Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th December 2012, 11:16   #1771
BHPian

Gave my Fabia for 1,20,000km service(yeah 1.2lac) today and noticed that the discs had not been replaced ever in the vehicle's lifetime.the advisor was himself surprised and said that discs are replaced around 60k mark. But I doubt his judgement as brake pads usually last around 40 k so the disc should have a much greater life. From my experience of other vehicle's at least 100k Kms.
So couple of days ago the heater warning sign ( engine heating system)started to blink and made me think this time I will get a pretty hefty bill for sure. But to my surprise the reason the warning sign was displayed because both the brake bulbs at rear were fused and needed to be replaced.this was a warning from vehicle which had nothing to do with the engine or the heating system related to engine and was just a way to indicate to replace the bulbs. So any body else who faces the warning lights don't get worried just check the brake lights.
The vehicle in its whole lifetime barring once has been very reliable.the only major component that failed was the radiator fan and according to the service advisor he has replaced a lot of fans lately so the fan seems to be a weak component in a very reliable car.
People with concerns on reliability front towards skoda can be rest assured that Fabia is a pretty reliable car and the service experience though inconsistent has improved leaps in recent times.though skoda will still have to work on to keep the maintainance cost low.
mayank123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:39   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)

I am inclined to believe that , there seems to be a certain higher level of responsiveness from the side of the company as well as the dealership when complaints are logged atleast and i experienced it first hand 2 days ago when i filed one with regard to my Fabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
the service experience though inconsistent has improved leaps in recent times.though skoda will still have to work on to keep the maintainance cost low.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:13   #1773
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
I just took my fabia for its second free (paid ) 30 K Km service. A couple of hours later I get a call saying my disc brakes and brake pads need to be changed. I can understand brake pads. But I thought disc brakes had a longer life. The service coordinator tells me that I might have to shell out about 9000 bucks for the same

Anybody with any experience on that.
Sathya,

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply but I had faced a problem with the brakes since something got stuck in between the disc and brake pad, so I had to change the pads. They wanted to change the disc as well but I told them to just skim the discs. The disc had a bit of scarring visible due to the stone but I'm surprised that they asked you also to change. It can't be routine maintenance because 30k kms is just too less for changing discs ! Skoda service is truly rubbish and the people there don't know anything. I always stand around in the 'shop while work is going on the car despite them trying their best to dissuade me. The car itself is ok but service really leaves a lot to be desired
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 20:58   #1774
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
Gave my Fabia for 1,20,000km service(yeah 1.2lac) today and noticed that the discs had not been replaced ever in the vehicle's lifetime.the advisor was himself surprised and said that discs are replaced around 60k mark. But I doubt his judgement as brake pads usually last around 40 k so the disc should have a much greater life. From my experience of other vehicle's at least 100k Kms.
So couple of days ago the heater warning sign ( engine heating system)started to blink and made me think this time I will get a pretty hefty bill for sure. But to my surprise the reason the warning sign was displayed because both the brake bulbs at rear were fused and needed to be replaced.this was a warning from vehicle which had nothing to do with the engine or the heating system related to engine and was just a way to indicate to replace the bulbs. So any body else who faces the warning lights don't get worried just check the brake lights.
The vehicle in its whole lifetime barring once has been very reliable.the only major component that failed was the radiator fan and according to the service advisor he has replaced a lot of fans lately so the fan seems to be a weak component in a very reliable car.
People with concerns on reliability front towards skoda can be rest assured that Fabia is a pretty reliable car and the service experience though inconsistent has improved leaps in recent times.though skoda will still have to work on to keep the maintainance cost low.

Mayank. Congrats on 120K! Very impressive.

I have a 2008 April TDI ELE still at 42K and excellent @ Chennai. Yes, I had the issue with the fan as well. Expect to keep this equipment for another 50K unless some other impresses me.

Surprisingly my brakes where replaced in 12K service. I guess those are skoda chennai speciality service issues.
mikemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 14:03   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemba

Mayank. Congrats on 120K! Very impressive.

I have a 2008 April TDI ELE still at 42K and excellent @ Chennai. Yes, I had the issue with the fan as well. Expect to keep this equipment for another 50K unless some other impresses me.

Surprisingly my brakes where replaced in 12K service. I guess those are skoda chennai speciality service issues.
Hi mikemba. Good to know that your Fabia is running well. Infact mine is also a elegance diesel bought in April 2009(actually replaced by the company for a malfunctioning petrol elegance ,details are on another thread).
Changing brakes at 12k is utter B.s. ,these brakes are supposed to last at least for 35k and more depending on driving style.
being an elegance you would have the break pad sensor which flashes when the pads are about to be finished.just go by that.
Though maintaining a European brand car is no joke so just keep in mind of future steep service bills.
I have been quoted approx 50k rupees for clutch overhaul for my Fabia whereas my innova which just had a clutch overhaul costed me around 10k Rs. The service guys recommended overhauling some components of my suspension estimating it to be approx60-70k.
I am estimating it will take another 1-1.3 lac rs or so in service/maintenance to keep the vehicle running in good condition for another 50-60k Kms. According to my estimates I have already spent 2lac + rupees in just service and part replacement of Fabia(excluding tires and accessories)

Will now need to look for a non authorized reliable garage for my car in Delhi NCr. any advice guys.
mayank123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 14:28   #1776
BHPian

Hi,
Has anyone on the forum experienced problems with the power windows?
Problem Statement:
Two of the power windows are functioning erratically (operational at some times and non-operational at other times). What could be the possible solutions for this? Is this a known problem with Skoda Fabia?

Suggestions / experiences .
Avid trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 17:42   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Hi , personally not one problem of any kind with the windows during the one year i have had them - the fuses could be one source a loose connection of somekind , however does not sound serious and a visit to the workshop should give you a quick answer and solution i would assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid trekker View Post
Hi,
Problem Statement:
Two of the power windows are functioning erratically (operational at some times and non-operational at other times). What could be the possible solutions for this? Is this a known problem with Skoda Fabia?

Old 29th December 2012, 19:56   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Problem Statement:

I had similar problems this year with three windows- all except the driver's - on my Feb 2011 Fabia. But the windows continued to function from the driver's console. The problem was resolved by replacing the switches on respective doors under warranty. The problem seems to stem from infrequent use of these switches since I drive alone for most part.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 13:05   #1779
BHPian

@Puchoo, Rajcs: Thank you for your feedback.

Visit to the workshop ended with the problem being fixed (new motor & switch replaced @13k incl. labour).

I was told initially that individual switches need to be replaced, but in the end the problem got resolved by replacing the one on the main driver door.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:03   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear it and especially more so given that you seemed to have a good smooth experience with them.

Quote:
@Puchoo, Rajcs: Thank you for your feedback.

Visit to the workshop ended with the problem being fixed (new motor & switch replaced @13k incl. labour).

I was told initially that individual switches need to be replaced, but in the end the problem got resolved by replacing the one on the main driver door.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:09   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
While I am glad that the issue is resolved, doesn't that sound a bit too steep? Almost reminded me of the 450$ that had to be coughed up in Las Vegas for a friend's Beemer 3 that had the motor going kaput.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 18:40   #1782
BHPian

@puchoo : Yes, the overall experience has been good till now baring a couple of small quirks.

@mempheS.D : It is indeed steep. Wish the cost of these accessories also come down even if these events occur rarely.
Old 7th January 2013, 19:15   #1783
BHPian

^^
Try to look for independant garages who may try to 'fix' than 'replace'.
13k for a set of switches is crazy !
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 14:15   #1784
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
Try to look for independant garages who may try to 'fix' than 'replace'.
13k for a set of switches is crazy !
I think the cost included only one (driver door) switch + the new motor. Not sure about the cost of motor, could be high enough, yeah but 13K seems insanely high. Thats the darker side of all European cars, we already knew while making the decision!

A reliable independent garage should be the option for such niggling issues, specially once your vehicle warranty has expired, before that always prefer the company.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 20:36   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
there is a button near the mouth that is meant for air release that when pressed allows extra fuel inside. I had a similar experience once. Run the car till reserve and you will get the extra miles. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Serious ?

I've never seen this one. Do you mind posting a picture of the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
As would i , i plan on taking another look at the manual again later this evening , but i do not even remember a mention of anything like this!
Guys,
I searched the internet, found relevant posts on other forums and people use it for huge top-up but none clarified whether that button is meant for just releasing air or a feature to fill-up extra fuel!

Finally cleared some dust from owner's manual and went through Refuelling section. It is mentioned under the caution points.

!Caution
Quote:
Make sure that the valve is not pressed into the filler tube when inserting the pump nozzle into the filler tube. Otherwise you are unintentionally filling up the volume, which in case of heat can cause an expansion of the fuel. This can lead to an overflow of fuel or damage to parts of the fuel reservoir.
To conclude, its (valve) is meant to release air to free-up some volume for fuel expansion, it should not use to top-up more fuel.
iSpoke is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote