Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd January 2008, 17:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
atleast esteem is not....
Also Wagon R and most of the MUL vehicles or rather Jap tech vehicles.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
and came back with a black Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport.

The So-So:

1. The engine immobilizer system or something ensures that you don't crank your engine twice. So, when I was in traffic and accidentally switched off the car, I had to switch the entire car off (not leave it as it is with the lights on) and then turn the ignition. Don't know why. Oh! well, I'll live with it.
Mad Max,

That is a feature of Fiat. I had this feature in my previous car, Uno. This is actually a child safety feature.

If a child cranks your engine, he/she will get scared initially and let go the key and again he/she wont be able to crank it until and unless you take it back to the 'OFF' position.

Cheers!!
carlover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. We have a chennai bhpian bottle who has the same black 1.6 & how she shoots. Great car (If only fiat would support her well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
If not for my long legs...i would be driving a Palio right now.

I hope your legs are not 6 feet long. madan80 is quite tall & large & fits snugly in his palio.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:44   #19
BHPian

An Awesome ride...I am an ardent fan of the Older version (1.6, GTX) but the new one rocks too. I think it should give you a slightly better mileage as well!
Congrats dude
hmishra83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:16   #20
BHPian

That palio is one hell of a ride you got, enjoy have fun be safe.
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Even the Ikon sports this feature. If it needs to be restarted the ignition sequence should come from OFF.
So is the Fiesta. I was kinda shocked during a test drive when it switched off accidentally. I tried like heck to start the engine, and was feeling kinda guilty for holding up traffic. The sales guy intervened and told me I need to put the key to off position and start all over again !

All Marutis don't have this feature, and can be restarted from the 'on' position.
Not sure which one is good.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mad Max - congrats for the new tank/pocket rocket. I was a proud owner of one a few years back until a mishap happened. it was a 1.2 though.

Quote:
Regarding the windows, I too think its "Bad Design", but I guess they have some smart marketing guys in Fiat. The normal family of 4 would've bought that hook line and sinker.
incidentally I owned a Palio which had this "design" and now we have a Baleno and an Alto with the same designs, seems this design is following me everywhere . All the cars with no quarter panel glass in the rear windows have this feature which becomes quite irritating for the passengers. But it is good to know while driving that no body is going to stick their hands out because of this design .
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to FIAT family....
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:47   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the hot hatch, so many years since introduction, it still holds the mantle of the most powerful petrol hatch in our market.

The Palio looks best in black or red only. I hope you come back with some nice alloys, from tommorow's lunch break
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I hope you come back with some nice alloys, from tommorow's lunch break
In that case, I will take the OEM Alloys
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max (So I went out for lunch today..)
2. The rear windows go down only 3/4th. I guess Fiat couldn't come up with a better "safety" feature but I still hate it.

It is not a "safety" feature as FIAT makes it to be. There is no space on the door for the window glass to roll down. Others call it "Bad Design".
This feature has existed even in the Premier Padmini. Does this means Fiat has not learnt even after so manydecades of car making and designing?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This feature has existed even in the Premier Padmini. Does this means Fiat has not learnt even after so manydecades of car making and designing?
This is not a design issue, it is a security feature to prevent kids dangling their hands off the window!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:34   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
This is not a design issue, it is a security feature to prevent kids dangling their hands off the window!
this feature is good no doubt but has its limitations and I learnt it the hard way. One night after an office party one my heavily drunk colleagues asked for a lift and I could not say no at that time. This guy puked inside my car as he could not get the windows down enough to stick his head out. and he did not even bother to ask me to stop the car. after this incident I have made it a point not to let any drunkard inside my car. I had to wash the entire upholstery that night and and it was the month of January
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:45   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
It is not a "safety" feature as FIAT makes it to be. There is no space on the door for the window glass to roll down. Others call it "Bad Design".
Where did FIAT advertise this as a safety feature??? I haven't seen any sales brochures carrying a comment like that?
It is a better design than what you make it out to be. If not a safety feature, it certainly is a better security feature. Let me explain. If it has to go all the way down then the window frame will employ a quarter glass that is a car thief's favorite window to enter from without much noise of breaking an entire window glass. Hope you get it right.

Quote:
1. The engine immobilizer system or something ensures that you don't crank your engine twice. So, when I was in traffic and accidentally switched off the car, I had to switch the entire car off (not leave it as it is with the lights on) and then turn the ignition. Don't know why. Oh! well, I'll live with it.
I share the same thoughts on the double crank prevention but then its designed to ensure you don't ruin your expensive starter motor assembly.

Quote:
2. The visibility from the side-view mirrors are not great as I thought it would be. But again, its just time to get used to it
They are useless. Atleast the one on the LHS is.

Quote:
2. The rear windows go down only 3/4th. I guess Fiat couldn't come up with a better "safety" feature but I still hate it.
Explained above. Its a secure design and not safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
Mad Max,
That is a feature of Fiat. I had this feature in my previous car, Uno. This is actually a child safety feature.
If a child cranks your engine, he/she will get scared initially and let go the key and again he/she wont be able to crank it until and unless you take it back to the 'OFF' position.
Cheers!!
Hahahah your child shouldn't be getting on the drivers seat to begin with. Please, this isn't the purpose of double crank prevention. It is to increase the life of your starter motor.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
Cheers!!
this feature is not only provided by Fiat but are present in some cars from Maruti also like Baleno and Alto. Matiz also had the same feature if I remember correctly. ANd as moralfibre pointed out it is safer than having quarte panel glass which can easily be opened by thieves.