Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 01:12   #106
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

When something negative about Skoda is discussed here, why does it sound like a joke to many?

SKmami had a valid point in his post I think.
And Indica diesel will rule the roost in the Taxi department. Maybe the Fabia and Swift etc will gain some popularity in the rent-a-car department.
Yellow plates are for rented cars. Ain't it?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 01:53   #107
BHPian
 
skmami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 152
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I do hope you are joking about the Taxi comment,

Im sure taxi operators would look at the Swift as a cheaper car to operate or would rather buy a Fiesta which is a segment higher.
It meets the the qualities that taxi owners would like to see :

1. Mileage with Diesel engine.
2. Durability (from rugged construction)
3. Brand (customers would like to brag about what car they rented for their trip.).
4. Price.
5. Maintenance cost.

Earlier Skoda met the first 3 qualities and with the introduction of fourth variant (Active) it has also met fourth one on the list i.e., the price.

The only thing if the Skoda can manage is the pricing of the parts then it meets the last point as well. Once that is accomplished it is ideal for taxis.

I don't think Swift meets the #2 and #3 in my opinion.

By the way, we used to rent cars.
skmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 02:37   #108
BHPian
 
gr8guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 649
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
Earlier Skoda met the first 3 qualities and with the introduction of fourth variant (Active) it has also met fourth one on the list i.e., the price.
Are the prices out? How do you know that Active would be priced competitively.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 02:55   #109
BHPian
 
jerish666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum,Kochi,Trissur
Posts: 757
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
When something negative about Skoda is discussed here, why does it sound like a joke to many?

SKmami had a valid point in his post I think.
And Indica diesel will rule the roost in the Taxi department. Maybe the Fabia and Swift etc will gain some popularity in the rent-a-car department.
Yellow plates are for rented cars. Ain't it?
Zak its ok buddy,dont take it serious.so many people like skoda so for them its a joke for others not.Let skoda introduce the fabia first.Its just a car so please dont argue too much and take it personal.

Last edited by jerish666 : 4th January 2008 at 03:13.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 07:59   #110
BHPian
 
epyupc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its also got lesser min and max legroom than a Getz!
The min and max legroom that the manufacturers quote is almost irrelevant.

For example, my octavia quotes a high max legroom at the back. But with he front seat all the way forward, even a midget will not fit in the front seat. (it just shows that the rails are very long.)

The best way to assess the rear egroom is to sit in front adjust the seeat so you're comfortable and then check out the room in the rear.

If you do that in an Octavia, you'll get the idea that the rear is really uncomfortable.

All the showroom peeps try to pull the front seat all the way forward when you get in the back.....
epyupc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:32   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Are the prices out? How do you know that Active would be priced competitively.
quite obvious man. they might have figured out that the pricing is a hinderance for their saleability. so they decided to come up with a cheaper variant as well to suit indian sensibilities.
but no power windows?
that is taking it a little too far, dont you think?
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:39   #112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
those who are considering fabia...

i can tell you that interiors (if you have a taste for Octy/Laura like interiors) will make you sign the cheque. and then they will own your cheque book. buy skoda only if you have some extra cash.. IMHO spare parts will be more expensive than Civic's.

you should never stretch your budget to buy a fabia or any euro brands they simply don't understand lower-cost of ownership. on the other thread someone mentioned that E class ORVM costs 1.3 lakhs, true?!?
for my liking its not unusually expensive. just that with a skoda, everything even after the purchase is expensive. that might be the only thing that stop me from buying the car.
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:46   #113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc View Post
The min and max legroom that the manufacturers quote is almost irrelevant.

For example, my octavia quotes a high max legroom at the back. But with he front seat all the way forward, even a midget will not fit in the front seat. (it just shows that the rails are very long.)

The best way to assess the rear egroom is to sit in front adjust the seeat so you're comfortable and then check out the room in the rear.

If you do that in an Octavia, you'll get the idea that the rear is really uncomfortable.

All the showroom peeps try to pull the front seat all the way forward when you get in the back.....
octi has the legroom of a small car..the fabia has pretty decent legroom..atleast going by whatever ive read about the car so far..
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:53   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
steer, think it has 2 airbags. Looks like teh co-passenger once is above the glovebox.

edit: 2 airbags
The new Skoda Fabia - Feel Special

Its also got lesser min and max legroom than a Getz!
the site says it has two airbags..dont remember which variants have how many..that would depend on the price also..now with the the 'active' variant coming in, things will again change.
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 11:41   #115
BHPian
 
skmami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 152
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev up.. View Post
the site says it has two airbags..dont remember which variants have how many..that would depend on the price also..now with the the 'active' variant coming in, things will again change.
We already know what is not there in the Active variant. I don't think they have pulled the Air Bags yet.

However they might be working on another variant where they might be planning on pulling the air bags also.
skmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 12:08   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev up.. View Post
the site says it has two airbags..dont remember which variants have how many..that would depend on the price also..now with the the 'active' variant coming in, things will again change.
Airbags is the best part of Fabia. When I was out for my hatch, the only choice I had for airbags was Swift ZXI.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th January 2008 at 12:10.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 12:28   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Airbags is the best part of Fabia. When I was out for my hatch, the only choice I had for airbags was Swift ZXI.
thats my concern too. in trying to come up with the cheaper variant active, arent they doing away with all the things for which people were planning to buy the fabia in the first place?
rev up.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 12:50   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

i think this launch will be making more sense for ford fusion.i dont think this will in any way hamper the swift sale.getz and fusion would be a choice for the customers going for the skoda.people will start comparing the service cost and parts cost-then will make sense for the other models in the similar price range.
jerry -put your bet on some thing else ,leave this alone.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 13:22   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,734
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
When something negative about Skoda is discussed here, why does it sound like a joke to many?

SKmami had a valid point in his post I think.
And Indica diesel will rule the roost in the Taxi department. Maybe the Fabia and Swift etc will gain some popularity in the rent-a-car department.
Yellow plates are for rented cars. Ain't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
It meets the the qualities that taxi owners would like to see :

1. Mileage with Diesel engine.
2. Durability (from rugged construction)
3. Brand (customers would like to brag about what car they rented for their trip.).
4. Price.
5. Maintenance cost.

Earlier Skoda met the first 3 qualities and with the introduction of fourth variant (Active) it has also met fourth one on the list i.e., the price.

The only thing if the Skoda can manage is the pricing of the parts then it meets the last point as well. Once that is accomplished it is ideal for taxis.

I don't think Swift meets the #2 and #3 in my opinion.

By the way, we used to rent cars.
To elabourate on why the Fabia wont be popular in the taxi segment

1. High Price - Will a taxi operator or a customer sitting at the back be able to appreciate the higher quality and additional features of the Fabia.

2. Smaller Service Network - Wouldnt an Indica or a Swift D be preferred due to the fact that they have a much larger service network.

3. Lower Maintainance Costs - We all know how Skoda rips us of with their high maintainance charges, something that taxi operators would want to stay against.

4. Temptation to go to a higher segment - With reports of the Fabia being priced close to sedans, Im sure taxi operators will be tempted to go a segment higher.

5. Strong Competition - The Fabia has a lot of competition from the Swift, Getz and Fusion and some may not think that the Fabia is worth the premium.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:21   #120
BHPian
 
jerish666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum,Kochi,Trissur
Posts: 757
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
i think this launch will be making more sense for ford fusion.i dont think this will in any way hamper the swift sale.getz and fusion would be a choice for the customers going for the skoda.people will start comparing the service cost and parts cost-then will make sense for the other models in the similar price range.
jerry -put your bet on some thing else ,leave this alone.

ram
Hmm Hey Ram i have to think a lot now.Anyway i have one more month.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive noidaboy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 81 13th October 2011 22:57
VW Polo 1.2 Petrol: Brief Test Drive sushantr5 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 72 15th February 2010 16:04
Nissan Teana - A Brief Test Drive abhinav.gupta88 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 12th June 2008 12:34
i10 : First impression EDIT : Test report on Pg. 2 shobhit15 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 15th November 2007 09:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks