Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th April 2008, 17:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

@ kingshukt > good suggestion.

@ Juda > doesnt seem to be a serious problem.
Leave it to the dealer to sort if you cant do as kingshukt as advised. Im sure its a matter of air still trapped in the fuel lines. Stay posted.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 17:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Why 65? Was it the max it could take?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 17:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Sir, with your expert knowledge, please post a picture of plunger for our learning. That would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Welcome back.
I suggest that you start the engine unscrew the plunger of the manual pump , prime the system till diesel spurts out, pump it a few more times and screw back the plunger. Check that the plunger is screwed on tightly. Loosely tightened plunger means that air again get sucked in.
65ltr is the official documented fuel tank capacity for Safari 2.2 and so it fills no more as I had too experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why 65? Was it the max it could take?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 09:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Sir, with your expert knowledge, please post a picture of plunger for our learning. That would help.
I am no expert. I am in infact when it comes to the complex engines of today.

All my so called "expertise" comes with the ownership of a Sierra for the last 10 years - Not that the car gave me too much trouble, It was the ignorant TASS (with expertise in Tata Trucks) which made me do the running-around.

I did try to look for the primping pump (it is mentioned in the Owners manual also) but could not find it. May be other T-BHPians like Juda who have had to prime their pumps when they ran out of fuel can tell us where it is located so that I can take a photo of the Plunger and post it.
It is very similar to a Kersone stove principle where you unscrew the plunger, pump the stove and screw back the plunger.

Last edited by kingshukt : 28th April 2008 at 09:15.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 20:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

The priming pump is mentioned in the manual, I can lookup the page number if you want. But am posting picture below, stolen from bglrsrini's thread and marked.

Name:  Image030.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  41.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
I did try to look for the primping pump (it is mentioned in the Owners manual also) but could not find it. May be other T-BHPians like Juda who have had to prime their pumps when they ran out of fuel can tell us where it is located so that I can take a photo of the Plunger and post it.
It is very similar to a Kersone stove principle where you unscrew the plunger, pump the stove and screw back the plunger.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 20:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

OT:
I have been strongly advised to not try "mileage marathons" with the safari 2.2 . Its mandatory to refill even before the low fuel warning light comes on to avoid headaches with these fuel -sensitive common rails especially.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 08:48   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The priming pump is mentioned in the manual, I can lookup the page number if you want. But am posting picture below, stolen from bglrsrini's thread and marked.

Attachment 14493
From the photo, the marked item does not look to be the priming pump. However I will have relook.

P.S: The manual was the 1st place that I looked. The prining pump is mentioned in a 2 line para - no photograph(s)

Last edited by kingshukt : 12th May 2008 at 08:54.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 16:11   #83
BHPian

Default Top Speed 180Km/hr!

Had experienced this sometime back so thought of sharing this with you'll anyone else done this?

Anyways this was on a straight Pune-Bangalore highway early in the morning-5ish.

Accelerator was not flat out, this was at 3.8-4k RPM.

Full story later when I have time to type......

Back to work now.

Cheers!

J-U-D-A
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 19:45   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Had experienced this sometime back so thought of sharing this with you'll anyone else done this?

Anyways this was on a straight Pune-Bangalore highway early in the morning-5ish.

Accelerator was not flat out, this was at 3.8-4k RPM.

Full story later when I have time to type......

Back to work now.

Cheers!

J-U-D-A
Odo error! Odo error !!! It has to be odo error. 180 @ 4k rpm??
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 18:07   #85
BHPian

Default Long Time No See!!!

I think last time I started actively posting the recession had not hit us, now we are almost over the middle and into the end (atleast thats what we would like to think) of the recession 2010 hoping looks good for the IT industry and Share market

Economy apart here I am with 22K Kms done till date. Going in for my Next 2 Year/30K service in the coming months, first thing that comes to mind is to get views from every Safari expert here. So here goes...

Here is a list of things I am thinking apart from whatever the regular service checklist TASS (AVANTHI Motors) has

1. Get the Fuel tank cleaned. (Couple of bad fuel top-ups last year may
have caused dirt to settle at the bottom.)
2. Steering off center to be adjusted.
3. Check with the Works MAnager if he can flush engine oil put in
synthetic Oil. (I remember asking him couple times in my last couple
visits for synthetic engine oil he says it would "Void warranty"....let me
see if things have changed on that front)
4. Wheel Alignment (I think this is covered in the regular servicing.)
5. Door noises and niggles that have started recently (last 5k Kms) - May
be the Nitrogen in the front wheel was at 32psi and thats what has
made it more jumpy and caused all those noises. Also the nitrogen guys
guage looks faulty.

Apart from the above checks I intend to get the next installment of accesorries on the beast. (Wish List - budget yet to be approved )

1. Carry boy nudge bar (One that is advertised on Safari Dicor website
apparently costs 11300Rs)
2. (2 Big Hella) lamps like the ones the 2 Black safaris of some famous
BHPians here.
3. LED strip that will light up the side step when Parking is turned on.
4. New Bosch Wipers (Seasonal accessory)
5. Front Art Leather seat covers change (Little Tear on the Drivers seat)
Plus Door trim done in the same or darker shade art leather.
Plus Gear Knob and Hand Break lever done in same color.

I can go on but I need to be carefull as too much padding of the list may lead to cancellation of the entire project from Home Department hence I am sticking to this at present.

Guys please add to both these lists and please advice as to what is usually missed and/or should be paid attention to while going in for the 2year service.

Cheers!

JUDA
Old 12th June 2009, 18:55   #86
BHPian

Juda, good to know that you are nearing 30k on your safari 2.2. So how is the vehile doing after 22k on the odo. any major hic ups to talk about. please share your experience.

and yeah, IT is definitely looking up.. we are seeing light on the horizon.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 19:11   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Juda, good to know that you are nearing 30k on your safari 2.2. So how is the vehile doing after 22k on the odo. any major hic ups to talk about. please share your experience.

and yeah, IT is definitely looking up.. we are seeing light on the horizon.
No major hiccups at all (touch Wood!) Just had trouble when I got myself the new set of RIMS the body was touching when doing full turns that got sorted from the Body shop which my TASS happens to own which also does restorations and Body jobs for many imports.

All in all nothing to talk about, yeah there has been a couple times in Mahabaleshwar (Hill station) that the service light comes on for like a fraction of a sec and goes off. I noticed it during my GOA stay as well once but never on the long stretch runs. I dont know what to make of it and/or also if I should inform TASS when I take it to this service. I dont want them to start an investigation on something that might be cause by some surge or spike that does not look that serious and have the Car dismantled in order to get to the crux of the matter which may turn out to be nothing. I think they do a regular ECU check during the service and that should bring out any abnormalities. Ah I remember may be the power steering has toughened a little and the clutch needs to be less harder but again I am hoping these things to get sorted within the service and require no explicit mention to TASS.

I am still thanking my stars that I bought this car mostly based on our expert Team Bhpians views and it has turned out to be a great experience.

I know of people using better "badges" having lots of trouble with their rides. I think it is more dependant on how one drives the vehicle and just takes sometime to care for the vehicle and the vehicle takes care of you.

How is your beast doing ? All well?