Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th February 2008, 23:14   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
does this come with the same engine as safari ? and in same state of tune ?
Same engine but different tune; 120 PS power and 250N-m torque
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 00:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
now with some of you guys who saw the vehicle saying interiors are bad...
i wonder what TATA is trying to do with this vehicle ? if they are targetting individual buyers, the quality of interiors is going to be a turn off...

does this come with the same engine as safari ? and in same state of tune ?

if only interiors were good, it would have been a good scorpio alternative/

Tata does not seem to be able to up the quality game with its interiors to the same extent that it has managed to improve the exteriors. Even the current Safari's interior plastics are shockingly bad for a car of that price range and IMO are far inferior to the plastics that they have provided in the Indica or the Indigo (which are not too great in themselves ).

Having said that, I think the current Indicas have slightly better plastics than on my 2002 Indica. The Safari and Sumo dont seem to have been similarly improved.

The Grande shares the Safari 2.2 engine but in a lower state of tune. It puts out 120 BHP to the Safari's 138. I understand that the focus was more on fuel efficiency for the Sumo Grande. However I think the main reason for the lower tune could be to preserve the marketing image of the Safari since it will be sold at a higher price point.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 09:24   #63
BHPian

Going by what I have read so far on the engine in the Sumo, it looks like an 'electronics' only modification to reduce output. My guess is that it wouldnt take too much time to retune the engine to its 'normal' state of output. Then, with the Safari and Sumo both sporting similar outputs, its going to be fun!
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 09:31   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw it last weekend.
Looks great. Saw the Silver and the Orange one
Built quality is great.
Last bench is good for 3, 2 can sit comfortably.
Looks compact.
Steering/Seating position is great.

Kudos to Tata for this and the pricing.

Why I wont buy.

1) Its not refined as the Safari when you startup/Stop. It shudders.
2) They call it the Sumo!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 09:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

woow jk,that exactly would be running thriugh the minds of everyone who wants it-the sumo badge should have been sacked.maybe it was a succesfull brand with tata but the customer base they are targettting wont preffer the sumo image.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 10:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice that this vehicle still runs on Parabolic Leaf Springs at the rear? Bumpy ride is a certainty compared to Safari. Come on Tata... Leaf springs are something that other car makers gave up when the Romans arrived. 7 odd lacs for a vehicle touted to be a luxury people carrier that runs on Leaf Springs is ridiculous in my books.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:10   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Safari 2.2 displayed at the Auto Expo looked quite different on the inside compared to the regular 2.2/3,0 and the tata officials did mention something vaguely about 'newer version' which will be released soon.

Perhaps it was meant to come with the Grande launch?
Steer, ACI reports that a revamped Safari is expected next year. Its going to have the same underpinnings but an all new body (a la Sumo Grande).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Steer, ACI reports that a revamped Safari is expected next year. Its going to have the same underpinnings but an all new body (a la Sumo Grande).
Rush - I did not mean the 'NEW' Safari. The 2.2 exhibited at the Auto Expo had a lot of subtle differences like Turn Indicators built into the ORVM and subtle differences in the interior. When we asked him why these were not available on the 2.2s in the showrooms he said this was a 'new version' / 'updated model' which may be out soon.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:42   #69
Team-BHP Support

The new suspension on grande still has parabolic leaf springs, but the wheelbase is longer, which means better stability.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Did anyone notice that this vehicle still runs on Parabolic Leaf Springs at the rear? Bumpy ride is a certainty compared to Safari. Come on Tata... Leaf springs are something that other car makers gave up when the Romans arrived. 7 odd lacs for a vehicle touted to be a luxury people carrier that runs on Leaf Springs is ridiculous in my books.
Leads to a t-bhp ' ian dilemma on a fast road - will it roll or will it spin?
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 22:44   #71
BHPian

Saw a Marine blue TATA Sumo Grande GX version at a Chennai showroom today.

Very macho looks. Is it just me or do others also see a similarity with the Mitsubishi Montero in side profile?

The front has a mean, butch look to it. The tail lights are eye-catching. The colour and the paint job were impressive. Side foot rails are standard on this top-end version; no roof rails though. No resemblance to the old Sumo definitely.

Front bucket (with armrest) and reclining middle row seats are comfortable. The 3rd row gives a little bit of 'knee to chin' feeling with poor underthigh support but will nevertheless seat 3 abreast. Ingress to the 3rd row by folding the 2nd is not too cumbersome. Unlike the Innova, with the 3rd row in sitting position there is hardly any space even for knick-knacks at the back.

4 roof mounted directional AC vents for middle and 3rd row passengers with a single speed/ throw adjuster and reading lights for all 3 rows are top notch. The faux-wood fascia merges well. Puddle lamps on all doors are a good safety feature.

6 speaker music system - 2 on the dashboard, 2 on the front and 2 on the 2nd row doors. Could not sound it out. There is even provision for a speaker on the side opening tail gate - not sure if it will seat a woofer though. The spare wheel goes away from the tail gate increasing rear visibility and reducing chance of door rattle since the weight is less. Rear wash-wipe with demister, power sockets - very thoughtful.

Could not get a test-drive as it was their closing time; might get to tomorrow. Even without the engine switched on the gear lever was very uncomfortable to shift; incomparison the Safari and Indigo (parked at the showroom) were so light. The gear lever may turn out to be a big sore point for me .
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:03   #72
BANNED

My dear friend, leaf springs still exists on all Mahindra vehicles,why single out the Tata

When did the romans arrive and where?
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My dear friend, leaf springs still exists on all Mahindra vehicles,why single out the Tata

When did the romans arrive and where?

on the other hand the tavera has only leafsprings alone at the rear just like version 1 scorpio. to this day they have not changed it!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Dear reignofchaos, Ford Endeavour which is an SUV, also plonks Leaf Springs(Progressive Linear Rate) with Low Friction Pads as part of rear suspension. I bet it is ridiculous in your books yet again. - No offence meant pal.
lalith_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 16:33   #75

Totally my opinion

But I am not impressed.

The design of the interiors is good, but the quality is not up the mark.( The gear shift knob seems to be copied from Bolero )
Most of all the space is less.
I am a six foot guy, but even a 5'8" guy would not be comfortable.

I was expecting the grande to raise the bar in the segment. but may be my expectations were too high.

Spinner Wheelz
Spinner Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote