Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th December 2007, 16:37   #31
BHPian

I could not TD the Optra Magnum as TVS motors on Kasturiba road did not have any cars to TD.

They said they will bring the car to my house but have not contacted me yet.

With regards to space, Of all the cars I sat in, the most comfortable for me to sit in the driver's seat were

(1) Getz ( I know that is strange as it is a small car )
(2) SX4/Cedia
(3) Civic (due to the adjustable steering, but getting in and out is not easy )

I will test drive the optra magnum in the coming days.

But before I take a final decision, I really do want to TD the Getz Crdi. I know that it has no safety features, but after driving the Verna D, I really have to see what that engine can do in a Getz.

I am guessing that driving a getz D would be injurious to one's health albeit a lot of fun . I am sure that it will induce and encourage a few bad driving habits.

I had a Toyota Celica about 9 yrs back when I was in australia. The celica used to pin me to my back rest in the 1st and 2nd gears, but after a long time I came across a car, verna that does it in 1st, 2nd , 3rd and 4 th gears.

I am planning to TD a getz diesel when I go to chennai this week end.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 20:47   #32

I'd suggest you test drive the Corolla as well, before you take the plunge.
koenigsegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 11:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
2006 Oct 15K Cedia Sports M.Red going for 6.5Lakhs
@ vittalnrv - Too tempting! Can you pls post details of where to find this deal? BTW, do you know the history of this car? and why its put up for sale?
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 12:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Check out the rear seat in Cedia, the thigh support is worst than Indica, and outrocious...
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 12:19   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Hi,
I
Surely Honda and Toyota are 'overselling' their cars in India. (Mitsubishi tried to the same when lauhcing Cedia, but corrected their price-tag downwards by more than 1 lakh, to be reasonable and attract potential buyers of Civic and Corolla).
For the the price, they offer good technology, product management and proper service back-up. What do HM offer - slightly outdated products, variable back-up, lousy resale - the most expensive component of a cars cost!. They never tried to rip off customers evident by HM's cutting prices of cars and parts in one swoop.

Why do "overpriced" civic and corolla's still beat Cedia's in market sales. Admittedly the Corolla is outdated. The Cedia is a good car but it's time was over by the time they introduced it. It should have come in 2003 - then it would have been a leader like the Lancer was
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 00:24   #36
BANNED

guys i am shocked... just checked car-wale.com, the value of a 2006 cedia sport is even below 6,00,000 lacs in delhi if the car is in excellent condition and even lower if its in good/average condition. the value for even a 2007 sports model is lower than 7 lacs. guys i think the cedia's we are seeing on the road are second hands, when we can get a D segment car which has barely run and is just a year or even less old for half the price of other D segment cars like civic or octavia, why wouldnt anyone buy it. just because mitsubishi is not doing well in india or any other reasons??
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 10:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I can just see some Cedia-bashing here... It's sure a driver's car, fun to drive, easy to handle.
As I said, earlier, those looking to sell their car in 2 years, please don't look towards Cedia.. This is owners car. For the price tag of 9.3 Lakhs, got the techonology and durability I wanted. Product management ?

What that has to do with the quality of the car? Thats marketing..!!!
In Saudi Arabia, 90% of the Cars are from Toyota. A Poor 10% is shared by all the European, American and rest of the Japanese cars... Reason? THe Toyota Agency is owned by one of the most powerful Princes, while all other agencies are owned by either lesser power princes or business families.. Does it mean all other cars are crap and only Toyota and Lexus are the BEST.!!!!

Service Back-up..??? Its a myth of different kind... I have never seen any problem or lack of service back-up from ACT India in Chennai. Whereas, I have heard the two service centers in Chennal for Honda are over crowded and over booked, unless you have some influence, the car just gets cleaned in every service. May be Mistubishi's service is lagging on other cities, but, in Chennai, I have no problem at all...

Thigh Support..!!! That's the biggest blemish in the Cedia it seems. But, I have never realized this could be discussed in so many forums and threads so extensively... Looks like even a child would say 'Thigh Support = Cedia'.
If thighs are supported, the legs would be hanging down and if you ride for 6-8 hours in that condition (likt those luxury buses), your legs would be swollen. If you can put your foot full and firm on the ground while sitting, the fatigue is minimized on your entire legs (includuing thighs..!!)

Sanchits, I suggest please go take a look at the particular car before getting shocked. Cedia owners don't sell the car, unless there is some unique problem to the car..!!!! Might be this one is an accident car..!!!

Cedia cant be valued across the table based on one car's price in one City. Look for another Cedia in another city for the same price, and You would never find one...

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 31st December 2007 at 10:17.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 12:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, I can just see some Cedia-bashing here... It's sure a driver's car, fun to drive, easy to handle.
We do not deny this about the car's driving characteristics. BTW were n't you honda / toyota bashing earlier in this threads?

Quote:
For the price tag of 9.3 Lakhs, got the techonology and durability I wanted.
Good for you!
Quote:
Product management ?

What that has to do with the quality of the car? Thats marketing..!!!
We never denied the quality of the car was bad except vis a vis the first Lancers. Quality of image, brand. Proper pricing, ensuring a good residual value, I am not going to go gaga over a well engineered car if it loses value due to poor image

Quote:
In Saudi Arabia, 90% of the Cars are from Toyota. A Poor 10% ............................. while all other agencies are owned by either lesser power princes or business families.. Does it mean all other cars are crap and only Toyota and Lexus are the BEST.!!!!
Do you actually have statistics to state this figure? Is there a directive that states one has to buy Toyota from the Prince. Permit me to quote actual statistics from here on KSA car market

"A recent survey showed that while Japanese carmakers claim 62.5% of sales, Korean manufacturers have seen their market share accelerate from 0.5% in 1994 to 8.5% by 2007." So how did you get the 90% fig for Toyota when Japanese cars only total 62.5%?

Quote:
Service Back-up..??? Its a myth of different kind.. Whereas, I have heard the two service centers in Chennal for Honda are over crowded and over booked, unless you have some influence, the car just gets cleaned in every service.
Heard? Please produce facts, if there were issues, we would have kown on this forum by now. After your 90% market share quote on KSA, your credibility of statements is now questionable

Quote:
Cedia owners don't sell the car, unless there is some unique problem to the car..!!!! Might be this one is an accident car..!!!

Cedia cant be valued across the table based on one car's price in one City. Look for another Cedia in another city for the same price, and You would never find one..

Have you ever thought about the fact that there are very few Cedia owners in the first place and the low resale deters them from selling and makes more sense to keep the car instead?

Make no mistake, the Cedia is a good car, but the overall ownership value is not compelling unless secondhand. We are pleased that you love your Cedia but no need to go overboard

Last edited by ajmat : 31st December 2007 at 12:59.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 13:39   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cedia cant be valued across the table based on one car's price in one City. Look for another Cedia in another city for the same price, and You would never find one...
The Cedia has terrible resale value in Mumbai too. Though its a nice sedan, if not too many want it new....not too many want it used either!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 13:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Do you actually have statistics to state this figure? Is there a directive that states one has to buy Toyota from the Prince. Permit me to quote actual statistics from here on KSA car market

"A recent survey showed that while Japanese carmakers claim 62.5% of sales, Korean manufacturers have seen their market share accelerate from 0.5% in 1994 to 8.5% by 2007." So how did you get the 90% fig for Toyota when Japanese cars only total 62.5%?
I guess they took the data possibly from this survey report. Click here to see the report.

Please note that the 62.5% consists of all types of consumer vehicles, (such as Sedans which are the most popular passenger vehicle (75%) followed by 4 wheel drive (4X4s) vehicles (20%) with ownership of 4X4s higher in rural areas (27% own a 4X4) - See the survey Report)

The balance 37.5% consist of big suburbans, 2 cabin pickup trucks etc., and 4 x 4 drives such as Land Cruisers and the sort..

Here I was mentioning about cars, i.e., Sedans, which is portion of these 75% of overall vehicles.

The report summarizes that Japanese brands account for two thirds of the market. The American and other brands account for one third. But, Out of the two third, Japanese brands dominate in cars - sedans compared to Family vehicles whereas, American brands are preferred for family suburbans.

I don't have the figures of within Japanese cars, how much percentage Toyota holds, versus other Japanese brands, but it is roughly close to 90%. That's what I wanted to emphasize as an example. This is just obvious if you travel on the roads of any major city of Saudi Arabia.

It is not the same scenario in other gulf countries. Kuwait, UAE and other countries, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Mazda have almost equal shares in Sedan market.

Of course, there is no decree in KSA for buying cars from the Prince's agency only...!! but then, in a Kingdom, I guess there is no need for a written and published decree to do that. is there.??

Anyways, I brought this point here only to highlight that market presence and market domination is not the only criteria to evaluate a vehcile... (Sure not to dscuss Saudi Arabian car market scenarios vis-a-vis Toyota)

Thanks for holding me down mate..!!! I sure realized after few moments that I have gone a bit overboard...

HAPPY NEW YEAR...!!!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am on the look out for a new car and am planning to make a booking after Jan 15th.

Purpose of the car is to commute between madras Bangalore 2 to 3 times a month.

My requirement is a fast, safe, economical car. I was looking at the Getz Crdi segment. A friend suggested that I should but a car with ABS/Airbags and it made sense.

I am also 6' and weigh 119 Kgs. I need a car with some serious leg room.

Car: Suzuki SX4 zxi
Dealer: BIMAL Whitefield road

Sales person was courteous and arranged for a test drive immediately.

There is ample room for the driver and the ingress and egress is very convenient. One does not have to crawl in and out of the car.

The seat adjustment levers and plastic parts were of very poor quality and loose.

The engine was a huge let down. It did not have the torque I was looking for.

So even though with ABS/Airbags/Climate control @8.2 Lakhs on road and offers very good value for money , resale etc , I was not impressed.

Car: Honda Civic
Dealer: Whitefield Honda

The moment I opened the car, I got the "wow" factor. Being a tall & fat person , I simply love the telescopic steering. It makes life so much easier to get in and out and have a comfortable driving position. Not to mention the fact that it makes the steering assembly very "cool"

The company's driver took the car out for a test drive and as it came out it scraped it's under chassis with a sickening noise.

I found getting into the car was a bit difficult due to its low profile. But, I found that a full grown adult could sit comfortably behind me even after I pushed the driver seat far back. Once inside, I felt that I was in a jet fighter rather than a car. The car performed admirably . There was perceptible road noise , but that could be forgiven because the car is just a beautiful piece of art.

Drove for 4 kms in the outer ring road and decided to make a u turn and had to cross a speed bump. Crossed the speed bump at 10 kmph and again scraped the bottom. Felt bad.

The engine is superb, response is admirable , the driver console is futuristic , and the car looks beautiful and performs like an angel. Only complaint I have is the bottom scrapping.

Even though priced at 13.2 Lakhs on road, I thought it was worth it as I could not put a price tag on a piece of art.

Walked out of Whitefield Honda with a new found love for the civic.

Car: Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi
Dealer: TAFE , St.Marks Road

Sales person was not courteous, not knowledgeable and arranged for a test drive after a protracted delay.

I have always loved the skoda Octavia . Thought of it as a superb car.

I was deeply disappointed when I realized that there is absolutely no space in the car. Once I push the driver seat far enough to seat me comfortably , the car becomes a 3 seater. I found the Getz to have more space than the Octavia.

Anyway, I took a test drive , The engine is marvelous. I think the ECU in the car does not allow the car to stall and no matter which gear you are in , if you remove your foot from the gas pedal it adjusts the engine rpm to a speed where it does not stall. That was a very nice feature. The torque in the engine pulls the car along like a locomotive. No wonder it gives 22 kmpl.

The electric mirror adjustment is kept in a very awkward place. The flasher and the wiper switches are reversed in position. The interiors were too dark and dull for my taste.

NOTE: The car given to me for TD was a new skoda (unregistered with testing plates ) and amazingly, the Speedo and the odo were not working ( disconnected ) . Is there some thing fishy here???

When I asked for the on road price of Octavia with ABS/Airbag and diesel, I was quoted 15.3 Lakhs on road.

I found this to be preposterous as I did not find any value in that car worth 15 Lakhs. It does not even have disc brakes in the rear for 15 L .

Car: Mitsubishi Cedia
Dealer: Southern Motors St.Marks Road

If I had to one word adjectives to describe the cedia, they would be "conservative", "traditional", "simple", "effective", "practical" etc.

The car is just PERFECT. Everything you need and nothing you don’t need. No flashy cockpit style console like the Civic, but a dull boring traditional instrument console, Superb and silent engine. Huge amount of room for the driver and the passenger, very nimble , solid feel to the doors, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS/Airbags and a good Suspension.

I found the lack of climate control a bit disappointing.

I was impressed with the suspension the most. It gives a very comfortable ride and does not bottom out like the civic. Also the engine behaved to be more torquier than the civic even though on paper they have the same torque at almost the same rpm.

I was dong 50 kmph at 1000 + rpm in 5th gear and the car did not knock or complain.

The next thing I was impressed with was the amount of leg room available. Of the cars I tested only Cedia and the civic did not become a 3 seater once I sat comfortably in the driver's seat.

I must say that I was surprised by the cedia. at 9.3 Lakhs on road , it is great value for money . The only sticky point would be that it is backed up by Hindustan Motors.

Car: Hyundai Verna CRDI
Dealer: Advaith Hyundai Outer ring road

This car can best be described as an "out of control beast". And I mean that in a good way.

Let me first give the bad points about this car.
(1) The car becomes a 3 seater once I sit comfortably in the driver seat
(2) No air bag option
(3) Not a big fan of the egg shaped look of the car

Seldom do you drive a car that pins you back to your seat in the 1st to 4th gears. It has psychotic performance. It makes you grip the door handles with fear if you are not driving.

I honestly think that hyundai has redefined the game for small segment performance with the verna crdi.

There is no point elaborating on the interiors, climate control, gear shift or the audio. In front of this engine, every thing else becomes inconsequential.

WOW!!! WHAT AN ENGINE.

Conclusion:-

Even though I have not made a selection yet, I have definitely eliminated Skoda. I sincerely feel that one pays 2-3 Lakhs for the exclusivity it offers than any real value.

I have tentatively eliminated the sx4. The only positive I see with it is a good service network.

I am yet to test drive the optra magnum and the corolla. The optra magnum seems to suffer from the 3 seater syndrome too. I will add to this post once I do that.

Definitely a good comments on all cars..even i had similiar dilemma in choosing between cedia,city, verna & magnum

I had made up my mind with cedia due to several +ves given by our BHP folks...but looking at mileage,power & efficiency(ofcourse resale value too),i had drilled down further and came to a conclusion..

yess..i am booking verna crdi SX with ABS version...

dude..just calculate the petrol you gonna spent for 1 month..i;m in to sales and when i calculated, i am spending Rs 6000 for 1 month(roughly 1200kms) if i'm calculating same with verna(diesel) i am getting just Rs 3400 which is almost 50% reduction.

For your type of journey..just go for verna or magnum(magnum resale value cant be commented & GM *** is not so gr8)
deepanonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 14:15   #42
BHPian

team-bhp is a great forum dont make it fight club. I love this forum and I do suggest all to have a look at team-bhp before going for any 4-wheeler.

I did not see any overborad in above RajaTaurus's post.

Being a moderator one should be more resposible. He/She hould not take a part in fighting, whereas he/she should put valid point to make more practicality. His/Her prime responsibility is to cool down the members and not to pur the fire.
pawan_pullarwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 14:52   #43
BHPian

Hey Guys, why all this fighting about Cedia. I mean it's simple, you either like it or you dont. So just take your stand and be happy. We are here to help a guy choose a car, not fight over Cedia or why someone is going over the edge.

Ok Getting back to the Topic. I own a cedia, and yes i do agree with most of the users on the following points.

1) Running Costs - Dont buy a petrol car if you are traveling a lot. Will burn a hole in your pocket. but ya if you have a lot of money and stuff, go ahead.

2) Power - I have driven my dad's Skoda Laura on the Highway from Bangalore to Chennai. And i think it can do a much better job when it comes to overtaking than a Cedia. Yes i know it's a very high end car, but the point is the Torque at lower RPM's.

But hey like the old saying goes, it's not the Car it's the Driver that matters, So you need to test drive a car see how it matches to your taste and then decide if you will be happy driving the car.

I would really suggest all Team-BHP members to stop pulling the Resale value point into the picture now at the initial stage. and like someone mentioned, there are always two people when you sell a car, who makes an idiot of whom Depends on the desperation to buy/sell.
ajay mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 02:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Why do "overpriced" civic and corolla's still beat Cedia's in market sales. Admittedly the Corolla is outdated. The Cedia is a good car but it's time was over by the time they introduced it. It should have come in 2003 - then it would have been a leader like the Lancer was
i beg to differ on the dates since you are way off here. The Cedia was selling in US with the same grill till 2005 end, and was given a minor front facelift in 2006. Whole of 2006, the latter sold as Lancer in US. 2008 Lancer only reached the market in March 2007 and later. So, what you can fault HM with is that they did not launch with the 2006 US version (front grille change largely) when they finally did launch the Cedia, or that they delayed the launch a lot, or that they did not wait till end 2007, and launch the 2008 Lancer!

In other words, HM sucks but the Cedia is not nearly as outdated as some make out to be - esp. considering time of launch in India and the model selling as Lancer in US at that time.

Regards,
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
2006 Oct 15K Cedia Sports M.Red going for 6.5Lakhs
so thats about 30% per year right? isnt that normal write down book value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys i am shocked... just checked car-wale.com, the value of a 2006 cedia sport is even below 6,00,000 lacs in delhi if the car is in excellent condition and even lower if its in good/average condition.
Carwale works on user input. If there were a couple of people who sold their Cedia's in delhi at a particular rate - they average that and quote it. It is not based on market dynamics, but more on user input.

Last edited by madan80 : 2nd January 2008 at 22:59.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote