Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th December 2007, 10:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Thanks m3 . The seat covers costed me 5500/-.

5500/- only? would love to look at that...please post the pics soon
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 16:42   #17
BHPian

Go to Trimurti - in front of Kirloskar oil engines. Price is similar. I got mine fitted there. Took them about 5 hours. Ask for fixed type seat covers.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 22:02   #18
BHPian

guys, reporting first glitch on my vehicle.

today eve, coming back from office in bangalore rain, turned the ac knob to adjust the flow towards the windshield, got a rude shock seeing a bunch of smoke coming out of the ac vents in the central console. no smell of burning though, immediately put the thing off.

driving was hell after that, the whole glass area started to fog up and it was a struggle to see anything, scary experience at best.

have called the helpline, they advised to bring the vehicle to the service station tomorrow morning. let's see what's wrong, hope nothing major!!

anyone can advise on that, what all to get checked?
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 03:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post

today eve, coming back from office in bangalore rain, turned the ac knob to adjust the flow towards the windshield, got a rude shock seeing a bunch of smoke coming out of the ac vents in the central console. no smell of burning though, immediately put the thing off.

driving was hell after that, the whole glass area started to fog up and it was a struggle to see anything, scary experience at best.

have called the helpline, they advised to bring the vehicle to the service station tomorrow morning. let's see what's wrong, hope nothing major!!

anyone can advise on that, what all to get checked?
Huh?
Smoke?What colour?
At times when the aircon condensor becomes too chilled, frosty ice is thrown out from the air vents.But this is whitish and smoky in appearance like what comes out of the freezer compartment of the refrigerator.
Grey smoke could be oil burning from the heat of the engine in case some of it was spilled in the engine area by a careless mech.
Let us know what TASS has to say.
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 07:59   #20
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In all possibility that is the mist/frosty ice that is coming out. Also as you say it was raining outside, the temperature difference and humidity had an effect and thus the glass fog.

Re: How to defog a car windscreen .

As said any other smoke would have been associated with most probably burnt odour.

Anyway definitely do check up with the service centre and do keep us posted.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IMHO its nothing toworry - the when you turn it towards the windshield, the particulate matter / humidity converts the A/C into a mist-like appearence. This is nothing to worry about as I have seen it a few times in the palio as well.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
today eve, coming back from office in bangalore rain, turned the ac knob to adjust the flow towards the windshield, got a rude shock seeing a bunch of smoke coming out of the ac vents in the central console.
It should be humid air getting frosted, nothing more.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 18:11   #23
BHPian

doctor, adc, madan and steer, thank you guys so much! you put my mind at ease :-)

took the vehicle to the service station today morning, the mechanics and the station cro had a look and they also said the same thing as you have pointed out regarding chilled air, it must have been condensed air thrown off by the ac. the conditions tallied with what the cro described, he too owns a safari for a long time, when the outside temperature is low and the ac is put on and blower put to the highest, one might experience this particular behavior, fog like stuff coming out of the ac vents, it seems he himself had experienced it. now i believe it, on retrospect, the fume was indeed very thin and white, no smell too as all of you have pointed out, i was trying hard to smell that particular burnt smell you get from wires and circuit boards, but there wasn't any.

slightly off topic, but i feel it is my duty to write down here for the benefit of many other safari owners, the guys at concorde service station on hosur road took the time to open up the bonnet and inspect the engine area of my vehicle even after the problem that i actually went in for was resolved, more like dismissed after observation. they indeed found a loose bolt and took the vehicle inside and tightened it. this is something good i am reporting, we keep talking of people rendering us bad service, but good things that they do should also be highlighted i guess.

one more thing that i realized talking to 3 mechanics and the supervisor at the service station that i really do not need to stick to the 2k rpm limit, they were asking me who told you this crap.. after i told them that the showroom people advised me, they just gave a few corny smiles.. guess i'd stick to the real people whose day in and day out is an engine from now on.. however everyone suggested that i stick to 100kmph till the first service, just to be safe, never know what bolts or nuts were left loose rolling the vehicle out the assembly line!

thanks again and cheers!
Old 20th December 2007, 19:04   #24
BHPian

Thumbs up

Re: How to defog a car windscreen .

great article adc, thanks!

how i wished i had some way to get rid of the dense fog, cleaning with a cloth is no good, matter of moments before the fog comes back again. was scared, thinking of accidentally hitting someone or something..

cheers!
Old 20th December 2007, 19:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

aburagohain, great to know that it was a false alarm... guess the beast is getting on well; haven't seen much of beast-bashing lately!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 21:30   #26
BHPian

thanks happywheels, i am happy again :-)

yes, the vehicle is doing well, now that i have wisened up to her standards that is!

pleasure to drive and commands good respect on the road, people seem to suddenly be very understanding and wait patiently till you finish reversing or whatever that may be, good thing.

yes, even i am missing the numerous posts that used to pour in a few days back!
Old 25th December 2007, 20:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pleasure to drive and commands good respect on the road, people seem to suddenly be very understanding and wait patiently till you finish reversing or whatever that may be, good thing.
this is absolutely true mate; i started my initial days in Bangalore with a Tata Sumo (with a crash guard and fog lamps and hella horns on them) and the speed at which people gave way when you honked was great.

two months later, when I got my Alto, all I did was sit and honk and honk and honk - people gave a dam! I had to wait for them to give way! Was a rude awakening.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 09:20   #28
BHPian

Check out my garage for my Safari's photos (seat cover photo is also there)
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 23:09   #29
BHPian

Since last couple of days, when i switch on the truck in the morning there is a puff of white smoke for around 5 seconds. Any clue what's going on, also it this normal?
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 23:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Since last couple of days, when i switch on the truck in the morning there is a puff of white smoke for around 5 seconds. Any clue what's going on, also it this normal?
Puff of white smoke during cranking, before the engine starts when the engine is cold is unburned fuel vapor being pumped out the exhaust pipe. The white is tiny droplets of fuel. In a diesel, this cranking smoke indicates defective glow plugs, but may also come from low compression caused by worn rings or valves.

You should have it checked up

Thnx
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote