Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd August 2009, 16:03   #136

Default Cedia changed the way I looked at the Cars !!

Having used M 800, Fiat / Padmini, Accent Glx, Alto, when I wanted to change Accent, I was very much confused between many other cars of those claimed to belong to B, C, D etc, segments. Ultimately, I had finalised on Lancer Petrol, then available in only one version each in Petrol and Diesel. Somehow, I was persuaded by my friends that the Lancer had gone too old on Indian Roads without any material improvements.

And suddenly, I finalised on the Cedia Select with Lpg.

That really made me realise that I bought really a good car, not only that but it is the one level above in respect of all parameters on all other cars costlier by 3 - 4 L +.

I own Cedia Select since March 2008. I have driven it for about 29 + thousands Kms.
chawrevakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:25   #137
Senior - BHPian

Yes Buddy, Thats one car stands apart as original international car, among all the Indianized "mileage-maniac" cars....
RajaTaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:19   #138
BHPian

Default Cedia rear seats

RajaTaurus,

Sorry for using your thread to ask a general question.

A question to all Cedia owners - has anyone tried modifying the rear seat to make it more comfortable? Perhaps more thigh support, back support. I find the US lancers have a better rear seat with head rests, et al.

I know. I know. The driver's seat is the best seat in the Cedia. But this one is to please the rest of the family.

Last edited by CBlazer : 3rd August 2009 at 11:21.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

No Problem mate. But, my family, they never complain about the quality of the back seat, so have no hands-on opinion about that. On longdrives, we use turkey towels and side little pillows for comfort.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
No Problem mate. But, my family, they never complain about the quality of the back seat, so have no hands-on opinion about that. On longdrives, we use turkey towels and side little pillows for comfort.
Completely agree and we also do the same. In case of pretty long drives and the back-seat guys are intending to doze off, put the pillow in the window corner and go zzzzz.. ofcourse with seatbelts on.
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 19:05   #141
Senior - BHPian

The problem is, if they dismantle the backseat assembly completely, they will never be able to restore to that factory fitting and you may start getting rattling sooner or later. Its advisable, particularly on this machine, not to touch anything, unless you NEED to...
Old 1st October 2010, 18:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Default 3 Years and 20K Update

Well, it's been long time since I put up any update on my Cedia Spirit, as nothing really changed. I have done 20K in 3 years with next to best service from ACT - turned - Maya Motors, in Chennai.
In June, I did a Chennai - Ooty - Chennai without any niggles at all.
Last week I got done a 40K or 3 Year service from Maya Motors.

Parts changed:
- Oil Filter
- Air Filter Element
- Engine Oil
- Brake Fluid
- Spark Plugs

The mechanic said it is due for engine de-carbonization and tuning, as it is 3 years old and I said 'Do it'.
And now the engine is smooth as butter and the noise has considerably reduced, though it was much noisy even before . It sounds as good as it was when I was at 1,000 km.s

Total Cost for all the above?
Parts & Consumables = 4414.00
Labour = 1,948.00
Taxes = 752.00
Total = 7,114.00

Car was picked up from my office and delivered next day afternoon.
To top it all, when the car came to be delivered, the Remote-cum-key plastic cover was half broken and when I tried it the plastic cap gave way.
Next day I called up Maya motors and guess what? They sent a mechanic with a new plastic cover for the key, in his service car within 2 hours, replaced the cover and gone, free of cost. (Also I learnt that the second key they have needs programming to be done at Maya motors to enable the key's remote).
That's what I call as personal service, after 3 years of ownership.
And not only that, Maya Motors offered me 2 free tickets for First day show at Mayajaal, for the Film, Enthiran.! I gave it away to the same mechanics who attended my dear baby so meticulously. This is the customer care I like.

Last 2 days, I see great reduction in engine noise and car's pick up is rather smooth. I didn't realize it until I got the de-carbonization done, but I am glad I did it.
Another 3 years to Go Baby.

Here is a picture of my baby with LTD sticker:
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...-img00484.jpg  

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 1st October 2010 at 18:53.
RajaTaurus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...

OK, Here is me on TV, Bragging about Cedia.

Go to Minute 4:22 and watch Sirish Chandran (Overdrive), Rahul Kanthraj and me!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 2nd July 2011 at 12:11.
RajaTaurus is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 13:00   #144
Senior - BHPian

Default 30K Report

After reading Mandheer's 15K report and learning about the teething problems, I thought I would put up my 30K report.
Where to start?
Engine - I always service every 6 months, minimum of engine oil change and filter change, regardless of kilometers and sure I found the engine getting smoother and quieter everytime. No complaints.
Suspensions - Well, I see Mandheer's problem and I used to have the same. Every bump, the rear wheels with its suspensions just free-fall as if there are no connections. Then I learnt to have the correct speed to go over a bump or a pothole. Either I have to be too slow or I have to be faster than normal. I have now practiced to select between these two choices and when I am fast, and accelerating while riding over the bump or pothole, the suspensions take care of the rest and I feel a firm response from the car. And I make sure after every long drive, I send the car to Service center and have all suspensions 'checked' and 'lubricated'. - Happy.
Tyres - Here is where I am most happy with the Potenzas. During my recent drive to Tirunelveli and back, I was on the freeway at around 100 kmph and the monsoon rains were lashing on the car mercilessly and the tyres held the grip so tight to the tarmac, I was absolutely enjoying the drive. I could go past almost every other car on the road, be it a Audi or an Octavia, with so much ease. I was reading the reports of Michelins and A drives, but after my last drive, I decided that I will stick to same Bridgestones, though sure the ride is rough. Performance is awesome. I too, do not see the need to up-size. Most Satisfied
Braking - This was the most impressive thing in this car when I bought it. And even now I still have the same braking confidence as I used to have when the car was new. Of course, the disks have worn out and the service guy warns that skimming is needed within next few thousand kilometers as he sees some scoring. Yet, I never had problems in braking. Most Impressed
Rattling - Again, I make sure the mechanics take a ride and check everything that is loose and rectify. They have now become used to do it, as I insisted on doing this every service.
Painting - This one I am 100% with Mandheers. The paint quality is superb and after 4 years and 4 months, she is still gleaming with same glitter as she was as new. Check this out. Most Impressed
Mileage - During my 660 km stretch drive, I pushed the car all the way with full tank, with barely little petrol left in the tank before refilled. That works out to about 660/50= 13.2. Of course, this is with partly aggressive driving pushing her to 160 kpmh wherever I got empty freeway. And the car was just buttering on the road at that kind of speed. Within city, my daily office routine is 10 km two way and she returns somewhere near 8.8 to 9.2 kmpl. It includes the snarl everyday I go through due to Chennai's metro construction. - Satisfied

Finally I must say about something which does not get real coverage (!) here.
The Bumpers - Absolute gift in our kind of traffic. As you may be aware, Chennai's 70% of the vehicles on road are 2 wheelers and I get hit real hard from the rear almost every week by wreckless riders! Few times the bumper had kind of caved in letting the front wheel of a motor cycle for about 5-6 inches, yet, the re-bounce was back to normal. Even once a Wagon-R rear-ended due to late braking and got his bumper on the floor, while mine was just smiling back at him. The rear bumper made of rubberize plastic and the fitment is so good, it absorbs and dissipates the hits so well without any permanent damage.

Here I leave you with a picture of the car, standing near the Mukkombu dam near Trichy.
Attachment 883401
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...-img00099201201151035.jpg  

RajaTaurus is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 17:40   #145

Raja, co Owners of cedia
I complete 4 years of driving cedia on the 14-feb-12 and it has been a great experience all along!!
thanks to all of you who provided feedback earlier and helped me with the decision which i don't regret, though the dealer whom i bought it from has switched to Ford motors (Lathangi in Bannerghatta road-Bangalore).
Three (oops Four) cheers to Cedia!
ravijag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 16:12   #146
BHPian

Any more Cedia owners now and then...

Mitsubishi Cedia Petrol Top End Model For Rs. 7.99 Lakhs Only
vijayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 13:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

^^ The pity was when I called Maya Motors in Chennai, they say this "offer" is on since January 2012. What kind of morons they are, even now very little know about it.
Old 5th March 2012, 13:12   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus
^^ The pity was when I called Maya Motors in Chennai, they say this "offer" is on since January 2012. What kind of morons they are, even now very little know about it.
Ha ha. HM needs to just spend some money on marketing ( given Cedia is VFM now). How will world know that there is a car named Cedia and now it is available at much reduced price. Are they expecting people to figure out themselves. : Frustrati
avimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 16:03   #149
Senior - BHPian

(May be this should go into long term ownership thread, but I thought of reviving my own thread. Mods, please advise if otherwise)
Updating after long years.! Lost count.
Brief Points here:
Odo: 79000 kms
Maintenance works done so far in past 7+years:
Tyres change - 35K (Bridgestone MY01 - not satisfied) and 62K kms (Bridgestone MY02 - Satisfied very).
Brake pads Front 45K and Rear at 62K.
Rotor Skimming - 45K Front only.
Having said all that, couple of weeks ago I took my Cedia to ARAS PVPV Madurai, who took dealership of Mitsubishi about 10 months ago. I had made a recon in November and shown my car to them. I had planned refurbishment of front suspension due to heavy to extra heavy rattling and vibration from front.

28-29 Dec 2015.
Work done - Replaced Front Shocks, Steering Tie Rods and end assembly ball joints. Well Shocks were completely dead and ball joints were half broken. I being mech Engineer, was on continuous monitoring and knew exactly the condition of those ball joints during driving.
All rotors (discs) skimmed for second time. Excessive wobbling during braking from above 6070 kmph speed.
Fitted with Cabin Air Filter. (the same from Pajero Sport). Reason- Rats had broken into through the IN-OUT vent door and wrekced the blower and AC cables. Now I sealed the IN-OUT Vent permanently. And fitted the cabin filter as well.
Now about the costs: (INR)
Front Shock Absorber Strut 2 x 12756 = 25512
Steering Tie Rod 2 x 4811 = 9622
End Assembly Ball Joints 2 x 1985 = 3970
Stabilizer Bush 2 x 303 = 606
---------------------
Sub Total 39710
----------------------
Cabin Air Filter 1 x 3903 = 3903

Rotor skimming charges = 2000
Labor Charges totalled to = 5000
----------------
Total Bill 50613
--------------

Also treated myself with a K&N 33-2105 Air Filter.
Cost - 9000 Couriered to my home

Now the car has been restored to more pleasant driving condition.
With regard to K&N filter, my honest experience is, the car breathes easier, pulls easier under the same driving conditions. In some slopes, it struggled to move from stop in 2nd gear, whereas it moves effortlessly. Acceleration and smoothness in second and third gears is obviously visible to me. Overall I said to myself "Yessss...Yesss."
Everything else in the car is still in fine condition. Rear Shocks are at its half life, but, I postponed replacement as I mostly drive light, with me alone most of the times or My wife with me. So, not much load on rear shocks. May be next year I would go for replacement.

After 8 years updating, just because Cedia is fairly maintenance free car, I think.
However, every 6 months oil service and every 1 year service at Maya Motors were being done religiously, no compromise on that.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 14th January 2016 at 16:07.
RajaTaurus is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 20:07   #150
Senior - BHPian

Default Fast and Glorious-9

It has been nine fast and glorious years of partnership between me and my Cedia. Having driven variety of cars from Tercel to Camry, Ford Taurus to Crown Victoria, Prado to Mountaineer, during my tenure in Middle East, when I returned for good back to India, Cedia was the car I chose in 2007. Once we became partners it has been sheer driving pleasure all the way. The car just grew on me like a web and I became Spider man, flying around all over. No other car connected and bonded with me so well like Cedia did. Cruising, Speed testing at 165 KMPH, Rally driving on winding ghats, occasional road racing and bullying, well I did all that. When I came here, I was 45 and now I am 54. It is time to change from Sports mode to Luxury mode. So I have decided to give a send-off to my Cedia.

During these nine years, tyres changed three times, brake pads once. During last year, I changed all shocks, all suspension bushings, Tie rod assembly and end ball joints and the car’s ride became close to new. The Blaupunkt CD player gave trouble after 5 years and I changed to a JVC with Bosch Speakers in front and back. Last year I fitted a K&N filter too. Sure it gave a slightly more torque in lower speeds and better acceleration.

With all the above, Cedia has been my most faithful, trustworthy and reliable partner during last 9 years. It took us to places, North to South, East to West, with not a single breakdown anywhere. While it did Tenkasi – Chennai 660 kms in 7 hours, it did Tenkasi – Kochi Ghat roads in 5 hours.
Lastly it still gives 9-10 in cities and 15 on highways. Ok! Ok! I hear it. You don’t talk about mileage for a Cedia. Sorry.

I know the next car isn’t going to be as sporty as Cedia. I am going to miss its ‘ridiculously small’ (Courtesy JC) turning radius, ample Ground Clearance and its acceleration from 0-100. But then, I came from Camry to Cedia and it shouldn’t be too difficult to adjust. But what I have to do a lot of ‘get used to’ is the gear knob positions of Jetta. Having driven Japanese machines which has the reverse gear below the 5th, this fella has it where 1st gear should be. Man, I am going to do a few times yank into 6th gear and wanting the car to move backwards. I have to be careful.

Here are few snaps before I say "Adios Amigo"

And a big thanks to all Cedizens who interacted with me passionately all these years.

Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...-121020120741.jpg

Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...-22102012080.jpg

Mitsubishi Cedia SPIRIT - Staying Ahead of the Herd...-dsc00146a.jpg

Name:  DSC00038.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  130.0 KB

And Yes, the Paint is Original and nothing done. Also see the Logos. Hats off to Mitsubishi for Durability.
RajaTaurus is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote