Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th June 2008, 17:31   #391
BHPian

Default On the record, off the record?

TAFE says there aren't any plans (they know of) to discontinue the 1.4 petrol. According to them, Skoda is intent on 'improving' the engines, and currently there is a simple short supply of these cars from the factory.

It's either that straightforward or there's an element of wool.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 21:22   #392

SSM:

Sorry for the unintentional scare - i hope you have a great ownership experience with the 1.4 petrol Fabia !

NetChef:
First of all good to know you sir , your words of appreciation make me feel more welcome :-) !

Rakesh_raja: Thanks for the haggling tips, Mahavir has a monopoly here in hyderabad and I am sure will give me a hard time !

As for me, I am caught in two minds, While I have been impressed by the diesel Fabia, the whole point of going in for the petrol was to take advantages of more powerful and a quieter engine but apart from the noise factor not sure if there is too much to choose from between both the engines in terms of performance - and of course the diesel is a more sober drinker and buys the cheaper drink too !

I have to figure out which is the better buy between both of them. how much more expensive would maintaining a diesel mean as in : do those synthetic lubes cost a bomb ? changing oil filters and such stuff. would be great to get answers to these questions !
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:58   #393
ssm

Hi Board,

I just spoke to my dealer. He has withheld the delivery as per instructions from Skoda. It seems Skoda is doing some modifications to the petrol versions to suit Indian conditions and he cannot commit the delivery rightnow.

Let's see, he's gonna get back by today evening regarding the delivery schedule. I'll keep the board updated.

I'll be great if some one else also confirms the same from their respective dealers
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 18:39   #394

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been reading a lot though, since the last 2-3 weeks, especially this thread. All your positive reports about the Skoda Fabia prompted me to book a white 1.4 MPI. The reason for 1.4 was because there is no Elegance trim in the 1.2. I test drove all 3 variants. Found the diesel to be a little too noisy for my liking. Since it will be me driving the car and I'm "upgrading" from a Honda City I wanted a smoother drive.

I would like to ask a few questions though. My dealer Acumen Motors in Pune told me that he would be able to deliver the car in exactly 1 week from the time he receives full payment. Whereas the other dealers all over Mumbai told me a delivery period of 4 weeks. Does this is any way seem fishy to you guys?

Also the last few posts have some reports about the 1.4 delivery that don't exactly instill a lot of confidence in me about Skoda dealerships. (I don't doubt the car in anyway though, I drove it!)

I have paid the booking amount. Will be going to drop off the balance amount in the next few days. There is no way that I will ever cancel, this is the car I want and I want it soon.

But somehow I feel a bit worried.
SidMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 00:04   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
TAFE says there aren't any plans (they know of) to discontinue the 1.4 petrol. According to them, Skoda is intent on 'improving' the engines, and currently there is a simple short supply of these cars from the factory.

It's either that straightforward or there's an element of wool.
Netchef: Improve their engines they should. The 1.4 MPI doesn't feel anywhere close to the speced power/torque figures. I was impressed by the car except for the engine - doesn't feel like a petrol(sounds like one though). No idea what they plan to 'improve' - hopefully they can do something about the low-end torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm View Post
Hi Board,

I just spoke to my dealer. He has withheld the delivery as per instructions from Skoda. It seems Skoda is doing some modifications to the petrol versions to suit Indian conditions and he cannot commit the delivery rightnow.

Let's see, he's gonna get back by today evening regarding the delivery schedule. I'll keep the board updated.

I'll be great if some one else also confirms the same from their respective dealers
If Skoda plans to withhold the delivery, they better inform you in writing. It's the least a "premium" car company can do for you. Don't accept any word of mouth assurances from the dealer.

Modifications to suit Indian conditions shouldn't be an after thought. Didn't they realise this before the launch? I thought they would have done plenty of kms of road tests. But in any case, engine improvements should mean that they are serious about selling petrol cars in India.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 11:52   #396
ssm

The dealer updated me and gave a delivery waiting period of atleast 6 weeks. Said I will receive an official email afterwards. And that all the petrols sold till now will also be modified.

Can some petrol owners confirm the same.
Old 15th June 2008, 06:55   #397
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer updated me and gave a delivery waiting period of atleast 6 weeks. Said I will receive an official email afterwards. And that all the petrols sold till now will also be modified.

Can some petrol owners confirm the same.

ssm: I got a courtesy call from one of the local dealers yesterday because I had expressed interest in the Fabia 1.4 MPI sometime ago. These guys are still denying that there are any modifications planned.

I'll be watching out for some actual news from Skoda. If they do in fact plan any modifications, I'm going to get back to the dealer about what I think about his claims and promises.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 12:22   #398

Welcome to the world of Fabia and netchef....I am also from Hyderabad and didn't get anything free other than full tank. Anyways I didn't argur much on this front.
However, from the Sales perspective I would say it was ok, nothing good and nothing bad either. If you have visited some other car showrooms like Chevy,Hyundai...then forget about the kind of importance and follow up you get...they make you feel like a king (at least till the point you purchase the vehicle). Here with Mahavir you will feel that its only you who is interested in purchasing the vehicle.
In short, I suggest go with low expectations and you will not feel hurt

Let me know if you need any other specific info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
Hi Folks,

Just joined the team-bhp forum - Had to pour out my Fabia story here, please bear with the long post !! Actually I have been an avid reader of this forum for a long time - Team-Bhp helped me upgrade from an Alto to a Fiat Petra 1.6 EL in 2004 and what a fantastic buy it was indeed! With Fiat service getting worse in Hyderabad, I am on the lookout to buy a more fuel efficient, safe and modern car. Ever since I have seen the Fabia, I have taken a strong liking to it. Even my wife, who disapproves of cars which don't have a boot, has taken a liking to its top-notch interiors. (I also pointed out to her the 300 liter boot that the Fabia came with )

Having test driven a number of cars in the 6-8 lac range I ended up disqualifying them for various reasons. we can talk about it some other time....It turned out finally into a toss up between the petrol or diesel Fabia. Last week Mahavir motors at Hyderabad invited me over for a test drive, the first shocker from them was that the 1.4 MPI 16v is no longer available, I am still not sure if that is true, can some one confirm? The salesman told me something about the 1.4 MPI needing higher octane petrol which is not available here. Not sure if Skoda India detuned this engine to suit Indian fuel standards.

I drove the 1.2 HTP which is surprisingly adequately equipped for city driving. It looks small and cute on the outside, but it is only when you reverse this car that you start noticing it is much longer than the other popular hatches . The 1.2 engine seemed rev happy and nice to drive, but keeping the small 70 bhp engine in mind I could feel that it is going to run out of breath when you need to cruise at higher speeds on the highway and during overtaking. All in all, looks like the 1.2 is going to find a niche audience.

The 1.4 TDI was the one I drove next, doing the math with the heavy weight and 68 bhp I was actually expecting the engine to be sluggish. As soon as I started the engine I could hear the diesel clatter inside the cabin, the noise is quite loud initially, and takes a while to get used to and almost drowned down after I started driving. Once started the car starts moving gently at the lower RPMs (~2000 rpm) once you cross that mark there is a surprising amount of torque and power available and it pulls really well and fast! I had experienced a similar feeling with the Hyundai Verna which I had driven a while back, but I felt the turbo lag was more noticeable in the Verna than here.

After the test drive I parked the test drive car and tried noticing how loud the engine was , it was noisy but then I just noticed a diesel Laura that pulled by Ė itís engine was equally if not more noisy Ė looks like a family trait !.

In conclusion, apart from the noise of the diesel clatter, itís a great car. I like the elegant trim with all the goodies -almost makes you feel like you are in a D-segment car. In my opinion, no other car on the lower side of ten lakhs is built so well - actually I wish Honda had built the City like this one and priced it competently. I even tried reasoning that this is an expensive car, but I really canít find a similar spec. car with these features.

Looks like it will be the Tangerine orange diesel Fabia then. Have to try haggling with the dealer who as of now is not willing to give even a rupee of discount. It would be really helpful to get some advice on that matter from those of you have gone through the Fabia ownership experience.

Regards,
Dharma
amit_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 18:44   #399

Friends,

Thanks for the tips, Amit. Just back from the Skoda showroom after confirming my booking for the fabia diesel elegance. As expected best I could get was a tank full of fuel. Its probably going to take a month's time for the vehicle to get delivered.

I asked for some of the following to be given as free accessories but no luck, so i have to pay to get these:
Mud flaps set (Rs. 3000/- )
Floor mats set ( Rs. 3000/-)
Extra horn (1500/- ) - the current one is too shrill.

What do you folks think about the prices ?! surely on the higher side for me.

The other things that I am planning to add:

good quality seat covers - considering leather.
4 more speakers, the dealer does not have them , I am considering sourcing the speakers from accessory shops but also worried about messing with factory fitted internal wiring, tips from any one who has already attempted this would greatly help !
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 21:51   #400
BHPian

I am thinking of getting the 1.4 TDi but couple of things are nagging me..

1. 3 cylinder engine - Engine noise quite high in cabin when driving on empty roads and highways. Vibrations are definitely higher.. but not that bad.
2. Audio system - Cannot add rear speakers as it will void the warranty !!!
3. Projector headlights - Still uses the regular halogen bulbs.. not the HID's
4. Fuel - Lid says no Bio diesel !!! What would happen if Govt decides to go this way?
5. Spare wheel is on steel rims.. Doesnt help with tyre rotations.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 09:44   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
Mud flaps set (Rs. 3000/- )
Floor mats set ( Rs. 3000/-)
Extra horn (1500/- ) - the current one is too shrill.
!
Price quote from Chennai's Gurudev motors.

Mud flaps: Rs. 1620
Floor Mats: Rs. 2060
Sun control (3M ST Series): Rs. 3500

When I enquired about the 1.4 Petrol engine issues, the sales person had no idea about that. He wait the waiting period for 1.4 petrol is 4-6 weeks.

Regards
Mahesh S
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 10:23   #402
ssm

Default High Octane petrol requirements

Hi,

Did some research

here are compression ratios of the engines of a few vehicles

Maruti Swift - 9.0:1
Skoda Fabia Petrol - 10.5:1
Mercedes Benz S class - 10.7:1

I have googled to find out that higher the compression ratio higher should be the Octane rating of the petrol used.
The European Brochure of Fabia says it required petrol of RON 95.

What is the Octane rating of the Indian petrol. Does Speed or Power have a higher octane rating. If yes what is it. Will these premium fuels satisfy the Octane requirements of Fabia.

If such good quality petrol is not available how will use of low octane petrol affect the performance and engine life of Fabia

Can u experts throw some light on the above issues
Old 16th June 2008, 11:20   #403
BHPian

Default Query on Fabia

I am curious to get answers to an observation on Fabia tail lamp - haven't seen it on this definitive Fabia discussion earlier

The left tail lamp of Fabia has a plain strip about 3 - 5 cm below the lane change indicator. There's a red indicator for tail lamp, a red indicator to indicate braking and a yellow indicator for changing lanes and then this - haven't seen it lit so far. This strip is not there on the right tail lamp.

I first noticed it when following a Fabia, and then saw it on all Fabias.

Any answers?

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 16th June 2008 at 11:25.
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 11:28   #404
BHPian

Dharma

ssm

SidMeer:
Welcome, Sir.
Glad you stopped by. You'll find dyed-in-the-wool enthusiasts here, true-blue Fabia clansmen, and heaps of folk savvy about everything from engines to car entertainment.

Welcome to the Fabia Romance. We hope you'll add your story.
RG

CBlazer

amit_mind;866743]Welcome to the world of Fabia and netchef....

Sir, tis as much your world as mine, but thanks.
Dharma

harishsegar

Gentlemen: I was out of town for just 2 days and I've missed so much. Good to see. BTW I was in Pune and didn't spy a single Fabia, but it could be because I was indoors for much of the time and, when I did go out, it was via a quick arterial road almost straight out of town.
Sorry, don't have the bandwidth to get into individual responses, so my blanket post will have to be excused.

For the gent considering leathers- good idea. Bit hot if you're in a spa-city like Chennai or Hyderabad, but sexy. Very classy.
For the ICE: I've been hearing that the Fabia has no provision to plug in rear speakers, AND if you do, the warranty is voided. Is there a variance in what individual dealers are saying?
Old 16th June 2008, 14:26   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Did some research

here are compression ratios of the engines of a few vehicles

Maruti Swift - 9.0:1
Skoda Fabia Petrol - 10.5:1
Mercedes Benz S class - 10.7:1

I have googled to find out that higher the compression ratio higher should be the Octane rating of the petrol used.
The European Brochure of Fabia says it required petrol of RON 95.

What is the Octane rating of the Indian petrol. Does Speed or Power have a higher octane rating. If yes what is it. Will these premium fuels satisfy the Octane requirements of Fabia.

If such good quality petrol is not available how will use of low octane petrol affect the performance and engine life of Fabia

Can u experts throw some light on the above issues
ssm: Hello. I don't count as one of the experts, but I believe the standard Indian petrol is 87 octane.

Yes, Speed and Power and others vary between 91 and 97 octane. I've heard that the modern 'performance' engines work better with a higher octane fuel- you'll certainly get less tendency to pinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
I am curious to get answers to an observation on Fabia tail lamp - haven't seen it on this definitive Fabia discussion earlier

The left tail lamp of Fabia has a plain strip about 3 - 5 cm below the lane change indicator. There's a red indicator for tail lamp, a red indicator to indicate braking and a yellow indicator for changing lanes and then this - haven't seen it lit so far. This strip is not there on the right tail lamp.

I first noticed it when following a Fabia, and then saw it on all Fabias.

Any answers?

Cheers,
diffsoft: That, Sir, is the lone reversing light the Fabia is supplied with. We discussed it earlier on in this thread when I and some others had the sinking feeling that one reversing light had fused. Pity, really, but that's how it is. The Euro types think one should suffice. Maybe we can infer from it that they have better standard streetlighting than in other parts of this lonely planet. Lonely and dim.

Also, the diesel Fabia says 'No BioDiesel' which poses another set of problems when our Government decides a portion of our fuel must come from onions and potatoes or at least from left overs of fish and chips. That's when our goose will be cooked!