Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st May 2008, 12:09   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Not sure if I asked this before, but does anyone find the rear door locks (or the lack of it) an issue?

When I had a look at the Elegance (comes with central locking), I felt the arrangement was a bit unsafe. Two tugs at the door open/close lever unlocks the doors even though the driver may have engaged the central locking.
Good point there. I never thought about it. They seem to have forgotten children.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:13   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Good point there. I never thought about it. They seem to have forgotten children.
Read your manual, you can disable the rear doors using the key. You need to open the door and insert key into latch mechanism (at least in the Octy!)
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:19   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Read your manual, you can disable the rear doors using the key. You need to open the door and insert key into latch mechanism (at least in the Octy!)
That sounds like Greek to me, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:42   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That sounds like Greek to me, but I'll take your word for it.
It was in legible english, however, rather that talk greek, a picture says a thousand words
Name:  DSC_0176.JPG
Views: 3457
Size:  52.1 KB
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 14:48   #350
BHPian

Quote:
The child lock that you are referring to exists even in the Fabia.

But I was referring to the lack of internal door locks at the rear in general. Many cars have central locking, child locks and also have an option of a manual lock in the rear doors.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 15:26   #351
BHPian

Default need help

well did 360 kms till now in the car. there is an issue my cars FE is just 8.5 kmpl. i was shocked last week when i filled my tank full and calculted the FE. i also spoke to dealer and i am sending it for a general checkup.

the other thing is the tank capacity for the car is 46 litres but yesterday the fuel meter indicator shows that in 50 litres the tank was full. and when i enquired the bunk guy says that generally the tank catches more apart from the printed capacity. i was kinda shocked and confused. i need some advice on this

ronny
ronnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:36   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyquest View Post
well did 360 kms till now in the car. there is an issue my cars FE is just 8.5 kmpl. i was shocked last week when i filled my tank full and calculted the FE. i also spoke to dealer and i am sending it for a general checkup.

the other thing is the tank capacity for the car is 46 litres but yesterday the fuel meter indicator shows that in 50 litres the tank was full. and when i enquired the bunk guy says that generally the tank catches more apart from the printed capacity. i was kinda shocked and confused. i need some advice on this

ronny
Hi Ronny...8.5 seems to be shocking by any standards...but are you sure that when u started off, u had a full tank..I presume u would have had only about half a tank (courtesy, the dealer). Do not worry too much until u have done one complete full tank to full tank...should definitely take u upwards of 600kms more....

Quote:
The child lock that you are referring to exists even in the Fabia.

But I was referring to the lack of internal door locks at the rear in general. Many cars have central locking, child locks and also have an option of a manual lock in the rear doors.
CBlazer: I get what u r referring to..instead of a additional manual lock, Fabia has this double pull mechanism to open the doors (in case child lock is off)...but IMO, this is more than sufficient becoz of two reasons:
1. If u have a child who travels with you often, then u wouldnt risk keeping the child lock off at any time.
2. Also, I felt that the Fabia doors are nothing less than that of a battletank's!!My wife & dad finds it hard to push the door out even after opening the lock...compared to my earlier Accent and most of the hatchbacks in the market today..where the doors are not so solid (with all due respect to all the non-Fabia fans out there)....so my 2 yr old kid wont be able to even budge it a millimeter....but having said that, I wud still keep the child locks (and the seatbelts, of course) on...everytime...all the time.....

BTW, I crossed the 2,000km mark this weekend as I drove across the state in heavy rains....believe me, the landscapes were breathtaking...and I still bang my head for forgetting to carry that digicam with me..the one's taken with my mobile are not worthy of being posted in this holy site...the FE came down drastically to just 16+ for the trip..however, I thanked the Czechs for giving me those heated ORVMs...one thing I always cursed while driving in the rains in those pre-Fabia days...
rakesh_raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:50   #353
BHPian

Quote:
I felt that the Fabia doors are nothing less than that of a battletank'...
There are other hatches with tank-like doors, among other tank-like things.

Quote:
I thanked the Czechs for giving me those heated ORVMs...
Now, that is a feature that must be real useful.
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:34   #354
BHPian

Good to read most owners impressions. I would be receiving my 1.4MPi Elegance model tomorrow. Cannot wait!
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 06:26   #355
ssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
Good to read most owners impressions. I would be receiving my 1.4MPi Elegance model tomorrow. Cannot wait!
Waiting for a user review of 1.4 MPi, hope to hear it first from you.
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:36   #356
BHPian

Quote:
It was in legible english, however, rather that talk greek, a picture says a thousand words
Attachment 18077
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyquest View Post
ronny
Some miscalculation no doubt. Don't worry yourself.

[quote=rakesh_raja;
BTW, I crossed the 2,000km mark this weekend as I drove across the state in heavy rains....believe me, the landscapes were breathtaking...and I still bang my head for forgetting to carry that digicam with me..the one's taken with my mobile are not worthy of being posted in this holy site......[/quote]

Sir, what a pity. God's Own Country looks even more inviting in the wet.
I myself hit the 1500 mark yesterday, and you chaps can expect a full report as soon as I get a breather.

Quote:

Congrats. And welcome to Team_BHP. We cannot wait for your FIR (First Information Report).
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:24   #357

Thumbs up

Quote:
nk1969: Your first post!! Welcome, Sir, and thanks for bringing your Fabia story to The Team. See if it's possible to shoot and upload some pics of your machine as most people find a story incomplete without the visual element.

Your bit about the rear speakers fitted in the rear doors is a revelation as I'd no idea it could be done or that Skoda designed and sold speakers for the specific purpose. Valid point not wanting to mess with the parcel tray.

Tyre bubble: that's a weird one and it's fortunate for you that you caught it. From day one, the tyre brand the Fabia sported didn't go down too well. However, I tried to give it/them the beneft of the doubt and ascribed my unease to pure psychology.

Th A/C: well, we'll watch out all right. The bloody A/C is -for me- the prime USP of a car- and should it hiccup, I'd go daft. I can't fathom what the rustling sound in your steering mechanism is, but perhaps you'll get lucky and have someone on the forum pipe up with a solution- you'll be amazed at the quantum of knowledge running around in these chapters.

Take care. Drive safe.

And pics PLEASE.
RG
Thanks netchef. Great thread we have going on here. I crossed 3000 kms last week while visiting my parents in Kerala. Little bit about my drive there (about 420km from Bangalore) - the car was rock solid driving at speeds of 120-150kmph - no vibrations, no shaking etc. In fact I had to look at the tacho to see how fast I am going (I used to drive a Scorpio so you know why this car is almost from another planet for me ) and also from my wife getting on my case occassionally that I am going too fast ..

The ABS is absolutely fabulous - I came to a dead halt from 140 to 0 in about 80+meters - thanks to some moron driving a govt vehicle on "election duty". what can you do?

FE - around 17kmpl with a/c on driving through highways and mountain roads and small towns etc. But I get only around 13 kmpl in Bangalore - thanks to the lovely BLR roads and traffic!!

Ride comfort: top class. i thought scorpio driver and passenger seats were very comfortable but this came very close. I have two kids and they were quite comfy in the back seats albeit in their child seat and the booster seats respectively.

All in all I came to like the car more in the last 2 weeks during this trip - but I really, really wish that this baby had one more cylider and maybe 15-20 more bhp of power and more low end torque.. not that it matters much on the highway but in the city yes - especially when you see some mopeds and autos gaining on you even for a few fleeting seconds no matter how fast you shift.

I strongly recommend some good sunfilm installed in the car especially the front wind shield which makes a huge difference.

Anyone thinking of fitting a pete's tuning box on their fab baby?? I would love to hear about it..

Again guys drive safe and enjoy your Fabia. Take a long drive and check her out.. she's a little overpriced but you tend to forget that fast

Ciao!
~nk
nk1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:40   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
easy way to mask your number plate.

I assume you use windows.
open the image in MS Paint. (Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories)
in the tools you will find a air brush, it looks like a spray can.
choose that and color away where you want.

save your modified picture.
hey, why are we supposed to mask numbers when we are posting our car's pics?
sorry for my ignorance!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:27   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Do keep us updated on your experiences. Haven't seen a 1.4 MPi on road so far, except for a demo car.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 14:03   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post
Thanks netchef. Great thread we have going on here. I crossed 3000 kms last week while visiting my parents in Kerala. Little bit about my drive there (about 420km from Bangalore) - the car was rock solid driving at speeds of 120-150kmph - no vibrations, no shaking etc. In fact I had to look at the tacho to see how fast I am going (I used to drive a Scorpio so you know why this car is almost from another planet for me ) and also from my wife getting on my case occassionally that I am going too fast ..

The ABS is absolutely fabulous - I came to a dead halt from 140 to 0 in about 80+meters - thanks to some moron driving a govt vehicle on "election duty". what can you do?

FE - around 17kmpl with a/c on driving through highways and mountain roads and small towns etc. But I get only around 13 kmpl in Bangalore - thanks to the lovely BLR roads and traffic!!

Ride comfort: top class. i thought scorpio driver and passenger seats were very comfortable but this came very close. I have two kids and they were quite comfy in the back seats albeit in their child seat and the booster seats respectively.

All in all I came to like the car more in the last 2 weeks during this trip - but I really, really wish that this baby had one more cylider and maybe 15-20 more bhp of power and more low end torque.. not that it matters much on the highway but in the city yes - especially when you see some mopeds and autos gaining on you even for a few fleeting seconds no matter how fast you shift.

I strongly recommend some good sunfilm installed in the car especially the front wind shield which makes a huge difference.

Anyone thinking of fitting a pete's tuning box on their fab baby?? I would love to hear about it..

Again guys drive safe and enjoy your Fabia. Take a long drive and check her out.. she's a little overpriced but you tend to forget that fast

Ciao!
~nk
nk1969:

Sir, lovely report. Keep them coming, and pictures to add those thousand words, please.

You're right about that fourth cylinder. It's psychological for me, but 3 is a very odd number. Good for a tango. OK for a Jota. Passable for a clover. But anathema on a Czech/German car. Sigh.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll release a 1.9 diesel soon (and chiefly that I'll have the money for one!).

I bet you're the first -and will be for a very long time- to move to a Fabia from a Scorpio: Big category hop, and must have been a leap of faith initially?

take care,
RG
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey, why are we supposed to mask numbers when we are posting our car's pics?
sorry for my ignorance!
raj_5004:
Not necessary in my opinion, Sir. my own car is posted with the plates shouting from the rooftops. If you value you privacy, it would help, though. But we have gentlemen on the Forum. Mostly.

Quote:
Congrats! Do keep us updated on your experiences. Haven't seen a 1.4 MPi on road so far, except for a demo car.
CBlazer: I second that, Sir. Both.