Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th April 2004, 07:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

hehe
guys here''s what u could do!
get a second hand one for cheap , sell the engine
buy shantanu's vtec engine,install it
give the car a new paint job,
voila u have the hottest car in town
with all the tbhpians lusting after it!!!

honestly dont know the build quality now,
but drove one a year back, it was good, no rattles , ok performances, but good looks, there are say abt 10 to 12 in hyd, all sold in a years time!!!
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 07:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

is the dashboard completly in leather??
wow!
hey did the bonnet flex when gto sat on it???
coz isnt the body made of fibre?
Old 15th April 2004, 11:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Aadix after driving that thing we wanted to get away from it as soon as possible. I and GTO actually didnt awnt anyone to see us in it

Cheers
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 12:08   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, the San Storm sucks big time. My cousin who is now in Dubai had applied in San Motors for the job of a technician around 4 years ago. And u wont believe the company sucks too. The day he went for an interview , there was a strike in the company. He anyhow managed to enter inside. He was made to wait for sometime in a shed [ya u read right.....SHED]and then was called to the office for an interview. The office too was a SHED. There was just 3 chairs and a table. And other than that there was a HUGE assembly line. I mean the San Storms body was kept on wooden planks ready to be fitted. Anyways he was selected and just loitered there the whole day. Went back home in the evening never to return to San Motors. The complete car is handmade. Thats why the quality is so bad. And 6 lakhs for that piece of crap. EEEKS no way.

And 86 sold in Bombay. I guess they must have given them free of cost. I have only seen 3 Sans in Bombay.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

V12 I'm sure the guy gave us crap on the 87 cars . Apart from these 2 test cars the only other one is a red one I've seen with that Ferrari sticker on it
Old 15th April 2004, 13:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys peaking of Indias first convertible does anyone remember that Quantum Sports Car with a 1.8 litre engine shown at the 96 Mumbai Auto Show. I really dont know what happened to that

Cheers
Old 15th April 2004, 13:19   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Quantum was kept on display at Top Cool Cars opp Khira Nagar, Santacruz. They had a wierd scheme that if u book 9 Quantum's, the booking for the 10th wud be free. I wudnt book even one. That car too had a fibre body. I doubt if they sold even 1 car.
The car was supposed to be imported by Overseas Concepts Auto Limited [OCAL].
[img]http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/pics/22picmain.jpg[/imgQuantum
2+2

Also there was another convertible which was gonna be launched in India. The De La Chapelle Roadster. Anyone heard of it???

De La Chapelle Roadster.

Last edited by Dippy : 5th March 2005 at 14:33.
Old 15th April 2004, 13:45   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dippy, Firstly amazing camera that you have there. I never expected such details as the lousy paint drops to show up in the pictures. And yes, thats me revving the car to the 5000 rpm redline!!!

I had a talk with Revvmaster last nite, and after hearing my opinion on the car he asked me what I would choose between an Indica and the San Storm. My answer? The Indica. Next was between the Ambassador and the San Storm. Guesses? The Ambassador. If there is a worthy contender to the title of the worst car in India, team-bhpians....the San Storm is it!

This car is just so horribly put together that its falling apart before you even drive it out of the showroom. When me and dippy saw the examples, we inquired if these were pre-production prototypes as I didnt think anyone would have the guts to sell a vehicle with such sub-standard quality levels in India in 2004. He replied " No sir, these are fresh production pieces"!!

The body is made out of bath-tub fiber-glass...or atleast seemed so. The holes drilled in to accomodate the dicky locks are not even perfect circles!! The interior quality is so shabby that I would rather sit in a Premier Padmini cab than a San Storm the next time around. Panel gaps were totally uneven all around the car. The soft-top seems like it has been cut from patches of a 10 year old umbrella no less. The quality of the 35,000 leather upholstery is there for all to see in photograph no.2, and it seems to be done more at a backlane road-side tailor than at a carmakers factory.

The San Storm, apparently Indias first "sporty" car is so under-powered that an Mpfi 800 would leave it for dead...to the 60, to the 100 or in-gear acceleration. The Zen is in a totally different league by itself. Entering the seaface on the racing line at full rpm, I was scared coz the cars feedback is next to nil, and the handling is rubbery at best. The shift quality is the worst I have ever seen in any indian car, and car guys like me and dippy were constantly mis-shifting. Dippy infact revved the car to its redline in 3rd gear, and mistakenly put it in 2nd...oh boy you should have heard the engine then!

The 1.2 liter Renault engine pumps out a measly 58.5 bhp, and REFUSES to revv above 4000 rpm. Mr. Renault 1.2 engine, are you a diesel? Its only after a lot of coaxing that it climbs further on to its 5000 rpm redline. The word "lethargic" in the dictionary should have thewords "San Storm" as its explanation. To make things even worse, it is just so unrefined that you can feel vibrations and grinds on your feet all through the rpm range....even in idling!!

Think about it, if a car is so poorly built that a brand new example has squeaks and rattles all around it, what will it be like after two years on Bombay roads? Its going to draw the crowds sure...but those crowds will be assisting you in picking up body and suspension pieces from the road after they fall off

I am just darned shocked that someone has the B**** to sell such a horribly put together car in India, at a price of 6.27 lacs! Gosh, just buy an Ikon 1.6 instead...or better still get a used City 1.5 and pump in all the mods that gods earth has come up with in the Honda customization markets. If a san storm owner were to sell this car after 2 years, I seriously doubt he would even get Rupees 1 Lakh back.

After experiencing the San Storm, I saw a Tata Indica...and the Tata felt as well-built as a Mercedes S - Class...No exaggerations.

The San Storm - An absolute shame on Indian roads.

GTO

P.S. - Another car to sport the "Ripped by team-bhp sticker!!"
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 13:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO i doubt we could use that sticker but sadly we have to use another sticker

"Tried to be ripped by team bhp but sadly couldnt"
Old 15th April 2004, 14:07   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

35000 for the leather interiors
They dont fit properly on the seat and the door pads. Also look at the rubber beading over the windshield pillar. Its so uneven. There is a problem with the boot. My cousin told me that thats a standard problem. I guess there were problems with the dyes. At the "plant" [or shed] these guys used to bang the boot to put it in proper shape.

Also look at the side indicators of the zen. They are not fitted properly. Theyre crooked. And am i seeing things. Why is the center console facing the passenger instead of the driver [last pic].

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Is the sales guys sitting in the backseat and crying
I guess he's tryin to hide his face from the pblic.
Old 15th April 2004, 14:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ April 15 2004,15:33)]get a second hand one for cheap , sell the engine
buy shantanu's vtec engine,install it
Please tell me you were joking!!!!

I'm not against creativity but you know, everything has it's limits.

But you know what, i'd love to see a San with a Vtec engine provided it isn't mine.

Like they say in Japanese, "Konnichiwa......VTEC - San"

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 15:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

hey fellas,

one word from me - pathetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
to think he actually told us he sold 87 cars in Mumbai
87 - !!!!!!! i doubt they must ve manufactured 87 cars yet forget selling !!!

6 lacs !!!!!! !@#$%^& i wudnt take it for free

seriously if they are planning to sell a car with those kinda flaws ...they better keep the lock and key ready maan !!

cheers

ps- awesome cam u have there dippy
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 19:23   #28
BHPian

dippy ure cam is 2 2 sexy
hondaman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 19:44   #29
BHPian

i think i can also produce some cars............ it seems so easy looking at it. * *and can bost that iam owner of a car company .................
ravi_28_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 21:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey shantanu i said that coz u were planning to put a normal 1.5 in ur car right???