Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th December 2007, 21:03   #61
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@samurai- thanks for fixing the title. should have paid more attention to my spelling
@zak- I'm flattered that you think a thread started by a newbie is interesting
thanks also to mathur who thinks its a nice thread.
but it wouldnt have been so interesting without all the arguments. so thanks to suman and doctorkats.and everyone else who's contributed and taken time to read through it.
and I have definitely gained on new perspective on SUVs

Like samurai said, This car is going to be a tarmac poser. it should also be able to handle rough roads. its almost never going offroad, except maybe a smooth gravel trail once in a while.So i definitely dont need the endeavour
On road manners are very important to me, so I cant pick the safari even though I liked the ride and the visibility far more than the tucson's

The plan is to find a used offroader in the budget category a few years down the line, If i feel the need to do any rock-hopping.

I still have'nt found the time to TD the pajero. but taking it to the same trail is going to be difficult. The trail is at the opp end of the city.
I plan to get the vehicle for TD from Geo motors which is past kundanur and the trail is in kakkanad. but doing that should give me the chance to see how fast/ slow the pajero is on the highway. the numbers tell me its going to be the slowest of the lot.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 21:06   #62
BHPian

Default RE: Tucson Vs Endy Vs Safari

Seems to be a redundant argument. If am not wrong, the Tucson and Terracan have been discontinued because they had stopped bothering the sales charts.

The comparo should be Pajero Vs Endy
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 22:59   #63
Team-BHP Support

If the Tucson was discontinued, how did he managed to do TD on it? Nope, it appears to be still on sale.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 08:29   #64

The tucson is still on sale, not just in india, but also in western markets. even if it gets discontinued, i dont think it will be a big problem, I'm beginning to admire that company more and more. I used to be a die hard maruti fan boy.
Old 13th December 2007, 10:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But, I myself have done a bone breaking TD of the Pajero. So, Atul's TD doesn't matter much in this thread. We wanna see how Doc RipperG will be impressed with the Pajero TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I plan to get the vehicle for TD from Geo motors which is past kundanur and the trail is in kakkanad. but doing that should give me the chance to see how fast/ slow the pajero is on the highway. the numbers tell me its going to be the slowest of the lot.
Zak, I could be completely wrong but my gut feel is that Doc Rippergeo will not like the Pajero - a dinosaur from the past which cannot outdrag even an Esteem, what's the point of a SUV like that? Besides, I don't think you can do donuts with the Pajero so that's another HUGE black mark against its name
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 04:32   #66
BANNED

Default Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Zak, I could be completely wrong but my gut feel is that Doc Rippergeo will not like the Pajero - a dinosaur from the past which cannot outdrag even an Esteem, what's the point of a SUV like that? Besides, I don't think you can do donuts with the Pajero so that's another HUGE black mark against its name
I'm laughing out so loudly that my wife seems to have woke up!

Doc! Let me get this right. You need a vehicle which is a bit big, has good onroad manners, should handle bad roads comfortably, diesel and good after sales support? Right? Is there anything more to be added here? Keeping the above points, I don't think there's any other vehicle sold in India under 20L other than the Tucson. You're right in your decision it seems.

Man! This thread is becoming more and more interesting to read!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 04:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot of debate on softroader offroader thing here.

The Tucson is a crossover, much like the CRV. In essence that means its actually a beefed and jazzed up car having a monocoque bodyshell. So its no surprise that the handling and the mannerism traits would be carried over. So your observation about the agility and handling was correct.

The Endevour and the Safari are different machines having Body on ladder frame construction. This construction gives advantage to more extreme offroading, by which it involves fording, a bit of climbing, going where there are no roads than what the monocoque based SUVs (crossovers) can offer.

Safari I guess you are calling as a softroader because your experience says that it might not be able to take it to the same extremes as say with a Jeep. Safari is softer, tuned for better ride. There was a better nomenclature that used to be used in the past, cars like the Jeeps were called as "cross-country vehicles". But now its more of how extreme would you want your SUV to have offroad capabilities.

The Tucson kind of cars were born out of the observation that most SUV's never leave tarmac, or even if they do, they actually take jus the unpaved road, which even a car with a high ground clearance can take. Having said that the Montero too is some sort of a crossover being based on a monocoque shell.

Last edited by 1100D : 14th December 2007 at 04:39.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 07:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Doc! Let me get this right. You need a vehicle which is a bit big, has good onroad manners, should handle bad roads comfortably, diesel and good after sales support? Right?
If you ask me, Rippergeo needs a Toyota Innova and not an SUV.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 07:50   #69

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

The Tucson is a crossover, much like the CRV. In essence that means its actually a beefed and jazzed up car having a monocoque bodyshell. So its no surprise that the handling and the mannerism traits would be carried over. So your observation about the agility and handling was correct.

The Endevour and the Safari are different machines having Body on ladder frame construction. This construction gives advantage to more extreme offroading, by which it involves fording, a bit of climbing, going where there are no roads than what the monocoque based SUVs (crossovers) can offer.

Safari I guess you are calling as a softroader because your experience says that it might not be able to take it to the same extremes as say with a Jeep. Safari is softer, tuned for better ride. There was a better nomenclature that used to be used in the past, cars like the Jeeps were called as "cross-country vehicles". But now its more of how extreme would you want your SUV to have offroad capabilities.

The Tucson kind of cars were born out of the observation that most SUV's never leave tarmac, or even if they do, they actually take jus the unpaved road, which even a car with a high ground clearance can take. Having said that the Montero too is some sort of a crossover being based on a monocoque shell.

Thats a brilliant explanation, put that way, classification of a car/ crossover SUV becomes more objective. there are no doubts then about which category to place a particular product in.
Thanks again.
ofcourse, this means that I have to retract my statement about the safari being a softroader.
Old 14th December 2007, 07:51   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
thats probably true, but dad cant stand the thought of driving a van
Old 14th December 2007, 07:54   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Having said that the Montero too is some sort of a crossover being based on a monocoque shell.
You seem to be making a big assumption that monocoque=crossover=softroader.

Many kickass off-roaders happen to be monocoque based. Jeep Cherokee XJ(since 84), RX 300, BMW X5, etc., come to mind.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 07:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Many kickass off-roaders happen to be monocoque based. Jeep Cherokee XJ(since 84), RX 300, BMW X5, etc., come to mind.
Errr...RX300 isnt exactly a kickass off-roader. Nor is the X5. They are lifestyle vehicles.

The Jeep Cherokee is a reasonably competent offroader, not exactly kickass class.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 08:03   #73
BHPian

Default Where would you slot the GV?

Quote:

The GV drive quality is more like a crossover with the diff locks making the difference on the off-road capability..By definition, the GV is drifting from crossover to cross-country..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 08:16   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The GV drive quality is more like a crossover with the diff locks making the difference on the off-road capability..By definition, the GV is drifting from crossover to cross-country..
damn! here we go again
Old 14th December 2007, 08:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Samurai, heartily agree about the Cherokee being a kickass off roader but the others on the list - not sure if I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
ofcourse, this means that I have to retract my statement about the safari being a softroader.
Amen, drinks are on the Safari marauders the next time you are in our neck of the woods - no pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Innova on dry river beds ?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote