Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th February 2008, 22:44   #106
BHPian

What about bull bars at the front for the Tata Sumo Grande? Which of the current crop will fit and look nice?
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 23:05   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
come from the point that the Grande does not have a rain-water drain for the roof like the Sumo has. This was a very useful place to mount the luggage rack.
This is what I was talking about in my previous post, better word would be the rain water drain/gutter rather than rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
luggage on the roof. In this case roof rails are also not present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
1100D : Carrying heavy loads on the roof is a big turn-off.

What do you mean by TURN-OFF....
As in Mood dampener!

So vacationing with > 5 people in either of these cars (Sumo, Safari, Scorp) would actually mean that the luggage space would be insufficient in the passenger cabin itself. Innova I have seen has a decent space after the third row.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 23:06   #108
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
What about bull bars at the front for the Tata Sumo Grande? Which of the current crop will fit and look nice?
YIKESSSSSSSSSSSS

Sumo's front is its biggest plus point.....it will get ruined using a bull bar.

But we definitely need some stickering for side and something for rear.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:16   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So vacationing with > 5 people in either of these cars (Sumo, Safari, Scorp) would actually mean that the luggage space would be insufficient in the passenger cabin itself. Innova I have seen has a decent space after the third row.
Safari has decent enough space in the back even if if 2 persons sit on the jumps seats at the back + Safari has provision for a lugguage carrier - though limited to 100 Kg
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat79 View Post
He feels that it will not go for Taxi and it is completely different from Sumo.
Quite possible. It's not being offered in White colour for this obvious reason, i guess .
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

yesterday i saw a WHITE "SUMO GRANDE" on the road...looked really awesome from upfront..

and then once i went closer , realised it was a MONTERO !!
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:17   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just thinking, giving 120 bhp in the hands of a BPO cab driver is like giving a machetti to a monkey. Be ready for terror on the streets.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 19:55   #113
Team-BHP Support

On the other hand I do not think we will see any worthwhile number of Grandes doing BPO cab duties. Cab companies work on the funda of fast returns with lowest possible investments.

So while the Grande may show up in the luxury taxi segment in some numbers those teeming millions of BPO cabs won't have many leather clad steering and gear knob and of course alpine HU sporting Grandes IMO.

If anything the current Sumo sales will shoot up higher amongst the cabbies as it will become even cheaper. Remember the entry level Grande is some 6.25L.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th February 2008 at 19:56.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 20:06   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I was just thinking, giving 120 bhp in the hands of a BPO cab driver is like giving a machetti to a monkey. Be ready for terror on the streets.
however it aint that fast. there isnt much to choose between say the innova and the grande in terms of outright performance. And BPO cab drivers are already driving Innovas
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 21:17   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
however it aint that fast. there isnt much to choose between say the innova and the grande in terms of outright performance. And BPO cab drivers are already driving Innovas
120bhp, 1200bhp or 12bhp, it does not matter, cabbies can make all three equally deadly.
I have full faith
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 21:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

has the price for grande been anounced.i feel the budget dint have anything in store for the grande class.Looks good to me,saw an orange one.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 23:44   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
has the price for grande been anounced.i feel the budget dint have anything in store for the grande class.ram
Chennai dealer quoted on-road price approx 8.26 Lakhs for top end version. Chennai official launch on Sunday 2nd March 2008 and deliveries from Monday 3rd March 2008(too optimistic?!).
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 02:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
120bhp, 1200bhp or 12bhp, it does not matter, cabbies can make all three equally deadly.
I have full faith

three cheers to that hahahahah!

well for the first time tata has come up with a very good looking suv, for me better than safari, looks very modern, i need to checkout the interiors soon. if this car is really good over all then would not mind recommending to my uncle whos on a hunt but teambhpians i need the initial report asap, thank you all in advance!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 04:20   #119
BHPian

The top end is surely missing ABS/EBD and Airbags. I don't want to end up buying the present top end and have Tata waking up to this fact in a few months time.

I remember seeing another thread that Tata is considering making ABS/EBD and airbags standard features in all cars for about Rs.15000/-. Such a move will be really great if it happens, but can end up killing the present top end Sumo Grande model.
sudhirlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 08:23   #120
BHPian

That was a nice move by Tata but why cant Tata make a quality interiors with good plastics.. Is that where they make profit?
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote