Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd January 2008, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Cool So I went out for lunch today..

and came back with a black Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport.

j/k.. it finally got into my hands after a month! Nothing to do with the dealer, I was travelling extensively for work and just landed last week. I was standing in the showroom looking at my car parked outside, and all I could think was "damn! thats one hot hatch!"

Initial driving impressions:

The Good:

1. The power feels nice. Its linear and moves like a champ. The punch from 2nd to 3rd is lots of fun.
2. The suspension seems to be taking the roads pretty easily. I drive on Hosur road and it hasn't unsettled me yet.
3. The gear lever feels well weighted in the hand, makes it a pleasure to switch gears. And the gear ratios help quite a bit. 20 kmph in 3rd gear!
4. The headlights are pretty good, I didn't expect it.
5. The seats are extremely comfortable and the rear passengers were happy, even the guy behind me.

The So-So:

1. The engine immobilizer system or something ensures that you don't crank your engine twice. So, when I was in traffic and accidentally switched off the car, I had to switch the entire car off (not leave it as it is with the lights on) and then turn the ignition. Don't know why. Oh! well, I'll live with it.

2. The visibility from the side-view mirrors are not great as I thought it would be. But again, its just time to get used to it

3. Getting a little worried about the mileage, think I am getting around 8. Hopefully, this will improve after the first service.

The Bad:

1. The car's age of design shows and it shakes a little while starting. Yes, this is a minor thing, but still bugs me that they can't get the car started without the engine shuddering to life. (ok! Fiat enthuz, we'll call that a "purr"!" )

2. The rear windows go down only 3/4th. I guess Fiat couldn't come up with a better "safety" feature but I still hate it.

3. I somehow don't like the standard wheels. The 98 pcd wheels still bother me. I've read about it here so many times and I think I wanna go the "wobbly nuts" way. We'll see.

Overall, I love this car. Does what it needs to efficiently and without much fuss. And its a blast to drive. The hardest part is to not take it over 100 kmph for a couple of weeks as advised by the dealer. Think I am gonna name it "Pocket Rocket"

Thanks, T-BHP members, for all the great company time you've spent on reading this. And for those who've patiently stood up for Fiat Palio. I am now one of you.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mad Max. A black Palio looks amazing! Please go through Rudra sir's thread on how to care for black cars. And, try not to push the Pocket Rocket during the running in period!

Last edited by shuvd : 22nd January 2008 at 14:49.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Max. That's one helluva car. Treat him/her/it (whatever you call)well and him/her/it will return the favours.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, when I was in traffic and accidentally switched off the car, I had to switch the entire car off (not leave it as it is with the lights on) and then turn the ignition.
Even the Ikon sports this feature. If it needs to be restarted the ignition sequence should come from OFF.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Even the Ikon sports this feature. If it needs to be restarted the ignition sequence should come from OFF.
And i used to think this was how all car's were !
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
atleast esteem is not....
qutie a few times in past had I tried to restart the already running engine...and was greeted with an angry squeal from under the hood.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:16   #7
BHPian

Good luck with your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
4. The headlights are pretty good, I didn't expect it. .
Hope you are talking about the looks of the headlights?? Lunch time is definitely not the right time to test headlights

Quote:
2. The rear windows go down only 3/4th. I guess Fiat couldn't come up with a better "safety" feature but I still hate it.
It is not a "safety" feature as FIAT makes it to be. There is no space on the door for the window glass to roll down. Others call it "Bad Design".
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The engine immobilizer system or something ensures that you don't crank your engine twice. So, when I was in traffic and accidentally switched off the car, I had to switch the entire car off (not leave it as it is with the lights on) and then turn the ignition. Don't know why. Oh! well, I'll live with it.
Mad Max: Congrats and welcome to the FIAT family. I own a black palio myself.

The feature you are talking about is "Double Crank Prevention". It prevents you from accidentally trying to crank your engine when it is already running. Not sure if you were informed, but the 1.6 does not have the Engine Immobliser feature.

Take good care of your car and she will keep you smiling for a long time.

Enjoy your drive.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Many Congrats pal!

Enjoy driving the Pocket Rocket!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:40   #10
BHPian

Thanks guys! I am itching to get out of work just so that I can ride it again hehe..

shuvd: I also have put my 0.02 paisa on that thread by Rudra. I used to own a black Honda Prelude which used to be quite clean! I'll post pics of that later. But in Bangalore, it definitely is difficult to keep it from getting dusty. Car covers, here I come!

WK: Lol! I didn't test the headlights at lunch time. I did it at night. The headlight leveling feature fascinates me. I kept doing that in the church parking lot after the evening service.

Regarding the windows, I too think its "Bad Design", but I guess they have some smart marketing guys in Fiat. The normal family of 4 would've bought that hook line and sinker.

Patchy: Thanks for the update. I was getting pissed that this was gonna get me in trouble in our super-fast-paced Bangalore traffic which moves at -10km/hr.

Thanks guys! If you see a black Palio driving aimlessly in Bangalore, you know who it is.

btw, did you guys notice that the intake is bent and comes across the engine and not the same side as the manifold opening? Kinda wondered how I'll be able to stick an aftermarket application in there.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:48   #11
BHPian

Default Congrats for getting your pocket rocket

@Mad Max: Congrats! man, thats one hot car you got. Pocket rocket is the apt name for it .

If not for my long legs...i would be driving a Palio right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Fiat advertises this feature and Ford doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post

It is not a "safety" feature as FIAT makes it to be. There is no space on the door for the window glass to roll down. Others call it "Bad Design".
If you cant solve a bug...sell it as feature

-Vaspro
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Think I am gonna name it "Pocket Rocket"
Congratulations on your new purchase, do remember to enjoy it responsibly...

Quote:
I think I wanna go the "wobbly nuts" way. We'll see.
Hope that doesnt mean what I think it does, though it might happen to your male passengers when you put pedal to metal...

Quote:
Thanks, T-BHP members, for all the great company time you've spent on reading this
The "wobbly nuts" statement alone made it worth it
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the black beauty!!! But I cant agree with you more, the age of the pocket rocket is beginning to show. Come on Fiat, launch the Linea asap.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Max on your new ride and have a safe drive and enjoy it thoroughly.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:01   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase mate.

It is a great car. If you want mileage, kep revvs below 2000 rpm and when you need a "pocket rocket" simply revv high for fun, but not before you run it in well.

Take good care of your beauty.
codemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote