Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 13:01   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@maxbhp, Are you saying Skoda priced it higher because it doesn't want higher sales ?

Regarding the complaint that people in India need to have a trunk as 'status symbol' - In India most people buy one car for the whole family. A trunk makes a big difference. There are fewer people who buy cars just for fun and might look at a hatch, quality and all that.
Thats the reason people buy hatches when they are priced right.
I live in Mumbai, and i know of families who have cars with boots, but NEVER use them.
The point is. . . there is something called as 'big car mentality' i mean if i arrive in a Indigo, then i have arrived in life, and if i come to any get-together in a . . Corsa Sail, then i am 'still trying in life'. So that is it. . .
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:06   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Presently they can never cater to the mass. Thats the whole point . There is no way they can make 5000 cars a month. Do you think skoda has the capacity to get 60000 fabias in India.
Second question is do you think they can serve such a huge customer base with their existing chain of outlets ?

The truth is whatever you may say Skoda has cleanly kept the car for the privileged. Its meant for people who dont mind paying a bit more for quality.
Its meant for people who'd buy Hertz instead of Xplod. Both produce the same thing, thats sound but the quality of reproduction is totally different. For better sound you gotta pay more.

MAybe lateron when they get their setup in order they will get a cheaper variant of Fabia . Just wait and watch. It may not be as cheap as Swift but it'd be def. close to that.
i think you said it perfectly. its simple. please buy it if you value the things you are getting with the car, and if you dont. . please dont buy it.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:12   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@maxbhp, Are you saying Skoda priced it higher because it doesn't want higher sales ?

Regarding the complaint that people in India need to have a trunk as 'status symbol' - In India most people buy one car for the whole family. A trunk makes a big difference. There are fewer people who buy cars just for fun and might look at a hatch, quality and all that.
Thats the reason people buy hatches when they are priced right.
Am not saying thats the prime reason .
All I am saying is that if they had priced it lower the demand for the car would have exceeded their capability to address to such a huge customer base.
@ 6 lacs this car would have easily done 3000 units a month and with their present network its not viable to address to such a large customer base.
Moreover maintaining this car is going to be expensive. Its certainly not for the lower end customers .
Am not saying a boot is useless .
yes there are fewer people who would appreciate Skoda for its inherent strengths and those are kind of customers they are targeting at.
For example a software engineer in a metro might find this car a very sensible buy. It gives them everything they want.For the same these young professionals may not mind spending a bit more coz they want comfort of a big car and practicality of a small car.
Now , you may ask me Why not Ford Fusion Diesel ? Now thats a personal preference.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:15   #214
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

So, It's easy to make a decision. You get many good things WITH the car. Can't be sure of the car by itself. Right?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:21   #215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Am not saying thats the prime reason .
All I am saying is that if they had priced it lower the demand for the car would have exceeded their capability to address to such a huge customer base.
@ 6 lacs this car would have easily done 3000 units a month and with their present network its not viable to address to such a large customer base.
Moreover maintaining this car is going to be expensive. Its certainly not for the lower end customers .
Am not saying a boot is useless .
yes there are fewer people who would appreciate Skoda for its inherent strengths and those are kind of customers they are targeting at.
For example a software engineer in a metro might find this car a very sensible buy. It gives them everything they want.For the same these young professionals may not mind spending a bit more coz they want comfort of a big car and practicality of a small car.
Now , you may ask me Why not Ford Fusion Diesel ? Now thats a personal preference.
well said. is there no one here who owns the car who can give us a better idea? its pointless arguing amongst ourselves..each has his own opinion..

any actual owner here?

Last edited by rev up.. : 31st January 2008 at 13:23.
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 21:05   #216
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

So, is anyone planning to do a detailed TD on this car or what? Looks like its now at the showrooms.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 21:10   #217
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
So, is anyone planning to do a detailed TD on this car or what? Looks like its now at the showrooms.
a lots on roads here at Tvm.

Top end costs just 8.75Lac OTR ???

Last edited by jkdas : 31st January 2008 at 21:11.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 22:39   #218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 363 Times
Default

Hi Guys, I just saw a white Fabia up close today and I can shamelessly say I have jumped camp. Forget 9 lakhs this I would gladly pay 10 plus for this beauty if not more.

For those who say it looks like the swift if not smaller its clearly time to schedule an appointment with the opto. How can you miss the skoda badge upfront, are you blind or what, that alone is worth eternal bragging rights like in the ad. Hotel doormen and neighborhood busybodies will be looking at you with renewed interest and appreciation of your refined tastes.

Start the thing and others could be mistaken for feeling there is an Indica around but guess what, the SX4 like climate control and superior European build will ensure you are totally immune from the racket.

People on this thread are unable to grasp the premiumness of this marvel, they keep on crapping on the thread asking exactly what makes this car premium. Well hello! let me spell it out S.K.O.D.A.

So you have lived in Europe and know the Skoda brand is as exciting as a loaf of bread, not exactly someting to flaunt around, is a value buy like the swift, a good solid practical car, and are thus confused, nee flabbergasted about the 3 lakh premium you have to pay for it here and this Ferrari like Skoda brand image I want to bestow on it for no particular reason. Well tough, I value exclusivity and at that price I will be one of the few driving this car, the car doesn't matter the exclusivity does, get it. No? I have 9 lakhs to blow and you don't.

Sarcasm alert
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 23:42   #219
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
secondly people on this site, i expect only 25% to be prospective buyers, balance are people who cant afford this car and are judging the car purely by virtue of an outsider. Once you are in the range of affording this car, then you will have a different view all together . . so i request you to 'change' your opinion after carefull consideration.
AC 427, I don't think that is entirely true. Just because someone is able to afford the Fabia does not necessarily mean that he will consider it to be the best deal at the asking price. I guess it boils down more to how much the person equates his "status" to the size of his car (read "should have a boot") and my guess it that would be the killer issue in most cases. However if someone is not looking for a sedan and does not mind the puny engines the Fabia has been offered with , it is no doubt a great package in other aspects.
Strangerintown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 01:29   #220
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

i know the fabia is expensive, but i think people who can afford this car will buy it as for them it is value for money.

secondly people on this site, i expect only 25% to be prospective buyers, balance are people who cant afford this car and are judging the car purely by virtue of an outsider. Once you are in the range of affording this car, then you will have a different view all together . . so i request you to 'change' your opinion after carefull consideration.
how can it be value for money its just snob value to show u have money,value for money= best price for the best features

secondly i am sure most of the people who can afford this car would rather pay 3 lakhs more or 3 lakhs less(6 to 12 lakhs)and buy a better (value for money)car/suv at least i am sure i will never buy this car would rather buy a swift/sx4/verna/scorpio/safari than this Fabia costing 9.5lakhs

thirdly if u have the money to burn than u can buy any car and say its value for money as long as u are happy whats a fabia people pay 4 or 5 cr for cars and fell happy about them whats 9 or 10 lakhs ultimately all of them from a maruti 800 to a maybach have 4 tyres and a steering wheel and will take you from point a to point b
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 04:00   #221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune.
Posts: 80
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@maxbhp

As far I am concerned, I will not look for a quality in a hatch. I will instead save more and go for something cool in the next segment. and that too when I know even after paying more, I will have to spend the same amount to maintain it.

And that is where your analogy of Hertz and Xplod goes wrong. They stay the same even after years of abuse without me spending a dime on their maintenance.

but that's my opinion.
tanmay_ambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 10:56   #222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Hi Guys, I just saw a white Fabia up close today and I can shamelessly say I have jumped camp. Forget 9 lakhs this I would gladly pay 10 plus for this beauty if not more.

the car doesn't matter the exclusivity does, get it. No? I have 9 lakhs to blow and you don't.

Sarcasm alert
hehehehehehe.
always knew a white fabia is all it takes for anyone to fall for it. if i was someone who did not have the kind of money, id still try hard to get myself one.
the only thing bothering me is the wait. how much more do we have to wait man? have been waiting since 2002..
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 13:09   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
how can it be value for money its just snob value to show u have money,value for money= best price for the best features

secondly i am sure most of the people who can afford this car would rather pay 3 lakhs more or 3 lakhs less(6 to 12 lakhs)and buy a better (value for money)car/suv at least i am sure i will never buy this car would rather buy a swift/sx4/verna/scorpio/safari than this Fabia costing 9.5lakhs

thirdly if u have the money to burn than u can buy any car and say its value for money as long as u are happy whats a fabia people pay 4 or 5 cr for cars and fell happy about them whats 9 or 10 lakhs ultimately all of them from a maruti 800 to a maybach have 4 tyres and a steering wheel and will take you from point a to point b
first the most exp fabia will cost 8.9 here. in mumbai
second; value for money i said considering the features it give, even the sx 4 cannot come close to the car in feature. The only thing that the fabia lacks compared to the sx 4 is the boot.
and there was a research done, which said people who value their money more 'the discerning buyer' buy the Skodas.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 14:04   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

Folks,
I went to the SKODa showroom to have a dekho at the care and here are my two cents:

1) Definitely a well built car.
2) Interiors are good quality but a bit drab.
3) A 3 cyllinder engine ,not very refined and powerful as compared to Swift and Getz.
4) Uses synthetic lubes. Aong with high service charges and expensive spares the owner will end u spending all the money he saves in terms of low fuel consumption.
5) Does not appear VFM vis a vis cars like the SX4.
6) A good second or third car for some one who already has an accord in the garage.
7) Will not be a volume car.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 14:40   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Am disappointed with the Fabia..Maybe had RS expectations..RS power, Handling etc..This is one damp xxxx
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive noidaboy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 81 13th October 2011 22:57
VW Polo 1.2 Petrol: Brief Test Drive sushantr5 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 72 15th February 2010 16:04
Nissan Teana - A Brief Test Drive abhinav.gupta88 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 12th June 2008 12:34
i10 : First impression EDIT : Test report on Pg. 2 shobhit15 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 15th November 2007 09:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks