Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd January 2008, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Default Kencha- Getz Prime CRDi-VGT

All my close ones(friends,brother,bro-in law,other relatives,colleagues)
always teased me as I was waiting for Getz CRDi or Fabia 90BHP or Grande Punto 90 BHP CRDi's from past one year.
I told them that, some things in life are worth waiting for....
I was very clear on my needs,,,
A sporty premium CRDi hatch(over 85-90 bhp),good space,better built,better ride,good ergonomics and not to exceed 7.2 Lakh and finally needed to buy before 2007. Only three fits the need. Fabia,Punto,Getz( and now i20) and none of them were in the market !!.
While not sure of getting hot engine on Fabia coupled with relative late launch, may be higher price and didn't hear much about Grande Punto too.
Then came this Getz CRDi- I was among the first to book and first to drive and first to own.

My 4 colleagues said after test drive(I was nervous to give before the 1st service), something in life are really worth waiting...
I believe in buying with full satisfaction,with least compromises. I didn't want to crib like Indica owners do, you have stand the accelerator to make the car run !!. Typical Swift owners complaints such as noise,rattling,built quality,poor ergonomics,lack of space etc etc. Hence in the current lot of option and the pressing need to buy before 2007 landed me on the lap of Getz CRDi- Kencha.

So far I have clocked 750 km. I believe in giving opinions as much as based on the facts. Now feeling that, I can give opinions though my target was to write atleast after 1st service yet to happen after I reach 1200km.

My sincere thanks to TBHP friends,-rks,kpzen,iraghava,s0uljah,hemanth,patiencewins,Na vin and many more who helped me to finalise on tyre/alloy and ICE.
Also special thanks to my friend Rajesh who took care of all these things, because I was attending my emergency situation of my newly married friend/his wife at hospital while car was being loaded with these accessories. I really appreciate my sales contact Raja and accessory guy Mohan at Advaith showroom who did great job with lot of zeal/josh.

My addition to car was,

1. Aura Alloy wheel -R14x5.5J- Model G21455
2. Bridgestone Turanza ER60- 195/60 R14
3. Sony HU GTU460 (Direct USB/Aux In)
4. JBL GTO 937 Rear speaker
5. JBL GTO 637 Front speaker
6. Anti theft system with remote lock.
7. Rear Spoiler
8. Poly Vinyl(fake leather)seat covers.

Every one knows about the greatness of Getz. So I don't want to write too much on it.
There few noticable changes in this CRDi version,
- People are ga ga over gear shift of Getz petrol being butter smooth.
But gear shift in CRDi is bit hard, I said to myself who stole the butter ????. I need to see how it fares after 1st service.
- Reverse gear is different. But now I feel more ease with it. In USA, many of the manual trans cars from Ford/GM/Nissan had the same reverse pattern.

PROS:
Great Engine- The performance is simply astonishing. Getz which is not big car really adopts this performance. You never ever feel out of control.
NVH- Cabin noise is NIL, NVH is just non existant - In Idle condition/start up, engine does make Rr Rr Rr which is more audible from outside, inside too you'll feel it but once your on the move, it vanishes.
Ride Quality - Truly amazing.
Handling-Braking- Quite outstanding for 110 BHP Mill. You have to drive it to believe it. I'll thoroughly test like a pro after the first service.
FE- I got 13.8 kmpl with AC On all the time under city driving condition of Bengalooru.
(Method used was- fill tank till Auto shut off, trip odo to zero,after 75 % empty again autoshut off in the same bunk,same point. I am yet to check the highway mileage, I am sure it'll be around 18-20kmpl.
Ergonomics - This is just great. Large front view glass, no blind spots,tilt steering,foldable rear seats and so on.
Space- Inside its as spacious as sedans.Outside it doesn't look big/bulky like Swift.Once you get in,anyone would be surprised see how big is this.

CONS:
- Lack of ABS.
- I still feel for this price,they should've given us GLS features and ABS as an option.( Hyundai charged around 1.15 lakhs more than 1.1GVS version- The difference being CRDI engine and transmission -comparing coz both gets tax benefit).
- New features such as Parktronics, seat height adjustments etc which Fabia would have.

I did'nt face turbo lag thing which people often talk. I think torque is pretty good even below 1800 rpm. I picked up 4 relatives with full luggage(overloaded in fact) car could zip/pull even then without any problem. So with proper gear change/clutch release you can have most of the power/torque at the wheels.

I think Hyundai was not serious about this diesel version of Getz as thier focus is on i10/i20s, which would have host of new features as i10/Fabia have.
Not many people know that Getz has a diesel version !! such is their marketing of this product.

Anyways, I am really proud to be owner of this Gem. There is no match to the satisfaction/happyness I am getting once I am in the car.
This is surely an amazing car which is so much underrated.

Feel free to ask for any specific question.

Cheers
Anju

Last edited by DCEite : 2nd January 2008 at 11:39. Reason: Please don't use external formatting (eg. word processing software)
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:15   #2
BHPian

Mods please help.

Whats up with fonts size etc appearing on my post ?

Could you please Edit it ?

Cheers
Anju
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
Whats up with fonts size etc appearing on my post ?
Congrats on the car! Did you write in Word and then pasted here?

Heard Getz is going to have another facelift soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. You have got a great car. Enjoy!!
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate!

Great to know that you are very proud of your new set of wheels!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Heard Getz is going to have another facelift soon.
Yea? That's good. Any idea when this will be? And what are the proposed changes?
Most importantly, are they going to offer some important safety features like ABS/EBD, airbags etc? If they do and manage to keep the prices similar, then it's a sure fire winner

@Anju: Congrats on the purchase! I've heard good things about the Getz CRDI. Enjoy!!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Anju
Congrats for the car. Nice report.

Please remove the CRDi badge from the boot.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:34   #8
BHPian

Congrats Anju!
That is a crisp & clear write - up on a very good car !
I myself did a TD at Hyundai's Mathura road dealership last week.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Anju, congrats on the red kencha! You are currently amongst the most envied persons on this forum.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

What are you guys doing the TD on?? HMP on record, does not have a demo car of the Getz CRDi. I know because I was there Sunday & they couldn't offer me a TD of the same.

Anju - Congrats man! That's one hell of a car, have fun with it!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:54   #11
BHPian

Hey Prajesh,

I am planning to remove GVS from the rear and retain CRDi and planning to buy VGT label if available which is on Verna and place that in place of GVS. Hyundai has VGT which not many cars have and they don't want to use it for marketing against others!!.
If Swift had it, then whole India would've know by now.Maruti so good at that.

Another face lift on Getz ? I dont' think so. 6.6 OTR itself is so expensive to all. If they do, it would good for buyers.I think i20 would take the position of Getz by year end. So they may not play too much with current Getz.
I heard they would launch LPG/CNG variant of Getz in this quarter.

I'll post more pictures soon.

thank yo all

Anju
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Out of interest, what is Kencha? Kannada for 'Dude' ?

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd January 2008 at 14:00.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju View Post
Hey Prajesh,

I am planning to remove GVS from the rear and retain CRDi and planning to buy VGT label if available which is on Verna and place that in place of GVS. Hyundai has VGT which not many cars have and they don't want to use it for marketing against others!!.
If Swift had it, then whole India would've know by now.Maruti so good at that.
Anju

You didn't get my point. Why show ppl that u have a stonker of an engine in your car, instead remove the CRDi n let it be like a Getz Petrol from outside.
Perfect WOLF in a sheep's clothing...cheers:

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd January 2008 at 14:02.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Out of interest, what is Kencha? Kannada for 'Dude' ?
More like reddish dude.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:16   #15
BHPian

Your car looks beautiful. Keep the crdi badge and add the VGT badge.

I hope I will own one soon :P
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote