Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th May 2008, 11:28   #241
BHPian

Deepak: The humps 2 and 3 you are talking about are Architecture
marvels, it was designed by the University Architecture folks I guess.

I have gone through that Hump in a Santro, Honda City and Civic. Each time I have got scrapped in the belly. The only way to avoid is to get down from the car and push it over the Hump.

This Hump can scrap even a Lorry I guess.

Bangalore People: Please use this Hump as a reference for any ground clearance check, you can't beat this hump.
mhafeez_13666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:46   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parichay View Post
Thanks netchef. I have ordered grab handles for the rear seats as well. Helps older people step out of the car. Also got the car interiors done up in leather from the dealer itself, it looks pretty good. Will post the pics soon.
parichay: You are welcome. Grab handles are a good idea. Leather is super. Might I ask how much the leather set you back and if it was branded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafeez_13666 View Post
Absolutely! I am just dying to write about it. In fact, I have already written about all the soft features (non mechanical) as draft. .
Was also thinking I will put the review on a youtube and post here.

The On Road Price for Elegance 1.4 Petrol is 8.03 Lakhs.
mhafeez_13666: Ok. Thanks. Youtube would hold a video as well if you could shoot one. I've been trying to get stills of the engine bay so people can comment (or curse) as the case may be .
After all, what's life without a few brickbats to accompany the bouquets?
Looking forward to reading your views, and am sure you've done a fine job of it considering you've worked out a draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJ View Post
NetChef: As i mentioned, this is only on those moments i have to, otherwise, how would you drive? on top gear? not sure how you guys manage this ... i would like to know a better technique here, quoting you a scenario here ...
"Upon hitting a normal (not a worst one where your bottoms get grazed) speed breaker, would you bring the gearbox to 2nd and half depressed or switch to 1st gear."

In my case i perform the a-priori!!!
VKJ: Sir, rule-of-thumb is choose the lower gear if you feel the need to slip the clutch to prevent her jerking or worse, stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
are you talking about the ring road ? you don't have to worry about this i have been through this road in the fabia around twice with four passengers all 80 kilo + on board, no luggages and believe me there is not a slight sign on bottoming out , i don't know about the other roads though
Chetan: thanks, Sir, useful to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Has anyone taken a Fabia on the NICE road? I mean the places where the road doesn't exist. For example the stretch connecting to Bannerghatta road.
CBlazer: Nope, Sir, never done a real bad stretch in her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
i think it will do a top whack of 165 + on NICE road
Seems a walk in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I'm sure it will.

I brought this up because we were discussing the ground clearance. I was particularly talking about stretches where the road has still not been completed. This was just to compare with my experiences with other vehicles.
Anyone done these speeds in the Fabia? I'd love to know how she handles- whether she retains her equanimity, if she's still poised, if she steers as predictably, if she gets nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That is the only "public domain" information derived from VIN. No legitimate website provides more details than these based on VIN. Such sites do come up once in awhile, but they are taken off-line pretty soon. I was lucky enough to use one such site while it was active (Magic.ro - Resources and Information.) that gave me a 4-page report of my car based on VIN alone. Unbelievable.

If you have the patience to type all the 3-digit codes available in your service booklet sticker, you can use the following site for more details:
VW Group Option Codes Decoder
Amazing androdev. Thanks. By the way, what is VIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I am talking about the road which enters the University when you take the right from the University arch, while you are driving towards Mysore on Mysore road. Once you enter the University road, there are around 4 humps, of which, humps no 2 and 3 are really bad. Even if I have even one rear passenger in my car, the bottom scraps. Forget about the luggage.

Also, if any Palio owner is following this thread, I would like them to give their opinion here. That will let me know whether this is a problem specific to my car or whether all Palios scrap their underbelly there.
deepakhon: an acquaintance of mine used to own a Palio, Sir; I shall attempt to get some answers if I can track him down, though I figure the type of engine the Palio loaded would also make a difference to 'bottoming' even if the designers would have compensated for its extra weight via mods to the suspension (for example, I'm sure the 1.9 diesel weighs a heap more than its petrol siblings).
May I be smote if I'm wrong!
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:53   #243
Senior - BHPian

VIN = vehicle id number, or chassis number.. it will be there in ur service booklet.. and near the bottom-left corner of ur front windshield. it begins with TMBBSD for Skoda cars.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:59   #244
BHPian

Quote:
VIN = vehicle id number, or chassis number.. it will be there in ur service booklet.. and near the bottom-left corner of ur front windshield. it begins with TMBBSD for Skoda cars.

Ah, Androdev. Much obliged, Sir. Is it that which the cops had once proposed etching on the windscreen as a deterrent to thieves? The manufacturers now taken the onus of doing it themselves?
Old 8th May 2008, 12:01   #245
BHPian

Quote:

I have gone through that Hump in a Santro, Honda City and Civic. Each time I have got scrapped in the belly. The only way to avoid is to get down from the car and push it over the Hump.

Bangalore People: Please use this Hump as a reference for any ground clearance check, you can't beat this hump.
Ha ha. That's hilarious, Mhafeez.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:21   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hafeez, thanks for your answer.
Those humps indeed are architectural marvels.

My car was rear ended a few months back on hump no 2, while coming back to Mysore road. The guy behind me refused to slow down.

A very similar thing happened when I was coming from Hunsur to Bangalore a few weeks back. There was one mountain of a hump where I had to slow down to a halt. I could see through my rear view mirror that there was a truck racing down. I did not even think twice. I just went over the hump. I could hear the belly being scraped, but it is better than being rear ended I guess. Now a days, I am fearful of slowing down on humps either, after being rear ended. Such is the state of affairs...

Sorry for being terribly off-topic, but I just wanted to get a picture of Fabia's ground clearance and the only reference I had was Palio. Now I have Santro, City and Civic as reference too, thanks to Hafeez
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 13:52   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Hafeez, thanks for your answer.
Those humps indeed are architectural marvels.

My car was rear ended a few months back on hump no 2, while coming back to Mysore road. The guy behind me refused to slow down.

A very similar thing happened when I was coming from Hunsur to Bangalore a few weeks back. There was one mountain of a hump where I had to slow down to a halt. I could see through my rear view mirror that there was a truck racing down. I did not even think twice. I just went over the hump. I could hear the belly being scraped, but it is better than being rear ended I guess. Now a days, I am fearful of slowing down on humps either, after being rear ended. Such is the state of affairs...

Sorry for being terribly off-topic, but I just wanted to get a picture of Fabia's ground clearance and the only reference I had was Palio. Now I have Santro, City and Civic as reference too, thanks to Hafeez
deepakhon: No worries, mate being off topic. One thing almost invariably leads to another.

MHafeez is really funny.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:59   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Ah, Androdev. Much obliged, Sir. Is it that which the cops had once proposed etching on the windscreen as a deterrent to thieves? The manufacturers now taken the onus of doing it themselves?
You are welcome ;-) Not sure about the cops theory, but it is there on the windshield (with a bar code) for easy tracking inside the factory and maybe in workshops equipped with scanners. I am not sure VIN is there on windshield for all cars, but VW group cars have it.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 14:01   #249
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome ;-) Not sure about the cops theory, but it is there on the windshield (with a bar code) for easy tracking inside the factory and maybe in workshops equipped with scanners. I am not sure VIN is there on windshield for all cars, but VW group cars have it.
Ok. Lovely. These Germans are precise.
Old 8th May 2008, 14:06   #250

Quote:
"Watch this space"
I'm starting with that caveat as there isn't much to the ownership to review :-) as yet. The car is but a week old and has 156 kms on the odometer- almost a splurge, an indulgence in distance driven?

I'd been planning to buy my parents a Swift diesel but dropped the idea when I learned of the waiting period. That really was my budget sweet spot as well, but I was forced to look at other options...so I went and kicked the tyres of the Logan Diesel, and nearly put my money down for the top of the line ver at 7.75 lakhs, on road, Bangalore. Seemed a decent drive, an honest machine, and with Renault genes- held a lot of promise.

Fact is my dad's first car (around 50 years ago) was a Renault, so the sentiment too was in favour. The Skoda just WAS NOT in my consideration set as I thought she'd be way out of budget. But the Skoda showroom is 2 roads away frm my office, and I just couldn't resist the temptation of wandering by for a dekko.

Turns out I was pleasantly surprised. I def cld not afford the top of the line Fabia with sunroof and projector lights and park sensors and heaps of gizmos at 9.13 lakhs on road, but I certainl cld the base ver. Thrilled. Skoda is a renowned brand. The Octi etc have done well for themselves and the Co. She is the only car to come with double galvanized body...and at 7.57 I got dual air bags, power steering/windows, a cd sys all in all a decent deal, I thought.

The folks were blown away, so that's a good thing. She starts and runs smoothly, and though the diesel powerplant makes it clear it's nothing but oil burner- except when she's loaded, the cabin carries superior NVH refinement and one never strains to hear the music trickling out from the CD player or radio (with the folks on board, Ozzy Osbourne and Led Zepp are ditched for the esoteric, low key Chopin or John Williams :-)).

Spare prices is an issue, but fingers crossed.
Congrats on the buy mate. And at the cost of repetition every one is waiting for more reviews on mileage etc. buddy.
maverick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 14:20   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick74 View Post
Congrats on the buy mate. And at the cost of repetition every one is waiting for more reviews on mileage etc. buddy.
Thank-you, Sir.
I've got the 1000 km mark lurking 'round the corner, so I guess it's time to pull out the measuring tape, calculator, sextant, water diviner etc.
Old 8th May 2008, 15:51   #252
BHPian

Quote:
parichay: You are welcome. Grab handles are a good idea. Leather is super. Might I ask how much the leather set you back and if it was branded?
The skoda showroom in Cochin has a tieup with stanley. Cost me about 25K for the seats, door pads, gear lever and handbrake. I did not get the steering wheel done since it would have added about 4k to the cost and my father does not drive.
parichay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 17:33   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The skoda showroom in Cochin has a tieup with stanley. Cost me about 25K for the seats, door pads, gear lever and handbrake. I did not get the steering wheel done since it would have added about 4k to the cost and my father does not drive.
Could you post some pics ) Would be nice to see a how good Stanley looks inside of this car.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 19:56   #254
BHPian

Quote:

parichay: That's a reasonable price parichay and where I'm coming from is I paid nearly 5K for my HiDesign jacket that has but a fraction of the leather. Besides, I'd no clue Stanley operated as far as Cochin. The gent who owns Stanley rides with our group and will be happy to know he's done a Fabia.
Bit expensive for me, sad to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Could you post some pics ) Would be nice to see a how good Stanley looks inside of this car.
I second that joslicx. What colour? Oops, redundant if you post pics as we'll be able to see for ourselves.
Old 8th May 2008, 20:36   #255
VKJ
BHPian

Guys pls. suggest which is a better option for the Sun film.
1. V-cool for the front windshield and Llumar for the sides and rear.
2. Llumar for all sides.
3. Installation at the dealer's place versus any other authorized v-cool/Llumar dealer(Infracool;Tintmart...) P.S. I am thinking that the rear side has the defogger, so if something goes wrong (God forbid....Touchwood) i can hold the dealer responsible. I am not sure who does the installation job, it will be mostly done by the dealer's service guy trained for this i supposedly think so...
4. Regarding floor mats, which is better in terms of durability and maintenance? Fabric or Rubber
5. Whether to go for sill stripes or not? how useful are they?
6. Any other protective stripes to go for like door/bumper/sides?
Thanks so much....
VKJ is offline   Reply With Quote