Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th December 2007, 21:06   #496
BANNED

Default Ladder

Hey guys do u all think getting the ladder fixed of Ford Endeavour on to Tata Safari look good, just guess how it looks
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 16:40   #497
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I agree about the first gear bit. I drive an indica, so any gearshift feels amazing, but my wife who has been spoilt by the santro said that if the first gear was not vague and hard, this would have been the perfect vehicle. This coming from someone who hates driving big cars is something
Yep, you are spot on.

I just got a big NO from my parents and wife for a safari. my wife told me she wont sit in the "car" if i brought it.

Took them to couple of TD's and they didnt like the vehicle.

Cons being -
1. Gearshift is completely vague. Had to try multiple times to engage reverse and 1st gears
2. interior plastic appears to be really cheap
3. Ac was very noisy

We had already taken a TD of innova as well, so comparison kicked in and safari got kicked out :(
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 19:05   #498
BHPian

LLL, with the SAFARI you have to bypass the normal trend of buying a car. The desire of owning one has to overcome all the apprehensions on fit/finish and niggles.
Trust me by its sheer road presence and envious looks of other drivers you will be more than compensated for its short comings.
I genuinely feel that this desire has to build up within you and you will be automatically blind to any imperfections in the Safari. Heart has to rule over the mind.
I guess its more like falling in love.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 22:06   #499
BHPian

lll, one good point for you to convince your better half.. how many safari taxis have you come across, i haven't yet.. and you can really stress upon this taxi driver image of yours, though it's for your own cause you are fighting right, so donning and acting the taxi driver if that gets you the permission to bring home the safari would be well worth the effort i presume.. :-)

regarding plastic quality, i'd say plastic mouldings do not make a vehicle.. plastic engine, plastic suspension, plastic everything.. that would have made sense actually.

gear throw is long and at time mushy, that's agreed, but again everything has a price to it right? i am pretty sure you wouldn't mind these small nuances once you are parked in the seat and ready to go.. small niggles are part of life, a perfect life would be so boring in the long term.. and there are ways to counter these niggles, one just has to learn, next time try shifting to 2 first and then to 1 if it is too much of a problem slotting 1. and the safari would start off in 2 as well, though not to be done on your own vehicle, just to prove the torque to the significant others and gain their approval..

my words, forgive me if anything has gone wrong, trying to help you gain the safari buddy!
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 22:36   #500
BHPian

LLL i can understand that buying a car involves the complete approval from Family.
Innova is definitely a cool car and family will love it in long run.

But then on a lighter side, a friend of mine who owns a Safari warned me that if i go for the Innova then he would stop talking to me....

In hyd Taxi = innova,indica,logan (period)
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 08:19   #501
LLL
BHPian

Chaxy, Aburagohain, DDDhruv

thanks for your suggestion guys. Am trying to get my family to agree to 1 more TD of safari from a different dealer. Hopefully this will turn out to be a better maintained and a smoother demo car, resulting in a better TD experience.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 08:45   #502
Senior - BHPian

As a Safari owner, when I am asked whether one should buy a Safari, the first statement I usually make is "If you buy a Tata vehicle, one should be a little forgiving".
If one buys a Tata vehicle with slightly lower expectations, the ownership experience is a whole lot better.
Now THAT is my point of view, so no flak.

Last edited by jyobeb : 30th March 2008 at 08:47.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 10:07   #503
Senior - BHPian

Mr LLL, I agree with you that Safari interior plastics may not be as good as Innova's. Agreed, it's gear changes may be a little mushy. But believe me you can't get everything in life. No matter how much money you spend , it's always a trade-off. Looks over performance. Cost over brand name. etc. etc. If you buy a 4 crore Rolls or Bentley, you may find one or two sore points even there. Trust me. Nothing is perfect in lthis world. No car, no person, no place. We win some we lose some. It's always a trade-off. That is where you have to decide what you want at all costs and what you can bring yourself to ignore.

Chaxy, Aburagohain, DDDhruv and jyobeb are right. It's safari all the way for me, too. Innova may be better as far as plastics or gear changes are concerned but you will feel like you are driving a 7/8 seater van. To me Innova looks so YUCKish. Sorry about all the Gyan though.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 15:50   #504
BHPian

All the best LLL on your final attempt.... Anyway pls dont get disturbed with all this gyan....
Quite similarly, i can never convince my family to buy a black car... No way they are going to agree.
Bottom line - Family always comes first !
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 20:43   #505
BHPian

Hi,
I would like to fix POLYCORBONATE HOOD DEFLECTOR In my safari.I would like to see some pictures of it if some one has fixed it.I checked with the TATA Dealer,But there was no proper response from them.Can someone suggest me where I can find the same in BANGALORE.If It looks good,I wanna fix them.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 13:55   #506
BHPian

what is a hood deflector & what does it do pls?
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 14:17   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
what is a hood deflector & what does it do pls?
basically it is fixed on the bonet(front above the grill) at the front just like visor fixed on the window.When going on speed,the insects and small particles hit the bonet and resulting in dots/small scratches/damages,these are avoided and it is also a beautification product.I have seen them on one LAND ROVER once.It looks gr8.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:30   #508
BHPian

Its some thing like this as in the picture
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2008, 14:36   #509
BHPian

bgl, if you had posted it one day earlier i'd have gotten you a pic of the same.. just yesterday saw a 3l black safari with this fitment, along with two chrome mirrors mounted on both sides of the bonnet it was not looking bad at all. the vehicle was black and have to say it was looking far more intimidating, compared to my black standing next to it that is, i had parked next to it to find the difference in looks only.. :-) so from my viewpoint, not bad to have that one if the said functionality does work like you posted.
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 14:39   #510
Senior - BHPian

Hey Bglsrini

you can go ahead with the Hood Reflector Thing as i have seen it on a Friend's Safari and looked good.

but unfortunately i have no pics of the same.

this guy has a black safari with cladding painted in silver,fat rubber and nice alloys and jet black tints with a Hood Reflector and overall the beast looked wicked.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote