Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th July 2008, 11:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums20 View Post
To check mileage i will petrol only when the lamp glows and the petrol filling station is very near by...........
I have also heard people saying Maruti 800 ( second hand) giving 20 -22 kms / litres.......I do not how true these things are........
Thats will not give accurate reading. Ask petrol pump to fill with "auto cutoff" /"Auto Full" whatever they understand. Note down ODO reading.

Then drive for 60 - 70 km and come back to same petrol pump. Fill with auto cut off again and check average.

Regarding Maruti 800 giving 20 kmpl, thats reasonable. If you drive your spark on expressway with speed of 80 kmph, you will get similar mileage.

No car will give 20 kmpl in Pune / Mumbai city roads.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 11:19   #32
BHPian

Hi Klever,

Getting an FE of 13 for Spark within Chennai city is quite good. Earlier this year when I was in India for few months I helped my Aunt pick up a Spark also from Sundaram in Chennai and used it my self during my stay, approximately a month and a half. I never got a FE of over 10 in the city. You are one of the lucky ones if you are measuing the FE in the correct manner - I always did full tank - full tank check. I used to drive to Ambur nearly every 2nd day and Pondicherry every 5th and found the car just about OK on the highway, it cruises perfectly at speeds of 120 though people who know the Chennai - Bangalore highway would find it difficult to sitting at that mentioned speed. Spark has a decent top whack, I have taken it very often to 145 if I remember correctly but I feel the suspension is tooo soft for the highway, or may be I am just used to stiffer settings.

It is a good city car. It was good to read your review.

Drive safe and have fun !

Indra
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 16:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi kums20,

> There is one low-fuel indicator lamp in the vehicle. It glows when the fuel > Am i wrong somewhere? Pls clarify....

The low fuel indicator as well as the auto cut off method rely on sensors which may or may not have the same sensitivity always. The brim to brim method is the one which I follow.

Try the auto cutoff method if you can stick to the same fuel dispenser at the same pump.

If you are averse to having a full tank since your running is low, try to keep the fuel at least at the quarter mark of the fuel guage. The present day fule pumps need a minimum amount of fuel in the tank to have optimum efficiency in pumping. Moreover the fuel pump is likely to draw any impurities in the fuel tank if the fuel level is low.

> equivalent to busy city road) will drive in 3rd or 4th gear....unfortunately
> there is no tachometer in the vehicle.

What are the approximate speeds when you are on the highway? You can choose 5th when at 50.

You are unlikely to get much more in the scenario you have described.

Mileage depends on a lot of factors - road conditions, car condition and the driver.

What happened to the mileage test by the dealer?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 17:09   #34

Hi trrk,
I think majority of the people who own spark are getting a mileage around 10 - 11 kmpl in city driving.... Is it not too low?Hmmmm? I expect something around 12 -13.......then Maruti 800 is the best choice for FE it seems.....my average speed is around 40 -50....

The dealer is not ready to give a report it seems....I got one email saying that they have checked mileage on outskirts of Pune, ( Near Wagholi) and they got around 15.8 kmpl it seems....I asked for a technical report also, means what configuration has been altered after the mileage test results on the machine....The dealer said a detailed technical report can not be given.. I asked for basic test report, in which there is no protected or secret data....now the decision is with GM....

The dealer is saying that they are not able to get a print out from the mileage test machine and that's why they are not able to give the report he told....i don't know how trust worthy they are.....but they said they are ready to come for a joint drive with me to check the mileage....i have not fixed any date for that.......i am going to definitely do that.......

i am bit relaxed after talking to you guys....Great forum to share all our thoughts....

Mod's Note: You seem to be afflicted with the classic newbie malady of making dotty posts. Please understand that posting.... like.... this.... is considered as a violation of the board rules.

We suggest you treat this as a official intimation of the problem with your posting habits and improve on it immediately. Also, do read the board rules (available in Announcements section) before you make the next post.
kums20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 12:30   #35

Thanks for correcting me.No issues. Will abide by the rules of the board.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:35   #36
BHPian

My Sparky has done 6000 km now. I am quite happy with FE.

In bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic, I am getting an avg of 13.25 kmpl with 60% A/c on.

On long drive like Bangalore - Mysore, I am getting 17.5 - 18 kmpl (with constant 80 - 100 kmph speed and 50% A/c)

One thing, I never let the tank empty below 1/4 of capacity. As soon as needle gets near 1/4th mark, I fill up to auto-cut.

Also, I am very perticular about the petrol pump. Earlier, I used fill at Shell. Now that they are unaffordable, I fill at Kaveri pump near Lalbagh.
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 17:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums20 View Post

The dealer is saying that they are not able to get a print out from the mileage test machine and that's why they are not able to give the report he told....i don't know how trust worthy they are.....but they said they are ready to come for a joint drive with me to check the mileage....i have not fixed any date for that.......i am going to definitely do that.......

i am bit relaxed after talking to you guys....Great forum to share all our thoughts....
Kums,

Talera is not a very good dealer. Service standard is pathetic. Try servicing the car at Pashankar (Satara Road or Baner) and see if that makes any difference.

Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 18:44   #38
booobooo

I Test Drove The Car...But Somehow Did Not Find Enough Punch In It As Compared To The Zen Estilo.

Not That It Is Not A Good Car...But I Guess Just A Difference Of Opinion.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:20   #39

Hi,

I will give a try at Pashankar Auto. But during my sales discussion Pashankar was not ready to give any discount, when compared with Talera motors.

It is nice to hear tha Spark is giving a very good mileage. I think my mileage checking method is not proper. I am going to check with Auto cut-off method as sugguested by many of our senior members. Will post the updates regarding the report and the recent FE.
Old 31st July 2008, 19:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi kums20,

> I think majority of the people who own spark are getting a mileage around > 10 - 11 kmpl in city driving.... Is it not too low?Hmmmm? I expect
> something around 12 -13
> my average speed is around 40 -50....

In the June 2007 issue fo Autocar they had a six car shoot out and Spark was one of them.

The city mileage and highway mileage according th them were 10.2 and 15.04 kpl respectively.

Mileage depends upon a lot of parameters and so in a different environment it could be more or less even.

> The dealer is not ready to give a report it seems

Very unlikely to give you one. You should have accompanied for the test.

> but they said they are ready to come for a joint drive with me to check
> the mileage. i have not fixed any date for that. I am going to definitely do > that

Then you could see the 'mileage testing machine' and confirm whether it would give you a printed report!

The following could help you as you don't have a tachometer.

gear rpm kph

2 1000 11.84
2 2000 23.69
2 3000 35.53
2 4000 47.38
2 5000 59.22
2 5500 65.14
3 1000 18.04
3 2000 36.09
3 3000 54.13
3 4000 72.17
3 5000 90.22
3 5500 99.24
4 1000 23.79
4 2000 47.57
4 3000 71.36
4 4000 95.14
4 5000 118.93
4 5500 130.82
5 1000 30.51
5 2000 61.02
5 3000 91.53
5 4000 122.04
5 5000 152.55
5 5500 167.8

These are calculated on the basis of the gear ratios and final drive ratios given in the said report. I have taken the tyre sixe as 155/70R13 as given in the magazine report.

Since maximum torque is produced at a relatively higher RPM (4200), in my opinion it would be a little less efficient in the city cycle.

Generally the 60 kph to 70 kph area gives good mileage but in 5th gear. Try to run as much as possible in higher gears in your driving conditions.

Hope this helps.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 12:17   #41

Hi trrk,
The magazine report must be true then. I would like to visit Talera Motors, for this mileage test purpose atleast. I just wanted to know what they are up to.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply regarding gear ratios and speed. One of my friend in Maruti service says that one needs to worry about FE only after 2000 kms of running(atleast for Maruti vehicles), since there is some calibration set in the ECU regarding engine and fuel mapping. I think that should be true.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:15   #42
BHPian

I test drove a Spark just for fun when I was choosing to buy the UVA and was actually impressed with the silent engine and the quick pickup.
It also seemed larger inside than I imagined!
Nice choice!
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:19   #43
BHPian

Exclamation

@ the spark owners !

I had a test drive of a spark at Bharati Auto , a GM dealer at Andheri (e).
We are planning to buy a second car for city run for my wife. Something which is fuel efficient , with low cost of ownership.
After trying out Alto , Wagon R , Estilo , we checked out Spark.
The space seems every well utilized. Everything seems to well placed , but ingress was little diff. for me ( i am 6 ft. ) but better than Alto.
The car was top end with only 1000 km on the odo.
The engine felt very smooth and we were generally impressed with the car and greatly so keeping in mind the the reduced on road costs.
Only 2 things which bothered me a bit
1) maybe the engine was not yet free considering only 1000 km , but i felt that everytime i would take my foot off the paddle , the car would kind of had a braking effect
. This was a little disturbing as the wagon r , estilo were very free and there was no 'reign i type of effect' in them.As if the engine was underpowered and hampered by the AC.
The acceleration is not at all as free as the maruti tall boys. It felt kind of retarded forward motion.
2) The service road was very bad near the dealership and every time i would hit a pot hole even though very slowly i felt the rear end jumping up after leaving the bad bump almost in the manner of the old 800 ( with leaf springs ) .
Though we could not get a long clear stretch , i could sense that the ride on highway would be far better than the wagon r , estilo , and i would like to buy the car .
But could anybody explain this behavior of the spark?
Would appreciate some insight into this.
thanks
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:05   #44
BHPian

Hi HIGHNOON:

I have done 6700 km on my Sparky.

In 3rd/4th gear at low speeds, It feels underpowered and sluggish when AC is on. But I have never experienced this in 2nd gear or when AC is off.

As for your 2nd problem, may be the road was too bad. Otherwise, as per my experience, Spark has most comfortable rear seat ride in its segment (I have not driven I-10).
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:32   #45
BHPian

Sorry for going off topic but i wish chevy would provide parts for matiz i still have a matiz and in times land up in trouble without parts eg:my hornplate had broke and i had to go to place to find a new one but never found one even in chor bazar .
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote