Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th May 2012, 11:41   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)

Well i have a 1.6 but what i have to say will probably make the 1.2 sound quite promising - the 1.6 returns pretty decent figures

City driving non ac - 7/8 kms daily from home to office through some very congested areas with moderate 'agressiveness' , i always end up with around 13 kmpl ( my average speed is probably only about 20kmph thanks to traffic)

With the AC on the figure drops down to around 12 - 12.5 , yesterday however i took it really easy with the car (shifting at 2000 RPM) and i got a 13.5 by the time i got to office

On highways the 1.6 has given me as much as 18.7-19 KMPL with speeds going upto 100 KMPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hi friends,

I am hooked on to Fabia (for the European looks and German engineering). My only concern is the fuel economy.

I only be driving 20 km a day in city and with weekend + other trips a total running of 10,000 Km a year.

With this short of running is diesel a good option, i think not. So am thinking on 1.2 Petrol.

I an only worried about the fuel efficiency, A$$, the niggling issues if any and any other hidden surprises.

Can any members who own a 1.2 petrol give their views on the same. 1.6 petrol is out of question cause of price.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 15:39   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

I am hooked on to Fabia (for the European looks and German engineering). My only concern is the fuel economy.

I only be driving 20 km a day in city and with weekend + other trips a total running of 10,000 Km a year.

With this short of running is diesel a good option, i think not. So am thinking on 1.2 Petrol.

I an only worried about the fuel efficiency, A$$, the niggling issues if any and any other hidden surprises.

Can any members who own a 1.2 petrol give their views on the same. 1.6 petrol is out of question cause of price.
Hi Manish, I am driving Fabia 1.2 these days. And can very safely say, on the basis of the 4000 kms I have done so far with the Car, if you wish to buy a 1.2 HTP, this is the right time. Squeeze the dealer for the max discount possible, because of the petrol price hike, and enjoy the drive.

A.S.S., IMO is dealer specific. Its good at some dealers and average at some others.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 17:44   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Well i have a 1.6 but what i have to say will probably make the 1.2 sound quite promising - the 1.6 returns pretty decent figures

City driving non ac - 7/8 kms daily from home to office through some very congested areas with moderate 'agressiveness' , i always end up with around 13 kmpl ( my average speed is probably only about 20kmph thanks to traffic)

With the AC on the figure drops down to around 12 - 12.5 , yesterday however i took it really easy with the car (shifting at 2000 RPM) and i got a 13.5 by the time i got to office

On highways the 1.6 has given me as much as 18.7-19 KMPL with speeds going upto 100 KMPH
Thanks for replying, this soothes me a bit. And I am amazed for such a decent mileage from your car when Skoda website lists 14.8 Kmpl. Even the dealer told me of 19.5 Kmpl in one car (1.2 mpi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Hi Manish, I am driving Fabia 1.2 these days. And can very safely say, on the basis of the 4000 kms I have done so far with the Car, if you wish to buy a 1.2 HTP, this is the right time. Squeeze the dealer for the max discount possible, because of the petrol price hike, and enjoy the drive.

A.S.S., IMO is dealer specific. Its good at some dealers and average at some others.

Thanks buddy, so your experience has been good. How has been your fuel average like. As for the A$$ we will come to that later as probably for the first two years I will be mainly oil change. By the way why synthetic oil, any benifit if specially your running is 8-10 k per year ??

I think the HTP version is not available and what I am offered is Active Plus, which is a 1 level above the basic version, comes with power windows, tilt telescopic steering. I am ok with the features or rather lack of it .

I was to buy a i10 however I have changed my mind as i though this is a better ccar and then there are some discounts being promised.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 18:10   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, so your experience has been good. How has been your fuel average like. As for the A$$ we will come to that later as probably for the first two years I will be mainly oil change. By the way why synthetic oil, any benifit if specially your running is 8-10 k per year ??

I think the HTP version is not available and what I am offered is Active Plus, which is a 1 level above the basic version, comes with power windows, tilt telescopic steering. I am ok with the features or rather lack of it .

I was to buy a i10 however I have changed my mind as i though this is a better ccar and then there are some discounts being promised.
I have been using the car regularly for the last one month, and about 1337 kms.

I have been comparing fabia with my Fusion, which I was using earlier.

Mileage has been good. During the previous month, as I wrote above, I drove the car for 1337 odd kms, burning 83.76 ltrs. of petrol, normal petrol, all of it, 100% a.c., (dilli ki garmi, uff.). So, you can see, a mileage of 15.96 kmpl returned.

This is substantially more when compared to the overall mileage of 12.66 kmpl. from the 2021 kms that I reviewed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2792261 (Laal Pari-My new Skoda Fabia Flash Red)

And I think, going by the way the mileage has been going up, and the way the car has softened up, particularly during the latest long drive, the mileage would further go up a bit.

HTP is what 1.2 petrol is referred to by Skoda. Versions are different. Mine is classic, whereafter it was changed to Active and Active Plus.

Fabia certainly is a better car than i10, IMO. It is solid, sturdy, built like a tank, fun to drive, better looking, spacious among other things.

Skoda uses synthetic oil, and oil change is after 15,000 kms. or one year, whichever is earlier. I have used the service only once, that too for washing of car, and unlocking of auto lock, and the experience was satisfactory.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 19:38   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using the car regularly for the last one month, and about 1337 kms.

I have been comparing fabia with my Fusion, which I was using earlier.

Mileage has been good. During the previous month, as I wrote above, I drove the car for 1337 odd kms, burning 83.76 ltrs. of petrol, normal petrol, all of it, 100% a.c., (dilli ki garmi, uff.). So, you can see, a mileage of 15.96 kmpl returned.

This is substantially more when compared to the overall mileage of 12.66 kmpl. from the 2021 kms that I reviewed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2792261 (Laal Pari-My new Skoda Fabia Flash Red)

And I think, going by the way the mileage has been going up, and the way the car has softened up, particularly during the latest long drive, the mileage would further go up a bit.

HTP is what 1.2 petrol is referred to by Skoda. Versions are different. Mine is classic, whereafter it was changed to Active and Active Plus.

Fabia certainly is a better car than i10, IMO. It is solid, sturdy, built like a tank, fun to drive, better looking, spacious among other things.

Skoda uses synthetic oil, and oil change is after 15,000 kms. or one year, whichever is earlier. I have used the service only once, that too for washing of car, and unlocking of auto lock, and the experience was satisfactory.
Even a mileage of 12.66 is good enough considering the weight of the car and a 3 pot motor. Also since the motor was new and yet to open up, we do expect a slight efficiency increase after bedding in.

Your review is great and lists out the exact pros and cons of the fabia. This makes me to buy the Fabia even more, inspite of some flaws like poor service, pricey components and lower fuel efficiency compared to some of the competition.

As for the synthetic Vs normal, I would go for the normal, makes sense. However I have no experience on the Automotive Engine oils to say that.

And Fabia is a notch above, it is just that my family sees a car as point a to point b thing . i10 makes sense for them.

And thanks for clarifying on HTP and Active. I am satisfied with the features offered.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:12   #1731
BHPian

Good read. I am also looking for a Fabia. May be a slightly used one.
What about the spare parts prices for Fabia? Are they significantly higher than other hatchbacks?
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 10:28   #1732
Senior - BHPian

I did not know that the site listed that number , actually to be honest i was not really looking for solid information on it anyway when i made the decision

Owing to a last minute glitch with the cab , 5 people (including me) got into the Fabia yesterday to go to a meeting . First time ever that i have driven with the car packed with so much weight and people. Drove from Okhla to Vasant Kunj at about 2 in the afternoon - 15.6 KMPL , with the ac on at full blast - the traffic ofcourse was less than normal given the time but nevertheless it was a full car being pushed a bit.

Quote:
Thanks for replying, this soothes me a bit. And I am amazed for such a decent mileage from your car when Skoda website lists 14.8 Kmpl. Even the dealer told me of 19.5 Kmpl in one car (1.2 mpi).

puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:07   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Even a mileage of 12.66 is good enough considering the weight of the car and a 3 pot motor. Also since the motor was new and yet to open up, we do expect a slight efficiency increase after bedding in.

Your review is great and lists out the exact pros and cons of the fabia. This makes me to buy the Fabia even more, inspite of some flaws like poor service, pricey components and lower fuel efficiency compared to some of the competition.

As for the synthetic Vs normal, I would go for the normal, makes sense. However I have no experience on the Automotive Engine oils to say that.

And Fabia is a notch above, it is just that my family sees a car as point a to point b thing . i10 makes sense for them.

And thanks for clarifying on HTP and Active. I am satisfied with the features offered.
I have not used the car much. But one thing is certain, the car is very involving. The more I drive it, the better it seems to become. The more comfortable I feel.

The manual specifies synthetic oil. And when you look at the service interval, of one year/15,000 kms. synthetic seems appropriate.

If you compare in terms of cost per service, if one service (Skoda) after 1 year with synthetic oil costs Rs. 5,000-5,500 vis-a-vis 2 services (Other manufacturers) at 10,000 kms./6 months cost Rs. 2,500-3,000 per service, with mineral oil, the cost equals up after one year.

Plus the inconvenience of visiting the A.S.S.-you have to bear once a year in case of a Skoda as against twice in case of other brands.

So, it makes all the more sense.

The fabia is definitely a notch above other cars in the segments.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 10:46   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Good read. I am also looking for a Fabia. May be a slightly used one.
What about the spare parts prices for Fabia? Are they significantly higher than other hatchbacks?
Spares are definitely expensive than the other hatchbacks. And sometimes, some of the parts are not available. I own a 2008 1.4 TDI Elegance. And my engine guard and fender was not available. Every version of this vehicle has some differential parts with improvements so, to get the older one becomes a trouble after a few years.

Neverthless, it is a great performer. Except for after sales service and support.
mikemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 17:39   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I did not know that the site listed that number , actually to be honest i was not really looking for solid information on it anyway when i made the decision

Owing to a last minute glitch with the cab , 5 people (including me) got into the Fabia yesterday to go to a meeting . First time ever that i have driven with the car packed with so much weight and people. Drove from Okhla to Vasant Kunj at about 2 in the afternoon - 15.6 KMPL , with the ac on at full blast - the traffic ofcourse was less than normal given the time but nevertheless it was a full car being pushed a bit.
The figures are impressive, overall now I think is a good car. One of my acquintance works for skoda, let's what he has to say about their own cars .

Quote:
I have not used the car much. But one thing is certain, the car is very involving. The more I drive it, the better it seems to become. The more comfortable I feel.

The manual specifies synthetic oil. And when you look at the service interval, of one year/15,000 kms. synthetic seems appropriate.

If you compare in terms of cost per service, if one service (Skoda) after 1 year with synthetic oil costs Rs. 5,000-5,500 vis-a-vis 2 services (Other manufacturers) at 10,000 kms./6 months cost Rs. 2,500-3,000 per service, with mineral oil, the cost equals up after one year.

Plus the inconvenience of visiting the A.S.S.-you have to bear once a year in case of a Skoda as against twice in case of other brands.

So, it makes all the more sense.

The fabia is definitely a notch above other cars in the segments.
Can I say more on this, no. Truly agree with you. I will also gor for the Lal Pyari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemba View Post
Spares are definitely expensive than the other hatchbacks. And sometimes, some of the parts are not available. I own a 2008 1.4 TDI Elegance. And my engine guard and fender was not available. Every version of this vehicle has some differential parts with improvements so, to get the older one becomes a trouble after a few years.

Neverthless, it is a great performer. Except for after sales service and support.

I knew thsi that their parts are costly, thanks for letting us know.
Old 16th June 2012, 16:02   #1736
BHPian

Hi guys,

It's my first post and wanted to share my views on the Fabia.

I bought a black 2008 made used 1.2Htp version of it a month ago. 30500kms was on the reading when it was handed to me and boy this car grips the road superbly(when compared to the Fiesta I have at home). Returned around 11kms in bumper-bumper Pune city drive and close to 16kmpl with 70% highway driving.

It was due for a service and after so much of research for a good service center in Pune and reviews from fellow bhpians, decided to hand it over to Tune Up Plus in Baner.

They are working on the SF(which I call it) at the moment as I post this. And guys do you think 3Lacs was a good deal for this little hatch?

A click from the recent drive to Shirdi
Name:  ForumRunner_20120616_155634.png
Views: 4857
Size:  309.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120616_155728.png
Views: 4841
Size:  394.3 KB

@TUP

Name:  ForumRunner_20120616_155831.png
Views: 5035
Size:  401.1 KB
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 22:03   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84
Hi guys,

It's my first post and wanted to share my views on the Fabia.

I bought a black 2008 made used 1.2Htp version of it a month ago. 30500kms was on the reading when it was handed to me and boy this car grips the road superbly(when compared to the Fiesta I have at home). Returned around 11kms in bumper-bumper Pune city drive and close to 16kmpl with 70% highway driving.

It was due for a service and after so much of research for a good service center in Pune and reviews from fellow bhpians, decided to hand it over to Tune Up Plus in Baner.

They are working on the SF(which I call it) at the moment as I post this. And guys do you think 3Lacs was a good deal for this little hatch?

A click from the recent drive to Shirdi

@TUP
Seems a very fair price for a 2008 model petrol with 30k on the clock! Its a very solid little car and I also really like the Fabia.
Im seriously thinking of buying one for my folks and upgrading them from their present Turbo Indica. Lets see, since we've spent bombs on doing up the Indica interiors and exteriors to make it far more comfortable than it otherwise was.
The fabia is a very good vehicle indeed. Enjoy it!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 01:37   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Seems a very fair price for a 2008 model petrol with 30k on the clock! Its a very solid little car and I also really like the Fabia.
Im seriously thinking of buying one for my folks and upgrading them from their present Turbo Indica. Lets see, since we've spent bombs on doing up the Indica interiors and exteriors to make it far more comfortable than it otherwise was.
The fabia is a very good vehicle indeed. Enjoy it!
Thanks a lot Balan.

Need some inputs from fellow Fabia owners. Every time the security person at office tries to open the bootlid (not sure why companies don't trust their Employees ), it doesn't open (though the central locking if OFF ) unless I open the door. Is this an issue in my car or has Skoda built it that way? This has been annoying me, will get it done if it's an issue as I'm yet to collect the car from Mr.Lonkar. Please help.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 08:25   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Thanks a lot Balan.

Need some inputs from fellow Fabia owners. Every time the security person at office tries to open the bootlid (not sure why companies don't trust their Employees ), it doesn't open (though the central locking if OFF ) unless I open the door. Is this an issue in my car or has Skoda built it that way? This has been annoying me, will get it done if it's an issue as I'm yet to collect the car from Mr.Lonkar. Please help.
Unfortunately that is how it is built. I too open+shut the driver's door so boot can be opened by security people.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 08:36   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev

Unfortunately that is how it is built. I too open+shut the driver's door so boot can be opened by security people.
Hi guys,
You need to press the central unlock button twice on open to allow them to open the boot from outside. A single press only opens the doors. This programming can be changed to single press unlock through a Vcds you can find someone closeby who has it. I have changed it to single press in my Yeti through Vcds.
Regards
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote