Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th January 2008, 20:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the safari Dude...

Goddy
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 21:15   #17
LLL
BHPian

congrats on the beast. White Safari looks royal...
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 21:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude. i have the same spec safari VX 4X4 though in the 3.0L engine trim.
have fun man.its a good vehicle if you neglect the small glitches.
go make your own road
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 21:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats.

What was your last drive? Would love to hear a comparison with an SUV and your last car as it would be helpful for wanna be Safarians like me.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

more safari's on the road is it... No wonder the roads are getting crowded - everyone's out to reclaim!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Congrats on the beast.

Almost 80% buyers of Tata vehicles on the forum are first time buyers.

with the kind of user review and owner reports, what short can one expect. I for one, who never thought of the beast till I came down here, now am pretty much sure nothing else will do!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:36   #22
BHPian

An other BHPIan from B'lore in the Safari club.....WELCOME HOME!!
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:48   #23
BHPian

Welcome to the safari club.Its great to own a safari.I feel safe and secure driving it in Bangalore.Every day when Iam back home,we go out at 10'O clock as a family in our safari and enjoy the ride in HSR Layour and the ringroad.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats.

What was your last drive? Would love to hear a comparison with an SUV and your last car as it would be helpful for wanna be Safarians like me.
My last car is a Honda City CVT and I still intend to keep.
I think making comparison between petrol Honda CVT and a diesel TATA geared truck would be quite extreme. Still I noted a few things:
  • Safariís 3rd gear has very good drivability. I read another user commenting on these forums thatís itís almost like driving an automatic (less number of gear changes i.e.). I would broadly agree with this.
  • In more than three years I have had the City, only in the last few months I have heard squeaks and rattles (and very low still). In the three weeks I had the Safari, there are already quite a few noises. I am hoping few of these get fixed with first service. As I already said previously, this something I was already prepared for.
  • Safariís cabin noise insulation is not very good. All road/traffic sounds filter in clearly, almost as if a window is open. I am thinking of getting some sound deadening done. There is long thread on sound deadening in the ICE section, buts thatís oriented at improving ICE rather than reducing outside noise.

Can anyone tell me if something like Wurth/American Dynamics can reduce outside noise?
  • Comort wise, there is no doubt, Safari is step above the City on Bangalore City roads.

These are common niggles with Tata I hear.

The road presence, commanding driving position (please believe the phrase "feels like a king" as others have said), comfort, the looks it gets from other people..., all these overwhelm any niggles.

In my opinion, please go ahead with the Safari, you will have no regrets.

On comparison with other SUVís:
I only did comparison on paper. We wanted a second car and wanted it to be an SUV.

With this the Honda CRV was the natural choice, especially since it was also available in Automatic. However it seemed a bit too much to pay 21.5 OTR for the CRV automatic. I mean since its fully imported the price has a quite a bit of duty content in it. And my wife added a condition that it should be 7-seater, in case ever required. This pushed CRV out.

Next choices were the new Endeavour, new Vitara and Tucson.
Endeavour is bit to big, I was already concerned with fitting it my parking space. Moreover the flat sides of the new Endeavour were not too attractive to me.

The new Vitara is 5-seater only. This ruled it out. I donít like Tucson shape and neither it is a 7-seater.

I would loved to look at the older Vitara XL or the Terracan, but sadly there are no longer available.

I was planning to wait till at least the Captive or Santa Fe came out. But once the new 2.2 Safari was out, its price vs features advantage clinched the deal. A major decision point was also that I was not paying any extra duties to GOI for a fully imported vehicle (I already pay enough taxes!).
DukeSan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 17:15   #25
BHPian

Hi Duke,
Firstly Congrats on the new ride. I've booked the Pearl White EX 4x2 and is due on 28th May. Looking forward to taking the truck home. This is my 1st SUV, though not the 1st TATA we owned/drove. My dad used to have an Indigo. not much of a problem with it though. liked the comfort and the space. but was still not ideal for a family of 6 to go long distance comfortably.
Do read thru the threads here. this will definitly give you a very good idea about what to expect and where to look for incase of any issues.
Safe driving.
Bugs
bhagathmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 03:49   #26
BHPian

Default Door handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
the door handles that you talk about are they only on the VX as I din't get any on my EX 4X2. I have seen such door handles on the other SUV's. Are they something similar to the door handle that is there in the boot compartment in the Safari (when one has to climb fromthe 5th door) ?
Please also advise whether these can be installed on EX model?
Hi guys,

can any one help if the handle that's found inside the boot can be fitted on rest of the 4 doors with out major modification done? or is there an alternate solution?

Any guidance and / or direction towards a post would really help.

Bugs.
bhagathmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 00:47   #27
BHPian

Hey, congrats pal. I have joined the Safari VTT 2.2 club. Mine is a 4x2 VX version. Its been a week since I got my beast to ride. Till now I have not faced any issues. I agree with the positioning of the HU. It is difficult to adjust when you are on first or third gear. However, I still have not had the time to fully tinker with my music system. I have been so mesmerised driving the beast that I hardly thought of the music!! Happy driving.
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote