find half a day to test drive this thing during my recent visit home. I had a longish stint with the vehicle over different road surfaces.

A lot has been written about it, so let me quickly sum up my experience as a 3.0 owner:

1. Refinement is way ahead of the 3.0, no two ways about it. This is on another level altogether. Yes there is engine noise when pushed, but this is not accompanied by vibrations so it doesnt feel so harsh.
Agreed.

2. Clutch feel is much better (read lighter) than my 3.0. The Brake pedals feel much better too - it feels more progressive.
The later 3.0's like mine came with super soft clutch assemblies.Almost decent sedan standards minus the pedal-push distance.

3. Pickup is excellent. It looks like they've gone overboard trying to sort out the 3.0's initial laziness, because this thing whips your head back if you take off like in the 3.0 - I did it the first few times because I arrived for the test in my 3.0. First gear is very notchy and doesnt engage easily.
Apparently this is Tata's universal gear box designed for other vehicles too apart from the 2.2

4. This (3 above) however has its downside - the vehicle seems to run out of breath after that initial flourish - when compared to the 3.0. Compared to other vehicles the drop seems to be normal. However this one seems to be in a hurry until the point when the 3.0 comes into its business end, hence for a 3.0 owner that part is really disappointing. The older truck begins life at 80 kmph, from where it really takes off.

They really shouldnt be loading all the torque so low down - it should be better distributed.
Absolutely.

5. Steering is more direct and doesnt have the vagueness of the early 3.0s. The vehicle also feels slightly easier to handle and throw around.
Almost too dangerously responsive.I'm happier with the 3.0's steering behavoiur.

6. This thing deserves better tyres. It cries out for better rubber.
No two ways about that bro.

7. The engine is very revv-happy, even if slightly noisy towards the top end. Petrol car owners will feel happier in it than in the 3.0.

Verdict:

1. If you own a 3.0, it doesnt make sense to sell the truck and buy this one. The major differences are the refinement and the terrific pickup, but this is not worth the loss one will incur on the 3.0.
See, I told you you're going to say that.

2. For a person that is new to the Safari, the fact that it seems to run out of breath after the initial hustle will not be noticed because this seems to be the case only for 3.0 owners. This vehicle is very easy to drive in city and yes you can participate in traffic light GPs as long as you dont pick on the really fast cars (unless you have some distance to run, because it will still catch up with the faster cars!).
Steer, the braking on the truck wont allow for too many antics on the road.
Overall a very good effort, terrific engine and a very nice vehicle and I would've bought it if I didnt have the 3.0.

Pity about the fact that they've persisted with the crappy plastics - the beige makes it look better, but those looks are deceptive as the quality is as bad and the beige will look worse after a bit of wear.
That's Tata's Coat of Arms .

And no I DO NOT like the "radically designed spare wheel cover" with its oddball looks.
Ditto that.
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 10:35   #485
BHPian

@steeroid and @doctorkats: do your comments on braking refer to the VX with ABS or the standard on the other variants of the 2.2?Actually, I got to know about team-bhp while searching for reviews on the 2.2 on the net. Now Team-bhp is practically my default browser page at both work and homeI have not yet TDed the vehicle. I got to know about the 2.2 while visiting concorde motors to consider upgrading from my m800 to the stile 1.6. Now I am kind of veering towards the idea of keeping my 800 for city use and getting the 2.2 for highway use. In an average month I drive about 2500 kms, of which around 1000kms is on the highways.The thing at the back of my mind, though, is the nightmarish time my dad used to have with the repeated quality issues on the Sierra back in '97-‘98. Invariably the sierra used to see either me or my dad spending at least one day a month in the service centre and a monthly bill of atleast 1500 towards it all. Big money ten years back if you keep at it regularly. But it was of course a fantastically different story when the vehicle was fine and on the roads. I fondly remember the 2 mumbai-chennai-mumbai road trips we did only because of the sierra. Now its a decade later; I am hoping things might have improved considerably with Tata. Especially after reading steeroid’s thread on his 3.0. Nevetheless, it does seem like the safari would require the regular attention that one needs to give an enfield bullet. And I am used to that, and I can also live with the downright crappy interiors.Although my wife loves the looks of the 2.2 (I like to think I have kinda managed to convince her to ignore the interiors), it is still going to be an uphill task getting a buy-in from my entire family if I do decide to go in for the 2.2. Anyways, a slightly longish first post at team-bhp…

Mod's Note: Please give proper breaks between paragraphs. This kind of monolithic flow of words can get tedious to read.
DaiusPitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 11:18   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
@steeroid and @doctorkats: do your comments on braking refer to the VX with ABS or the standard on the other variants of the 2.2?
I test drove an LX 2.2 which did not have ABS.

The LS looks very spartan and empty, though. It is too basic a model.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:53   #487
BHPian

Thank you Steeroid on your views of the New Tata Safari. Some of my comments below: [in-bold]

Quote:
My Safari 2.2 Test Drive

4. This (3 above) however has its downside - the vehicle seems to run out of breath after that initial flourish - when compared to the 3.0. Compared to other vehicles the drop seems to be normal. However this one seems to be in a hurry until the point when the 3.0 comes into its business end, hence for a 3.0 owner that part is really disappointing. The older truck begins life at 80 kmph, from where it really takes off. JUDA: Recently had a chance to take it again on the expressway and this time I did'nt need to hold the beast back so I gave it a push and I landed 180kms/hr mark in a few seconds and was comfortable there. I agree with the initial surge bit however beg to differ with the drop, actually I feel a bigger surge once I kick it into the 3rd at 80kms/hr and then the fourth at 100kms and rest in 5th, I can feel the kick in all those high gears. In all [3rd to 5th] these gears every time you tap the pedal it will respond like a fish.

6. This thing deserves better tyres. It cries out for better rubber. JUDA: You think I should go in for the 255 ? Have been thinking of this since I bought the 2.2 so lets see...Turby has them .....

Verdict:

JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 13:10   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Thank you Steeroid on your views of the New Tata Safari. Some of my comments below: [in-bold]
JUDA: Recently had a chance to take it again on the expressway and this time I did'nt need to hold the beast back so I gave it a push and I landed 180kms/hr mark in a few seconds and was comfortable there. I agree with the initial surge bit however beg to differ with the drop, actually I feel a bigger surge once I kick it into the 3rd at 80kms/hr and then the fourth at 100kms and rest in 5th, I can feel the kick in all those high gears. In all [3rd to 5th] these gears every time you tap the pedal it will respond like a fish.
Juda, rest assured that I wasnt holding back. It was a test vehicle and it was there to be punished, and so it was.

I still feel that the 3.0 is much better through the gears - a feeling that was shared by the dealer's Sales and Service managers, who were both with me in the car as they wanted a comparative feedback from a 3.0 owner too. To quote the Sales Manager "Sir the 3.0 is like a Leyland bus (!!!) - it really comes to its own on the highways where it takes off. This is like a Tata bus which is more comfortable in the city."

The feedback from customers on Mileage has been consistent with the 3.0s figures, too - 10-11 in city and 13-14 on highways. This is not my observation, but that of the dealer representatives on the test ride based on actual feedback from their customers.

OT but the dealer is really looking forward to the new Sumo Grande/Xenon/Phoenix. They had seen Mad Monkey's pics of the Xenon and are excited because Sumo sales have been dipping - funnily enough their new competitor is the Winger as they claim all prospective Sumo sales are going to the Tata CV Dealer (Popular Mega Motors) for the Winger. The current offer on Sumos is Rs.35,000 off as a result.

No discounts for the 2.2 - apparently they cannot find enough to sell.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:40   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still feel that the 3.0 is much better through the gears
Steer,

Well written review...

The gearbox on both the vehicles is same with one major difference being the ratio of first gear which apparently is more than that of 3.0
Rest all gear ratios are same.

Now since the power is more and so is torque tata should be revised the gearing ratios completely to make the torque spread much much better. It would definetly make a worlds difference

Coming back to 3.0 the gear ratios it seems are well matched (for highway driving) for the bhp & torque

Cheers
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 14:30   #490
BHPian

Sirs..If I could add, the first gear is a mile away....do not know how it was in the 3.0???
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 16:59   #491
Team-BHP Support

I agree about the first gear bit. I drive an indica, so any gearshift feels amazing, but my wife who has been spoilt by the santro said that if the first gear was not vague and hard, this would have been the perfect vehicle. This coming from someone who hates driving big cars is something
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 21:53   #492
BHPian

Quote:
My Safari 2.2 Test Drive
Seen a (white) 2.2 recently with the gray portion of spare wheel cover painted in body colour, with only the T-logo and its inners in black. Looked good. Just an FYI to the 2.2 owners.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 09:42   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OT but the dealer is really looking forward to the new Sumo Grande/Xenon/Phoenix. They had seen Mad Monkey's pics of the Xenon and are excited because Sumo sales have been dipping - funnily enough their new competitor is the Winger as they claim all prospective Sumo sales are going to the Tata CV Dealer (Popular Mega Motors) for the Winger. The current offer on Sumos is Rs.35,000 off as a result.
ran a search and checked out the pictures. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pictures.html
the question is - will this xenon compete against the safari or sumo?
IMHO - the indian customer is still not ready for a cab/truck. The image associated with a truck is doodwalla- safari on the other hand will still be hugely popular since it still commands road respect.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 09:39   #494
BHPian

Boyz...i have just booked a Cycus Grey LX model. The dealer is getting me a vehicle which is 2008 marked. Just for my curiousity, would there be any differences in the new 2008 model manufacturing, meaning, would there be any learnings at all incorporated??

Thanks!!
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 13:40   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Boyz...i have just booked a Cycus Grey LX model. The dealer is getting me a vehicle which is 2008 marked. Just for my curiousity, would there be any differences in the new 2008 model manufacturing, meaning, would there be any learnings at all incorporated??
Thanks!!
Well, congrats for your new vehicle.
No, I don't think you should expect 'any learnings' to have been incorporated.
You will, of course, get a better 're-sale' value when you decide to sell it.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote