Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 14:43   #406
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
Friends,

Thanks for the tips, Amit. Just back from the Skoda showroom after confirming my booking for the fabia diesel elegance. As expected best I could get was a tank full of fuel. Its probably going to take a month's time for the vehicle to get delivered.

I asked for some of the following to be given as free accessories but no luck, so i have to pay to get these:
Mud flaps set (Rs. 3000/- )


mats set ( Rs. 3000/-)
Extra horn (1500/- ) - the current one is too shrill.

What do you folks think about the prices ?! surely on the higher side for me.

The other things that I am planning to add:

good quality seat covers - considering leather.
4 more speakers, the dealer does not have them , I am considering sourcing the speakers from accessory shops but also worried about messing with factory fitted internal wiring, tips from any one who has already attempted this would greatly help !

Dont spend so much on mud flaps, I got it outside for 700 and think its of reasonable quality. However you can purchase floor mats from the showroom as I find them of quite good quality.
You know when I asked them about the side bidding they said it costs 7500
. I got it for 800 bucks from outside market.

For speakers, I inquired with them and they said it is in transit and should be available in two weeks time. Not sure how much that will cost though. But if you get it done outside, the warranty will go away and I dont think thats a wise idea , at least for Skoda products
amit_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 15:55   #407
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Skoda rants and raves

I've been following this thread regularly over the 28 pages of posts, and looking back, it seems it's only the inherent strengths of the car that is keeping sales ticking over - the dealers and manufacturer have no positive role to play.

I thought of switching from my 2001 Palio, but the prices and the general customer experience so far with Skoda has left a bad taste that will take some removing.

I decided to take my chances instead with the competition that ran on the Fabia feel special website, which promised a Fabia as a prize.
Did what was required, submitted on time after registering and waited for the results ( due March 1 on the website).
What do you know? The competition site has been pulled, no results have been announced even three months after they were due, and folks in Skoda PR / Marketing at Aurangabad feign ignorance that there even was a competition! When pressed, they take contact information and promise to get back.

I should have guessed this is how Skoda makes you feel special when they sent me an invite to a special preview before the car was available at the dealers, and this invitation didn't mention a date or place. Calling the local dealers met with blanks as to what it was about. They had no clue!

Reading about Skoda's shenanigans, I do not trust myself to go out and buy this car, whatever its strengths, if it cannot be backed up by a solid customer experience. Having waited for two years for the palio and then plonking a premium down for what was a good car backed by rotten customer service, I am once bitten and twice shy. Never again.

Feel special? Not a chance, Skoda.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 16:29   #408
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mind View Post
Dont spend so much on mud flaps, I got it outside for 700 and think its of reasonable quality. However you can purchase floor mats from the showroom as I find them of quite good quality.
You know when I asked them about the side bidding they said it costs 7500
. I got it for 800 bucks from outside market.

For speakers, I inquired with them and they said it is in transit and should be available in two weeks time. Not sure how much that will cost though. But if you get it done outside, the warranty will go away and I dont think thats a wise idea , at least for Skoda products
Thanks. Any tips on a Bumper Strip? Our car tends to scrape or run very close to scraping the gate at home, and I figured a 1" x 1' rubberised strip will protect the bumpers even though it might ruin the aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I've been following this thread regularly over the 28 pages of posts, and looking back, it seems it's only the inherent strengths of the car that is keeping sales ticking over - the dealers and manufacturer have no positive role to play.

I thought of switching from my 2001 Palio, but the prices and the general customer experience so far with Skoda has left a bad taste that will take some removing.

I decided to take my chances instead with the competition that ran on the Fabia feel special website, which promised a Fabia as a prize.
Did what was required, submitted on time after registering and waited for the results ( due March 1 on the website).
What do you know? The competition site has been pulled, no results have been announced even three months after they were due, and folks in Skoda PR / Marketing at Aurangabad feign ignorance that there even was a competition! When pressed, they take contact information and promise to get back.

I should have guessed this is how Skoda makes you feel special when they sent me an invite to a special preview before the car was available at the dealers, and this invitation didn't mention a date or place. Calling the local dealers met with blanks as to what it was about. They had no clue!

Reading about Skoda's shenanigans, I do not trust myself to go out and buy this car, whatever its strengths, if it cannot be backed up by a solid customer experience. Having waited for two years for the palio and then plonking a premium down for what was a good car backed by rotten customer service, I am once bitten and twice shy. Never again.

Feel special? Not a chance, Skoda.

crackingride:
Sir, it might sound crazy but it's nice to have a naysayer among the ranks. There was a time the posts got so honey-soaked and smarmy, people began to think I was being paid in Czech Ducats, so it's a welcome break to have someone with a contrary reaction.
I'm genuinely sorry about your experience and it shows obvious chinks in their machinery- IMO the car is good, though (and I know the car isn't ever the complete picture).
Someone else had brought up the 'Contest' to which you allude. Pity.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 16:48   #409
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
... nice to have a naysayer among the ranks.
Sure thing, Netchef :-)

I also need to correct the model year of my Palio; its 2002. not much of a slip between the 1 and 2 on the keyboard, and it seemed to have escaped my 'run-thru-once-for-slipups-or-BS-meter'.

Keep up the good work. I'm glad someone is enjoying their Fabia.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 18:18   #410
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Sure thing, Netchef :-)

I also need to correct the model year of my Palio; its 2002. not much of a slip between the 1 and 2 on the keyboard, and it seemed to have escaped my 'run-thru-once-for-slipups-or-BS-meter'.

Keep up the good work. I'm glad someone is enjoying their Fabia.
crackingride: Thanks. Stop by any time to let off steam
Those Palios are tough machines- my cousin has a diesel and when it had 1 lakh kms on the clock, he swore you would not know it if you were to mask the odo.

"...slipups-or-BS-meter'..." Ha ha
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:51   #411
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Hi, I have been going through this thread since quite sometime now. Feels good to hear all postive stories from all you owners here. I myself gonna be the proud owner of it on this weekend. Booked silver elegance diesel about 10 days back. Was told that would get the delivery in 3 weeks time and getting it almost about it in 2 weeks.
What i like the most about the car is the driving position and the confidence it gives driving it hard on the curves. Performance wise felt that the car is little underpowered below 1900 rpm, quite sluggish. However as we all know once past it its a completely a different story. The sluggishness will be quite a task to drive with in this Mumbai bumper to bumper traffic. Also, din't like was the engine noise which is quite loud on a standstill. Anyone here knows if the engine noise would go down in the future, any inputs on this. Ride was simply fantastic. Had driven the civic too and found the fabia ride was much superior then it. Mainly in civic you could hear the thump sound from the suspension if you take it on a crater but on fabia getting that sound out from its suspension is one difficult part. and the features it gives don't think even the most D segment cars have them. Also, it would have been nice if skoda would have given the rear speakers too and retractable side mirrors.
Eagerly waiting to get my hands on it this weekend.

I wanted to check with the existing owners here is there any thing specific to check on during the time of delivery?

Dealer is giving teflon coating, anti rust, mud flaps as freebies. Is there anything more I can push for?

I plan to get stanley seat covers, llumar sunfilm, Hid xenon kit. Wanted to know if anyone has upgraded the light to Hid and which brands are the good ones? I saw fake bosch ones being sold on ebay but not sure good they are? Also, philips are available but don't think its VFM. How good are they compared to non branded ones?

Also, plan to get custom code remap, after 2k kms , add some good SQ speakers, sub and amp. Am sure it will be completely new car after the remap

Can't wait for the day.

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2008 at 16:09. Reason: No more than 2 smilies. Thanks
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 17:07   #412
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I plan to get stanley seat covers, llumar sunfilm, Hid xenon kit.

Also, plan to get custom code remap, after 2k kms , add some good SQ speakers, sub and amp. Am sure it will be completely new car after the remap
Invinsible:
Hey Sir. Great choice there. And with the trick bits you are planning to add, she'll be REAL special. You'll certainly be the first to Code Remap, so I'm eagerly awaiting your feedback.

Congrats. Only thing I can think of is to check the tyres for any defects at the time of delivery, just in case you're as unlucky as the lone member who found a flaw in a tyre.

By and large their Pre Delivery Inspection seems very thorough.

Good luck.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 20:40   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Invinsible:
Hey Sir. Great choice there. And with the trick bits you are planning to add, she'll be REAL special. You'll certainly be the first to Code Remap, so I'm eagerly awaiting your feedback.

Congrats. Only thing I can think of is to check the tyres for any defects at the time of delivery, just in case you're as unlucky as the lone member who found a flaw in a tyre.

By and large their Pre Delivery Inspection seems very thorough.

Good luck.
Hey Thanks. Ya am sure its gonna be one REAL Special FEEL Special Fabia after the remap and adding open filter and may be new forge side mount intercooler in future that's 105 Horses and 25kgm

Can you tell me what make are the stock tyres and whats their speed rating? Plan to upgrade them in near future along with 16 inch alloy.

Thanks.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 21:18   #414
BHPian
 
nipunkul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Can you tell me what make are the stock tyres and whats their speed rating? Plan to upgrade them in near future along with 16 inch alloy.
would be interested in the speed rating. I took my week old 1.4Mpi to Mysore on the weekend and it went around 110kph pretty easy (no pushing, no instability). I made unbanked arcs at speed without braking and the tyres performed well. tyre noise was a bit but not felt inside closed cabin.

If someone knows, is the rumor about petrol engine revamp/retune true? In this case, I would want to contact skoda for doing any enhancements on mine that they are coming up with... Dont know whether they would though...
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 10:55   #415
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Invinsible;

nipunkul;

Gentlemen: the tyres supplied on my Fabia are a Czech brand named Matador and it's likely your cars will have the same. I too felt the tyre noise was a tad high at 80/90 kmph, but I've no idea what the speed rating on them would be.

I took my diesel up to 140kmph with a full load of passengers and I read in these very pages of chaps doing 180kmph. My guess is they are safe till those speeds if not higher.

An upgrade to 16" alloys is fabulous: will it be low-profile tyres- Oh, stupid- it will HAVE to be. What brand?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 12:12   #416
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Well the one I really like is from company called Sport Tuning and its called glide. Have a look at the pic. Tyres to go with would be 195/45 R16

Also, Reg the speed rating of the tyres here's the link am sure this would help Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions
Attached Images
 
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 13:16   #417
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Well the one I really like is from company called Sport Tuning and its called glide. Have a look at the pic. Tyres to go with would be 195/45 R16

Also, Reg the speed rating of the tyres here's the link am sure this would help Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Now THAT is beautiful. Thanks for the link-shall read it anon.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 14:30   #418
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
would be interested in the speed rating. I took my week old 1.4Mpi to Mysore on the weekend and it went around 110kph pretty easy (no pushing, no instability). I made unbanked arcs at speed without braking and the tyres performed well. tyre noise was a bit but not felt inside closed cabin.

If someone knows, is the rumor about petrol engine revamp/retune true? In this case, I would want to contact skoda for doing any enhancements on mine that they are coming up with... Dont know whether they would though...
I guess, this is the first feedback on the forum from a 1.4 MPI owner. So how do you find driving the car in the city traffic?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 19:39   #419
BHPian
 
hell boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hey bro cool ride specialy the number i love your registration number 2624. Thats my bdate and my girlfriend's bdate....cheer's
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 10:48   #420
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I guess, this is the first feedback on the forum from a 1.4 MPI owner. So how do you find driving the car in the city traffic?
Yeah, it'll be terrific to hear from the two of ye in some detail as most of the Fabia owners/interest centres around the diesel. Give us your impressions about the engine, FE, NVH- especially NVH. Another area I'd like some light shed on is the handling and/or dynamics due to the lighter engine: is the front more feathery? Does she dive less during braking? Is the load on the steering wheel less? Is the car lighter overall and how does that affect the ride? Has there been any change made in the suspension? etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell boy View Post
Hey bro cool ride specialy the number i love your registration number 2624. Thats my bdate and my girlfriend's bdate....cheer's
Thanks, Sir. Good vaastu I'm sure to share a Birth date with your girl friend. As far as I'm concerned, there's a certain rhythm to it I find easy on the tongue and mind. We had a family car many moons ago which ran 2824, so that's the connect. That was an ancient but extremely reliable Standard 10. Couple of other sets of beautiful pics by Rakesh_Raja and another gent- can't tell you the pages for sure, 21 I think, but do check them out. Lovely images, and RR's show off a very cool Kerala.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI kunaalsaigal Hatchbacks 34 1st June 2011 18:31
Artist Impressions: 2014 Skoda Fabia and 2014 Skoda Laura karanraheja The International Automotive Scene 11 14th February 2011 19:43
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks