Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd January 2008, 22:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

@lingadalli: yeah, it CAN do a 150 with ease..because my old 2.6dx DI(direct injection) scorpio still manages to do about 135 and a little above(thats only how much i've pushed it recently)..

@absar: anytime buddy.

Last edited by badboyscad : 23rd January 2008 at 22:56.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 03:53   #47
BHPian

Well when you pay so much for a car, your expectations are quite right. All new technical goodies on Mhawk should function properly. I hope Mahindra engineers are taking feedback from dealers about the complaints and paying attention to them.
tanmay_ambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 09:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

The pictures and the features are nice, only if they could be more competitive in their pricing, it could have been a win-win situation for the Mhawk.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 09:55   #49
NIP
Senior - BHPian

lingadalli...congrats on your scorpio !! its a brilliant vehicle and once you get the complete 'feel' of the vehicle, it becomes an extension of you. i have the second gen 2.6DX and i'm still enjoying it to bits !

my only gripe with the new scorpio is that its overpriced and i would love to see a barebones 4x4 variant selling at around 9L OTR. i don't understand why mahindra does not realize the potential of such a variant.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 10:23   #50
BHPian

@lingadalli, @badboyscad -IMHO guys SUVs are not for top end speed!! They are for torque and long end power. Given the fact that most of the SUVs have a high centre of gravity please be extremely careful when driving at speeds exceeding 3 digits. All the technology being provided is to assist and cannot help in case one exceeds the vehicles and one's on capabilities. Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 11:06   #51
BHPian

Congrats on your new baby and a very good writeup.
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 11:16   #52
BHPian

@indianrunner - I was only trying to find out the limits of mHawk. The reason was, With just 2300-2400 RPM I was crusing at 100 kmph. Since the vehicle was in Runin period I did not exceed 100 kmph. But I was just wondering how much more power does this mHwak have in it. If Mahindra claims that we can go at 150 with ease and the odometer showing 180 as Max, I was wondering if it would cross 180 kmph if really pused hard on a NH4 b/w Tumkur to Sirsi where the road sides have grills to ensure no pedistrains/animals come in b/w.
lingadalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 12:22   #53
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i agree with indianrunner here. please do not drive this vehicle the way you would a car. you will get used to the vehicle and its limits over time, but till then, please drive sensibly. power corrupts, so please do not abuse it

even with the grills on the sides of the highways, i've seen some idiots climbing over them and trying to cross the road. also dogs manage to find themselves in a trap on these 'grilled' roads.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 17:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

@lingadalli: as NIP rightfully said, this ride will become an extension of you overtime when you get the complete feel of it. overtime, you ll feel like actually driving a small car(that is the ride will be under your full control)
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 22:32   #55
BANNED

even my scorpios front alloye gets dusted...after a long drive its quiet common....
and regarding the max speed till now i managed to reach 155 km speeed on my babe..it could have gone more speed if i pushed..but i didnt dare to do.......
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 15:23   #56
BHPian

Yo Pakya,

I am surprised to see you expereinced so amny problems.
My brother in law's is buying Hawk, he saw this review and was questioning my suggestion to go for hawk....

Educate me on any fruther quality problmes you had,,,, so that we check them out during delivery.....

Nice report...

cheers
Anju
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 16:58   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingadalli View Post
@indianrunner - I was only trying to find out the limits of mHawk. The reason was, With just 2300-2400 RPM I was crusing at 100 kmph. Since the vehicle was in Runin period I did not exceed 100 kmph. But I was just wondering how much more power does this mHwak have in it. If Mahindra claims that we can go at 150 with ease and the odometer showing 180 as Max, I was wondering if it would cross 180 kmph if really pused hard on a NH4 b/w Tumkur to Sirsi where the road sides have grills to ensure no pedistrains/animals come in b/w.
I have a 2.6 crde 4x4 Scorpio. Last week, I was returning to Delhi on the Delhi - Chandigarh highway, doing nearly 130kmph at one stretch, when I see this Scorpio catching up with me rapidly in my mirror. I pulled over to let him pass and he just breezed by. It was a new 2.2 VLX, and judging by the rate at which he overtook me, he was easily doing over 150kmph. In fact, just a half a minute earlier a Merc C220 had overtaken me and this guy was gaining on the Merc as well! So I do think it's a very free-revving engine.

As for the glitches, get them ironed out at service. Keep us posted Lingadalli.

Cheers,
Roshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 19:40   #58
BHPian

@Anju - The problems that I faced should not be a factor for anyone to drop their plan of buying Scorpio. mHawk is one damn good SUV. The problems I faced are pretty silly ones. They will be fixed the moment you go to the dealer once. I am by no way repenting my decision of having bought Scorpio. I feel that I have already got my 11.2 lakhs back by avoiding the near miss that I mentioned in my earlier post. I feel more at ease in driving my new Scorpio rather then a Aveo/Indica/Skoda. I feel that I am in total control when driving this vehicle. Handling is the best part.

Here is the list showing the niggles I faced....
1. I was not able to open the fuel lid by using both the button given on the dash board nor by pulling the string near the back seat. I feel the reason for this is, I had already driven about 500Kms after I had filled my tank, and during this long trip, I feel in the twists and turns, the string came out of the intended slot near the rear. My Driver fixed it in 5 minutes.

2. For once did I observe that, one of my fog lamp was not on after a long drive. The next day, it was on by itself. So again this might be due to a bit of loose wiring.

3. When using cruise control, When I had set the cruise control to 95kmph, I felt that It was going at 105kmph. I need to get it checked when I go to the dealer when I go for first service. Also the fact is that you will most likely use cruise control only on lonely highways which are hard to find these days.

4. Blackening of Alloy wheels - I need to show it to the dealer, should be a minor problem. Will observe it in my next long trip. Hope it is not a major deal.

5. Observed that the lamps get heated up a lot then expected. I mean after using the head lamp for quiet a long time, when I touch the headlamps, I feel that they are over heated. May be the glass used for the headlamps are not of high quality.

6. If you are short, you will have some discomfort to apply reverse gear. You need to pull open the hand rest while reverse gear is used.

7. The gear knob vibrates a lot. This is very unpleasing.

8. My IPod did not work when connected to the available slot in the music system.

9. Lot of dust enter the engine through the scoop. Though their is a Air filter which would help avoid dust entering engine, I am concerned about other components.

Improvements that I wish to see in Scorpio.
1. Provide better seat covers. Leather seat covers would be ideal.
2. Music Player sucks, We have to replace the music systems and the speakers.
3. 7 seater option is lot better then 8 seater. In the 8 seater, there is very little leg room.

Between, Anju, Please tell me how you could call me Pakya, Do you know me...

@Roshun, @NIP, @indianrunner, @zenopio, Thanks for the max speed ....
I am sure, if pushed, this damn SUV would even cruise at 170 kmph. I have pused my indica at 120kmph, Aveo at 135kmph, Skoda at 135kmph and Maruti 800 at 110 kmph. But in all these vehicles, when pushed to the max. I guess for Scorpio, I need to limit my speed at 140kmph. Very difficult to control your adrenalin when you ride this monster.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
lingadalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 19:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

As others have mentioned this is normal and not a niggle,

go home and swipe your finger over your CRT TV screen

the same happens to the wheels also when metal meets metal (disc brakes), STATIC attracts.

Now you know why it doesnt happen on the rear wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingadalli View Post
4. Blackening of Alloy wheels - I need to show it to the dealer, should be a minor problem. Will observe it in my next long trip. Hope it is not a major deal.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 23:29   #60
BHPian

Default Sorpio Seats

HI Lingadalli,
wanted to ask you about the seats of the new scorpio- any improvement over the previous one? Are the seats height adjustable & do they have lumbar support?
smith is offline   Reply With Quote